Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,384 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? (23156 Views)

Students, Start Now To Prepare For Life After School / OAU Best Student Says He Avoided Cramming / How Yo Improve In Your Cramming Ability (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by azunlimited(m): 8:14pm On Oct 04, 2014
vincent561:
We once crammed the multiplication table.

Guy yu get brain
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by udemzyudex(m): 8:29pm On Oct 04, 2014
cramming is a no no for me,thats why it is good and very important for students to start reading immediately they resume school after vacation,reading that same note for more than 3months will make the person to understand instead of waiting for 1week to the exam before reading.

We are all different,some prefer to read only on the day of exam,yeah i have a course mate who like doing that,though i wonder how she manage to write well using that method.

Talking about remembering what was taught during last semester,the brain can't recall all what you have learnt,you can't remember all what you did in high school thats why it is good to read and understand instead of cramming.. Practise make perfect.

Cramming is bad,yeah very bad cos it doesn't make you to understand what you're reading.

the system of education in this country encourages cramming,where students are being test to fail..

Whatever rocks your boat...
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by UmecheMoses(m): 8:34pm On Oct 04, 2014
This is my thought on this issue.
The brain like every other organ in the human body needs to be exercised. One way this exercise is done is through constant reading, storing and recall. Cramming does this to the brain, it trains the brain to do a short term storage and makes it a habit, in the end, you'll discover that, you cannot retain information for a long time. If you practise storing and recalling, rhe brain gradually stores information and allows you make use of it on a long term basis. Therefore, cramming or quick fixing, damages the brain and can leave you in a mess. Questions that require applied knowledge and reasoning outside the scope of your study can leave you devastated.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Mujinho4b(m): 8:35pm On Oct 04, 2014
Surest tin in my schl... Tho Am sure it won't affect me after Schl sha undecided
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 04, 2014
Not at all
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 04, 2014
It's not possible to forget all that you've crammed at a certain time.Some fragments still remain in your memory. Cramming becomes necessary if what you are reading ain't even practical at that moment but were imagined in your mind's eyes. When you leave school and get to do what you studied in school,everything starts to make perfect sense.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Aitee1: 8:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
chibwike:
I can affect guys, buh it cant affect girls

i dont seem to get u...

Can u elaborate?
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
if u be futarian. . .u must cram. . .if u see some definitions. . .chai. . .u go forget understandin nd u go cram am sharp sharp. . .u neva see where guyz dey cram mts solution 4 head. . .u go fear cramin. . .bro just get good grade 4 naija 1st nd go level ur masterz 4 abroad. . .shikena
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by razzyguy: 9:06pm On Oct 04, 2014
ElekeNtioba:
its very bad especially if you intend studying further. U find out u still resort to cramming because u failed to develop d ability to read and understand. It affects ur psyche as a scholar.

It equally leaves u vulnerable (so to speak) when u are asked to further explain d stuff u managed to cram while in school.

It has its uses sometimes bt it's a habit not worth inculcating by an ideal student.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Arsenate(m): 9:06pm On Oct 04, 2014
if you can do both I.e cram and understand; then the sky is your fuuucking limit.
I know what I'm saying.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by prowlG: 9:07pm On Oct 04, 2014
It won't affect you after school, it will even help you alot especially if your work logical.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by fairheven: 9:08pm On Oct 04, 2014
Nothing can be compared with practical know-how;if you put a Nigerian aeronautic engineer and an American aeronautic Engi neer in a class,the Nigerian student wud keep coming tops,with the help of CRamming,but compare both of them like 10years after school years,the American wud go on,possibly to manufacture a plane,or develop aproblem solving technique,due to his practical inclination,but the Nigerian wud properly be looking for job.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by xenaxena(f): 9:16pm On Oct 04, 2014
Chrylich:

or rather, it is working for you and it might later stop..

The problem actually is with most of us living in the moment.

nope...itz nt a matter of living in d presence........itzz me.....I've been like dat since primary sch,I crammed thru examz thruout my sec sch.....I passed out wiv a good result....I find it real hard to study during normal timez nt cos am dull buh cos itz been in my system since like forever.....you guyz may be right,it might nt work for some pipu so am nt encouraging it...am a vewi playful person buh 3 weeks into examz I completely change.....................am getting excellent points right nw ......lol....its still working for me
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by tallfact: 9:23pm On Oct 04, 2014
Its depends solely on the environment you found yourself. Its pays in Nigeria because most teachers and lectures give good marks only to students that can recopy word for word as they were given in class. If you write something different you have lesser mark even if your answers were correct but from another source.

If you are smart this can not affect you life or work in future. Nigerians are only certificate savvy.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by tallfact: 9:25pm On Oct 04, 2014
It depends solely on the environment you found yourself. It pays in Nigeria because most teachers and lectures give good marks only to students that can recopy word for word as they were given in class. If you write something different you have lesser mark even if your answers were correct but from another source.

If you are smart this can not affect you life or work in future. Nigerians are only certificate savvy. So go for it by being smart.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Luxiana19(f): 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2014
datguru:
I will update this space in the next 30 minutes
thirty minutes noni
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by khattab008: 9:29pm On Oct 04, 2014
For me it depends on the nature of the course(s) in question.
Some statistical/mathematical courses require some of cramming but not much IMO.
But some courses like mine (social sciences) it will be rewarding in the long run to read, understand and apply it what happens around you, that way it helps you appreciate the course better.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Kunlexic(m): 9:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
There is notin gud like read and understand,if u are cramming it may not have effect nw and from cramming some topics,u won't forget it 4 life but there will still be a time wen cramming won't work again
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:48pm On Oct 04, 2014
youngice:
Yes and No
depends on the course and person ,
Some subjects are irrelevant to your course of study.
Like in my first year we took IBO
And I'm studying EEE in FUTO, wetin join me and IBO I'm not even ibo , so Na cram and pour sure pass
and that means u're in 200level. how ws your math 202 exams today?
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by lawrenceunaa: 9:50pm On Oct 04, 2014
youngice:
Yes and No
depends on the course and person ,
Some subjects are irrelevant to your course of study.
Like in my first year we took IBO
And I'm studying EEE in FUTO, wetin join me and IBO I'm not even ibo , so Na cram and pour sure pass
it is not ibo but igbo
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by lawrenceunaa: 9:56pm On Oct 04, 2014
Gleefreak125:
Now my question is; can this have an effect on one's performance when one starts working? For those who crammed while in school, how has it affected/is it affecting your performance at work?
but op i don't cram but memorize

am unique undecided
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Chrylich(m): 10:06pm On Oct 04, 2014
xenaxena:
nope...itz nt a matter of living in d presence........itzz me.....I've been like dat since primary sch,I crammed thru examz thruout my sec sch.....I passed out wiv a good result....I find it real hard to study during normal timez nt cos am dull buh cos itz been in my system since like forever.....you guyz may be right,it might nt work for some pipu so am nt encouraging it...am a vewi playful person buh 3 weeks into examz I completely change.....................am getting excellent points right nw ......lol....its still working for me

well, if that actually is the case, good luck.. I just hope that trend doesn't continue.. You still have a very long way to go and sticking to "3 weeks to go" is in my own opinion not a very good idea unless you are not planning to go for so long..

and pls, try not to train your children that way, the world actually needs "thinkers" and not "crammers"..
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by killercute16(m): 10:14pm On Oct 04, 2014
FRANCISEKE1:
Make the grade and acquire knowledge abroad, no time grin grin grin grin
Nw thats my nigga talking.

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by fisayoolowo: 10:24pm On Oct 04, 2014
You can cram and all, the most important thing is know the salient parts and know what the course is about, that way ul pass ur exam and still have an idea of the course..pretty easy.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by khk01: 10:30pm On Oct 04, 2014
Cramming helps sometimes as nigeria students read to pass not to understand...Dat one nah naija 4 u ooo,after exam come ask me again,wetin I won use am do

1 Like

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Farouksenior: 10:40pm On Oct 04, 2014
Dt moment u step into exam hall.
Nd everytin u crammed flies out.
Wit a course lyk Computational maths in EEE.

Sowi na ur middle namE.

For dos grads.of EEE. In d house. Una no reason say 90% of d cal. In sch dey useless outside here?
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by youngice(m): 10:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
PerfectlyPerfect:

and that means u're in 200level. how ws your math 202 exams today?
I'm in 300l

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Agimor(m): 10:47pm On Oct 04, 2014
Cramming screw your head after sch.
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Abeos(m): 11:34pm On Oct 04, 2014
olaboy001:
Space to let
hw muh
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by Mjjordan(m): 12:09am On Oct 05, 2014
as one lecturer would say...
''Cramming is part of learning''
Re: Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? by holatoj(m): 12:31am On Oct 05, 2014
#space booked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Professor Olayemi Durotimi Accused Of Sexual Impropriety, Drunkenness / 5 Interesting Ways Whatsapp Is Helping Nigerian Students / 16-Year-Old Scores 8As In Recently Released WAEC Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.