Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (697474 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:48pm On Dec 13, 2015
Icon4s:

See bros, we are nt d ones pushing Enyeama out of d national team bt he himself. Somebody that had retired like 2ce before now and each time we go begging him. We are tired of begging dat same Enyeama, so we want to develop another one.

Idion Ighalo is currently our best striker bt I am telling u "he is nt there yet" wink. The Super Eagles have a goal scoring problem and Ighalo may jst on d short term strive to fill dat position. We need to profer a longer term Solution by allowing d younger boys. Odion is average to me. We need to raise a striker or strikers that can rival Yekini and Kanu.Going into d 1996 Olympics Rasheedi Yekini was by far our best striker. Bt Nigeria knew we needed to raise his replacement and thats how Victor Ikpeba and Nwankwo Kanu (hu were both U23) led d attack.
We need to see d strike partnership of Success/Iheanacho/Etebor/Ezekiel.I believe this partnership in any form or combination can get d job done in Rio.

Oga i promise one day i will find u and u will show me where exactly "there" is lol. I won't say Ighalo should take any one spot on the starting 11 but he does deserve at least a chance. I repeat 20 goals in the championship and 10 so far in the epl, i honesty want to see how his season so far ranks among the best from Kanu and Yakubu.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:49pm On Dec 13, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

That is wrong Zlatan retired and came back so did Gyan. The rules u are bringing up don't exist. We all know what the man was going through, its not like he committed a crime at worst he threw a tantrum and stormed out vowing to retire, to me that is not even as bad as Diego Costa throwing his bib at Jose. What we don't get is that at 33 he will get better. If he can come back with extra motivation why not.

Let him come back and then he becomes an option for Coach Siasia. Enyeama should make himself available for selection. If Enyeama calls Coach Siasia and says, if you call me, I will come. Then it is a different case. Until then, Enyeama is not an option.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:49am On Dec 14, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Oga i promise one day i will find u and u will show me where exactly "there" is lol. I won't say Ighalo should take any one spot on the starting 11 but he does deserve at least a chance. I repeat 20 goals in the championship and 10 so far in the epl, i honesty want to see how his season so far ranks among the best from Kanu and Yakubu.

Bros, we all know those stats. He has both the World Cup and AFCON qualifiers to show-case himself: Plenty of matches next year. What I am simply saying is the Super Eagles are nt scoring much goals. For Nigeria to call back Martins shows we have an attacking problem. We need better attacking options. By allowing d real U23s do their show in d attack we may jst harvest more attacking options for the Super Eagles.

Odion Ighalo to me even in this his best form ever is a 6/10 player (slightly above average).
I would personally like to see Isaac Success play that CF role at d Olympics.He and Iheanacho have d potential of being raised to 7-8/10. (Only Ronaldo and Messi I currently rate 9/10).The likes of Aguero, Sanches, Ozil, Suarez, Neymer, Ibramovic are at 8/10.
8/10 & more is the "there" I am talking abt. wink

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:14am On Dec 14, 2015
[color=#0000][b][size=14pt]
African U-23 Championship: Nigerians in South Africa praise Dream Team
[/size]
Kimberley (South Africa) – Some Nigerians resident in South Africa on Sunday commended the National U-23 National Team for winning the African Championship in Senegal.
The Dream Team beat Algeria 2-1 to win the championship.

Mr Emeka Ezinteje, the Public Relations Officer of Nigeria Union in South Africa, said the team demonstrated character and discipline to win the championship.

He said at Kimberley, Northern Cape Province of South Africa, that Coach Samson Siasia did a marvellous job in raising the team.

“I am aware the team did not blend at the commencement of the championship, but they showed character and tactical discipline to win the event,“ he said.

Mr Kennedy Osagie, the Chairman of Nigeria Union, Northern Cape Province, said Nigerians in the province were proud of the team.

“Nigerians were overwhelmed, especially when the goalkeeper saved a penalty at a crucial moment in the match.

“The team made us proud and we urge them to go ahead and win the Olympic medal in Brazil next year,“ he said.

Mr Trust Owoyele, Vice Chairman of Nigeria Union, Gauteng Province of South Africa, said Algeria had been a hard nut to crack for Nigeria in major football events.

“We are happy that the dream team beat them and we believe the victory is well deserved,“ he said.

A lawyer, Mr Tony Okorie, commended Siasia for fielding Victor Osimhen, a member of the National U-17 team, in the championship.

“Osimhen showed class just as he did in the FIFA U-17 championship in Chile and it shows that Nigeria is blessed with abundant talents,“ he said.

Okorie urged the Nigeria Football Federation to keep the U-23 and U-17 teams together to form a formidable Super Eagles team for future tournaments.
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/african-u-23-championship-nigerians-in-south-africa-praise-dream-team/
[/b][/color]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:19am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Kogi Gov-elect hails victorious Dream Team
[/size]
By Kingsley Fanwo
Kogi State Governor-Elect, Alhaji Yahaya Bello has paid tribute to the victorious U-23 Men Football Team of Nigeria for becoming the current African Champions. The Dream Team defeated Algeria by two goals to one in the championship held in Senegal.

In a goodwill message through his media office in Lokoja, on Sunday, the governor-elect hailed the undying spirit of the Dream Team and congratulated President Muhammadu Buhari for the “harvest of football trophies by Nigerian teams”.

He said: “The victorious U-23 Men Football Team has shown the world the undying spirit of Nigerians home and abroad. We have once again, reconfirm our leadership of African football.

“I want to use this opportunity to congratulate the leader of the nation, President Muhammadu Buhari for hoisting two trophies within months. The heroics of Nigeria in continental and global sporting events is further confirmation of the fact that the Buhari administration has brought real change to all spheres of our national endeavours.

“When I assume office on January 27, 2016, I will pay great attention to sports development in the state of Kogi in order to continue to support sports success in the colours of Nigeria.

“Over the years, our state has produced great sporting talents like the late Sunday Bada and many others who have continued to bring honours to the nation. I have an unbroken conviction that Kogi State can emerge the breeding ground for sporting excellence in the nation”.

Alh. Yahaya Bello assured young and talented Kogites of his readiness to make them realize their potentials through support from government and private organizations.
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/kogi-gov-elect-hails-victorious-dream-team/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:22am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Buhari extols Nigeria’s Under-23 African champions
[/size]
By Levinus Nwabughiogu
ABUJA – President Muhammadu Buhari has hailed Nigeria’s Under-23 team for defeating Algeria in the finals of the Under-23 Africa Nations championship on Saturday.

In a press statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu President Buhari stated that the players hard work gave them victory.

Noting that it would be first time that Nigeria attained such soccer glory in the particular category, the president commended the Nigerian sides for bringing laurels to the country.

“The boys have worked incredibly and admirably so hard to bring national glory to Nigeria. Their tenacity and the passion to excel were factors that propelled the Under 23 team to victory. They are talented and determined young Nigerians,” he said.

He said his administration would give them every support and active encouragement to excel in the future.

According to the President, his government would always reward hard work and excellence.

He however advised the Under 23 Nigerian African champions to sustain the standard.
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/buhari-extols-nigerias-under-23-african-champions/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:23am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF praises Nigeria under-23s
[/size]

Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) boss Amaju Pinnick praised the under-23 national team for winning the junior Africa Cup of Nations tournament in Senegal.

The Nigerians clinched the CAF Under-23 Africa Cup of Nations, and a place in next year's Olympic Games, after beating Algeria 2-1 in the final at Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium, Dakar.

The president of the federation also applauded coach Samson Siasia for galvanising the young squad.

"This is another reason to celebrate. We are delighted. But we give a lot of credit to the players and the officials led by coach Samson Siasia," Pinnick said on the federation's website.

"They showed exceptional perseverance and unyielding spirit to do the nation proud. The NFF as a federation has special praise for coach Siasia. He was strong mentally and never lost focus, even in the face of odds. He is deserving of every encomium."
www.football411.com/story/0,22162,14322_107797,00.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:26am On Dec 14, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ajayi hails Nigerians for supporting Dream Team
[/size]
CS Sfaxien striker, Junior Ajayi, has thanked Nigerians for supporting the Dream Team during the U-23 Africa Cup of Nations in Senegal.

“We had so much confidence in ourselves after beating Senegal and knew we can go all the way to win the trophy,” Junior Ajayi told allnigeriasoccer.com.
“And the support of our Nigerian fans made it very easy for us.”

Ajayi scored two goals for the Dream Team at the competition.
The youngster departed Senegal for Tunisia on Sunday morning.
thenationonlineng.net/ajayi-hails-nigerians-for-supporting-dream-team/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:41am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Glo Congratulates Siasia’s Under-23 Team
[/size]
Africa's leading corporate supporter of football, Globacom, has congratulated the Nigeria U-23 team for winning the African U-23 Nations Cup in Dakar, Senegal on Saturday.

The Samson Siasia-coached team defeated Algeria 2-1 in the highly technical game to emerge the African champion after enduring a shaky start in the quadrennial tournament.

"We are delighted that the Dream Team overcame all adversities to triumph over Algeria, thereby adding to the sports laurels won by Nigeria in the outgoing year," Globacom said in a statement in Lagos on Sunday.

"We particularly commend the entire Nigerian team for taking the criticisms that greeted their initial poor performance in their stride and re-dedicated themselves to making Nigeria proud," the statement added.

The company said that as the nation's next generation network, "we encourage this crop of creative footballers to go and conquer the world in football at the Olympic Games holding in Brazil, and thereafter make the national team the Dream Team that Nigeria is yearning for."

The telecommunications company commended Nigerians for their support for the team which it described as the vital tonic, even as it also commended the efforts of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the Sports Ministry in ensuring ultimate success for the team.

"We look forward to a good outing in Brazil as the Dream Team begins preparation for the 2017 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro," the statement further said.

Globacom is the major partner of the Nigeria Football Federation and official sponsor of the Nigerian national football teams.
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/glo-congratulates-siasia-s-under-23-team/227924/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:43am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
December 12 favoured Dream Team –Kalu
[/size]

DREAM team’s first Af­rican Championships tri­umph at the Weekend in Dakar, Senegal did not come as a surprise to for­mer Abia state governor, Dr. Orji Kalu who won a ransom from one of his aides as the Nigerians lifted the trophy.

An excited Kalu edu­cated his aides. “ You guys only follow Chelsea, Bar­celona and Manchester United.

Some of us follow everything soccer. When I looked at the December 12 date for the grand fi­nale with Algeria, I knew the cup was coming to our country. That date is very significant in the history of Nigerian football,” he said.

“Enyimba did it in 2003, repeated that feat in 2004 and I must re­mind you guys that when Shooting Stars of Ibadan won the Africa Winners Cup in 1976, it was on December 12. Now we have Samson Siasia and the Dream Team repeating history,” Kalu explained.

It all began on Decem­ber 12 1976, when Samuel Ojebode led IICC to defeat Roger Milla’s Tonnerre Kalara at the Omnisport Stadium, Yaounde. The first leg in Nigeria was 4-1 in favor of the Shooting Stars whose 0-1 loss in the return leg did not matter. That was the first time a Nigerian club side would win a continental soccer laurel.

Enyimba did it on De­cember12, 2003 in far away Ismailia, Egypt. The Elephants snatched vic­tory from the jaws of Is­maili. That day a national jinx was broken. For the very first time in 38 years, Nigeria grabbed the CAF Champion’s League grand prize. Enyimba retained the trophy in Abuja ,at the expense of Etoile Sahel of Tunisia on December12, 2004.
sunnewsonline.com/new/december-12-favoured-dream-team-kalu/
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:44am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia thrilled with trophy
by Sammy Wejinya
[/size]

Samson Siasia

Head coach of Nigeria’s U-23 football team, Samson Siasia has spoken about his happiness following his side’s triumph at the just-concluded 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations (Afcon) in Senegal.

A double from tournament top scorer, Ogenekaro Etebo sealed a 2-1 win for Nigeria over Algeria in Dakar in the showpiece game on Saturday.

Siasia has now taken the time to voice his satisfaction with his team’s displays in the tournament particularly after the win against a “good Algerian team” in the final.

“I’m very happy today to have won this trophy, even if it was difficult, but the essential thing was done.

“It was not easy for us taking into consideration the teams we met in the first and second round.

Algeria is a good team and they showed that on the pitch, and playing well.

“My players also did well by scoring the goals we needed to win the match. Now we will continue to work, correct our mistakes and improve our game,” Siasia told assembled media shortly after the “Dream Team VI” beat Algeria to claim the U-23 Afcon trophy.

Nigeria will represent Africa at the men’s football event of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro alongside Algeria and South Africa.
www.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations-u23/news/151214/Siasia_thrilled_with_trophy
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:48am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Schurmann blames errors for loss to Nigeria
by Sammy Wejinya
[/size]

Andre-Pierre Schurmann

Head coach of Algeria’s U-23 football team, Andre-Pierre Schurmann believes mistakes made by his players were mainly responsible for the 1-2 loss to Nigeria in the final of the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations (Afcon) in Senegal.

A fine display saw Nigeria claim a deserved victory at Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium, Dakar on Saturday with Oghenekaro Etebo grabbing a brace for the West Africans.

The North Africans’ consolation came courtesy of a Segun Oduduwa own goal.

Schurmann, while congratulating Nigeria for their victory, also reserved some harsh words for his charges.

“First, I congratulate Nigeria on the victory. I’m not satisfied with the outcome of the meeting, because we had the game in hand.

“We played well. This is the highest level. In football, there are errors that can be very costly, and they cost us dearly.

“My players committed two individual errors that offered two goals to Nigeria. Now it's back to work and prepare well for upcoming competitions.

“The players understand the high demand for maximum concentration during games. In this final, we played well. We could have won,” he said during the post-match press conference after the loss to Nigeria.

A missed Zinedine Ferhat penalty did not help the cause of ‘Les Fennecs’ but Schurmann does not believe that incident was the decisive moment in the game.

“The penalty was not the turning point of the match, because after (the miss) we had many opportunities.

“At this level of competition we must not give the opponent the means to flag as we did. I cannot say I'm satisfied, because a coach is never happy after a defeat especially in the final,” he said.

Despite the loss to Nigeria, Algeria will join the 1996 champions and South Africa as Africa’s representatives at the men’s football event of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
www.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations-u23/news/151214/Schurmann_blames_errors_for_loss_to_Nigeria
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 7:50am On Dec 14, 2015
forgiveness:

Yes oo.. I like talented players pass mediocre players ooooo grin
hahaha but bro must of those player are not better than the one we have at home
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:52am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Money didn’t motive us to win – Etebo
[/size]
TWO goals hero in Nigeria’s 2-1 win over Algeria in the final of the CAF Africa Cup of Nations, Oghenekaro Etebo has denied that the settlement of their outstanding allowances by the Sports minister spurred them to victory.
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/495216/etebo-oghenekaro/[/img]
Etebo Oghenekaro

The Nigerian squad against all odds, grabbed an Olympic ticket and won the CAF U-23 tournament, This is even as they were not paid a dime in their month long campaign.

After beating Senegal in the semi-final, the boys boycotted training ahead of the final match against Algeria, but for the timely intervention of Sports and Youth Minister, Solomon Dalung, who ordered that they be paid, and he also enticed them with a bonus if they won the final against Algeria.
“I won’t say we left our best for the final because we were paid.

We were motivated because everybody wanted to win the trophy despite the fact we had already qualified for the Olympics.

To make it sweeter, we wanted to go for Gold,” Etebo told a llnigeriasoccer.com.

“We made mistakes that cost us in the earlier games but we fixed them because we lost concentration in the first two games in the second half and we promised ourselves to fix it right which we did.”

Etebo scored five goals to emerge the tournament’s top scorer and now he is set to move to Europe.

“Well, hopefully I think I am off to Europe which has always been my prayer and I believe it has come to pass. Clubs are already talking with me, “ the Dream Team number 8 concluded.

Dollar rain for African Champions
EACH Nigeria play-er was paid the Naira equivalent of $4,000 after they beat Algeria 2-1 to clinch the 2015 AFCON in Dakar, Senegal, on Saturday night and this brings to a total of $12,000 each player was paid.

“We have been paid our winning bonus for the final,” a player confirmed on Sunday morning.

They would not have got anything had they lost the final. In total, each player received the Naira equivalent of $12,000 for winning the U-23 AFCON. Coach Samson Siasia was paid double this amount.

A further breakdown showed the team were for the final win, $3,000-a-man for the semi-final win over hosts Senegal, $2,000-a-man for the opening-day win over Mali, and $1,000 for the draws with Egypt and Algeria.

They were also paid $100 per day for the 10 days they trained in The Gambia prior to this championship, which amounted to $1,000.
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/money-didnt-motive-us-to-win-etebo/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 7:53am On Dec 14, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Just as long as we don't repeat the great mistake of Alaba. There should be an open door policy for all foreign based youths.

i agreed we shall go for only the best
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:56am On Dec 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF South Africa 2015 U23 Africa Cup of Nations
Praise for SA U23s from South African Ambassador to Senegal
[/size]

South African players celebrating after winning on penalties during the U23 African Cup of Nations match between South Africa and Senegal

The South African Ambassador to Senegal, His Excellency A.M. Shilubane, praised Owen da Gama's troops during a lunch at his residence in Dakar on Sunday, 13 December.

This comes after coach Da Gama's squad defeated host nation Senegal 3-1 on penalties in the third place play off of the CAF U23 Africa Cup of Nations tournament.

The clash took place on Saturday, 12 December at Stade Leopold Sedar Senghor and South Africa took third place in the tournament, meaning they booked a place in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in Brazil.
South Africa also won the Fair Play Award.

“Thank for your discipline on and off the field. For me it was very important because not so long ago we come from xenophobic attacks in South Africa and there were a few Senegalese nationals who were affected. Your conduct during your time here showed what South Africans are really like,” said Shilubane.

“When we talk about matters on the field though, in the first match I was sitting behind the Head of Delegation and I didn’t know what to say after losing 3-1 to Senegal and I quickly left after the match. If the pain I was feeling was that great, I can only imagine what pain the coach was going through.

"For you to come back and beat Senegal in Senegal is quite an achievement. Yesterday I had a function in the evening and I could proudly walk around other ambassadors thanks to what you did. Everybody was congratulating me and it was a good feeling.”

“We are very proud of you because your win was not only for the people of South Africa. It means a lot more than you can imagine - you are also representing SADC (Southern African Development Communities which has 15 member countries) – and that is one of the reasons today at this lunch we have our colleagues from Zambia, Zimbabwe and Namibia,” said Shilubane.

“When we are here we do things together, we move as SADC. So you represented us well. Zambia was here in the tournament and did not make it but I am almost certain they are happy for us because we also represent them.
And that is very important to us.”
africanfootball.com/news/593622/Praise-for-SA-U23s-from-South-African-Ambassador-to-Senegal
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:07am On Dec 14, 2015
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
Schurmann blames errors for loss to Nigeria
by Sammy Wejinya
[/size]

Andre-Pierre Schurmann

Head coach of Algeria’s U-23 football team, Andre-Pierre Schurmann believes mistakes made by his players were mainly responsible for the 1-2 loss to Nigeria in the final of the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations (Afcon) in Senegal.

A fine display saw Nigeria claim a deserved victory at Leopold Sedar Senghor Stadium, Dakar on Saturday with Oghenekaro Etebo grabbing a brace for the West Africans.

The North Africans’ consolation came courtesy of a Segun Oduduwa own goal.

Schurmann, while congratulating Nigeria for their victory, also reserved some harsh words for his charges.

“First, I congratulate Nigeria on the victory. I’m not satisfied with the outcome of the meeting, because we had the game in hand.

“We played well. This is the highest level. In football, there are errors that can be very costly, and they cost us dearly.

“My players committed two individual errors that offered two goals to Nigeria. Now it's back to work and prepare well for upcoming competitions.

“The players understand the high demand for maximum concentration during games. In this final, we played well. We could have won,” he said during the post-match press conference after the loss to Nigeria.

A missed Zinedine Ferhat penalty did not help the cause of ‘Les Fennecs’ but Schurmann does not believe that incident was the decisive moment in the game.

“The penalty was not the turning point of the match, because after (the miss) we had many opportunities.

“At this level of competition we must not give the opponent the means to flag as we did. I cannot say I'm satisfied, because a coach is never happy after a defeat especially in the final,” he said.

Despite the loss to Nigeria, Algeria will join the 1996 champions and South Africa as Africa’s representatives at the men’s football event of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
www.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations-u23/news/151214/Schurmann_blames_errors_for_loss_to_Nigeria
[/b]

What mistakes is he talking about. Nigeria was superior that night. It was there own goal that was even a mistake.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:12am On Dec 14, 2015
REPRESENTING THE DREAM TEAM I (ATLANTA 1996)
OUR BEST EVER:

1 GK Emmanuel Babayaro 26 December 1976 (aged 19) Plateau United

2 DF Celestine Babayaro 29 August 1978 (aged 17) Anderlecht

3 DF Taribo West 26 March 1974 (aged 22) Auxerre

4 FW Nwankwo Kanu 1 August 1976 (aged 19) Ajax

5 DF Uche Okechukwu* 27 September 1967 (aged 28) Fenerbahçe

6 MF Emmanuel Amuneke* 25 December 1970 (aged 25) Sporting CP

7 MF Tijani Babangida 25 December 1973 (aged 22) Roda

8 MF Wilson Oruma 30 December 1976 (aged 19) Lens

9 MF Teslim Fatusi 17 September 1977 (aged 18) Ferencváros

10 MF Jay-Jay Okocha 14 August 1973 (aged 22) Eintracht Frankfurt

11 FW Victor Ikpeba 12 June 1973 (aged 23) AS Monaco

12 DF Abiodun Obafemi 25 December 1973 (aged 22) Toulouse

13 FW Garba Lawal 22 May 1974 (aged 22) Espérance

14 FW Daniel Amokachi 30 December 1972 (aged 23) Everton

15 MF Sunday Oliseh 14 September 1974 (aged 21) Köln

16 DF Kingsley Obiekwu 12 November 1974 (aged 21) Go Ahead Eagles

17 DF Mobi Oparaku 1 December 1976 (aged 19) Anderlecht

18 GK Dosu Joseph 19 June 1977 (aged 19) Julius Berger

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:19am On Dec 14, 2015
REPRESENTING THE ARGENTINE TEAM WE BEAT IN THAT 1996 OLYMPICS FINAL:

1 GK Carlos Bossio 1 December 1973 (aged 22) Estudiantes de La Plata

2 DF Roberto Ayala 14 April 1973 (aged 23) Napoli

3 DF José Chamot* 17 May 1969 (aged 27) Lazio

4 DF Javier Zanetti 10 August 1973 (aged 22) Internazionale

5 MF Matías Almeyda 21 December 1973 (aged 22) River Plate

6 DF Roberto Sensini* 12 October 1966 (aged 29) Parma

7 FW Claudio López 17 July 1974 (aged 22) Valencia

8 MF Diego Simeone* 28 April 1970 (aged 26) Atlético Madrid

9 FW Hernán Crespo 5 July 1975 (aged 21) Parma

10 FW Ariel Ortega 4 March 1974 (aged 22) River Plate

11 MF Hugo Morales 30 July 1974 (aged 21) Lanús

12 GK Pablo Cavallero 13 April 1974 (aged 22) Vélez Sársfield

13 MF Héctor Pineda 13 July 1975 (aged 21) Boca Juniors

14 MF Pablo Paz 27 January 1973 (aged 23) Banfield

15 MF Christian Bassedas 16 February 1973 (aged 23) Vélez Sársfield

16 FW Gustavo López 13 April 1973 (aged 23) Real Zaragoza

17 FW Marcelo Delgado 24 March 1973 (aged 23) Racing Club

18 MF Marcelo Gallardo 18 January 1976 (aged 20) River Plate

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:20am On Dec 14, 2015
The Olympics is just next to the senior world cup. We need our best eligible players.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:29am On Dec 14, 2015
REPRESENTING THE DREAM TEAM IV: BEIJING 2008.

1 GK Ambruse Vanzekin 14 July 1986 (aged 22) Akwa United

2 DF Chibuzor Okonkwo 16 December 1988 (aged 19) Bayelsa United

4 DF Onyekachi Apam 30 December 1986 (aged 21) Nice

5 DF Dele Adeleye 25 December 1988 (aged 19) Sparta Rotterdam

6 MF Monday James 19 October 1986 (aged 21) Bayelsa United

7 FW Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi 1 June 1986 (aged 22) Hoffenheim

8 MF Sani Kaita 2 May 1986 (aged 22) Sparta Rotterdam

9 FW Victor Nsofor Obinna 25 March 1987 (aged 21) Chievo

10 MF Promise Isaac (c) 2 December 1987 (aged 20) Trabzonspor

11 FW Solomon Okoronkwo 2 March 1987 (aged 21) Hertha BSC

12 MF Oluwafemi Ajilore 18 January 1985 (aged 23) Groningen

13 DF Olubayo Adefemi 13 August 1985 (aged 22) Hapoel Bnei Lod

14 FW Peter Odemwingie* 15 July 1981 (aged 27) Lokomotiv Moscow

15 DF Efe Ambrose 18 October 1988 (aged 19) Kaduna United

16 FW Victor Anichebe 23 April 1988 (aged 20) Everton

17 MF Emmanuel Ekpo 20 December 1987 (aged 20) Columbus Crew

18 GK Ikechukwu Ezenwa 16 October 1988 (aged 19) Ocean Boys

19 MF Oladapo Olufemi 11 May 1988 (aged 20) Boavista

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:39am On Dec 14, 2015
REPRESENTING THE ARGENTINE TEAM THAT BEAT NIGERIA IN THAT 2008 FINAL:

1 GK Óscar Ustari 3 July 1986 (aged 22) Getafe

2 DF Ezequiel Garay 10 October 1986 (aged 21) Real Madrid

3 DF Luciano Fabián Monzón 13 April 1987 (aged 21) Boca Juniors

4 DF Pablo Zabaleta 16 January 1985 (aged 23) Espanyol

5 MF Fernando Gago 10 April 1986 (aged 22) Real Madrid

6 DF Federico Fazio 17 March 1987 (aged 21) Sevilla

7 MF José Ernesto Sosa 19 June 1985 (aged 23) Bayern Munich

8 MF Éver Banega 29 June 1988 (aged 20) Valencia

9 FW Ezequiel Lavezzi 3 May 1985 (aged 23) Napoli

10 MF Juan Román Riquelme* (c) 24 June 1978 (aged 30) Boca Juniors

11 MF Ángel Di María 14 February 1988 (aged 20) Benfica

12 DF Nicolás Pareja* 18 January 1984 (aged 24) Anderlecht

13 FW Lautaro Acosta 14 March 1988 (aged 20) Sevilla

14 MF Javier Mascherano* 8 June 1984 (aged 24) Liverpool

15 FW Lionel Messi 24 June 1987 (aged 21) Barcelona

16 FW Sergio Agüero 2 June 1988 (aged 20) Atlético Madrid

17 FW Diego Buonanotte 19 April 1988 (aged 20) River Plate

18 GK Sergio Romero 22 February 1987 (aged 21) AZ

19 GK Nicolás Navarro 25 March 1985 (aged 23) Napoli

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Petrobros: 11:48am On Dec 14, 2015
^^^^ Omo, good memories. With the kind of squads I am seeing above our Dream Team VI " ARE NOT YET THERE" o. grin

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 12:19pm On Dec 14, 2015
enomakos:
hahaha
but bro must of those player are not better than the one we have at home

Really! Ok na but you still have to prove it with statistics now.

Anyway, I will come back with the profile of the 1996 Olympics winning team before they won the Olympics football game.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:09pm On Dec 14, 2015
Icon4s:
REPRESENTING THE ARGENTINE TEAM THAT BEAT NIGERIA IN THAT 2008 FINAL:

1 GK Óscar Ustari 3 July 1986 (aged 22) Getafe

2 DF Ezequiel Garay 10 October 1986 (aged 21) Real Madrid

3 DF Luciano Fabián Monzón 13 April 1987 (aged 21) Boca Juniors

4 DF Pablo Zabaleta 16 January 1985 (aged 23) Espanyol

5 MF Fernando Gago 10 April 1986 (aged 22) Real Madrid

6 DF Federico Fazio 17 March 1987 (aged 21) Sevilla

7 MF José Ernesto Sosa 19 June 1985 (aged 23) Bayern Munich

8 MF Éver Banega 29 June 1988 (aged 20) Valencia

9 FW Ezequiel Lavezzi 3 May 1985 (aged 23) Napoli

10 MF Juan Román Riquelme* (c) 24 June 1978 (aged 30) Boca Juniors

11 MF Ángel Di María 14 February 1988 (aged 20) Benfica

12 DF Nicolás Pareja* 18 January 1984 (aged 24) Anderlecht

13 FW Lautaro Acosta 14 March 1988 (aged 20) Sevilla

14 MF Javier Mascherano* 8 June 1984 (aged 24) Liverpool

15 FW Lionel Messi 24 June 1987 (aged 21) Barcelona

16 FW Sergio Agüero 2 June 1988 (aged 20) Atlético Madrid

17 FW Diego Buonanotte 19 April 1988 (aged 20) River Plate

18 GK Sergio Romero 22 February 1987 (aged 21) AZ

19 GK Nicolás Navarro 25 March 1985 (aged 23) Napoli

Omo, this Argentine Squad is too Bloody. This squad was good enough for the World Cup.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 1:40pm On Dec 14, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Omo, this Argentine Squad is too Bloody. This squad was good enough for the World Cup.

Omo seeing the names alone u 'll say dey deserved d gold medal.

The Olympic soccer event is very close to d senior World cup in terms of competitiveness. Nigeria must b ready o no b this one way we manage for Senegal

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:20pm On Dec 14, 2015
Icon4s:

Omo seeing the names alone u 'll say dey deserved d gold medal.

The Olympic soccer event is very close to d senior World cup in terms of competitiveness. Nigeria must b ready o no b this one way we manage for Senegal

I agree with you. Coach Siasia has to buckle up because the other countries that will come will come with lots of prominent names. We need to make a statement with this Olympics.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:04pm On Dec 14, 2015
Icon4s:

Bros, we all know those stats. He has both the World Cup and AFCON qualifiers to show-case himself: Plenty of matches next year. What I am simply saying is the Super Eagles are nt scoring much goals. For Nigeria to call back Martins shows we have an attacking problem. We need better attacking options. By allowing d real U23s do their show in d attack we may jst harvest more attacking options for the Super Eagles.

Odion Ighalo to me even in this his best form ever is a 6/10 player (slightly above average).
I would personally like to see Isaac Success play that CF role at d Olympics.He and Iheanacho have d potential of being raised to 7-8/10. (Only Ronaldo and Messi I currently rate 9/10).The likes of Aguero, Sanches, Ozil, Suarez, Neymer, Ibramovic are at 8/10.
8/10 & more is the "there" I am talking abt. wink

People might think this man gets too much publicity but i don't share those sentiments, right now make no mistake about it he is the best striker in England. In every single match this man has a hand in the outcome. We can wait till forever for the next great superstar or we can embraces the players flying our flag the highest. Messi and CR7 are once in a lifetime occurrences just like Okocha and Yekini. If we give Odion his rightful chance to be the man then who knows how he will be remembered. His numbers if kept up should make him an automatic selection.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:12pm On Dec 14, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I agree with you. Coach Siasia has to buckle up because the other countries that will come will come with lots of prominent names. We need to make a statement with this Olympics.

Exactly! We needed this Olympic like as if the future of Nigeria depended on it. It is a known fact that most countries build there national teams from the Olympics. Take a look at that Argentine Team of 2008 and u will think u are seeing the current Argentine senior Team.
We need this Olympics to blend our future stars into the Super Eagles.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:24pm On Dec 14, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

People might think this man gets too much publicity but i don't share those sentiments, right now make no mistake about it he is the best striker in England. In every single match this man has a hand in the outcome. We can wait till forever for the next great superstar or we can embraces the players flying our flag the highest. Messi and CR7 are once in a lifetime occurrences just like Okocha and Yekini. If we give Odion his rightful chance to be the man then who knows how he will be remembered. His numbers if kept up should make him an automatic selection.

I perfectly understand your point bro. But u see, one area where this Olympic team is not lacking talent is in the attack. Odion Ighalo may be our best striker but if u watched the CAF U23 Team, our problem is not in the attack but the midfield and defense. Take a look at these strikers/supporting strikers/AM: Success, Iheanacho, Ezekiel, Etebo, Awoniyi, Sokari, Ajayi and Osimhen of which not all of them may make it to Rio. Any 4 or 5 players that can emerge from this crop of 8 would be good enough to do the job.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lexyman(m): 7:02pm On Dec 14, 2015
Icon4s:

Exactly! We needed this Olympic like as if the future of Nigeria depended on it. It is a known fact that most countries build there national teams from the Olympics. Take a look at that Argentine Team of 2008 and u will think u are seeing the current Argentine senior Team.
We need this Olympics to blend our future stars into the Super Eagles.

"Our future depends on it ...Nigeria must do well in the Olympic , our success in the Olympic is what will determine our next World Cup success if we qualify "

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 8:43pm On Dec 14, 2015
Icon4s:

What mistakes is he talking about. Nigeria was superior that night. It was there own goal that was even a mistake.

The man is simply bitter about the defeat.

You know now, those kinds of thoughts that keep coming to your heart after every defeat.

Hahahahahah
the man still wishes his players should have utilized some of the chances they had.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.