Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (697457 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 10:17am On Dec 09, 2015
[b][size=14pt]NIGERIA HIT BY AWONIYI INJURY FOR SENEGAL SHOWDOWN[/size]

Germany-based striker Taiwo Awoniyi has added to the woes of Nigeria ahead of today’s U23 AFCON semi-final against hosts Senegal in Dakar.

Nigeria dare hosts Senegal

The match, which will decide one of tickets for next year’s Rio Olympics, will kick off by 4pm Nigerian time at the Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium in Dakar with Nigeria missing suspended skipper Azubuike Okechukwu and injured Stanley Dimgba.

Nigeria coach coach Samson Siasia has further disclosed Liverpool loanee Awoniyi has now added to the injury woes of the team.

“Two important players are out and (Taiwo) Awoniyi is also injured,” Siasia announced.

The team have also not received any money since they departed Nigeria last month for a training camp in The Gambia.

http://africanfootball.com/news/592136/Nigeria-hit-by-Awoniyi-injury-for-Senegal-showdown[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 10:24am On Dec 09, 2015
[b][size=14pt]SIASIA SAYS TEAM HAVE FIXED DEFENSIVE PROBLEMS[/size]

Nigeria coach Samson Siasia has assured his team have fixed their defensive lapses after they posted a clean sheet against Algeria at the weekend.

Nigeria let in four goals in their first two games against Mali and Egypt, before they posted a more assured display back in defence to hold Algeria to a goalless draw.

Siasia said: “We have learnt our lessons. Two games in which the first half looked good and the last half didn’t. We made our corrections and you can see from how we played in the last game.

"We are not going back home empty –handed; it's no retreat, no surrender. We have to get ourselves ready for tomorrow's game (semi-final vs Senegal); it's going to be a difficult one. It’s going to be eleven players against eleven, so we have our chances to qualify."

He also argued that skipper Azubuike Okechukwu’s absence on account of a one-match suspension will give another player the chance to shine on Wednesday.

“We would have loved to have Azubuike because he is the captain and a big motivator, and you have to have a leader on the field. But he’s suspended, so we have to live with that. There is no need crying over spilt milk,” he said.

“In life, you always have to make adjustments in several areas. Azubuike’s absence will give another player the opportunity to prove himself.”

The coach also said he is using FIFA U17 World Cup sensation Victor Osimhen sparingly so that the youngster is not consumed by the occasion.

http://africanfootball.com/news/591983/Siasia-says-team-have-fixed-defensive-problems[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 10:26am On Dec 09, 2015
[b][size=14pt]GODSPOWER REPLACES SUSPENDED NIGERIA SKIPPER[/size]

Kano Pillars defensive midfielder Godspower Anefiok is most likely to start for Nigeria in place of suspended skipper Azubuike Okechukwu for Wednesday’s U23 AFCON semi-final against hosts Senegal.

Okechukwu will miss the semi-final after he was booked against Mali and Algeria.

Godspower got his first start in the final Group B match against Algeria on Wednesday, but he was played out of position as a winger.

Officials said the former Akwa United star will now stabilize the team’s rather shaky defence as he will focus more on doing his defensive shift as against Okechukwu, who preferred to join the attack.

Bayelsa United winger Toingoli Tonbara will also most likely get his first start in Senegal in place of the injured Stanley Dimgba.

He was a second half sub against Algeria and his mazy dribbles troubled the defence of the North Africans. [/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
I predict a big win for naija, they always pull unexpected results out of nowhere.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2015
Osimhen

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 6:07pm On Dec 09, 2015
BascoVanVeli:
Osimhen
i hear he won the penalty?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:23pm On Dec 09, 2015
enomakos:
i hear he won the penalty?

no but he headed the ball in the area, the penalty was an hand ball from a miscommunication between their defender and keeper.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:43pm On Dec 09, 2015
Bootleg Match Report.

1st off i have to finally agree with oga Icon4s, Junior Ajayi is a very talented footballer who plays with pure loyalty for his coach, i shall follow the lad from now on and i wish him the best.

Osimhen has broken the trend. I didn't know what to expect when he came in but what we got was the same thang. He was even more physical than the Senagalise defenders, his run timing was off and that was probably the only sign there was to know he is a 16 year old.

The game was interestingly dull. It ended with only a goal but had alot more chances. Senegal will rue this match because their finishing was not at the level they should have expected. I do wonder why Siddy Sarr was kept on the bench so long, seems Iheanachoish to me.

Our Keeper Daniels was my man of the match, he stopped a penalty and also made a mind blowing one on one stop to keep us in the game. Although the penalty was his fault he didnt do much wrong before and after.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 9:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

no but he headed the ball in the area, the penalty was an hand ball from a miscommunication between their defender and keeper.
ok thanks bro
i did't watch the match that why
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Petrobros: 9:00am On Dec 10, 2015
What is happening to this once very active and vocal thread. Where has everybody gone so all of a sudden. undecided

terzurum5, icon4s, safarigirl, TheGoodJoe, SuperNerd, and co.

joseph1013, Bascovanveli, enomakos and Mikron are now the only guys moving the thread.

WHERE IS EVERYBODY! NIGERIA HAS QUALIFIED FOR THE OLYMPICS. REASON FOR WHICH THIS THREAD WAS CREATED AND LO AND BEHOLD THE MAJOR ACTORS HAVE ABSCONDED.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:27am On Dec 10, 2015
Petrobros:
What is happening to this once very active and vocal thread. Where has everybody gone so all of a sudden. undecided

joseph1013, Bascovanveli, enomakos and Mikron are now the only guys moving the thread.

WHERE IS EVERYBODY! NIGERIA HAS QUALIFIED FOR THE OLYMPICS. REASON FOR WHICH THIS THREAD WAS CREATED AND LO AND BEHOLD THE MAJOR ACTORS HAVE ABSCONDED.

No need to worry, i am sure they are busy and will be back soon.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 10, 2015
Petrobros:

bro.. Nairaland no dey put food for anybody table pool.....

infact name ontop our mb dem dey jolificate......

anyway it's only for fun we update and analyze.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:41am On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]NIGERIA QUALIFY FOR RIO OLYMPICS AFTER PIPPING SENEGAL[/size]

Nigeria have qualified for next year's Rio Olympics after they pipped hosts Senegal in Wednesday’s U23 AFCON semi-final in Dakar courtesy of a 77th minute penalty by skipper Oghenekaro Etebo.

They will now await the winners of the second semi-final between South Africa and Algeria for Saturday’s championship game.

A mix-up between goalkeeper Seydou and Thioune in the Senegal defence let in Kufre Ebong, but before he could shoot into an empty goal Thioune held on to the ball to be sent off for a professional foul.

Etebo held his nerve to send goalkeeper the wrong way and Nigeria all the way to the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Nigeria’s other super hero was goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel, who saved a penalty in first half stoppage time for Dream Team VI to hold hosts Senegal 0-0 after the first period.

Daniel fouled Dieng Chekhou inside his own box, but he made amends when he saved Sory Keita’s penalty moments later.

The Enugu Rangers goalkeeper also pulled off a big save in the 13th minute, when he came face-to-face with Keita.

He also saved in the 36th minute, when he held a downward header from inside the 18-yard box.

Nigeria also had their chances to get on the scoresheet with the most notable being in the 42nd minute, when Junior Ajayi put the ball through the legs of the Senegal goalkeeper and captain, but Kufre Ebong was denied on the goalline by a meaty tackle by a defender of Senegal.

In the second half, Senegal continued to dominate, recording as many as 11 shots on target as against four by Nigeria.

The game struggled to rise to its high billing but in the 59th minute, Nigeria goalkeeper Daniel used his foot to deny goal-bound Ismaila Sarr.

The home team did not have the cutting edge even when they introduced Belgium-based forward Sidy Sarr and they will now have to try and qualify for the Olympics by winning the third-place match on Saturday.

http://africanfootball.com/news/592351/Nigeria-qualify-for-Rio-Olympics-after-pipping-Senegal[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:42am On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]KANU CELEBRATES NIGERIA'S RIO OLYMPICS TICKET[/size]

Former Nigeria star Kanu Nwankwo has sent a congratulatory message to coach Samson Siasia and the Nigeria U23 team for qualifying for the Rio 2016 Olympic Football event following their 1-0 win over Senegal in semi-final of the U23 AFCON on Wednesday in Dakar.

Kanu was the captain of the original Dream Team who won a historic Olympic football gold medal at Atlanta in 1996 and he said he is now looking forward to a great outing at the next Olympics for the team.

"Congrats Siasia and your coaching staff and congrats to the players. Weldone and let's go to Brazil and do our country proud," Kanu tweeted.

Warri Wolves forward Etebo Oghenekaro scored the only goal from the penalty spot in the second half to beat Senegal in the U23 AFCON semifinal.

http://africanfootball.com/news/592374/Kanu-celebrates-Nigerias-Rio-Olympics-ticket[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:44am On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]SIASIA THANKS 'GODS OF FOOTBALL', GOALKEEPER DANIEL[/size]

Nigeria coach Samson Siasia has praised “gods of football” and goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel for ensuring his team qualified for next year’s Rio Olympics on Wednesday.

Daniel saved a penalty in the first half and pulled up several other great saves to deny hosts Senegal in front of their fans.

“Emmanuel Daniel kept us in the match as he made some brilliant saves today. On another day, we could’ve been embarrassed,” Siasia said after the U23 AFCON semi-final.

And despite creating the better chances and dominating play, Senegal failed to find the back of the Nigerian net.

“I think ‘the gods of football’ were with my team today because Senegal created most of the chances but they failed to score,” admitted the Nigeria coach.

“Creating chances and scoring them are different, so I’m not concerned that we allowed Senegal to have the best chances of the match.”

He added: “I am very happy to win against Senegal again after the Africa Cup of Nations in 1992 and achieving our objective, which was to qualify for the Olympics.

“We did the best we could because we had lots of injuries heading into this match.”

http://africanfootball.com/news/592418/Siasia-thanks-gods-of-football-goalkeeper-Daniel [/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:45am On Dec 10, 2015
[size=14pt]ROAD TO RIO: NIGERIA FACE ALGERIA IN U23 AFCON FINAL[/size]

Nigeria will battle Algeria for the 2015 U23 AFCON crown on Saturday after both teams qualified for the final.

The final will be played 8pm Nigerian time on Saturday at the Leopold Sedar Senghor in Dakar.

Both teams have already qualified for next year’s Rio Olympics by virtue of reaching the championship game.

Nigeria edged past hosts Senegal 1-0 in the first semi-final, while Algeria outscored South Africa 2-0.

This will be third time both teams will clash in this tournament since the inaugural competition in Morocco in 2011, which was won by Gabon.

Nigeria thrashed the North Africans 4-1 four years ago, before they drew 0-0 in a group game in Senegal.

http://africanfootball.com/news/592448/Nigeria-face-Algeria-in-U23-AFCON-final

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:47am On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]SPORTS MINISTRY RESCUES NIGERIA U23S[/size]

Nigeria’s sports ministry has come to the rescue of the country’s team, who have not been paid up to when they booked a ticket to the Rio Olympics and qualified for the final of the U23 AFCON in Senegal.

“I can tell you on good authority that the team will now receive their cash right there in Senegal,” a top official disclosed.

On Saturday, Nigeria will battle Algeria in the U23 AFCON final in Dakar.

Nigeria have defied the non-payment of their allowances and bonuses to reach the championship game of the U23 AFCON.

Dream Team VI trained for 10 days in The Gambia before they headed for the championship in Senegal and they have not received a dime since they departed Nigeria.

“We have not been paid a kobo yet,” had lamented a player of the team.

“We will continue to fly Nigeria’s flag in Senegal but God is watching us all.”

Coach Samson Siasia was generous to give each player $100 from his own pocket after they qualified for the U23 AFCON semis.

The team were also not paid a bonus for holding Congo Brazzaville in Pointe Noire to qualify for the U23 AFCON.

Siasia himself was queried for making public that he has not been paid for several months.

http://africanfootball.com/news/592550/Sports-ministry-rescues-Nigeria-U23s[/b]

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:56am On Dec 10, 2015
[b]“Creating chances and scoring them are different, so I’m not concerned that we allowed Senegal to have the best chances of the match.”... Coach Samson Siasia.

The Dream team coach, Samson Siasia should feel very concerned about the porousness of our defence. In team building, the Chance created is very important. As we go forward in this journey, we are going to face more clinical teams.

Coach Siasia should work on the defence and the defensive midfield. It is important.

Coach Siasia, I beg you, do not forget Obinna Nwobodo.

Coach Siasia plays an expansive possession system. So he needs pass masters to make the team tick. The pass masters are important in the system working. If the team can not hold the ball well, the system weakens.

The likes of Scholes, Ballack, Pirlo, Xavi, David Pizzaro, Riquelme, Xabi Alonso, Modric, Thiago Alcantara, Silva etc.

These guys played their part in making possessive sides tick. I see this kind of Quality in Nwobodo and I think he can help Siasia's team gel.[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 10:00am On Dec 10, 2015
Petrobros:

Bros not to worry, we are still around.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 10:52am On Dec 10, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
[b]“Creating chances and scoring them are different, so I’m not concerned that we allowed Senegal to have the best chances of the match.”... Coach Samson Siasia.

The Dream team coach, Samson Siasia should feel very concerned about the porousness of our defence. In team building, the Chance created is very important. As we go forward in this journey, we are going to face more clinical teams.

Coach Siasia should work on the defence and the defensive midfield. It is important.

Coach Siasia, I beg you, do not forget Obinna Nwobodo.

Coach Siasia plays an expansive possession system. So he needs pass masters to make the team tick. The pass masters are important in the system working. If the team can not hold the ball well, the system weakens.

The likes of Scholes, Ballack, Pirlo, Xavi, David Pizzaro, Riquelme, Xabi Alonso, Modric, Thiago Alcantara, Silva etc.

These guys played their part in making possessive sides tick. I see this kind of Quality in Nwobodo and I think he can help Siasia's team gel.[/b]

Yeah, the problem with this team is more with the midfield and defense. But thank God we got the ticket. The final against Algeria is nt much of importance to me.

Truth is 75% of this team may not make the Olympics. For that defense the following Super Eagles players are eligible as U23s: Kenneth Omeruo, William Troost-Ekong, Chima Akas and Kingsley Madu not also forgetting the uprising Wilfred Ndidi. Note also that Musa Mohammed (the 2015 U20 Captain) would be available for selection. Remember we can present 3 over-aged players; I would personally recommend 2 defenders (Leone Balogun and Efe Ambrose/Obaobona) and 1 defensive midfielder (Ogenyi Onazi).
Imagine our backline and DMF to be:

Balogun.......Ambrose/Obaobona.....Omeruo......Madu/Akas

.........................Onazi

Possible Substitute defenders: Troost-Ekong, Ndidi, Mohamed, Oduduwa, Sincere
This is a defense troop that can get the job done in Rio.

The following players have staged a claim to places in the Rio Team (Not necessarily starting 11): Emmanuel Daniel (Should be promoted straight to the Super Eagles), Oghenekaro Etebor, Azubuike Okechukwu, Stanley Dimgba and Junior Ajayi. The other players will have to try hard in camp to impress the Siasia led Crew knowing fully well that we still have players like; Isaac Success, Imoh Ezekiel, Moses Simon, Godwin Saviour, Kelechi Iheanacho, Elderson Esiti, Alex Iwobi including 6 defenders I earlier mentioned. Also I believe Siasia will give Kingsley Sokari and Etor Daniel another opportunity to correct their wrongs.

My Dream starting line up:

.........................Daniel

Balogun...........Ambrose............Omeruo............Madu

.......................................Azubuike

Simon...................Iheanacho...........................Saviour

.....................................Success

WITH THIS TEAM WE CAN CONQUER THE WORLD.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Petrobros: 11:00am On Dec 10, 2015
Icon4s:

Yeah, the problem with this team is more with the midfield and defense. But thank God we got the ticket. The final against Algeria is nt much of importance to me.

Truth is 75% of this team may not make the Olympics. For that defense the following Super Eagles players are eligible as U23s: Kenneth Omeruo, William Troost-Ekong, Chima Akas and Kingsley Madu not also forgetting the uprising Wilfred Ndidi. Note also that Musa Mohammed (the 2015 U20 Captain) would be available for selection. Remember we can present 3 over-aged players; I would personally recommend 2 defenders (Leone Balogun and Efe Ambrose/Obaobona) and 1 defensive midfielder (Ogenyi Onazi).
Imagine our backline and DMF to be:

Balogun.......Ambrose/Obaobona.....Omeruo......Madu/Akas

Possible Substitute defenders: Troost-Ekong, Ndidi, Mohamed, Oduduwa, Sincere
This is a defense troop that can get the job done in Rio.

The following players have staged a claim to places in the Rio Team (Not necessarily starting 11): Emmanuel Daniel (Should be promoted straight to the Super Eagles), Oghenekaro Etebor, Azubuike Okechukwu, Stanley Dimgba and Junior Ajayi. The other players will have to try hard in camp to impress the Siasia led Crew knowing fully well that we still have players like; Isaac Success, Imoh Ezekiel, Moses Simon, Godwin Saviour, Kelechi Iheanacho, Elderson Esiti, Alex Iwobi including 6 defenders I earlier mentioned. Also I believe Siasia will give Kingsley Sokari and Etor Daniel another opportunity to correct their wrongs.

My Dream starting line up:

.........................Daniel

Balogun...........Ambrose............Omeruo............Madu

.......................................Azubuike

Simon...................Iheanacho...........................Saviour

.....................................Success

WITH THIS TEAM WE CAN CONQUER THE WORLD.

Yeah, more like it. Welcome back Sir!

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:27am On Dec 10, 2015
I went back to look at the 2013 Flying Eagles squad (U20). A lot of peeps probably dnt know some of the following players were in that squad:

Wilfred Ndidi
Kingsley Madu
Abdulahi Shehu
Johnbosco Amaefule(currently in Senegal)
Aminu Umar
Michael Olaitan
Emem Uduok
Olanrewaju Kayode
Abdul Ajagun
Moses Simon

They are all eligible for the Dream Team VI.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lexyman(m): 12:09pm On Dec 10, 2015
@ icon. I really don't like ur proposed team ....but I noticed that u want players with wealth of experience in the back line also , in the midfield , but I would have preferred Musa in that position of Ambrose and Ndidi to replace Kenneth . And we don't really know what tomorrow holds for us ...but we need the likes of ighalo , in that attack when the going gets tough .... I know we will do well come Rio . Don't forget that is the super eagles that is going to play the next World Cup if we qualify .
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 12:55pm On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia grateful for Rio ticket
by Andrew Randa
[/size]

Nigeria Under-23 coach Samson Siasia says he is happy seeing his side qualify for the final of the 2015 Caf Africa Cup of Nations after a hard fought 1-0 win over hosts Senegal in Wednesday’s semifinal at the Stade Leopold Sedar Senghor in Dakar.

The Les Lionceaux had the better chances in the game and Nigeria had goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel to thank for staying in the game.

He pulled up some spectacular saves to first deny Keita and then was at full stretch to stop a free-kick from the attacker minutes later.

Nigeria will eventually take the game by the scruff of the neck after going ahead in the 71st minute largely helped by some calamitous defending from the Senegalese.

Senegal defender Ousseynou Thioune handled the ball in the box in a bid to stop Nigeria from scoring which earned him a red card and Nigeria a penalty.

Oghenekaro Etebo dispatched the spot kick with aplomb for the only goal of the game and a ticket to the football event of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro

“I’m very happy to win against Senegal again after the Africa Cup of Nations in 1992 and achieving our objective, which was to qualify for the Olympics,”Siasia told cafonline.com

“I think the ‘gods of football’ were with my team today because Senegal created most of the chances but they failed to score.

“Emmanuel Daniel (Nigeria goalkeeper) kept us in the match as he made some brilliant saves today. On another day, we could’ve been embarrassed.

“We did the best we could because we had lots of injuries heading into this match but I hope that Senegal can qualify to Rio so as to have a strong African representation in Brazil.

“Creating chances and scoring them are different so I’m not concern that we allowed Senegal to have the best chances of the match.”he added.
http://www.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations-u23/news/151210/Siasia_grateful_for_Rio_ticket
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 12:56pm On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Kanu Congratulates U-23, Mohammed Wants Iheanacho's Inclusion
[/size]
By Mansur Abubakar

Former minister of sports, Col. Musa Mohammed (rtd.) said despite Nigeria's battling win over hosts Senegal to reach the final of the U-23 AFCON, which also earned the team a 2016 Rio Olympic Games, he believes the team is still lacking in talents.

In a chat with Daily Trust immediately after yesterday's 1-0 win at the Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium in Dakar, the former Yobe State military administrator added it's vital that preparations begin in earnest so as to make an impact in next year's Olympics Games in Rio.

"It was a laborious win, not easy on the eyes which shows that the team has a long way to go if it's to make an impact in Rio, amazing talented players like Kelechi Iheanacho have to be drafted in to enhance the team's ability" Mohammed said.

Meanwhile former Super Eagles skipper Nwankwo Kanu took to twitter immediately after the victory to tell the world to expect Nigeria in Brazil.

"Nigeria defeat Senegal 1-0. Rio Olympics here we come #Up Nigeria," the former Arsenal striker wrote.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201512100968.html
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:02pm On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Algeria too strong for SA
[/size]

South Africa’s hopes of securing a place in the final of the U-23 Africa Cup of Nations – and an automatic qualification for the 2016 Olympic Games – were shattered on Wednesday night when they were beaten 2-0 by Algeria in the semifinals in Dakar.

Owen da Gama’s side will now have to beat host nation Senegal in the third-place playoff on Saturday to book a spot at the Rio de Janeiro Games next year.

Algeria join Nigeria in qualifying for the Olympic tournament and will battle the West Africans for the Under-23 Afcon title in the final later on the same day.

Algeria opened the scoring early on with a simple goal. A long ball down the middle of the park allowed striker Oussama Darfalou to spring South Africa’s offside trap and he easily lobbed goalkeeper Jody February to put the North Africans 1-0 up after nine minutes.

It was a lead Algeria were able to hold onto for the remainder of the first half, though South Africa grew in strength as the game went on, enjoying particular progress down the flanks through the likes of Keagan Dolly, Menzi Masuku and Riyaad Norodien.

Da Gama’s side should have equalised in the 18th minute when Norodien provided a pull-back from the right by-line which found Gift Motupa in the middle. However, the Orlando Pirates player was unable to direct a shot on target.

South Africa were unable to continue their progress in the second half, with Algeria claiming a second goal in the 50th minute through Mohammed Benkhemassa.

The midfielder drilled home a long-range shot after picking up a short clearance from a corner kick.

Algeria (1) 2 (Oussama Darfalou 9’, Mohammed Benkhemassa 50’)

South Africa 0

Algeria: Abdelkadir Salhi, Ryad Keniche, Houari Ferhani, Ayoub Abdellaoui (Miloud Rebia 89’), Abdelraouf Benguit, Zakaria Draoui, Mohammed Benkhemassa, Zinedine Ferhat, Abderrahmane Ben Taharm (Nor Salah 76’), Oussama Darfalou (Khalil Semahi 60’), Oussama Chit

South Africa: Jody February, Tebogo Moerane, Rivaldo Coetzee, Kwanda Mngonyama, Abbubaker Mobara, Menzi Masuku (Dumisani Zuma 65’), Phumlani Ntshangase, Deolin Mekoa, Gift Motupa, Riyaad Norodien (Phakamani Mahlambi 54’), Keagan Dolly
http://www.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations-u23/news/151209/Algeria_too_strong_for_SA
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:02pm On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
It’s not over yet - Dolly
[/size]

Keagan Dolly
Two quick goals early in both halves was enough to put the SA U23 men’s national team’s Olympic dream on hold as they went down 2-0 to Algeria in the semifinal of the CAF u23 Africa Cup of Nations on Wednesday.

The match took place at Stade Leopold Senghor in Dakar, Senegal.

“We created a few chances early in the first half but we did not take them, I guess it is part of football, if you don’t take your chances you don’t win games. They got the early goal, not sure about what happened there, but after that we just could not get into the game. Credit must go to Algeria because they played and defended very well. We just had a bad night at the office,” said SA u23 captain Keagan Dolly.

“The boys are very disappointed because things didn’t go our way tonight, but we have to pick ourselves up as we still have another opportunity to qualify, and another opportunity to get back at Senegal who beat us in the first match. We really wanted a win and we all know it should not have come to this, but that is football.”

South Africa will face hosts Senegal in the third/fourth place play off to determine who joins Nigeria and Algeria on the plane to the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro next year.

“We all need to focus on one thing, we need to know that this is important for our lives and our careers, so we need to focus on the upcoming game and forget about the loss. We all have the same goal, we all want to go to Rio and, as I said, the boys are really disappointed with the outcome so I know they will come back fighting,” added Dolly.

Senegal defeated South Africa 3-2 in the opening match of the tournament (Saturday, 28 November) at the same venue where they will meet again.

“In the first game we did not have all our players, and now that everyone is on board I believe the boys look better and sharper. We are now used to our surroundings and the pitch, so we will give it our best. We picked ourselves up after the first loss and won two games in a row, I think with the character and quality in this team, the boys will bounce back and give their all against Senegal to qualify for Rio. It’s the most crucial 90 minutes for all of us," said Dolly.

South Africa and Senegal meet at 16h00 (18h00 South African time) at Stade Leopold Senghor, while Algeria and Nigeria will contest the final at 19h00 (21h00 South African time).

The South Africans are expected back in the country on Monday evening (14 December 2015).

This is how they lined up:

South Africa: Jody February (GK), Kwanda Mngonyama, Rivaldo Coetzee, Tebogo Moerane, Abbubaker Mobara, Keagan Dolly (c), Phumlani Ntshangase, Menzi Masuku (Phakamani Mahlambi 53rd), Deolin Mekoa, Ryaad Norodien (Dumisani Zuma 64th), Gift Motupa

Subs: Ricardo Goss (GK), Kyle Peters (GK), Tshepo Rikhotso, Zitha Macheke, Denwin Farmer, Siphelele Ntshangase, Sibusiso Sibeko, Paseka Mako, Phakamani Mahlambi, Dumisani Zuma

Coach: Owen da Gama

Algeria: Salhi, Keniche, Ferhani, Abdellaoui, Benguit, Draoui, Benkhemassa, Ferhat, Ben Taharm, Darfalou, Chita

Coach: Pierre Andre Schurman
http://www.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations-u23/news/151210/Its_not_over_yet_Dolly
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 1:04pm On Dec 10, 2015
lexyman:
@ icon. I really don't like ur proposed team ....but I noticed that u want players with wealth of experience in the back line also , in the midfield , but I would have preferred Musa in that position of Ambrose and Ndidi to replace Kenneth . And we don't really know what tomorrow holds for us ...but we need the likes of ighalo , in that attack when the going gets tough .... I know we will do well come Rio . Don't forget that is the super eagles that is going to play the next World Cup if we qualify .

Yes i prefare more experience at d back as u know that is d major weakness in dat team. I would nt want Ighalo in this team cos i would love to see us raise younger forwards dat can compete for position with Ighalo in d attack.

And may I know y u prefer Musa over Ambrose and Ndidi over Omeruo?Remember Ambrose is a natural centre back.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:17pm On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Barcelona’s Ekpolo hails Nigeria’s Olympics qualification
[/size]

Barcelona defender, Elohor Godswill Ekpolo, has congratulated the Dream Team VI for qualifying for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

The Benin City – born player would have been one of the foreign – based players representing Nigeria at the tournament, having been invited to a training camp prior to the championship, but Barcelona officials turned rejected the call up because the timing of the competition fell outside the FIFA window, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.

“Congratulations to the national team U-23 of my country Nigeria for the qualification to the Olympics in Río 2016.‪#‎SENNGA ,” allnigeriasoccer.com quoted Ekpolo as saying on social media.

The youngster has played 13 games for Barcelona B team this season.

He captained the Barcelona side that won the UEFA Youth League in 2014.
http://thenationonlineng.net/barcelonas-ekpolo-hails-nigerias-olympics-qualification/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:18pm On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 AFCON: Algeria Coach Expects ‘Interesting’ Final Against Nigeria
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Algeria U-23 coach Andre Schurman has stated that they will be going into Saturday's final of the CAF U-23 Cup of Nations against Nigeria full of confidence.

The Algerians beat South Africa 2-0 in the second semi-final, and will face Nigeria for the second time in the tournament after their first meeting in the group stage ended goalless.

Schurman who hailed the South Africans for their performance, said the final will be a joy to watch.

"The objective was to qualify for Rio and we achieved that. I've to congratulate my team they fought up to the last minute," he told the official CAF website.

"South Africa was a difficult opponent but we managed to get the result and we're confident going into the final.

"Group B was the toughest in the tournament but it doesn't mean that we're the best teams in the tournament. The final will be interesting because the two teams have played in the group stages and now it will be a repeat on Saturday."

En savoir plus sur http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-afcon-algeria-coach-expects-interesting-final-nigeria/#wwg3rDlixVUPUDyK.99
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:27pm On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 AFCON: Aluko, Iwobi Celebrate Nigeria’s Olympic Ticket
[/size]

Hull City forward Sone Aluko has hailed players of the U-23 Eagles for qualifying for next year's Rio Olympic Games.

The U-23 Eagles put behind a poor group stage performance to beat hosts Senegal 1-0 in the Africa U-23 Cup of Nations.

Stand-in skipper Oghenekaro Etebo converted a 77th minute penalty after Ousseynou Thioune handled the ball in the 18-yard box.

Aluko went on to praise coach Samson Siasia.

"Fantastic achievement. Well done to the boys and my former u20 coach Siasia!" he wrote on his Twitter handle.

Also delighted to see Nigeria pick one of the three tickets for the Olympics is Arsenal teenager Alex Iwobi.

Iwobi who was listed in the provisional squad for the competition in Senegal tweeted: "Congrats To Nigeria U-23s Qualifying, Proud Of My Nation."

Siasialed Dream Team to the 2008 Beijing Olympics but lost out in the final to Argentina by a lone goal.

The tournament will be held from the 5 to 21 August 2016.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-afcon-aluko-iwobi-celebrate-nigerias-olympic-ticket/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 1:31pm On Dec 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Chukwu, Toro congratulate Dream Team VI
[/size]

Dream Team

Former Super Eagles coach, Christian Chukwu and former Secretary General of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA), Alhaji Sani Ahmed Toro have congratulated Under -23 team ‘the Dream Team for picking Rio 2016 Olympics ticket and also qualifying for the final of the CAF U-23 AFCON after beating the hosts country, Senegal yesterday.

In his reaction yesterday, Chukwu said it’s a ‘mission accomplished’ after the Dream Team VI booked their Olympic ticket at the Africa Under-23 Cup of Nations in Senegal.

“I’m happy that the first mission at the championship, which was to secure an Olympic ticket, has been successfully achieved. They will now be boosted to go for the second mission, which is the championship top prize.

“Their performance showed they are improving with each game.

“However, it’s not yet a done deal as far as improvement is concerned; they still have to improve further both in the championship and the Olympics proper.

“I must say congratulations to them for making Nigerians happy with the hard-fought Olympic ticket,” said the former Green Eagles strongman and captain.

The semifinals victory against Senegal has instantly handed the Nigerians the 2016 Rio Olympic ticket and a ticket to the final to vie for the Afcon Under-23 trophy.

Also reacting, Alhaji Toro said, “We remain grateful to the Almighty God for the victory and our qualification for the 2016 Olympics. I congratulate the team for making us proud”.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/chukwu-toro-congratulate-dream-team-vi/
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.