Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,276 members, 7,815,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? (3328 Views)

Is Michael Jordan Words To Kobe Bryant Manifesting Already / Michael Carrick & Daniel Welbeck Withdraw From England Squad / Lampard Vs Gerrard Vs Carrick Vs Fabregas Vs Mikel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by okeyezinwa: 10:50am On Aug 01, 2006
Man UTd Spends 18.6 Million Pounds On Michael Carrick. Does He Worth It ?

i just wish carrick proves his mettle at the theatre of dreams
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Jackal(m): 11:51am On Aug 01, 2006
Man Utd did[b] not[/b] spend 18.6 million pounds on Carrick.
The contract itself cannot be more than 12 million but Carrick will get additional bonuses if the club wins the Premiership and UEFA.
The deal can be up to 18.6 million pounds but its not actually 18.6million pounds.
U copy?

Its too early to judge the young lad as he hasn't played yet for the team.
Ferdinand costed United 30 million pounds but when United won the title same season no one remembered how much United paid to get him.
Can Carrick replace Roy Keane? The answer is no.
I think Carrick + Mascherano/Senna/Gattusso might just fill the void left by Keane.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by kitaun(m): 9:15pm On Aug 01, 2006
The title is something for the moderator into look into - ''does he worth it''
am a little uncomfortable with it, why not ''is he worth it''
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by debosky(m): 9:20pm On Aug 01, 2006
kitaun nairaland is open to all levels of english speakers, those who think in yoruba, igbo, efik, tiv, etc and translate into english grin grin grin, and profs like you

back to topic i don't think he's worth it, not even the 12million as jackal claims the deal actually is. its just the same ol thing, english players get hyped over nothing and are so expensive to buy, thats why there are so many foreigners in the prem now, imagine andy johnson for 8.5 million?? this same carrick came to tottenham for 2.7million, its all down to english hype + lshortage of quality english players at the top level.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by beyunce(f): 9:54pm On Aug 01, 2006
I hop he does a good job there oh. Cos i dont want anyone messing ma team up this season.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 01, 2006
The problem with The cost of premiership footballers;

1. The desperate attempt by the English fans and media to have a "world class" player in the mould of Zidane for france, Ballack for Germany, Pirlo for Italy e.t.c.
2. The media over hype of other wise average Engish players.
3. The Premiership is watched by more fans than any other league in the world and is the richest at present.

Is Carrick worth his price? Absolutely No! No foreign club will even think of wasting 2 cents on him. After Germany 2006, there was no serious foreign bid for any english player not even the Overhyped duo of Rooney and Joe Cole. How can Andy Johnson who has never been to the world cup cost 8.5 mill pounds?
How can Carrick be anywhere worth 12mill when the combined duo of Cannavaro and Emerson cost Real 13 million?

what would Man U pay for a player like Micheal Ballack, Ronaldinho or Messi?
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by sage(m): 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2006
davidylan:

The problem with The cost of premiership footballers;

1. The desperate attempt by the English fans and media to have a "world class" player in the mould of Zidane for france, Ballack for Germany, Pirlo for Italy e.t.c.
2. The media over hype of other wise average Engish players.
3. The Premiership is watched by more fans than any other league in the world and is the richest at present.

Is Carrick worth his price? Absolutely No! No foreign club will even think of wasting 2 cents on him. After Germany 2006, there was no serious foreign bid for any english player not even the Overhyped duo of Rooney and Joe Cole. How can Andy Johnson who has never been to the world cup cost 8.5 mill pounds?
How can Carrick be anywhere worth 12mill when the combined duo of Cannavaro and Emerson cost Real 13 million?

what would Man U pay for a player like Micheal Ballack, Ronaldinho or Messi?

U hit the nail on the head.

The English press feel that b/cos they invented football, their players must be the best.

They desprately want to produce a Pele, Maradonna, or Zidane or something like an all time Legend.

Hyping mediocare mediocrities has always been their way which goes a long way to explain y they have never progressed past the group stages of the Euro championship except for 2 times (one of which they hosted) and a tournament in which Brazil and Argentina does not participate in!

Micheal Carrick ke? They should have gone to other leagues like the the French and German leagues and gotten a good ball winner and distributor for less than 3 million pounds, and they guy would perform better than Carrick. Or they could have gone to the lesser teams in Spain and Italy and gotten an excellent ball distributor, like say De la Pena 4 about 3-4 million pounds, or even Pablo Aimar who cost less than 12 mil

Even Riquelme will cost about 7-8 mil. Why pay that 4 Carrick?
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by kitaun(m): 4:25pm On Aug 02, 2006
@ debosky,

yeah, you are right man

@ sage,

The fact is the English are proficient at hyping their players and also destroying them, its as simple as that but please that does not mean the English Premiership lacks substance, in fact it comprises the good, bad and the ugly.

Carrick for the life of me is not worth a third of that amount splashed on him.

The English press is different from these clubs, and the clubs from the players so let us get these things straight, lads like Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Terry and some these guys are some of the best players on the planet whether they are hyped or not !
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 02, 2006
kitaun:

The English press is different from these clubs, and the clubs from the players so let us get these things straight, lads like Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Terry and some these guys are some of the best players on the planet whether they are hyped or not !

shocked Did i hear you right? Rooney, Joe Cole, Terry, Beckham some of the best players in the world? By which standards do you measure greatness?
Are these same guys to be mentioned in the same league as Makalele, Zidane, Ballack, Riquelme e.t.c.? Even Robinho and Messi as young as they are will be worth 50x more than what those pompous over paid english men are worth.

Terry with his comedy of errors at the world cup, Cole for scoring a fluke against Ecuador shocked
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by debosky(m): 7:11pm On Aug 02, 2006
they are good players, but not excellent players, with the possible exception of gerrard, and previously beckham (he's past his peak now)
well fergie has cleared the air now, they payed 14m, possibly risig to the final figure if they win the prem or somn like that. he's definitely not worth it, but i think he's a decent player with a good chance of becoming an excellent player.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by kitaun(m): 7:45pm On Aug 02, 2006
@ davidylan,

Why are you not being realistic ?

Gerrard is definitely one of the best players in the world, he proved that at the World Cup,UECL,EPL, what else do u want from him ?

Rooney whether rude, childish, arrogant, whatever name you may have for him is one of the best players on the planet, he proved it in the UECL, EPL, EUROCUP, need i say more ?

Beckham, whether past his prime or not is still one of the best players on the planet , forget his commercial value, he as captain of the english team by virtually helped in their attainment of 1/8 status at the world cup thru his trademark kicks, which hither to seemed to have dried up,he has been very influential to a large extent in the Real Madrid team which comprise guyz like Zizou

Ashley Cole, prior to his injury period, was arguably the best left-back in the world, am i wrong ? if i am; i wonder why up till now Chelsea still covets him ! tongue tongue tongue

Joe Cole: pls don't tell me that you have never noticed that this chap is one of the trickiest in terms of skills, forget if his goal against Ecuador was a fluke or not, since 2000 when he had been touted alongside Owen and Gerrard as the future guns for England, he has really lived up to it

John Terry is one of the best defenders in the world, one that is determined and has an eye for goal, aerial ability has been one of those things that has gotten him highly rated, the fact that he made enough mistakes at the WC does not make him a bad defender at all
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 02, 2006
@ kitaun

are you english? Those guys are good but not excellent. Would they ever be able to walk into an Italian, German, French or Brazilian teams? Judge for thyself.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by debosky(m): 8:04pm On Aug 02, 2006
kitaun:

Ashley Cole, prior to his injury period, was arguably the best left-back in the world, am i wrong ? if i am; i wonder why up till now Chelsea still covets him ! tongue tongue tongue

Joe Cole: please don't tell me that you have never noticed that this chap is one of the trickiest in terms of skills, forget if his goal against Ecuador was a fluke or not, since 2000 when he had been touted alongside Owen and Gerrard as the future guns for England, he has really lived up to it

chelski covets cole because he's english, they're part of the hype problem anywayz

cole is being hyped just as owen was, after a few flashes in the pan, owen has fizzled into an above average striker nothing more.

english players = 70% hype + 10% skill + 20% determination
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by kitaun(m): 8:10pm On Aug 02, 2006
Am not English, never liked them as a team and i have always been vehemently against them in competitions mainly because of the hype that follows their preparations and the main event proper, and YES they can walk into any of those natinal sides that you mentioned, some of the most fantastic captains World football can boast of are a few of those players i mentioned (infact 3 at club level whether now or in the past and 2 currently).Give it to them, in their own they are good and will stroll into our National team and yes we can equally boast of our players matching any of those teams at least football is a game of 11 vs 11
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 02, 2006
@ kitaun,

those boys are not as good as you think. Micheal Carrick has been "full of promise" for 5 yrs running, Rooney has remained "young" ever since considering the fact that the likes of Robinho and Messi are also only 18!

Micheal Owen was regarded as a hero after 1 goal against argentina in 1998, today he is still part of the English national team on the back of an 8yr old goal!

David Beckham - Has been known only for free kicks and nothing more. No depth on the wings, cant get past a player, cant back track.

Ashley Cole - the only true star in English football alongside Rio Ferdinand.
Terry - is only there because he plays at Chelsea.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by kitaun(m): 8:20pm On Aug 02, 2006
@ Debosky,

Am a gooner like you are but please do not say Joe Cole is an over-hyped player cos you will be unfair to the boy
Why not put into consideration how this boy runs rings around opponents not minding whether they got big names or not, pls the guy is good and for the better part of last year he proved to be one of the best blues despite his many wranglings with Maureen (as Loyika loves to call him), he is one player that knows how to open up the defences of opponents, so why not give it to him ?
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by debosky(m): 8:27pm On Aug 02, 2006
nah, he had an above average season and peeps are goin gaga over him, plus the fluke WC goal. I said he's decent, but nowhere near the hype england give him. its not cuzz he's chelski, even ashley is too hyped. he's good no doubt, but not as good as they want us to believe. thats the major flaw of majority of englishmen. let me see joe do his 'moves' against a quality european side, not scoring goals against senderos+flamini patch patch defence.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 02, 2006
It makes you sometimes wonder where all these "world class" english players went to during the world cup.

You mean these same players where there when England huffed and puffed their way to an inglorious exit at the hands of Portugal led by a puny 17 yr old Ronaldo?
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by kitaun(m): 8:37pm On Aug 02, 2006
@ davidylan,

the fact that i said these english players are very good does not mean that their team as a whole is
good, have you not heard of good players bad team ?
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 02, 2006
kitaun:

@ davidylan,

the fact that i said these english players are very good does not mean that their team as a whole is
good, have you not heard of good players bad team ?

Yeah i have heard of such a team, the ENGLISH NATIONAL TEAM!

The team with the "golden generation". The only team with world class players that has only reached one semi final in 40 yrs!
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by debosky(m): 8:43pm On Aug 02, 2006
GOLDEN indeed, golden flop, they do it better than no other, i'll give them that.

lets see what happens to all these 'world class' english players in the CL this season.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by kitaun(m): 8:53pm On Aug 02, 2006
Joe Cole
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joe Cole Personal information
Full name Joseph John Cole
Date of birth November 8, 1981
Place of birth Islington, London, England
Height 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
Club information
Current club Chelsea F.C.
Number 10
Position Midfield
Professional clubs*
Years Club Apps (goals)
1998-2003
2003- West Ham United
Chelsea 126 (10)
97 (16)
National team**
2001- England 37 (6)
* Professional club appearances and goals
counted for the domestic league only and
correct as of 8 May 2006.
** National team caps and goals correct
as of 1 July 2006.

For the Sonic Youth roadie, see Joe Cole (roadie).

Joseph John Cole (born November 8, 1981 in Archway, London) is a professional footballer who plays for Chelsea FC of the English Premier League and the England national team. He is a right-footed midfielder with an avowed preference for a central position but has enjoyed most success playing as a left or right winger at Chelsea, due to his fine dribbling abilities and ball control.

Contents [hide]
1 Early Life
2 Chelsea
3 National Team
4 External links

[edit]
Early Life
Cole was born in Archway, North London and was raised a couple of miles away in Somers Town in Camden. A child prodigy who received national media attention as a schoolboy and a product of the famed West Ham United youth system, Cole was long touted as the hottest prospect in English football with Manchester United reportedly offering to pay £10 million for his services as a 16 year old. Playing in a mould similar to former England favourite Paul Gascoigne, he quickly progressed through the West Ham ranks before making his first-team debut at the age of 17. Cole became club captain at 19. Whilst his sublime touch and dribbling prowess won him many plaudits (and several England caps), his career stagnated in his last few years at the club, especially after West Ham parted company with manager Harry Redknapp.

[edit]
Chelsea
In 2003, Cole moved to Chelsea as part of Roman Abramovich's 'Russian Revolution' for £6,600,000 with a view to establishing himself in the England national team. However, due to the stiff competition for places at the club, he initially struggled to hold down a place in the team for both Chelsea and England under Claudio Ranieri.

According to Cole, Ranieri had wanted to send him to Russia on loan to CSKA Moscow just days after finalising his transfer. Cole refused to move and stayed in Chelsea, but figured irregularly throughout the first half of season 2003-2004 and was reduced to a peripheral figure after Ranieri signed Scott Parker in January 2004.

He was a squad member at Euro 2004, but did not play.

Cole had long been praised for his technical skills and creativity but criticised for his lack of all-round contribution to the team and the inadequacy of his end product. After the arrival of new Chelsea manager José Mourinho in 2004, Cole initially continued to struggle, though he soon found himself making more appearances than he did during Ranieri's stewardship.

In January 2005, Cole was publicly criticised by Mourinho after scoring the winner against Liverpool for neglecting his defensive duties. Mourinho famously described Cole as a player 'with two faces', with one 'face' that he liked (referring to Cole's vision and technical ability) and another 'face' that he did not (referring to Cole's lack of enthusiasm for defensive duties).

Cole responded positively to this and took advantage of injuries to other players (most notably Arjen Robben) to become one of the stars of Chelsea's Premiership title winning team in 2004-05. He also won a starting place in the England team on the left side of midfield, which England had struggled to fill adequately for several years. Cole's form saw him hit a run of goals towards the end of the season, and his goal against Norwich (blasted in from 22 yards off his weaker left foot) was voted in the top ten goals of the season in the Premier League for 2004/2005.

At Chelsea, the strong competition for places has meant that he has struggled to hold a first team role, with Damien Duff, Arjen Robben and Shaun Wright-Phillips providing stiff competition. Doubts have been expressed over his ability to play in the left wing position for the England national side, with some calling for natural left-footerStewart Downing and even pacy teenager Theo Walcott to be given a chance.

However, Cole played in the England side throughout 2005 and early 2006, competing in internationals against Denmark, Northern Ireland, and Argentina. As of 2 March 2006, he has earned 30 caps for England (11 as a starting player) and scored five goals.

Cole scored 10 goals for Chelsea in 2004/2005 and he also registered in the Champions League against Real Betis. Although Cole prefers to play in the centre of midfield, it appears as though his opportunities will come as a wide attacker under Mourinho.

In January 2006 Cole received publicity as the loser in a drunken dustup over Page 3 Girl Keeley Hazell, triggered when another admirer saw the two "getting on well [and] copped the right hump about it." [1] (Link NSFW)

In the first half of the 2005-2006 season Cole enhanced his reputation considerably, moved up the Chelsea pecking order ahead of Wright-Phillips and Duff, and was named in the PFA's team of the season. His status was such that by March 2006, he was considered Chelsea's most creative player by many pundits, and his omission from the starting lineup by Mourinho, who was testing a narrower 'midfield diamond' approach, was held up as the principal cause of Chelsea's 2-1 defeat to Liverpool F.C. in the semi-finals of the 2006 FA Cup competition.

In June 2006, Cole was entered in the top ten goals of the season for the second season running, this time for an effort in a 3-0 victory against Manchester United where he produced marvellous sleight of foot to evade Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic before slamming the ball high past Edwin Van Der Sar.

Later that month, Cole extended his contract with Chelsea FC for another 4 seasons. Cole's position at Stamford Bridge appears to have been strengthened by the departure of Duff to Newcastle United on 23 July 2006.

[edit]
National Team
His sparkling displays in England's friendlies leading up to the 2006 World Cup have also enhanced his reputation ahead of the summer's showcase finals in Germany.

In May 2006 he was confirmed in the England squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, ahead of Chelsea teammate Shaun Wright-Phillips. He played on the left-side of midfield in England's opening game against Paraguay on June 10, 2006.

On June 20, 2006, England drew with Sweden, in the 2006 FIFA World Cup, with a final score of 2-2. This result can be attributed to Cole's spectacular play. He scored a spectacular goal in the 34th minute of the match and got an assist in the 85th when he sent in a beautiful ball to Steven Gerrard. At the end of the match, Budweiser announced that Cole received the Man of the Match.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 02, 2006
undecided

Plenty of story! Where was he when the English huffed and puffed at the world cup? Hardly a player who set the world cup alight with his skills.

Ghana crashed out in the second round but virtually everyone has been scrambling for their players, hardly can the same be said of the likes of Joe Cole.

BTW any idiot can edit anything he likes on wikipedia
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by debosky(m): 8:59pm On Aug 02, 2006
davidylan:

BTW any idiot can edit anything he likes on wikipedia
you took the words right out of my mouth. he scored a fluke goal against sweden, big deal, he beat vidic a 17 yr old novice + ferdinand another overhyped english flop. big deal

let him do that against cannavaro, puyol or any quality center back then i'll take him seriously.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by lordimpaq(m): 9:01pm On Aug 02, 2006
debosky:

english players = 70% hype + 10% skill + 20% determination
lol, nice one debosky, i agree with you,

but not all english players fall into that category, lets see my own version of their ratings

ashley cole (40% hype + 40% determination + 20% skill)
joe cole (30% hype + 50% skill + 20% determination)
john terry (40% hype + 50% determination + 10% skill)
steven gerrard( 10% hype + 40% determination + 40% skill)
david beckam (80% hype + 15% determination + 5% skill)
frank lampard (70% hype + 20% determination + 10% skill)

frankly this is what i think,
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 02, 2006
Frank Lampard? 10% skill?

Does that "skill" include taking potluck shots at goal when he could easily pass?

90% hype + 2% determination + 8% English!
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by lordimpaq(m): 9:34pm On Aug 02, 2006
yeah actually that's why i added 10% skill

at least its a skill to be taking such shots, grin
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by sage(m): 3:27am On Aug 03, 2006
Hey @ Kituan

English players World Class? I used to laugh when just b/4 the world cup, they were calling themselves the most complete team after Brazil and all that. Who are they kidding?

The only English player that i think is standard is Gerrard and a few others are very good. Most of the rest are mediocare and WILL NOT MAKE ANY FIRST TEAM IN ANY COUNTRY.

iL USE TWO OF THE COUNTRIES TO SHOW U Brazil and Italy ( wing 4 wing)
GK Buffon b/4 Robinson

RB Zambrotta b/4 Neville Same

CB Nesta b/4 Ferdinand Same

CB Cannavaro b/4 Terry Same

LB Cole vs Grosso ( u guyz decide) Same

RCM Gattuso b/4 Beckham RWM Camaronaise vs Beckham

CM Pirlo b/4 Gerrard Pirlo b/4 Carrick + Hargreaves

LM Joe cole vs Perotta ( il leave u guyz to determine) Same

CAM Totti b/4 Lampard Gattuso b/4 Gerrard

ST Gilardino v Rooney ( " ' "" ) Totti b/4 Lampard

ST Toni b/4 Owen Toni b/4 Rooney

With a change of Formation Camaronsi comes in and itz one striker 4 Italy and Either Crrick or Hargreaves 4 England.and thatz 4 the second column

I think the only guy that would make the ITALIAN Squad from England is probably Ashley Cole and Maybe Gerrard if their is a change of formation, he might be selected ahead of Perrota

Brazil

Dida b/4 Robinson

Cafu b/4 Neville

Lucio v Ferdinand

Juan v Terry

Ashley cole v Carlos

Kaka b/4 Beckham

Gerrard v Emerson

Ze Roberto b/4 Joe Cole

Ronaldinho b/4 Lampard

Ronaldo b/4 Ronney

Adriano b/4 Owen

THE ONLY English player that can make it is probably GERRARD and Maybe Ashley Cole

THE AVERAGE ENGLISH PLAYERIS 70 PERCENT HYPE
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Jackal(m): 10:13am On Aug 03, 2006
@ sage.
Ya dud analysis is highly laughable.
Without a doubt, English players thrive on hype but there are still some world class players in their ranks that will stroll easily into any national team.
We should remember the British press is the major cause of this hype and not the players themselves.
The press makes or breaks these players and they can turn the wackest player(Peter Crouch) in the world to an overnight celebrity in seconds. grin
Theo Walcott is anutha living example. A player that never played a single match in the Premiership got a world cup call.
Its absolutely ridiculous.

My list goes------------------

Gary Neville
Ashley Cole
John Terry
Rio Ferdinand
Steven Gerrard
David Beckham
and Wayne Rooney.

England has the best set of central defenders in the world that Italy and Brazil are envious of.
John Terry and Rio Ferdinand will feature in any national team in the world.
David Beckham will stroll into any team because he is the best right winger out there with his precision crosses and free-kicks.
Wayne Rooney is a gem and i am yet to see any manager in the world that does not covet Wayne.
Rooney will play for Brazil, France, Argentina, Italy, Spain etc. Unless anyone here can tell me Adriano, Saha, Crespo, Gillardino and Torres will deliver a better output/work-rate than Wayne Rooney.

Lots of cats come here to tongue-lash the English players based on their performance @ the last world cup.
The real Mc Coy of England's downfall was Sven Goran Eriksson who took 4 strikers including half-fit owen, Peter Crouch and a Theo Walcott that never played a premiership game.
In fairness, England had only 1 good striker in Wayne thus resulting to the team playing a boring 4-5-1 formation when they should have played their traditional 4-4-2.
No one crucified England when they ran rings against a very formidable Argentina side in November 2005.
Argentina was outplayed and outgunned by the side some cats called mediocres by winning 3-2.
Lets call a spade what it is. England is a very decent side.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Christino(m): 10:58am On Aug 03, 2006
Man-U lavished 18.6m on Carrick is good news to me. He has a vacant position to play, he's not just coming in as a spectator (unlike SWP). In my opinion, he is worth it, but I must commend Jol, Zokora is much better to replace him and is just 8mill (all because he's not English).

Now that UEFA has made it a rule that each club must have at least 4 home grown players (home grown weeds) in their 25-man squad for the champions league, local players should have more value (as has always been in the case of Ferdinand, SWF, Rooney and Walcott and now Carrick). Remember chelsea were ready to pay 28mill for Gerrard.

Frankly speaking, it depends on who's buying the player. I don't think Arsenal would have bought him at that tag, neither would Wigan. Chelsea paid 30m for Shevy, Even Free Paying Madrid managed to squeeze out 10 mill for RVN. If Chelsea needed him, I believe they could pay 25m. If Chelsea were to buy Carrick, with that hype, don't be surprised, for 27mill (+ he's English in the UEFA rule age).

Man-U has the likes of Rooney, Neville, Carrick, Ferdinand as their English Reps now and with the sale of Viera to Inter, Carrick has sure retained more than the No. 16 jersey of Keane (no competition) and as such freed Alan Smith and move him to a deeper role. He needs two seasons to prove himself, but for all I care, he's English and the league being devoid of quality home based players, (see the top scorers and assists since 2000) the hype should have added more to his value.
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by sage(m): 1:58pm On Aug 03, 2006
@ Jackal

I have said i wont argue anything with u again but 4 the benefit of the forum

1Nesta and Cannavarro have been the best central defensive pairing in the World for many years now and will start ahead of any other central defenders in this world ( Ferdinand and Terry included).

Infact we dont need to argue this. WHICH ENGLISH 'WORLD CLASS' PLAYER WILL STROLL INTO THE ITALIAN, ARGENTINE OR BRAZILIAN NATIONAL SIDES?

I analyzed it wing for wing Letz see u do that. Stop telling me shit like precision freekicks and Beckham this and that.
( In the case of freekicks 4 eg Pirlo Totti and DelPiero are all experts)
Re: Is Michael Carrick Worth £18.6 Million? by Jackal(m): 5:52pm On Aug 03, 2006
@sage,
There's no point arguing witcha.
U obviously dont watch football cos if u do u won't be this talkin balderdash.
I still dunno why u think David Beckham is not better than Camaronesi.
Have u been watching something else?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Beach Soccer Challenge Cup 2013 (2nd Edition) / Mario Götze’s joystick Is Really, Really Happy To See His Girlfriend / 9 Painful DEATHS Ever In Soccer And Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.