Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,720 members, 7,831,296 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife (2817 Views)

Obasanjo, A Liar, Economic Illiterate – Soyinka / Obasanjo, A Shame To The Military — Defence Headquarters / Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by desgiezd(m): 9:00am On Nov 12, 2008
Obasanjo is master of deception, says wife

Wife of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Oluremi, recounts her 45 years marriage in a book that reveals more about the General Joseph Jibueze reports.

Imagine former President Olusegun Obasanjo locked in the boot of a car and driven away to be executed, cooked in a steaming pot and eaten by rebel cannibals who thought eating the heart of a Nigerian would make them "brave and tough."

Then picture an idyllic scene of Obasanjo, in Abeokuta in days past, donning an Agbada on Khaki trousers, and running barefooted after a young woman, shouting, "Excuse me! Excuse me!" The woman eventually falls for him, despite his being unable to afford "even the cheap tennis shoes sold for seven shillings and six pence."

No one could better describe a husband or events in his life than a wife of 45 years. Mrs Oluremi Obasanjo has been married to Chief Obasanjo for that long.

They got wedded in London in 1963, but she said she had known the former president for at least seven years before they got into a marriage that produced two sons and four daughters, including former first daughter, Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello.

Yesterday in Lagos, Mrs Obasanjo presented a 142-page book entitled Bitter-Sweet – My Life with Obasanjo, which is an autobiographical account of her experience in the relationship.

The book is a curious portrait of Obasanjo as a kind, tender and loving person, but whose pride and arrogance later became dominant: it drips with the narrative of a once caring and romantic man who allegedly became a serial philanderer, often focusing on women quite close to the family.

Mrs Obasanjo goes further to describe her husband as "complex" and "a curious subject" who neither forgives nor forgets wrongs done him by others.

Her words: "Obasanjo is complex and a master of the art of deception. He is a curious subject. He is self-opinionated. This has become worse nowadays. Unfortunately, he does not forgive nor does he forget. He is a bohemian and can be an exploiter. I remember how he outmanoeuvred me in a business deal."

Why would a wife go to such lengths to talk about her husband publicly? Mrs Obasanjo explains: "I believe it is appropriate to say a thing or two on why this book has been written. It is for three reasons. Number one, to appreciate God that I was able to live this long to tell my story.

"Number two, to share experience with the reading public, mostly the young ones. I was innocent about many things. I took many things on face value and got bruised in the process. It is important to share that lesson with others so they don’t make the same mistake.

"Two situations may not be exactly alike, but there are certain signs that can alert you of looming danger. It is important that people should recognise such signs and avoid them for the peace of their minds.

"Number three, it is to exercise my fundamental human right to free expression. I have written my account of events as they shaped my life. I did not set out to make anyone feel good or bad; I have just told my story truthfully.

"Those who have a different perspective are invited to contribute such and write their own stories. That way, we will be enriching public knowledge. In many ways I am a privileged Nigerian but it is also true that all that glitters is not gold.

"The public deserves to know a lot more about the experiences of public figures beyond the advertised public appearances they see. If my work has succeeded in doing so, we should look at it as expanding the democratic frontiers of free flow of information.

"I hope other people will take the trouble to put their experience to paper. Nigeria and Nigerians need to shed the culture of undue secrecy about public figures and public affairs. We need to join forward-looking countries to make this land a better place for us all."

Mrs Obasanjo recalled several low moments in her marriage to Chief Obasanjo and thanked those, both dead and living; who kept her going in her most trying moments. These include the late General Murtala Mohammed, the late Alhaja Simbiat Abiola, the late Jadesola Aboderin, Olorogun Michael Ibru and his brothers, among others.

Her low moments arose, not only because of her husband’s alleged infidelity, but for his lack of care to her children. "Obasanjo did not extend any favours to me and my children. While he was dispensing largesse to his extended family and cronies, we had no share of it," Mrs Obasanjo wrote.

She also debunked the thinking that two of her children, Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello and Gbenga, became successful on account of their father position or influence.

Her words: "Obasanjo did not influence Iyabo’s appointment as Health commissioner in Gbenga Daniel’s cabinet in Ogun State.

Iyabo was very active in Daniel’s campaign. She has been in student politics since her days at the University of Ibadan… She is an extrovert…very outspoken, very independent and already has five chieftaincy titles.

"Iyabo is tough, makes friends very easily because she is a good mixer. She is philanthropic and gregarious. Her emergence as a Senator representing Ogun State also testifies to her doggedness. Iyabo has been unfairly crowned Queen of Scandals by a weekly magazine."

On her son Gbenga, Mrs Obasanjo wrote: "I vouch that Gbenga did not buy any of the government’s properties sold by the Obasanjo administration. …The undue interest in his matrimonial problems is a cross he is bearing for being an Obasanjo."

Mrs Obasanjo, however, did concede that it has not been all lows with her husband. "It will be cruel and dishonest to say that I did not benefit from my marriage to Obasanjo. I chose him when he was a pauper, but seven years later, after secondary school, I headed to the United Kingdom, on his ticket, to study.

"It may be quixotic, but I affirm that in the beginning he was an excellent husband who wished the best for me before success entered his head. He chose my career for me. Even when he was indigent he made me to develop a reading habit. I could stand and defend myself today, anywhere, thanks in part to Obasanjo."

The book reviewer, Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief of NewAge Newspapers and former Editorial Board member of The Guardian, Mr Sully Abu, said: "Mostly this is a story of infidelities, of the ugly things Obasanjo did, including consorting with sorcerers, even as he pronounced belief in God.

"It is one woman’s story of a relationship gone sour and how it affected her and her children. It bears restating that caution is needed here. This remains one individual’s story and some of the characters may dispute aspects of the narrative. Obasanjo himself is certain to have a different take on the characters and incidents. On the other hand, he may not and may only be amused by it all."

Publisher of the book and CEO of Diamond Publications Ltd, Mr Lanre Idowu, said it was the public’s duty to "read what she has written, engage her in a discussion of the issues raised, and draw necessary lessons in the ensuing rich intellectual encounter."

Guests at the book launch which took place at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, Victoria Island, include former Petroleum Minister, Prof. Tam David West, Chairman of Diamond Publications, Mr Moses Ihonde, a former member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Sidi Ali, a member of The Sun Newspapers Editorial Board, Wale Sokunbi, Tell magazine’s Mr Dele Omotunde, and Executive Director, The News magazine, Mr Kunle Ajibade.

Others are Prof Kofi Duncan, Chairman of STB MCann, Mr Steve Omojafor, Chief Duro Onabulo, Prof Patrick Aina of the Obafemi Awolowo Univeristy, author and environmentalist, Mr Tunde Ogedegbe, Mr Gabriel Omohinmi of the Voice of Nigeria, Mr Dapo Fashanu, Mrs Ibim Semenitari, the author’s siblings - Mr Yinka Akinlanwo and Mrs Titi Olowokere, and her daughter, Mrs Busola Akande, among others.

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=69536
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by Livvvvy(f): 9:46am On Nov 12, 2008
A woman's anger kills faster than the bite of a viper.

I feel her pain, mayb publishing it makes her feel more fulfilled and relieved.

This is what happens when a man ones loved by a woman turns to be a devil, she can do anything to bring your downfall.
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 12, 2008
Nigerians should leave OBJ alone for now since they have refused to harass the other beasts before him.
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by landis(m): 12:23pm On Nov 12, 2008
nuzo:

Nigerians should leave OBJ alone for now since they have refused to harass the other beasts before him.
)

He is on his OWN.

First his SON now his WIFE.

Anyway, he still belongs to prison for embezzling:

1.$16bill power money

2. N40Bill Nigeria Satellite Money

3. Wipe-out of ODI village(even Saddam did not wipe out entire village
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 12, 2008
Remember that i have never been a fan of OBJ and i dont think i will ever be.
However, knowing that nigerians are not ready to match their words with actions by practically demanding justice served on these criminals (past and present); they should simply stop using the name of the old and vicious beast to sell their newspapers and novels.
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by DeepZone: 5:49pm On Nov 12, 2008
He is on his OWN.

First his SON now his WIFE.

Anyway, he still belongs to prison for embezzling:

1.$16bill power money

2. N40Bill Nigeria Satellite Money

3. Wipe-out of ODI village(even Saddam did not wipe out entire village
shocked undecided undecided shocked
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by tpia: 6:31pm On Nov 12, 2008
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by lucabrasi(m): 8:20pm On Nov 12, 2008
@post
let her tell us something we do not already know,
no anger/revenge or tsunami like a woman/wife scorned, grin
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by OBVIOUS(m): 10:45pm On Nov 12, 2008
She talking rubbish to sell her book!!! Tell her to return all the STOLEN money she's spent.

Yeye woman
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by bawomolo(m): 5:29am On Nov 13, 2008
oh please spare me with the attention whorism.

what the f**k is first daughter. is there first dog and first mayguard too?
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by Carlosein(m): 10:27am On Nov 13, 2008
bawomolo:

oh please spare me with the attention whorism.

what the f**k is first daughter. is there first dog and first mayguard too?

ROFLMAO!!! grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo - A Master Of Deception Says Wife by citizenY(m): 1:41pm On Nov 13, 2008
Wai, O ma she O. I don finis matter

(1) (Reply)

Jos Riot: Ibb Appears Before Ajibola Commission / Pdp Conducts Aptitude Test For Aspirants - Funny? / Lamido Sanusi's N1 Billion Property In Abuja - Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.