Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:20 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (703195 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by bishop88: 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2015
Ighalo can't stop scoring,we need that guy in the sia one team

4 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 9:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
bishop88:
Ighalo can't stop scoring,we need that guy in the sia one team
club forms a hardly enough to judge national team impact.

Like I've said repeatedly, I'm happy for Odion, but I'm wary of the possibility of him not turning up at the Olympics

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Echiejile recovered and flopped. That is a fact. Echiejile is a weak crosser. If I start digging my comments, you will see complaints I made.

If you remember Oshaniwa running to celebrate with Coach Keshi in one of the qualifiers, it was due to his impact on the team.

I actually watch that wing a lot. There is no way you can compare them. I just hope Coach Oliseh gives the young man a chance. When Oshaniwa plays, you do not notice his forward runs and track backs because he does it effortlessly.

U cannot judge Elderson based on his immediate form after recovering. Look at this year he is a regular at his club with some respectable performances in the Europa. On this eagles team our fullbacks are not given freedom but he still had that great cross to Ighalo against Cameroon. Oshiniwa did a concrete job i have no knocks against him but there is nothing special about his game. Either way i wouldn't be inviting either to the Olympics.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

U cannot judge Elderson based on his immediate form after recovering. Look at this year he is a regular at his club with some respectable performances in the Europa. On this eagles team our fullbacks are not given freedom but he still had that great cross to Ighalo against Cameroon. Oshiniwa did a concrete job i have no knocks against him but there is nothing special about his game. Either way i wouldn't be inviting either to the Olympics.

Echiejile has never been convincing especially going forward. The most important aspect of a wing back is how freely he overlaps and tracks back. That, Oshaniwa does effortlessly. His crosses are also accurate.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 28, 2015
Even Ahmed Musa wants to be part of the Olympics

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:49am On Dec 29, 2015
Who else thinks Success can do exactly what Ighalo is doing in the Premiership?

4 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:46am On Dec 29, 2015
joseph1013:

I believe Success can do it without a doubt. Unfortunately, he is stuck with some crap players who he has to help give Granada face.

I see Watford replacing Odion Ighalo with Success if a team comes with the right money for Ighalo.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 12:13pm On Dec 29, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I believe Success can do it without a doubt. Unfortunately, he is stuck with some crap players who he has to help give Granada face.

I see Watford replacing Odion Ighalo with Success if a team comes with the right money for Ighalo.

That would be a blessing. Though I'm not sure Ighalo ever played as a winger at Granada.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:25pm On Dec 29, 2015
joseph1013:

That would be a blessing. Though I'm not sure Ighalo ever played as a winger at Granada.

Success is also a finisher. He is played off his natural position to bring creativity into the Granada side.

If Success is played up front in a better side, he would be a hit.

Granada knows they have a good player in their hands. That is why they gave him a new contract.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:15pm On Dec 29, 2015
joseph1013:

I respect the love for Success but at some point u have to give immense credit to Ighalo. I don't believe any Nigerian has done what he has been doing so far in the epl.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 1:36pm On Dec 29, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

I respect the love for Success but at some point u have to give immense credit to Ighalo. I don't believe any Nigerian has done what he has been doing so far in the epl.

Oh you got that wrong! I'm not taking anything away from him. He is a very good striker, even if I dont want him close to the Olympic team.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by EagleScribes: 1:46pm On Dec 29, 2015
joseph1013:

He will even do much more. He's got great speed and technique too

4 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2015
joseph1013:

Oh you got that wrong! I'm not taking anything away from him. He is a very good striker, even if I dont want him close to the Olympic team.

That was another conversation but now u make it seem like what he is doing isn't special. There is no big difference between watford and Granada, if Success could do what Ighalo is doing he'd be doing it right now. There is a big gap between 2 and 14. Isaac might be our future but right now the best Nigerian on the planet is Ighalo.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 4:52pm On Dec 29, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

you forget yakubu aiyegbeni

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:59pm On Dec 29, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

That was another conversation but now u make it seem like what he is doing isn't special. There is no big difference between watford and Granada, if Success could do what Ighalo is doing he'd be doing it right now. There is a big gap between 2 and 14. Isaac might be our future but right now the best Nigerian on the planet is Ighalo.

Well, I already told you I think he is a very good player, if you still insist you think I didnt mean that, that's your cup of tea.

Tell me how many goals Ighalo scored in his second season at Granada, compare that with the number of goals Success has scored in his second season at a younger age.

I will wait...

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:32pm On Dec 29, 2015
joseph1013:

Well, I already told you I think he is a very good player, if you still insist you think I didnt mean that, that's your cup of tea.

Tell me how many goals Ighalo scored in his second season at Granada, compare that with the number of goals Success has scored in his second season at a younger age.

I will wait...

He actually started his career in Nigeria but that is not my point, let us just enjoy his moment because it is part of Nigerian history. He could very well be our next Yekini.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:36pm On Dec 29, 2015
enomakos:
you forget yakubu aiyegbeni

To put what Ighalo is doing in perspective, the most Yakubu ever scored in a season was 17 only 3 goals more than Ighalo has right now. " "

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by linked: 9:56am On Dec 30, 2015
CFCman:

The Olympic tournament has been part of the FIFA calendar since 2012. So clubs are bound to release players for the tourney.

FIFA says soccer clubs don’t have to release players for Rio Olympics

By Nick ZaccardiSep 25, 2015, 9:42 AM EST

Soccer clubs are under no obligation to allow their players to play in the Rio Olympic men’s tournament, FIFA said Friday.

“The event is not part of the international match calendar,” FIFA said in a press release. “However, FIFA is asking for support from the clubs to allow players who are called up by their national teams to be given the chance to be part of the Olympic experience.”

The move could impact Brazil’s biggest sports star, Barcelona striker Neymar, who has said he’s made his intentions to play in the Olympic soccer tournament known to his club.

In 2012, FIFA ordered club teams to allow under-23 players to compete in the Olympics. In 2008, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled Barcelona did not have to release Lionel Messi to compete in the Olympics, though Messi did end up winning gold with Argentina anyway.

In May, Brazil national team coach Dunga, who is also the under-23 Olympic team coach after the firing of Alexandre Gallo, said Neymar’s participation in the Rio Olympics was dependent on talks with Barcelona, according to O Globo.

Neymar may be the 2016 Olympic host nation’s most famous potential Olympian, but there is at least some question of whether he will suit up at the Rio Games.

Copa America Centenario is slated to take place from June 3-26. Soccer at the 2016 Olympics takes place from Aug. 3-20. Neymar plays for Barcelona in La Liga, whose season usually begins in late August. That would be a busy summer of national team duty, which may not sit well with Barcelona.

Three of the world’s other top players — Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo, Paris Saint-Germain’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Messi — also play internationally for nations that qualified for Rio 2016 (Portugal, Sweden and Argentina).

World Cup winner Germany also qualified for Rio.

Olympic soccer teams are made up of players aged 23 and under. There’s also an option of having three over-age players, which is where Neymar, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic and Messi would come in.

Some nations take greater advantage of the Olympic rule that allows three over-age players more than others. In 2012, Brazil used its exceptions on three exceptional players —Hulk, Marcelo and Thiago Silva — who started for Brazil in the 2014 World Cup.

Brazil, which has won five World Cups, has never won Olympic gold in soccer. It won silver in 1984, 1988 and 2012 and bronze in 1996 and 2008.

Neymar, then 20, was part of the 2012 Olympic team that lost to Mexico in the final.

Also Friday, FIFA confirmed that the Qatar 2022 World Cup would not interfere with the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, as the IOC has said for months.

The 2022 World Cup dates are Nov. 21-Dec. 18, which will coincide with various winter sports seasons.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by linked: 10:01am On Dec 30, 2015
If clubs refuses to release their players for the Olympics, any FA can cry a river... of course 'crying' will never raise dust...

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:36am On Dec 30, 2015
linked:
If clubs refuses to release their players for the Olympics, any FA can cry a river... of course 'crying' will never raise dust...

Neymar, Messi, CR7 and Ibra will more than likely hoist their countries flags on opening day if they go. Without a doubt i am sure these 4 will be there regardless, the pressure will be too much on the clubs to release them. Especially Barca and Real who are already at risk of losing these players, stopping them could be the final straw.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 11:27am On Dec 30, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Ighalo was crap in the third division of Spain, only managed to get 12 goals in 3 seasons there.

if Success goes to England, he'll have 20 goals halfway into the season. EPL plays kindergarten football compared to LA Liga. Don't get carried away

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 11:36am On Dec 30, 2015
linked:

FIFA says soccer clubs don’t have to release players for Rio Olympics

By Nick ZaccardiSep 25, 2015, 9:42 AM EST

Soccer clubs are under no obligation to allow their players to play in the Rio Olympic men’s tournament, FIFA said Friday.

“The event is not part of the international match calendar,” FIFA said in a press release. “However, FIFA is asking for support from the clubs to allow players who are called up by their national teams to be given the chance to be part of the Olympic experience.”

The move could impact Brazil’s biggest sports star, Barcelona striker Neymar, who has said he’s made his intentions to play in the Olympic soccer tournament known to his club.

In 2012, FIFA ordered club teams to allow under-23 players to compete in the Olympics. In 2008, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled Barcelona did not have to release Lionel Messi to compete in the Olympics, though Messi did end up winning gold with Argentina anyway.

In May, Brazil national team coach Dunga, who is also the under-23 Olympic team coach after the firing of Alexandre Gallo, said Neymar’s participation in the Rio Olympics was dependent on talks with Barcelona, according to O Globo.

Neymar may be the 2016 Olympic host nation’s most famous potential Olympian, but there is at least some question of whether he will suit up at the Rio Games.

Copa America Centenario is slated to take place from June 3-26. Soccer at the 2016 Olympics takes place from Aug. 3-20. Neymar plays for Barcelona in La Liga, whose season usually begins in late August. That would be a busy summer of national team duty, which may not sit well with Barcelona.

Three of the world’s other top players — Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo, Paris Saint-Germain’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Messi — also play internationally for nations that qualified for Rio 2016 (Portugal, Sweden and Argentina).

World Cup winner Germany also qualified for Rio.

Olympic soccer teams are made up of players aged 23 and under. There’s also an option of having three over-age players, which is where Neymar, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic and Messi would come in.

Some nations take greater advantage of the Olympic rule that allows three over-age players more than others. In 2012, Brazil used its exceptions on three exceptional players —Hulk, Marcelo and Thiago Silva — who started for Brazil in the 2014 World Cup.

Brazil, which has won five World Cups, has never won Olympic gold in soccer. It won silver in 1984, 1988 and 2012 and bronze in 1996 and 2008.

Neymar, then 20, was part of the 2012 Olympic team that lost to Mexico in the final.

Also Friday, FIFA confirmed that the Qatar 2022 World Cup would not interfere with the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, as the IOC has said for months.

The 2022 World Cup dates are Nov. 21-Dec. 18, which will coincide with various winter sports seasons.
imagine FIFAuttering such statements. This has always been d bane of Africans. Cos now all d big guns mentioned above will finally be released for their countries(portugal,germany, argentina, brazil...) by dia clubs. While our own players playing in other lowly rated clubs won't make d count. Their clubs'll be giving excuses like d tournament is not on fifa calender n for this reason de won't be available...
I just hope we'll be able to parade our best legs

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2015
safarigirl:
Ighalo was crap in the third division of Spain, only managed to get 12 goals in 3 seasons there.

if Success goes to England, he'll have 20 goals halfway into the season. EPL plays kindergarten football compared to LA Liga. Don't get carried away

Those stats are made up he scored 17 goals his first year at Granada including playoffs and they got promoted.
My question is why all the shade? Ighalo is Nigerian why is everyone looking for a reason not to say the man is achieving something. Who cares what he did before, right now the man is on an unprecedented run and it should be respected.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:47pm On Dec 30, 2015
kentAire:

Na so dem broke reach?
Ask Ronaldo for soft loan or better still
Call

Wizkid

He'll

Show dem

D MONEY!!!. cool

Ronaldo ke
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:16pm On Dec 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 Eagles Start Olympics Camping In February 2016
[/size]

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Nigeria's U-23 national team, the DreamTeam will start their first phase of camping ahead of the football tournament of the 2016 Olympics in February.

Coach of the U-23 Eagles Samson Siasia disclosed this on a Radio Nigeria programme monitored by Completesportsnigeria.com on Tuesday

"We will start the first phase of camping in February, hopefully the clubs will release their players. We know how the Olympics is.

"We realise that clubs will need their players' services but it is also a national service.

"I'm elated by our performance at the U-23 AFCON in Senegal and qualification to the Olympics. We got many text messages from Nigerians who commended us," Siasia revealed.

Nigeria, winners of the football gold at the Atlanta '96 Olympics and silver at Beijing 2008 Olympics , alongside Algeria and South Africa will represent Africa while Senegal will be involved in a play-off to determine their qualification to the Rio Games.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-eagles-start-olympics-camping-february-2016/#d7U2QGoRLBuwxDdl.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
[size=14pt]
Millwall boss hails 'brilliant' Onyedinma
[/size]

Onyedinma

Millwall manager Neil Harris has showered praise on Nigerian youngster Fred Onyedinma, comparing him to two ex-Lions stars after the winger's fantastic individual display in Monday's 4-0 win over Southend United.

The 19-year-old contributed to two goals and scored one himself as The Lions returned to winning ways to get closer to the promotion playoff spot.

"Fred is in the same mould as Paul Ifill and Steven Reid,” remarked Harris.

"He is a wide player who we ask to be exciting. He is not going to give the ball away; we understand that and Fred understands that.

"Fred is brilliant.

"He wants to play every minute of every game and he has got a bright future with us."

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:53pm On Dec 30, 2015
This news item came here late, but I still love it. Why note. Bulbwa at it again. Hahaha!

[b][size=14pt]
Sokari, Junior Ajayi go down at Esperance
[/size]

Junior Ajayi (left) with Sokari (right)

by Samm Audu
Nigeria U23 stars Kingsley Sokari and Junior Ajayi started and finished for CS Sfaxien as they lost 2-1 at Esperance in a Tunisian league clash on Sunday.

Both Sokari and Junior Ajayi were transfer targets for Esperance this year before they eventually signed for Sfaxien.

Nigeria U20 star Bernard Bulbwa was a 70th minute substitute for Esperance. He was lively because at that point CS Sfaxien were playing a man short after one of their players was sent off.

His mazy dribble run from 30 yards split open the Sfaxien defence, but his teammate crashed the final shot across the post for the last kick of the encounter.

It was a scrappy first half between the league contenders with long balls and flying tackles.

Junior Ajayi played from the left of attack and when Chad international Ezequil Ndoussel he led the attack and wa a lot more effective.

Sokari got into the game in the second half when the game was a lot more coordinated. He was fouled in the 80th minute on his way to goal.
http://africanfootball.com/news/596837/Sokari-Junior-Ajayi-go-down-at-Esperance
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:53pm On Dec 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Rio 2016 - Obafemi Begs Siasia for Chance
[/size]
Veteran Super Eagles striker, Obafemi Martins has told Nigeria Under-23 coach Samson Siasia to consider him for one of the three overage players' slot for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

Obafemi, who plays for American club Seattle Sounders returned to the Super Eagles fold after almost three years of absence. With 18 goals from 41 appearances for the Super Eagles, he stated that it was would be fulfilling playing at the Olympics. Siasia is yet to name the three overage players, something he has promised to do after his holiday.

"I love my country and I always want to play for my country any time. If Siasia calls me to represent Nigeria at the Olympic Games in Brazil why not, I am always free to be part of the team.

"Siasia is a fantastic coach leading the dream team to winning ways in Senegal, so its the dream of every player to be part of the Olympics," said Obafemi who has scored 15 goals for Seattle Sounders in their push for the Major Soccer League title.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201512290856.html
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:57pm On Dec 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Official : Dream Team Star Godspower Aniefiok Pens Four And A Half Year Deal
[/size]

Through official channels, Tunisian Ligue 1 side Etoile du Sahel have announced the capture of Nigeria Under 23 international Godspower Aniefiok from Kano Pillars.

The 18 - year - old has put pen to paper on a four - and - a - half - year deal with The Red Devils which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2019 if both parties honour the terms of the agreement.

A product of Akwa United, Aniefiok put himself in the shop window at the Africa U-23 Cup of Nations, helping the Dream Team VI win the competition for the first time.

The midfielder was courted by a couple of clubs in North Africa including Arab Contractors and Smouha after the tournament in Senegal.

Etoile du Sahel pay the wages of former Flying Eagles defender Moses Orkuma for the time being.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17384
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 6:01pm On Dec 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Junior Ajayi On Target Again For CS Sfaxien
[/size]

CS Sfaxien continued to mount a serious challenge for the Tunisian Ligue 1 title following their 3 - 1 win over Club Africain on matchday 13, with Dream Team VI star Junior Ajayi back among the goals for the Juventus of the Arabs.

The Nigeria Under 23 international put CS Sfaxien 2 - 0 up in the 82nd minute to take his tally to five goals from seven matches in the top - flight.

It means the former Shooting Stars frontman has only failed to score in two appearances since he completed his move, against Stade Tunisien and Kairouan.

New acquisition Kingsley Sokari was named in CS Sfaxien’s starting lineup alongside Junior Ajayi.

After 13 rounds, CS Sfaxien occupy the second position in the standings with 31 points, three points behind leaders Etoile du Sahel.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17394
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.