Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,340 members, 7,822,611 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? (1317 Views)

Poultry Farming: A Money Spinner! / Tapping The Gold Mine In Poultry Farming- A Practical Approach / Water Melon Farming ( A Money Spinner) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by ayodejy05(m): 1:43pm On Oct 16, 2014
When some people fail either in school or life, they are usually told to go and start farming because they have failed. Does it mean that farming is a career of failures?Many people think that farming is a career for failures, the old and the illiterates. They even look at farmers as people without brains and nonentity.

Are farmers a failure? A straight forward answer is farmers are not failures and farming is not a career of failures. These are strong-willed people, who stand on their feet even when faced with harsh challenges like drought, crop failure and animal diseases. These are people who continue practising until they get it right, they are not quitters but overcomers. These are people when asked why they do it, they will tell you, "I do it because I love it."

Farming is a noble career with great people who have defied failure, stared it in its face and told it off; people who have stood the test of time doing what they know best. If you want to learn courage, go and ask the farmer. If you want to know how to take calculated risks, go and ask the farmer. If you want to know management, go and ask the farmer. If you want to know economics, go and ask the farmer. The farmer will tell you what it is and how to, because he/she know. Farming is a career with many disciplines, touching nearly every aspect of human life. With all the knowledge the farmer has, how can farming be a career for failure?
A challenge to youths, especially those who have studied Agriculture or any agriculture-related course; you know very well that farming is a business. You know very well how to run profitable farming enterprise. With all the knowledge you have, why do you have to move from place to place looking for a consultancy job? Why should you spend one year looking for a job you don't know if you will ever get it or not, when it only takes three months to grow and sell potatoes? Why should you spend four years trying to find a job overseas when it takes only one year to grow a banana plantation and start enjoying the benefits? Why should you spend your time and energy looking for a job that you very well know that one day it will come to an end whether you are a good you like it or not?”

Be smart, for farmers are smart. Start your farming enterprise now when you still have the drive and the energy. One thing you should never forget is that, he who finds a job today, no matter how good he may be on the job, will one day lose it. But he who finds an enterprise today, will not only create wealth for himself/herself, but will also create opportunities for others; and that's development. That's how smart farmers are, and that's what drives them to do what they do; wanting to make an impact, wanting to give jobs and not to be given a job and wanting to leave the world better than they found it. So if today you come telling me that farming is a career for failures, I would tell you what I have always been telling others; “you don't know who a farmer is, because a the farmer I know is not a beggar but a master.” If the farmer is a master, then who is a failure?
Youths! It's time you thought seriously about a career path, stop running away from your shadows and chasing ghosts, let’s go to the farm, you will be surprised how farming fits you well and how rewarding it is. Remember; "No farmer No food No Future.”

Source: http://www.livestocking.net/is-farming-career-of-failures-or-the-successful

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by RichDad1(m): 2:13pm On Oct 16, 2014
As far as most Nigerians are still concerned, Farming is a One Hoe One Cutlass profession. coolcool
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by nke001: 2:58pm On Oct 16, 2014
Gone are those days!

Try Large Scale Mechanised Farming. Not only that you will enjoy it, but also feed the nation for decades to come while they give their money and thank you also.

Farming = MegaMoney
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by dgitrader(m): 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2014
Farm labourers(specifically cutlass/hoe bearers who are hired daily and have no farm personally) are failures. CONFIRMED

btw... Commercial farming is a goldmine.
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by mogentle(m): 7:43pm On Oct 16, 2014
Yes,OP, you are right. Farmers rule the world, No food, no life.
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by SymbolicalIdol(m): 9:38pm On Oct 16, 2014
'ex agris vita' from agriculture comes life.
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by fayahsoul: 10:56pm On Oct 16, 2014
The four noble proffession: the healer, the famer, the warrior and the artist.
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by oluks05: 12:56pm On Jan 14, 2015
Pls how can one get land for farming or agro processing in Ondo state, either lease or outright buy
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by TheUnbeatable(m): 6:26pm On Jan 18, 2015
oluks05:
Pls how can one get land for farming or agro processing in Ondo state, either lease or outright buy

Location in Ondo state?
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by oluks05: 6:52am On Jan 19, 2015
TheUnbeatable:

Location in Ondo state?

Any of the Akoko towns but preferably close to Ikare
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by TheUnbeatable(m): 7:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
Please pardon me,

Why close to Ikare?
Re: Is Farming A Career of Failures Or The Successful? by ayodejy05(m): 10:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
TheUnbeatable:
Please pardon me,

Why close to Ikare?
Because Ikare has the largest market for farm produce in the whole of Akoko.

(1) (Reply)

Brewery Waste Needed In Sango, Ogun State. / Mirah Mehta-young American Lady Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Northern Nigeria / Irish Potatoes For Sale!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.