Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,593 members, 7,820,134 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Federal Prosecutor To Probe The Financial Dealings Of Bill And Hillary Clinton - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Prosecutor To Probe The Financial Dealings Of Bill And Hillary Clinton (574 Views)

Jonathan Kicks As Buhari Plans $2.1b Oil Cash Probe - The NATION / I Will Expose Muazu Underhand Dealings With APC – Fayose / Ineffective Battle Against Insurgents: I Will Probe The Military - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Federal Prosecutor To Probe The Financial Dealings Of Bill And Hillary Clinton by jking001(m): 11:19pm On Oct 07, 2014
The first federal prosecutor to probe the financial dealings of Bill and Hillary Clinton says he was poised to bring high-profile indictments against top Arkansas political and business figures — based in part on testimony from a chief witness against the then president — when he was abruptly replaced by a panel of federal judges, throwing his investigation into turmoil.
"I was angry, frustrated and above all disappointed that I was not going to be able to carry through and finish bringing the indictments," writes Robert Fiske, a former U.S. attorney who served as the original independent counsel in charge of the Whitewater investigation, in a forthcoming memoir, "Prosecutor Defender Counselor."

Fiske — ever the punctilious prosecutor — offers no judgments on the conduct of the Clintons, nor on that of the man who replaced him, Kenneth Starr.

But in his first extensive public comments on his Whitewater investigation, in his book and in an exclusive Yahoo News interview, Fiske contends his removal had a devastating impact on the agents and prosecutors working the case: It ultimately caused the Whitewater probe to stretch on for years longer than it needed to under Starr, a conservative former federal appellate judge who had no prosecutorial experience.

"The simplest way to put it, after I was replaced, the lawyers on the staff in Arkansas said the agents for the FBI and IRS were totally demoralized," Fiske said in the Yahoo News interview. "They thought we were on the brink of doing all these great things, and now that was not going to happen."

The long-ago Whitewater probe seems likely to be revived by political foes if, as is widely expected, Hillary Clinton runs for president. (The Clinton library is due to release new documents, including some that are expected to include Whitewater files, this Friday.) For years, the Clintons have sought to portray the entire investigation as a politically inspired witch hunt, pushed by partisans hunting for any ammunition they could find to damage the president and first lady.

"I'm still waiting for them to admit that there was nothing to Whitewater," Bill Clinton said in a recent appearance.

But the new account of Fiske, a pillar of the New York legal community, offers a more complicated picture. He describes how he had quickly uncovered "serious crimes" in the Whitewater investigation but that his probe was cut short after conservatives falsely accused him of a "cover up."

"There were indictments, there were convictions," said Fiske when asked about claims that there was "nothing" to the investigation. "People went to jail. There was never any evidence that was sufficient to link the Clintons to any of it, but there were certainly serious crimes."

http://news.yahoo.com/first-whitewater-prosecutor-says--serious-crimes--were-uncovered-in-probe-220111087.html
Re: Federal Prosecutor To Probe The Financial Dealings Of Bill And Hillary Clinton by gtrust: 12:22am On Oct 08, 2014
Where do you think we learnt all these tricks from

Corruption is an American thing!
Re: Federal Prosecutor To Probe The Financial Dealings Of Bill And Hillary Clinton by jking001(m): 6:00am On Oct 08, 2014
I taught they ain't corrupt, beacuse the opposition mantra in Nigeria is corruption, that's the silly excuse they give in order to discredit a working government, now you ask them if they would swear an oath to be corrupt free if we elect them to power.

gtrust:
Where do you think we learnt all these tricks from

Corruption is an American thing!

(1) (Reply)

Systematic Stealing? Bayelsa New Governor’s Office To Gulp N33bn / Governor Yero Becomes The First Person To Pick PDP Nomination Form / Obasanjo Turns Down PDP Leaders Appeal To Return To The Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.