Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. - Politics (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. (1227636 Views)

Looters Risk 20yrs In Jail As Reps Moves For Economic And Financial Crimes Cour / Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? / Anambra State Light Of The Nation. Economic And Political Powerhouse Of Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (524) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Yeske2(m): 9:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
Seen this, we're going higher
http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/minister-hails-rising-anambras-gdp/
Minister hails rising Anambra’s GDP
by CHARLES OKEKE on Feb 19, 2014 | No
comments
Posted under: News
The Supervisory Minister of National Planning and
Minister of State for Works, Bashir Yuguda, has
revealed how the economy of Anambra State has
grown, leading to about 40 percent rise in its
Gross Domestic Product (GDP) from N735.80
billion in 2009 to N1.005 trillion in 2011.
The minister expressed happiness over the
impressive rise in the state’s GDP, noting that it
grew better than those of some African and
Caribbean countries.
Speaking yesterday while presenting the Pilot
Survey Findings on the GDP to the members of
the Anambra State Executive Council at the
Governor’s Lodge in Awka, the state capital,
Yuguda attributed the rise to purposeful
leadership of Governor Peter Obi.
He said that the Pilot Survey Scheme conducted
by the National Planning Commission in
collaboration with the National Bureau of
Statistics in seven states selected from the six
geo-political zones would be completed by
December.
The minister disclosed that the findings were
based on data generated from agriculture,
industry and other services using production and
income approaches, with agriculture recording 30
percent; industry four percent and service sector
66 percent.
He assured that the commission would commence
immediate updating of the GDP to capture the
numerous achievements recorded since 2010
when the last study was conducted before the
end of Governor Obi’s tenure.
The Statistician General of the Federation, Mr.
Yemi Kale, said Anambra was one of the most
developed states in the country.
Kale urged the people of Anambra State to take
advantage of the huge opportunity in small and
medium enterprises potential to improve internally
generated revenue.
Responding, Governor Obi said Anambra had
achieved a lot in all sectors, adding that it
recorded robust direct foreign investments by
multi-national companies.
The governor noted that the state had the highest
number of bank branches after Lagos and Abuja,
which he said was an indication of viable
economic growth.
Obi said: “Anamrba remains the only state that
has not borrowed in the country.”
He said the rating of Anambra in the pilot survey
was a strong statement of the status of the state
in the country.
Also speaking, the Secretary to the State
Government, Mr Oseloka Obaze, said Anambra
ranked higher in direct foreign investment.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Cuche: 9:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
FreeGlobe:
Ndukwe can never win Anambra south even with Emeka offor's support. For Anambra North Mrs. oduah can be said to be running unupposed. I don't also see Victor umeh winning central too. my take
Emeka Offor has not come out to say he is supporting Ndukwe. Emeka Offor is unrepentant in his support of PDP financially or otherwise. Ndukwe should try his luck but it is not gonna be easy. By the way, he did nothing tangible in his former capacity as NCC boss for Anambra people. He is hardly in touch with home, a fine house he has
Best wishes to him
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Yeske2(m): 9:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
Schematics:
I welcome all the diasporans to the Light of the Nation.. cool

Anambra obodo oyibo.. cheesy
Don't give them HBP before they arrive na, make dem enter first. Omambala, God's own state, make Ndi abia no vex o, using the slogan just this once

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Yeske2(m): 9:46pm On Dec 21, 2014
OkijaAmaka:
Though APGA have more credible and people oriented candidate than PDP but the latter being the congregation of crooks can armtwist the former ma fee mee anya ura.

Central...APGA vs PDP- Ohamadike.

South....APGA vs PDP. Ndukwe.

North....APGA vs PDP. I love both.

Even in Abia State APGA still have a better guber candidate tha PDP, even in Imo too.

APGA is not just a political party but group of resourced gentlemen on rescue mission of Igboland.
Aside Ndukwe for your list, I for just swear for you. Ohamadike is just there Biko and Stella for Anambra north has integrity issues. Let's not argue about her here nna inorder not to derail
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Energito: 9:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
Some pictures i took at awka this evening during my visit.

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
Isn't that Obi and Ilozumba,the commissioner of works and housing development?
Secondly,Victor Umeh need to stop following Obiano around.

Tell PDP chairman Adamu Muazu to stop following GEJ around. He follows GEJ every where he goes if you have been watching the news since he came in. Likewise, Victor Umeh follows Obiano everywhere he goes. When both; the executive branch and its party are united, there is less distraction from party affairs and the government functions smoothly as planned. Obiano needs Umeh to implement his ideas smoothly without unnecessary distraction or some rogues hijacking the party to disrupt his government that is working on over drive!

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Energito: 10:09pm On Dec 21, 2014

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 21, 2014
Energito:

Nice pictures. Things are shaping up daily! A new Anambra is emerging!

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by 3dankey(m): 12:11am On Dec 22, 2014
Energito:

Nice Energito, I think this are pictures of the new flyover @ awka

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by 3dankey(m): 12:25am On Dec 22, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:
I heard that INNOSON is considering 3 showrooms/maintenance shops in Abuja, Lagos and Port Harcourt.
I am sure these three locations will have adequate geographic spread to distribute their vehicles across Nigeria. Especially the cheapest, IVM Fox, design to be affordable for the working class family.

INNOSON should consider acquiring one haulage truck for transporting his vehicles to these showrooms/ maintenance facility. So that they remain in pristine condition at the show rooms.

I see Innoson going places both outside nigeria and within this country. I think they should consider having showrooms in other African countries like Ghana and Benin. Also the company need to recruit young and vibrant marketers to tell people about product. Apart from Nairaland you can hardly hear of Innoson other places.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by kewes: 12:36am On Dec 22, 2014
please nd please stop this your obodo oyibo of a thing it sounds childish,anambra is a work in progress quote author=Schematics post=29083230]I welcome all the diasporans to the Light of the Nation.. cool

Anambra obodo oyibo.. cheesy[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Gamechanger: 2:27am On Dec 22, 2014
Cuche:

Most of the persons fielded by APGA in the upcoming elections are no match for the guys in PDP. I think the problem APGA may have is that tickets were just handed to friends and associates of Chief Umeh. PDP, which was notorious for fraudulent primaries was carefully in conducting its primaries in Anambra. A neigbour in the house of reps was not even sure of winning till the results came out . He was so stressed that week despite having the power of incumbency

Talking as if you know who the candidates of PDP are. Are you the only one who doesn't know that PDP has 3 or more candidates for each post in this election . Can you tell who amongst Chris Ubah, Andy Ubah, Obinna Uzoh or Chuma Nzeribe is the PDP candidate for Anambra South? All of them are claiming victory while INEC says its sticking with Chris Ubah faction.

I think ur conclusions on how the APGA candidates are inferior would have waited until the inec says the persons u mentioned are the candidates!

And can you tell me one aspirant that was cheated out, in the senatorial race, in APGA. Or the ones that could have been better but didn't make it because they were not Umeh's friends. Let truth be our watchword in this forum as we don't gain anything by deceiving our brothers.

Would have said more on this but i had to strike a balance between correcting an erroneous impression and derailing this our wonderful thread.

BTW, If anybody creates a thread on the strength and weaknesses of the candidates in Anambra, we meet there.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by cjrane: 4:24am On Dec 22, 2014
Energito:
The state governemnt should apply for reimbursement for this flyover project.

The FG should normally build a flyover over these major roads while building an expressway. You don't just bisect the roads in a city to build expressway through them.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Bishop42: 5:42am On Dec 22, 2014
3dankey:

I see Innoson going places both outside nigeria and within this country. I think they should consider having showrooms in other African countries like Ghana and Benin. Also the company need to recruit young and vibrant marketers to tell people about product. Apart from Nairaland you can hardly hear of Innoson other places.
Bro, there are so many Beautiful IVM Buses on Abuja roads thesedays. Most are usually government owned and are White in colour.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 5:45am On Dec 22, 2014
Lolzzzzzz

who said ndigbo dont take tailoring serious, have you gone to Aba, where in this world if not in Paris and Milan will you find tailors that may compete with Aba tailors.

Yes tailoring in Onitsha is down by yorubas including weaving but in Aba no outsider dares them

Yeske2:
You're right in a way but i feel Ndigbo anyi really don't take tailoring as an avenue they can actually make money so relegated it to outsiders, just like like okada riders had been relegated long ago

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 5:49am On Dec 22, 2014
Who no get intergrity issue in Nigeria, a criminal is now the emir of Kano and nobody questioned his integrity, this is how we igbos always put nigeria foward in everything we are doing and keep losing out.

Let her go there and represent well abeg

Yeske2:
Aside Ndukwe for your list, I for just swear for you. Ohamadike is just there Biko and Stella for Anambra north has integrity issues. Let's not argue about her here nna inorder not to derail

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Bishop42: 6:06am On Dec 22, 2014
This is the kind of IVM Buses that are mostly seen plying Abuja roads...They zoom past me every minute. I guess there are more than 500 of them in Abuja.

7 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Energito: 6:16am On Dec 22, 2014
3dankey:

Nice Energito, I think this are pictures of the new flyover @ awka
yea,this is the one at aroma

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 22, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Is papal knighthood different from a regular knighthood?

Yes it is. The Papal knighthoods are bestowed in the name of, and by the direct authorization of the Pope. This makes it very exclusive.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Cuche: 7:07am On Dec 22, 2014
Gamechanger:

Talking as if you know who the candidates of PDP are. Are you the only one who doesn't know that PDP has 3 or more candidates for each post in this election . Can you tell who amongst Chris Ubah, Andy Ubah, Obinna Uzoh or Chuma Nzeribe is the PDP candidate for Anambra South? All of them are claiming victory while INEC says its sticking with Chris Ubah faction.

I think ur conclusions on how the APGA candidates are inferior would have waited until the inec says the persons u mentioned are the candidates!

And can you tell me one aspirant that was cheated out, in the senatorial race, in APGA. Or the ones that could have been better but didn't make it because they were not Umeh's friends. Let truth be our watchword in this forum as we don't gain anything by deceiving our brothers.

Would have said more on this but i had to strike a balance between correcting an erroneous impression and derailing this our wonderful thread.

BTW, If anybody creates a thread on the strength and weaknesses of the candidates in Anambra, we meet there.
INEC recognized and Supervised only a faction, Go to INEC office and ask for the list of candidates.
Asking for the ones that were not Umeh's friends/associates or persons who could be cheated out is like asking me why APGA had many deserters earlier this year.
Why were the selected candidates under Chief Umeh jittery about the possibility of a fresh primaries following the court ruling that said Umeh cannot be Party Chairman and Senatorial Candidate at the same time
They are not sure of their popularity most of whom their emergence was more like the APGA- government local government elections in the State.
I don't have anything personal against Umeh and his rising profile, I do remember his struggle and patience between 2003 - 2006
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Bishop42: 7:35am On Dec 22, 2014
OkijaAmaka:
Who no get intergrity issue in Nigeria, a criminal is now the emir of Kano and nobody questioned his integrity, this is how we igbos always put nigeria foward in everything we are doing and keep losing out.

Let her go there and represent well abeg

"we igbos always put nigeria foward in everything we are doing and keep losing out."

You mean the few igbo wannabes. I have lots of these people as friends on facebook. I just don't understand how these guys minds work. Sometimes i feel really ashamed having them as friend.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Yeske2(m): 8:10am On Dec 22, 2014
@okijaamaka and bishop, let's please forget the argument in order not to derail the thread please. We'll discuss it on another thread, thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by 3dankey(m): 9:57am On Dec 22, 2014
Bishop42:
This is the kind of IVM Buses that are mostly seen plying Abuja roads...They zoom past me every minute. I guess there are more than 500 of them in Abuja.

Whenever I see Innoson cars mostly in Asaba and Abuja i feel very happy for us (IGBO's), who can imagine that we can attain such height. Don't be deceived my brothers, Innoson have the capacity to change the face of manufacturing in the east.
We all know that Innoson would have being frustrated a long time ago,but thank God that Gej is in power. I wish Innoson will work on tyre manufacturing now that mechellin and dunlop are no more.

8 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by tandj: 10:59am On Dec 22, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 12:03pm On Dec 22, 2014
tandj:
Pls who has a picture of innoson motors owner should post it for me to see.
Wish I can meet that man.
I respectfully admire him.
He is a hero.

Here is Innocent Chukwuma!

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Schematics: 1:05pm On Dec 22, 2014
Anambra on a consistent rise. GEJ till 2019.. cheesy

The Federal Government, on Saturday, laid the foundation for the construction of an ultra-modern School of Aeronautic and Aircraft Maintenance Engineering in Ogbaru, Anambra State.

Former Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah, who spoke at the ceremony, said the foundation stone laying ceremony marks the full commencement of the project at Akili-Ozuzo, Ogbaru Local Government Area, adding that the project was aimed at inculcating practical and technical knowledge to students of the Federal Polytechnic, Oko.

The ceremony took place earlier before a grand reception organised for Oduah by Ogbaru people. She said the school, when completed, would, among other things, afford students of high institution the technical and practical know-how in order to be more employable, adding that the school will give the students multiple knowledge and make them acquire experience.

According to her, the school will contribute in multiple aspect of students’ lives and give them knowledge as they will acquire skills and practical knowledge to be employable in the near future, as she hoped that it will help the students to be better people in future.

Oduah expressed optimism that the project, which was initially mapped to gulp N250 million, will be completed on time and on specification, while commending President Goodluck Jonathan for the new innovative he had brought into educational sector.

Rector of the Federal Polytechnic Oko, Godwin Onu, said the project was part of his mission statement when he assumed office as the rector of the Institution to expand the scope of learning in the school by bringing in School of Aeronautic and Aircraft Maintenance Engineering as well as Marine Engineering into the school.

“Apart from the aeronautic and aircraft maintenance engineering, the school shall also train students on other sections of aviation like training air hostesses and other people working in the aircraft, so that we will not again depend on using people abroad each time they need to maintain their aircraft, we shall be serving the aviation sector from here,” he said.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/06/fg-build-aircraft-maintenance-school-anambra/

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Energito: 8:46pm On Dec 22, 2014
Some part of the road that leads to Aroma flyover is already being done.

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
Nice roads;I like the color of the dirt....kinda gold color.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:01pm On Dec 22, 2014
Energito:
Some part of the road that leads to Aroma flyover is already being done.

Are they gonna cover the gutter?
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2014
Anambra economic climate warming up for another year of economic and investment boom.

The investment climate of Anambra State seems bright as the state government projects to attract about $1.5 billion worth of foreign direct investments into the state's economy by the first quarter of 2015.

Already, the government says, in the past 10 months of the Governor Willie Obiano-led administration in the state, it has invested over $1.2 billion on the development of infrastructure across various sectors of the state's economy, including agriculture, power generation, the hospitality industry, among others.

Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism in the State, Chief Anthony Onyima, said in Awka, Anambra State capital that already, the state government had invested about $1.2 billion on infrastructural developments including agriculture, power generation, hospitality industry among others. He reiterated government's commitment to the transformation of the state to a first choice investment destination across the South East region.

Onyinma who was special guest at the formal opening of the new ultra-modern office complex of Brande Aristotle in Awka commended the frontline advertising agency for what he called " the high level of professionalism" displayed by the agency in delivering top class marketing communications services in the state.

The Commissioner who noted that Brande Aristotle was the first Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON) registered, and Association of Advertising Agencies of Nigeria (AAAN) certified agency to open shop in the South East, charged the agency not to relent in its efforts, adding that, given the high level of expected investment inflow to the state, there would be need for more professional advice to investors by a competent advertising agency, in the highly specialised area of marketing communications.

"So far, we are satisfied with the quality of value you are adding presently to our state. We are glad your agency was convinced to come to Awka. The quality of professionalism we see in you is definitely unmatched" he said.

In his remark at the occasion, Managing Director and Chief Creative Officer, Brande Aristotle Limited, Mr Tony Odili Ujubuonu stated that the agency was committed to the task of delivering high quality marketing communication service to clients, adding that the move to open an office in Awka was the agency's way of telling investors that the capacity was available to give support and to add value to every enterprise.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:34pm On Dec 22, 2014
Gov. Obiano's moving speech at Chief Sir Peter Obi knighthood mass.

The governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano has charged his predecessor in office, Sir Peter Obi and the Hon Commissioner for Works in the state, Sir CallistusIlozumba to use their new position as Knights of St Sylvester to wage a fierce war that will liberate the poor and the voiceless in the society.

Speaking at the special mass held at St Patrick Catholic Church, Awka to mark the investiture of the duo as Knights of St Sylvester, Governor Obiano observed that Knighthood was not an end to the journey but a call to service to mankind.

Brilliantly recalling the historic Siege of Malta when the Ottoman Empire invaded the little island of Malta in 1565 and the heroic exploits of the knightsin the eventual rescue of Malta, Governor Obiano declared that the knighthood demands a high level of social responsiveness from the recipients.

“The same spirit that the knights displayed in liberating Malta from the invading Ottoman armies is what I urge you to adopt in fighting the ills of the society and rescuing the social order. Do not hesitate to draw your swords to defend the poor, the needy, the hungry and those that don’t have people to talk for them. That’s why they gave you the swords you now carry,” Governor Obiano enthused.

Spicing up his brilliant speech with humour, Governor Obiano jocularly remarked that he was happy when the National President of the Association of Papal Knights and Medalists, Sir Patrick Ikemefuna mentioned the fact that there were two categories of knighthood which no man had attained because according to him, as a relative of the Blessed Father Tansi, he would aspire to attain them after serving two terms in office.

The governor paid glowing tributes to former Governor Obi, members of his cabinet and members of the Anambra State House of Assembly who passed the law that gave schools back to the Mission in Anambra State.

“But more importantly, I want to specially recognize APGA for producing somebody like Chief Peter Obi because without APGA there will not be Peter Obi. On this note, I pray that God will continue to bless and guide protect and guide Chief Sir Peter Obi and of course Chief Sir CallistusIlozumba and all of us,” Governor Obiano remarked, urging the church to hold him up in prayers.

Also speaking at the investiture, the Presidential Adviser on Inter-party Affairs, Senator Ben Obi observed that Sir Peter Obi served Anambra with humility, love and compassion and made immense contributions to nation building.

Earlier in his Homily, the Bishop of Awka Diocese, Most Rev. DrPaulinusEzeokafor had lauded Sir Obi’s eight-year regime for setting a shining example for his successors. He praised the former governor’s famed humility which made him not to use siren and for always staying in the back seat whenever he was late to mass.

The Investiture attracted Anambra’s pre-eminent sons and daughters including former Vice President, Dr. Alex Ekwueme and his wife, Chief Sir Victor Umeh, National Chairman of APGA, Dr. NkemOkeke, Deputy Governor of Anambra State, Hon. Oseloka Obaze, SSG, Prof. ABC Nwosu, former Minister of Health, Iyom Uche Ekwunife, Senator Joy Emordi, Senator Annie Okonkwo as well as the Governor of Abia State, Chief Theodore Oji among many others.
Willie-Is- Working at 19:35

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:54pm On Dec 22, 2014
bid to create awareness on the need to check the rising cases of cancer in Nigeria received a big boost Friday, when the wife of Anambra State governor, Chief (Mrs.) Ebelechukwun Obiano led a road campaign march tagged “Walk for Hope to End Cancer Now” to create awareness on the cancer scourge and raise fund for the establishment of an Ultra-modern Cancer Treatment Centre in Awka, Anambra State.

The awareness march which was organized by the Anambra State Association (ASA) Women USA in collaboration with the Office of the Wife of Governor of Anambra State, Anambra Broadcasting Service (ABS), Anambra State Women Association Lagos, Breast without Spot and Saint Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onitsha has as its theme: “Every Life Deserves World Class Care.” The march preceded a seminar at the field of the ABS, Awka, witnessed the campaigners comprising of young and old men and women trek more than two and half kilometres from ABS complex through Aroma Junction en route Enugu-Onitsha Expressway to the Office of the Governor, before terminating at the Office of the Wife of the Governor.

Speaking after receiving the campaigners, Governor Willie Obiano who spoke through the Commissioner for Information, Chief Tony Onyima lauded the visit and expressed the hope that the walk would draw more attention to the proposed Cancer Treatment Centre being embarked upon by the ASA Women USA with the support of the State government.

President Anambra State Association (ASA) Women USA, Dr. Mrs. Uche Umeh, Special Assistant, Primary Health, Dr. Chioma Ezenyimulu and Anambra State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Joe Akabuike during the Walk for Hope to End Cancer Now held in Awka during the weekend.

Earlier in an address to the participants, the wife of the governor, Chief (Mrs.) Obiano represented by the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Primary Health, Dr. Mrs. Chioma Ezenyimulu identified with the mission of the organizers to promote this noble and selfless initiative of Walk for Hope to End Cancer, stressing that “It is interesting that you chose this avenue of physical exercise of Walk to draw attention and create awareness about the threat of Cancer and the need for its early detection and prevention especially amongst our women.”

While commending the association’s focus and think-home philosophy which informed the idea of hosting the event back home, Chief (Mrs.) Obiano expressed her gratitude with her choice and decoration as The Grand Marshal of the Day, which she said was an acknowledgement of “her interest in ensuring that anything that would advance the well-being of the family and the woman must be tackled with a sense of duty and commitment.
`
“I know that apart from the sacrifices of time, you have also put-in enormous resources to sustain your association and the organization of this Walk for Hope to End Cancer Now! It is a fitting call to action which must be embraced by all and sundry since cancer is a disease that knows neither age nor gender and does not have any quick fix other than early detection and prevention. It is against this background that I encourage Ndi Anambra and other health conscious citizens to contribute to the Fundraising for this programme by donating to the cause. Mrs. Obiano observed.

Furthermore the wife of the governor said, “I have no doubt that this Walk for Hope to End cancer would boost awareness about cancer amongst Ndi Anambra especially our women and hopefully lead to more early detections and positive actions that would dispel the erroneous impressions, rumours and beliefs that influence people’s lack of urgency in seeking medical help. My hope is that today many more persons would hear this message of hope and tell others thereby spreading the gospel which would ultimately help many avoid and survive the scourge of cancer.”

Chief (Mrs.) Ebelechukwu Obiano, Founder of Caring Family Enhancement Initiative (CAFÉ) noted that this Walk for Hope awareness tallies with some of the programmes undertaken by her pet project to empower women and take care of the less privileged in the society, asserting that “as we travel through the nooks and crannies of Anambra State we carry the message of Hope against cancer to our women, mothers and sisters and teach them ways of testing themselves for early detection and prevention of cancer.”

According to Mrs. Obiano, CAFÉ is a non-governmental, nonpartisan organization with a vision to be the beacon of sustainable empowerment for women and the less privileged, has the mandate “to care for the less privileged and reduce women-child vulnerability while maintaining the dignity of persons with disabilities in Anambra state. CAFÉ also galvanizes resources for the uplifting of orphans, children in need and the physically challenged. CAFÉ attends to both skilled and non-skilled persons as well as indigent rural women in the177 communities of Anambra state.”

She also urged the organizers and participants to take advantage of the overall improving infrastructure and conditions of life made possible by the administration of her husband, governor Obiano (Akpokuodike) to make it an annual event so that “we will attract more converts towards the cause of cancer prevention and eradication. As we look forward to next year’s edition of Walk for Hope to End Cancer, I urge you to make today’s Walk memorable – let’s make more converts! Spread the gospel and prevent cancer.”

In her remark, the National President of ASA Women USA, Dr. Mrs. Uche Umeh revealed that the idea of the programme came about following repeated manifestation of cancer in women mostly in the rural areas during the 2009 and 2010 as well as 2013 and 2014 ASA Women USA Medical Missions on cancer and maternal health, lamenting that indigent women lack access to fund for adequate health care.

Dr. Mrs. Umeh stated that ASA Women USA has acquired a parcel of land at the Anambra State University Teaching Hospital Amaku – Awka, for the construction and equipping of a world-class Cancer Treatment Centre covering construction and equipment cost to the tune between 80 to 100 million US Dollars.

The Commissioner for health, Dr. Joe Akabuike said the best way to prevent cancer was by early detection and treatment while the Managing Director of ABS, Mr. Uche Nworah assured the ASA Women USA and others participants of continued partnership of the Radio-Television Station to promote its cause and interests of raising awareness on cancer and building cancer centre.

Also speaking, the Nigerian Coordinator of ASA Women USA, Hon. Dr. Bridget Obi expressed amazement at the massive turn out of people to identify with the event organized to create awareness on the cancer scourge, raise fund as well as rally support for the Ultra-Modern ASA Women Cancer Centre and commended the National President and her team for sacrificing their time, energy and money in ameliorating the plight of the sufferers of cancer.
She stated that the Walk for Hope to End Cancer would achieve its desired result in the shortest possible time and bring hope to patients especially the indigent ones.

The President of Breast Without Spot, one of the participating groups at the ceremony, Professor Ifeoma J. Okoye, a Professor of Radiology, disclosed that the walk was necessitated by ignorance of people to embrace early medical attention to prevent development of full blown cancer, with the result that cases of death from cancer were put, by her at 17, 000 daily.She lamented that over 70,000 Nigerians including men travel to India especially for Cancer-related cases regretting that most sufferers seek for medical attention late when the disease had developed to the third and fourth stages of hopelessness.

Prof. Okoye who is a Consultant radiology at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku – Ozalla, Enugu State and Chairperson Association for Good Clinical Practice in Nigeria gave hope that “cancer is curable” especially cervical cancer if detected early enough, stressing that there was need to upscale vaccine programme, embark on regular clinical examination and mammography as well as improve general awareness creation especially using the media of communication. The event attracted senior government officials, members of ASA Women USA, Breast without Spot, Federal Road Safety Corps, Security agencies, civil society organizations and media houses.

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (524) (Reply)

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. / Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.