Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... (43857 Views)

Your Intelligence Is Needed Here / Utter Ridiculous.. There Is Education And Then There Is Enlightenment / Your Votes Are Needed Here: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:09am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

It is bit corny when a Northerner expects people to respond in his dialect and travels to the South and still insist on speaking his dialect to others....you see where the unwanton pride and specialness emerges from.

Guy,chill out.
Northerners speak their dialect because everybody understands it. It isnt about pride...just the way it is. How do you expect me to speak a dialect I am not familiar with ,when I can speak the one you will understand without any difficulties.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Dainfamous: 1:09am On Oct 21, 2014
[b]Ndi Igbo were already in existence well before Zik was born....A pity that Achebe was very young when he wrote the Things Fall Apart and thus he did not fully understand the problem that he certainly perceived. Also he did not set the book as history but as literature thus reducing its importance to the Igbos. Achebe noticed that we were ready to abandon what had worked for us for thousands of years and follow what the whiteman brought. ...I doubt if we are still in doubt that the whiteman's way did not work for us. .....Its this tendency to drop/abandon and follow or copy that is the problem. If Zik was guilty of anything it was that he did not start a struggle to draw the Igbo person back to the Igbo way of life. Immediately the Igbo left his own way of life he became the proverbial fish in the pond...available for everybody to fish. And if I catch you as a fish be sure that I have caught your resources in too. I want to believe that if we had not joined the whiteman by copying his way of life that the whiteman would have tried, but would have failed to amalgamate us to the other groups in Nigeria that have risen to take his place as our overlords. He would have gotten tired of trying. To confirm if this could have happened this way, read the history of Japan that European intervention abutted into. When the Europeans discovered that the Japanese were not ready to drop their culture and religion they stopped trying to colonize them. Also btw if we had tried to remain ourselves, assuming that we failed to fight off the colonialists, colonialism and its follow up: amalgamation wouldn't have been as onerous and destructive as they have been. The inability to know and realize who we are is the problem, because if you don't know who you are, you can begin to strive to become somebody-else-even your enemy..[/b]
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:12am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Simply because everybody understands him! He isn't forcing the many southerners who reply him constantly in his dialect, is he? wink
Those responses come from people that are saddled with complexies. Anyway,like i said, strange dialects are exotic. In my sorjourne in Northern Igboland, people respond back in my dialect. It's a two way thing. None is better than they other.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:13am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol,i should read your material,when i have already discussed this in my first post which you decided to ignore?
At the end of the day, Igbo izugbe is based on Southern Igbo dialects.

Yes you need to read the material to update your knowledge. It wasn't written by me but rather by a foreign author who's wrote on it as part of his research work and was assisted by Late Adiele Afigbo of blessed memory. You feel that because Central Igbo was based on southern dialects, hence southern dialects must be 'spectacular' in some sense and hence needlessly flaunt central Igbo as your weapon to counter Northern Igbo dialects. While the actual underlying reason for its selection rises in the search for Isuama Igbo.

@bold...yes that's true if considering the vocabulary of Central Igbo. But if considering the sentence structure, no it's not.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:14am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol, o wuhu about idi oku. O wu about itufu ipa oke a nu n' ala Igbo. O di njoo, o nwehu onye ka ibeya adinma. Anyi dum bu otu. Period.

Onwee onye sii na Anambra ka Igbo ndi ozo mma,ebea?
Mmadu bataa ebea, juo ajuju ufodu ndi kowalia na etu fa si ghota ginwa bulu ogbaghala bata.
Omume gia di ka anya ufu. Ekenekwaa m' gi.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:15am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Kelechi Okonkwo is from Anambra,i guess he should start speaking Ohuhu.

The lead musician of 7 Stars group from Imo state known for his popular Anambra song, 'Ifeoma' should adopt Anambra citizenship then. smiley
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:16am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Guy,chill out.
Northerners speak their dialect because everybody understands it. It isnt about pride...just the way it is. How do you expect me to speak a dialect I am not familiar with ,when I can speak the one you will understand without any difficulties.
Who said everyone can understand Northern dialects straight ahead? Lol
You have not meant people that don't understand it.
I hope you know the Northern Dialect we are talking about is the one used in Enugu/Anambra metropolis- NCI. And not the entire Northern dialects.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:17am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Those responses come from people that are saddled with complexies. Anyway,like i said, strange dialects are exotic. In my sorjourne in Northern Igboland, people respond back in my dialect. It's a two way thing. None is better than they other.

grin

Asi! Asi di ka eziokwu(fallacy. Oh I miss my GS lecturer in UNN!) I che na m bu beati na-amaro ife ka o gini? grin

Ndi anambra a da-emekwa etu afu. Taa, gbupu aso n'onu!
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:18am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

The lead musician of 7 Stars group from Imo state known for his popular Anambra song, 'Ifeoma' should adopt Anambra citizenship then. smiley
What's his name?
I already submitted a list of Igbo musicians,no point bringing 7watever up.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:19am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Guy,chill out.

Gbam! O ka o si mee. The same way the English man expects everybody from anywhere to reply him in English. It simply about the popularity and proliferation of the language.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:20am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

grin

Asi! Asi di ka eziokwu(fallacy. Oh I miss my GS lecturer in UNN!) I che na m bu beati na-amaro ife ka o gini? grin

Am not hear to tell lies or have fun at the expense of others.
We gladly accepted your account/experience, respect others' accounts too.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:21am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

I find it hard to believe that people respond back in your dialect. You must have lightened it up for them to understand you,properly. I listen to Oriental Brothers alot and most of what they say I dont even understand them. I have also lived with Owerri people and constantly had to ask question to grasp what they were saying but they dont have that problem with my dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:23am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

What's his name?
I already submitted a list of Igbo musicians,no point bringing 7watever up.

Chinedu Iwuozor from Imo state is his name. A gonarina onye nke yii!

http://www.frequency.com/video/chinedu-iwuozor-7-stars-international/129631872/-/5-1017341
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:23am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Gbam! O ka o si mee. The same way the English man expects everybody from anywhere to reply him in English. It simply about the popularity and proliferation of the language.
So in unu head, you dialect is more popular?
How many Southerners have contacts with the dialect in Southern Igboland.
Vain supremacist theories...
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:25am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Am not hear to tell lies or have fun at the expense of others.
We gladly accepted your account/experience, respect others' accounts too.

I furofu ka I si aghota ife m delu mana I suo nke gi, nke ime ime obodo afu madu a anaghi a ghota, o nwero onye ga-aghota ife I sulu. A makwa m na I ghotalu nke anunwa m delu kita. smiley

OdenigboAroli, gboo di anyi?
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:25am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

I find it hard to believe that people respond back in your dialect. You must have lightened it up for them to understand you,properly. I listen to Oriental Brothers alot and most of what they say I dont even understand them. I have also lived with Owerri people and constantly had to ask question to grasp what they were saying but they dont have that problem with my dialect.
I am responsible for what i write not what you understand.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:26am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

grin

Lol...I have already replied him before I saw this....Nigga can lie eeh...lol
An Anambrarian will never change his tongue because there is no need to,simply.
I know how many Imolites who have said it openly to me that they admire the Anambra dialect....And I dont blame them because the dialect is very light and smooth.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:27am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

So in unu head, you dialect is more popular?
How many Southerners have contacts with the dialect in Southern Igboland.
Vain supremacist theories...

Nna nekwanu anya!

O bu na fa a da-ekili nollywood movies? O bu na fa a da-abia Onicha ibia izu afia? O bu na fa a da-akpo egwu Osadebe, Morocco, Chijioke Mbanefo, Aka Nchawa na egwu ndi ozo fu a kporo m afa?

Di anyi, I dukwa danger! grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:29am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I furofu ka I si aghota ife m delu mana I suo nke gi, nke ime ime obodo afu madu a anaghi a ghota, o nwero onye ga-aghota ife I sulu. A makwa m na I ghotalu nke anunwa m delu kita. smiley

Nnaa,hapukene nwokem afu.
Osii nia amaro na ife ayi na ekwu bu eziokwu.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:29am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I have interactions with Northern Igbo,i already stated that. If you have run out of points,pls leave this discussion without twisting my words.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:32am On Oct 21, 2014
The same way many Anambras have openly declared that they admire Owerri dialect. Does it make Owerri more special?
Personally,i admire Nsukka and Nkanu dialect,does it mean they are better than mine?
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:35am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Nna nekwanu anya!

O bu na fa a da-ekili nollywood movies? O bu na fa a da-abia Onicha ibia izu afia? O bu na fa a da-akpo egwu Osadebe, Morocco, Chijioke Mbanefo, Aka Nchawa na egwu ndi ozo fu a kporo m afa?

Di anyi, I dukwa danger! grin

The music of Ali Chukwuma,Mike Ejeagha,Celestine Ukwu,Paulson Kalu,Morocco,Osita Osadebe and Oliver has helped a great deal to spread and solidify the Anambra dialect as the most understood. Even though,some of these guys arent from Anambra. Like Ali,Ejeagha,Paulson and Celestine. The Anambra dialect made their music so beautiful because of the easy on the tongue smooth flow.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:38am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Odogwu nwannem,kee ka obodo di ?
Nnaa,hapu nwoke Imo na obalia di oku...lol

Odogwu! Ochili ozua! A nokwamuli. Ife nwoke na-eme erika.

Nna eh, udili obala mgbanie enu na-eme ya n'anyasi a aburokwa go-come! O na-azoyali ebe niine ka onye akpi gbalu n'ike! grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:41am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
The same way many Anambras have openly declared that they admire Owerri dialect. Does it make Owerri more special?
Personally,i admire Nsukka and Nkanu dialect,does it mean they are better than mine?

Honestly,I will like to learn Owerri dialect because I like the people and their women...lol
But it aint easy,mate...That dialect hard ooo
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:42am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Odogwu! Ochili ozua! A nokwamuli. Ife nwoke na-eme erika.

Nna eh, udili obala mgbanie enu na-eme ya n'anyasi a aburokwa go-come! O na-azoyali ebe niine ka onye akpi gbalu n'ike! grin

Nnaa,ima Okonkwo Iyaji Asaa...also know as 7 7 ?
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:43am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

There's a difference between admiring a dialect and actually speaking it fluently even though its not yours. You can admire a dialect but what about speaking it without much efforts? Every Igbo speaker can admire Ezzamgbo or Nkanu, but would't easily speak it. You'd be surprised to find the number of southern Igbo people who switch to Anambra dialect in seconds and flow swiftly without hitches. But the same cannot be commonly said of Anambra to southern Igbo dialects except Anambra people who spent some time in the south, like me, or have southern mothers or relatives.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:45am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Nnaa,ima Okonkwo Iyaji Asaa...also know as 7 7 ?

Mba...o bi ebe a na US ka o na-aku egwu?
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:45am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

The music of Ali Chukwuma,Mike Ejeagha,Celestine Ukwu,Paulson Kalu,Morocco,Osita Osadebe and Oliver has helped a great deal to spread and solidify the Anambra dialect as the most understood. Even though,some of these guys arent from Anambra. Like Ali,Ejeagha,Paulson and Celestine. The Anambra dialect made their music so beautiful because of the easy on the tongue smooth flow.
That is exactly what am saying, without certain level of interaction, no dialect is totally mutually intelligible or easy to understand. Or you think an old Ohafia man in Ohafia would understand your dialect when he has never left Ohafia before.
The musicians i listed above don't use Anambra dialect and their music has also helped in exposing their dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:49am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Mba...o bi ebe a na US ka o na-aku egwu?

Nnaa,nyaa na imaro Okonkwo Asaa gulu LONG JOHN ?
Okonkwo Asaa na Enugwu Ukwu ?
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:52am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

There's a difference between admiring a dialect and actually speaking it fluently even though its not yours. You can admire a dialect but what about speaking it without much efforts? Every Igbo speaker can admire Ezzamgbo or Nkanu, but would't easily speak it. You'd be surprised to find the number of southern Igbo people who switch to Anambra dialect in seconds and flow swiftly without hitches. But the same cannot be commonly said of Anambra to southern Igbo dialects except Anambra people who spent some time in the south, like me, or have southern mothers or relatives.
These stuffs you keep talking about is as a result of personal effort,no Southern speaks NCI until he has had some form of connection with them. Queen Nwokoye found it diffcult to speak Mbano,cos of little interaction with them. I have equally seen Ozokwor speak Mbano too. I also could not speak NCI until i ventured into Northern Igbo. You learn a dialect by association not when you refuse to learn cos you feel yours is more important.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:52am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

That is exactly what am saying, without certain level of interaction, no dialect is totally mutually intelligible or easy to understand. Or you think an old Ohafia man in Ohafia would understand your dialect when he has never left Ohafia before.
The musicians i listed above don't use Anambra dialect and their music has also helped in exposing their dialect.

Guy,Ihave lived with maids brought from Ebonyi and they understand us perfectly but when they speak with their relatives we get stunned because it sounds nothing like Igbo. The Anambra Igbo is coded in every Igbo dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:52am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Don't get me wrong. I admire Owerri dialect well, a dialect laced with 'kpa kpa'(I huhu kpa o shi emega a onye ishi arii mma grin) and 'shima shima'(shimakwala nwo nwo shi nga fuma ugbulaaka) and I speak it to a certain fluency but learning it wasn't easy o! I spent a lot of effort to learn it. A non-imo first timer's visit to Owerri would initially find the Owerri dialect incomprehensible but after spending some time in Owerri land, you'll begin to love the dialect! Nothing sounds sweeter than when a typical Owerri man starts rapping in Owerri!

Many of my cousins who came around then from Anambra and Enugu to visit us barely understood our Owerri (Ihiagwa and neighbours. I and my siblings had to interpret for them. During all the time we lived together as neighbours they never found it difficult to understand when my mother(Nwanyi Anambra) or Father spoke.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

10 Things You Didn't Know About 'ORON' In Akwa-ibom State. / Proverbs From The Streets Of Warri / How Adamawa Governor Sat In Atiku's House (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.