Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

About Travel Sickness - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / About Travel Sickness (1092 Views)

Urine Cure All Sickness! / Urine Therapy - Perfect Cure for all Sickness / How To Experience Pregnancy Without Sickness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Travel Sickness by michaelmo11(m): 3:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
I noticed something in my travels as a young Nigerian, when people would complain that they are not feeling too good. Well this is travel sickness, also known as journey sickness. Travel sickness is very common and can make one feel sick or vomit (earlier on used to think this was a sure way of knowing if one is pregnant, but it also happens to young boys as well). It is caused by repeated unusual movements during travels. These repeated movements such as driving over bumps or round in circles/ around bends sends a lot of messages to the brain.
The balance mechanism in one's inner ear feels different signals to those that one's eyes are seeing which then sends to the brain mixed and confusing messages. This would then lead to symptoms of feeling sick(nausea), sweating, headaches, feeling cold. Travel sickness can also be influenced by anxiety or concentrated smells[food or petrol]. It is more common in children and in women; but the good thing is that it gradually phases out as they advance in life.
HOW TO PREVENT TRAVEL SICKNESS?
1.) Movement should be at a minimum e.g. Sitting in the front seat of vehicles, in the middle of the deck on ships.
2.) By avoiding heavy meals (eba/ akpu) [esp. Spicy& fatty foods] and alcohol before travelling.
3.) By breathing fresh air (if allowed) e.g. Vehicle windows.
4.) By closing one's eyes and trying to sleep.
TREATMENT FOR TRAVEL SICKNESS
Some medicines are available which can reduce or prevent symptoms of travel sickness. They work by interfering with the nerve signals described earlier on. But most of the medicines used cause drowsiness.
Also one can breather deeply and slowly while listening to music. ((person don try am for my side b4))
In addition, taking of breaks in between a journey to have some fresh air helps a lot.
Re: About Travel Sickness by OsoDupe(f): 4:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
Thank you for this, whenever I travel this days, I always feel this sickness and I always wonder what is the cause, now I know better.
Re: About Travel Sickness by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 07, 2014
I am a victim of travel sickness,never had a solution,so all i do is throw up till i get to my destination.recently,i was told to apply rob to my nostrils,or chew bitter kola or use the medicine avomyn;don't know how effective that will be.
Re: About Travel Sickness by michaelmo11(m): 5:34pm On Oct 07, 2014
OsoDupe:
Thank you for this, whenever I travel this days, I always feel this sickness and I always wonder what is the cause, now I know better.
uwc, but there are some medicines for it, but i am not sure whether they can be found in Nigeria.... Btw u have a funny moniker or is it your real name
Re: About Travel Sickness by OsoDupe(f): 10:54pm On Oct 07, 2014
michaelmo11:

uwc, but there are some medicines for it, but i am not sure whether they can be found in Nigeria.... Btw u have a funny moniker or is it your real name
yap, my name combined.
Re: About Travel Sickness by Sugarcoated(f): 12:21am On Oct 08, 2014
Ivyluvie2:
I am a victim of travel sickness,never had a solution,so all i do is throw up till i get to my destination.recently,i was told to apply rob to my nostrils,or chew bitter kola or use the medicine avomyn;don't know how effective that will be.

Avomyne is very effective.All you need to do is to take it before embarking on any Journey.
Re: About Travel Sickness by Nobody: 5:55am On Oct 08, 2014
Sugarcoated:

Avomyne is very effective.All you need to do is to take it before embarking on any Journey.
thanks so much
Re: About Travel Sickness by 2map(m): 6:01pm On Oct 08, 2014
It happens to me too sometimes mostly short distance though. And I was told drinking petrol will make it stop.
Re: About Travel Sickness by michaelmo11(m): 7:29am On Oct 15, 2014
2map:
It happens to me too sometimes mostly short distance though. And I was told drinking petrol will make it stop.
what!!!! Pls don't drink petrol oo(and whoever told you that must be wicked), unless you are a vehicle.
Re: About Travel Sickness by 2map(m): 9:11am On Oct 15, 2014
michaelmo11:

what!!!! Pls don't drink petrol oo(and whoever told you that must be wicked), unless you are a vehicle.
Lil. I know someone who drank it and claims he doesn't get sick again. Not that I support it, I can never take it when m not mad but just wondering if it's true.

(1) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About Sleeping / Girl Involved In Trailer Accident In Warri Has Lost One Leg....graphic Pix / Causes, Symptoms And Treatment Of Fibroids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.