Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,386 members, 7,812,140 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe (1450 Views)

Adeosun & Hameed-Ali Inspect New Technology For NCS At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport / Nnamdi Azikiwe's Son, Chukwuma Buried As FG, Local Chiefs Absent / Chukwuma Bamidele Dies (Nnamdi-Azikiwe's First-Son) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 08, 2014
We rarely talk about this guy. I think he was a great Nigerian. A nationalist. A Pan-Africanist. A travelled scholar, an ex-President, and a wily politician. I think he's right up there among the greatest Nigerians who ever lived. If he was of this era, he'd make an excellent president. A GEJ with swag. smiley

...............................................Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe (Zik of Africa) (1904 – 1996)

2 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by McWhillion(m): 7:28am On Oct 08, 2014
A GEJ with swag?, why GEJ, to me he was everything GEJ is not.

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 08, 2014
What did Azikiwe Achieve while in power? I am very curious

2 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 08, 2014
What is there to talk about in him? People still talk about Awolowo and his policies.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by omenka(m): 8:42am On Oct 08, 2014
McWhillion:
A GEJ with swag?, why GEJ, to me he was everything GEJ is not.
You just insulted the Sage's memory.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 08, 2014
E be like say this thread go make sense ooooo.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 9:06am On Oct 08, 2014
Zik rapuru ulo ya na ere oku we chuba nta oke,ndi ugwu we were umu igbo mere shooting target

2 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by McWhillion(m): 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2014
omenka:
You just insulted the Sage's memory.
How is that, I said GEJ cannot be what ZIK was in his lifetime, how does that amount to insulting ZIK's memory? Read my statement again.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by omenka(m): 12:57pm On Oct 08, 2014
McWhillion:
How is that, I said GEJ cannot be what ZIK was in his lifetime, how does that amount to insulting ZIK's memory? Read my statement again.
Yeah, you right. Didn't see the first question mark. smiley
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by birdman(m): 11:40pm On Oct 08, 2014
On paper, Zik has everything to be an engaging, exciting, brilliant president. But if you ever get the chance, google up articles from the west african pilot (zik's newspaper). Some of the things he had to say about Yorubas shocked...no one would say such things out in the open today. No one in the West had any illusion that Zik was a gentleman statesman. Ojukwu didnt trust him either (yuou can google his exact words). If Zik is the least celebrated of the founding fathers today, his character has a lot to do with it.

Its funny you compare him with GEJ, because they actually both have similar traits. On the surface, you think you are getting a well seasoned president. Behind the smiling veneer is a mean calculating machine.

Id post them myself, but man, time flies these days. Still im subscribed...maybe someone will post something I havent seen before

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 12, 2014
birdman:
On paper, Zik has everything to be an engaging, exciting, brilliant president. But if you ever get the chance, google up articles from the west african pilot (zik's newspaper). Some of the things he had to say about Yorubas shocked...no one would say such things out in the open today.

Same could be said of other characters of the early 60s era. They were surprisingly candid and direct about ethnic differences. I once saw a 1964 interview of the late Sardauna of Sokoto (Ahmadu Bello), and he made it very clear that he was for northern interests above all else. There was no attempt by him to even create an impression of national unity. Politicians today are a lot more circumspect, or should I say 'politically correct', and always project the concept of national oneness above ethnic differences. I guess you can say we've learnt the lessons from our tumultuous history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 12, 2014
barcanista:

Well, he wasn't an executive president. Prime Minister Balewa held executive power. But what Zik contributed was quite fundamental. He helped sow the seeds of an indivisible One Nigeria, and pursued this ideal at home and abroad even as civil war raged in the late 60s. Zik believed we were more powerful, and held more promise, as a single unit than as splintered entities. In many ways, his vision is bearing out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by overhypedsteve(m): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
barcanista:
pls don't do that.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by oluamid(m): 9:23pm On Oct 12, 2014
barcanista:

Can someone please answer this question. I revere the man because he was one of the founding fathers but really, one can barely find something concrete ascribed to him. And it will really be a game changer if someone can outline his achievements apart from him being the 1st president and editor of the West African Pilot.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by maestroferddi: 10:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
Zik, the quintessential nationalist and Pan-Africanist.

He is in the league of the likes of Kwame Nkrumah, Leopold Sedar Senghor and Jomo Kenyatta.

Nobody in Nigeria except maybe Herbert Macaulay came any close in championship African emancipation and consciousness.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by birdman(m): 4:44am On Oct 13, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Same could be said of other characters of the early 60s era. They were surprisingly candid and direct about ethnic differences. I once saw a 1964 interview of the late Sardauna of Sokoto (Ahmadu Bello), and he made it very clear that he was for northern interests above all else. There was no attempt by him to even create an impression of national unity. Politicians today are a lot more circumspect, or should I say 'politically correct', and always project the concept of national oneness above ethnic differences. I guess you can say we've learnt the lessons from our tumultuous history.

it was another era for sure. i definitely dont see any politician today getting anywhere with that kind of talk
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 13, 2014
birdman:

it was another era for sure. i definitely dont see any politician today getting anywhere with that kind of talk

For real... if you listen to some of those early 60s politicians' interviews etc, you can see why we eventually went to war. They glibly refer to 'Igbos' or 'Hausas' in their conversations. Whereas today it would be more like ''a certain section of the country is doing this or that...'', or ''the south east or 'south south' are saying this and that...'' etc etc. We've come a long way, politically.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by PenSniper: 6:54am On Oct 13, 2014
barcanista:
?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. He was a total failure. He went all out to seek power only for self-agrandisement. He did not know the a, b, c of power. The only,thing he had upstairs was getting power and not what to do with it. Worst, he was like a wheel-barrow- no use unless pushed. Matter of fact, it is a waste of time to discuss Azikiwe.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 13, 2014
Zik was a greedy man who got caught in his own web of deceit. All he had to do was field Awolowo as his running mate but I guess he thought he could 'control the uneducated hausa'. When you Igbos look back into your history, acknowledge the role this man played in the 'development' of your people.
Re: Let's Discuss Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
Interesting views. cool

(1) (Reply)

Mubi Attack: Terrorists Kill Emir’s Son, Torch Badeh’s House / B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G! Bomb Explosion Kills 10 In Yobe / PHOTOS; President Jonathan Meets With Burundi Minister And Wife In Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.