Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,026 members, 7,953,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:17 AM

Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists (773 Views)

Some Professions That Will Likely Lead You To Divorce. / Funny Wedding Cake Of Couples Who Met In The Club(pix) / Marriage Mistakes Women Make That Lead To Divorce. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by chuqudy(m): 4:54am On Oct 13, 2014
Couples who spend thousands on lavish weddings are likely to divorce sooner than those who enjoy more modest nuptials.

Researchers Andrew Francis and Hugo Mialon at Emory University in Atlanta found that women whose weddings cost $20,000 (£12,450) or more were 3.5 times more likely to end up divorced than those whose weddings cost $5,000 to $10,000.

The findings come after two extravagant celebrity weddings dominated headlines this year, with Kanye West's wedding to reality TV star Kim Kardashian in Florence in May costing a similar amount.

Kardashian's previous marriage to basketball star Kris Humphries in 2011 cost an estimated £6m, and lasted 72 days.

"We find evidence that marriage duration is inversely associated with spending on the engagement ring and wedding ceremony," the authors write in a paper published by the Social Science Authors Network.

They also found that men who spend $2,000 to $4,000 on an engagement ring were 1.3 times more likely to get divorced than men who spent $500 to $2,000.

However, there is a caveat, with the authors noting that those who skimp too much and spend less than $500 experiencing higher divorce rates too.

The study notes the commodification weddings, with bridal magazines in the 1950s advising couples to spend two months on planning weddings, while now they advise sensing 12 months planning, and include a checklist of essential tasks twice as long as 60 years ago.

"The wedding industry has consistently sought to link wedding spending with long-lasting marriages," the professors write.

"We find that marriage duration is either not associated or inversely associated with spending on the engagement ring and wedding ceremony."

Source: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/couples-spend-big-weddings-likely-divorce-sooner-scientists-133800160.html#8u6acup

No wonder there is high rate of Divorce among the celebrities and the rich.

Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by Nobody: 5:57am On Oct 13, 2014
I smell stereotyping
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 13, 2014
[center]they are always findin or researching something [/center]
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by Wittylens(m): 7:04am On Oct 13, 2014
Story Story!!

This wount discourage me from spending millions on my marriage. Their marriages failed because they probably got married for the wrong reason..

I'm going to treat whoever marries me like a Queen. And I will make sure my marriage works , No matter what!
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by iceberylin(m): 7:14am On Oct 13, 2014
You mean Celebrities undecided
Thats right
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by Baddestguyp(m): 8:36am On Oct 13, 2014
I have no comment on this
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by priscaoge(f): 8:45am On Oct 13, 2014
Once in a life time event and u expect a low-key occasion??

#PureLie grin grin

1 Like

Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by ERCROSS(m): 8:54am On Oct 13, 2014
This is the Logic..
There are 2 kinds of people who are likely to spend big on weddings. (And when I say big, I really mean BIG

The billionaire's offspring

Yes.. They spend it big and do it big, I mean really BIG
Their marriage is like to collapse because most of them are spoilt brat right from their childhood,
The bride who is likely not to be a wife material and the groom may not even knw what it takes to head his family.
Pride is the destructive element in that kind of marriage

The copy cat
The bride be like :: All my friends are doing it big, I must do it big too.. Darling, maybe you shld apply for a Loan ooo, because this thing is once in a lifetime oo and I can't afford to have it on low-key.
The Groom be like :: darling, if that will make u happy, I will apply for a 3 million naira loan just so u cud knw I love u..
This kind of marriage is likely to fail because both the groom and bride lacks common sense.
Them go hear kwen when the bank starts their wahala.
And the wife go be like :: he doesn't love me anymore, he hardly take me out for shopping these days, he is not even as caring as my friends hubby's are.
And the husband be like :: aarrghh..
This one no be wife oo. She no knw pass to dey buy gold jewelries, aso-ebi and Brazilian hair..
Destructive element :: no common sense.

My opinion tho.
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by Jollymich(m): 8:55am On Oct 13, 2014
I want to refer to what Fela Kuti said about a Man that went to bank and borrow money to marry after the marriage there was hunger and the woman " vamose " later the Bank manger "come come he say sir pay me my money.
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by djeezy(m): 8:57am On Oct 13, 2014
Crap. Plain silly!
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 13, 2014
Crap. This article is a big load of crap. tongue
Re: Couples Who Spend Big On Weddings Likely To Divorce Sooner, Find Scientists by philantoxx(m): 9:55am On Oct 13, 2014
shallow points.

(1) (Reply)

10 Types Of Girlfriend That Exist! Which One Do U Have Or Are You? / I Think My Girlfriend Has Found A Sugar Daddy / Age Palava

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.