Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,731 members, 7,862,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 03:02 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (704578 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 1:01pm On Jul 24, 2015
terzurum5:

The guy was solid in the defence of the Germans during the FIFA U20 World Cup. HE DID EVERY THING POSSIBLE TO FRUSTRATE OUR STRIKERS. Sunday Oliseh should just invite this guy to the Super Eagles before we loose him to Germany.
seconded

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:09pm On Jul 24, 2015
[size=14pt]
Iheanacho In Action As Madrid Thrash City
[/size]
Nigerian teenager Kelechi Iheanacho played for the final 25 minutes as Manchester City lost 4-1 to Real Madrid in their International Champions Cup clash in Melbourne, Australia on Wednesday.
Iheanacho, who was the best player on the pitch on Tuesday when City defeated Roma on penalties, came on for David Silva in the 65th minute with scores at 3-1.
The Flying Eagles star hardly had a sniff as the Spaniards were dominant and deservedly claimed the ICC Australia Schedule trophy.
Karim Benzema, Cristiano Ronaldo and Pepe scored first-half goals for Real Madrid before Yaya Toure pulled one back from the penalty spot for City.
Denis Cherisev rounded off the win in the 73rd minute for Real.

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=13095

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:20pm On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Sokari: U23 Eagles Will Defeat Congo In Brazaville
[/size]
By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Nigeria will defeat Congo away in the second leg of their CAF U23 Championship qualifier in Brazzaville, midfielder Kingsley Sokari has warned their rivals.
The first leg clash at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt on Sunday ended 2-1 in favour of Nigeria though Samson Siasia’s side lost several scoring chances.
The Flying Eagles star at the 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand tells Comple tesportsnigeria.com why the Congo side will not find it easy against the Dream Team.
“We will win that game. The Congo team were lucky not to have conceded more here.
“I believe we will do it because we play better on away grounds. Everyone knows the importance of that game.
“Personally, I want to play in the Championship and ultimately the Olympics,” the skilful playmaker tells Comple tesportsnigeria.com from the team’s camp.
The Dream Team XI camp came alive on Wednesday with the resumption of preparations for the decisive return leg in Brazzaville.
Sokari is one of the latest players invited by Samson Siasia for the second leg game.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/sokari-u23-eagles-will-defeat-congo-in-brazaville/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:22pm On Jul 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2015 CAF U23 Championship Qualifiers Nigeria U23 Shehu Abdullahi
Shehu says he is up for Congo war
[/size]
Former Kano Pillars ace Shehu Abdullahi has told AfricanFootball.com he is up to the challenge Congo will pose in a CAF U23 Championship qualifier second leg and that he will join the team in camp on Monday.
Nigeria beat Congo 2-1 in Port Harcourt last weekend to set up a very interesting return leg match in Pointe-Noire on August 2.
The Uniao da Madeira of Portugal midfielder is one of five fresh players called up for the match in Congo and he told AfricanFootball.com: "I am very happy for the invitation to the U23 national team. I am so excited about it. I will resume with the team on Monday.
"I know the game we have against Congo is crucial, I am ready for the war in Congo. I will contribute my quota if I am called upon in the match."
Shehu was first called to the U23 team in 2011, when the team were preparing for the CAF U23 Championship in Morocco.
The former Al Qadsia of Kuwait player won bronze with the Super Eagles at CHAN 2014.
By Olusola Alao
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/554338/Shehu-says-he-is-up-for-Congo-war

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho unsure of Manchester City status
[/size]
Nigeria starlet, Kelechi Iheanacho, is still unsure of his status with the Manchester City first team in the 2015/16 season despite his blistering start in the club’s pre-season campaign.
Iheanacho was City’s most impressive performer in the Citizens’ opening day International Champions Cup victory over AS Roma in Melbourne, Australia, supersport.com reports.
The 18-year-old scored a superb goal and also provided an assist for new signing, Raheem Sterling, as the Italians were put to the sword.
Despite his undeniable potential, Iheanacho is still not sure if he will be thrown into the deep end in the new season.
“The manager (Manuel Pellegrini) has promised me nothing.
“He’s just told me to keep working hard every day. So as yet I don’t know what my chance is, but I pray that it will come soon,” supersport.com quoted Iheanacho as saying to Manchester Evening News.
Despite impressing against Roma, the Nigerian youngster featured for just 13 minutes against the most glamorous football club in the world – Real Madrid – in City’s second game of the tournament on Friday.
By the time Iheanacho came off the bench to replace Frenchman, Samir Nasri, Pellegrini men were already down by 1-4, and the scoreline stayed that way till the end.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/iheanacho-unsure-of-manchester-city-status/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:33pm On Jul 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2015 CAF U23 Championship Qualifiers:
No-nonsense Siasia orders back late comer Ndifreke
[/size]
Nigeria U23 team coach Samson Siasia has again showed his tough side after he ordered newly invited Abia Warriors star Ndifreke Effiong to stay out after he failed to meet a Friday deadline set for home-based players to hit camp.
Ndifreke has been in sparkling form for Abia Warriors since his move from hometown club Akwa United.
Siasia’s team are preparing to take on Congo in the return leg of the CAF U23 championship in Pointe-Noire on August 2.
Kingsley Sokari, who missed the first leg because he resumed late with the team, made it this time as he beat the reporting deadline.
Warri Wolves central defender Semiu Liadi also hit the camp in Port Harcourt Friday morning.
Meanwhile, Siasia said he expects overseas-based invitees Umar Aminu and Shehu Abdullahi to be in by Monday as their letters of invitation have been sent to their respective clubs.
Uniao Da Modeira of Portugal midfielder Shehu Abdullahi, who is involved in a pre-season competition with his side in Porto, earlier told AfricanFootball.com he will be in camp on Monday.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/554528/No-nonsense-Siasia-orders-back-late-comer-Ndifreke

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:38pm On Jul 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia won’t fail Congo test – Chukwu
[/size]

Coach of the U-23 team, Samson Siasia
By Allwell Okpi
A former Super Eagles coach Christian Chukwu has expressed confidence in the ability of the Nigeria U-23 team coached by Samson Siasia to beat their Congolese counterparts and progress in the 2016 Rio Olympic qualifiers.
Though they defeated Congo 2-1 after wasting several chances in the first leg of their Olympic qualifying fixture at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt, Siasia and his boys are walking a tightrope as they prepare for the second leg fixture in Pointe Noire on August 2.
The Congolese senior national team beat the Super Eagles under Stephen Keshi 3-2 in Calabar during the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers and that defeat culminated in the failure of the Eagles to qualify for the tournament.
Ahead of the game in Port Harcourt, Congo coach Claude LeRoy had threatened they would eliminate Nigeria just the way they did during the AFCON qualifiers.
And with an away goal advantage, LeRoy’s threat remains valid, as his team only needs to win 1-0 at home to advance at Nigeria’s expense.
In spite of that, Chukwu told our correspondent during the week that he believes Siasia has what it takes to stir the U-23 team out of the tight corner and lead them to beat Congo in Pointe Noire.
“Siasia is in charge, he has seen the first leg. He knows the loose areas and how to tighten them. He will now fortify his attack to make sure that so many chances are not lost in Congo. I believe that if everything goes well, Siasia and the boys will emerge victorious in Congo,” Chukwu said.
“I believe Congo will come out to attack and our team will have enough space to counter-attack them. And if we get the first goal, the match will be wrapped up. Siasia has his plans. He is an experienced coach.
“Siasia has played such international matches and has been in a tighter corner than this. He will know what to do to make sure that we qualify for the Olympics.I believe Siasia will not fail the Congo test.”
Chukwu, who was the first captain of the national team to lift the Africa Cup of Nations trophy, which they won in 1980, dismissed LeRoy’s threat, saying the Congo coach was only trying to boost the morale of his boys.
He advised Siasia to infuse confidence in his boys ahead of the game and added that with the boys’ abilities and valuable inputs from the coaching crew, Nigeria will emerge victorious.
“At the end of the day, it is the 22 players in the pitch and the technical inputs from their coaches that will determine who qualifies or not. If we had utilised half of the chances we created in Port Harcourt, we would have been singing another tune now.
“I believe that our team played better; our team looked stronger. If we go with the same spirit, we will succeed. Though it’s not easy to predict football, but based on what I saw in the first leg, I think our boys will beat them.”
Chukwu, who guided Nigeria to a third place finish in the 2004 AFCON, also warned that there are no more minor countries in football and he said every game should be faced seriously.
The Super Falcons, who were held to a 1-1 draw in Abuja by Equatorial Guinea, are also at risk of not qualifying for the Olympics.
They will have to go for an outright win in Bata, Equatorial Guinea on August 2 to keep their hope of qualifying for Rio alive.
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/siasia-wont-fail-congo-test-chukwu/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:41pm On Jul 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
African U-23 qualifier: Beware of Pointe Noire battle, Sofoluwe, Ladipo warn Siasia
[/size]
By: IFEANYI EDUZOR
As Nigeria U-23 team prepares for its third round second leg clash of the African U-23 Championship qualifier slated for next week in Congo Brazzaville, ex-international, Yisa Sofoluwe and President of the Nigeria Football Supporters Club, Dr. Rafiu Ladipo, has advised Coach Samson Siasia to beef up the team ahead of the encounter.
Last Sunday at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt, Nigeria struggled to a 2-1 win over Congo to leave qualification for the final round in Pointe Noire wide open.
Winner of the reverse fixture will battle for one of the eight slots at the 2nd African U-23 Championship taking place in Senegal from November 28 – December 11, 2015.
The top three teams at that competition will qualify for the men’s football tournament of next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil while the fourthplaced team will participate in a play-off against an Asian side.
In an interview with Saturday Mirror, Sofoluwe noted that though Nigeria won the encounter, but the fact that the Red Devils managed to score a goal in Port Harcourt is an indication that Coach Siasia led team has a lot of work to do in the return leg.
“My advice to Siasia ahead of the crucial return leg in Brazzaville is that he should correct all the loopholes discovered in the first leg and ensure they did not allow the Congolese score first as that is the only way they can succeed and proceed to the next round of the qualifier.”
According to Sofoluwe who was part of the Super Eagles AFCON team in 1984 and 1988 respectively, Nigeria stands a chance of at least getting a draw against the Congolese led by experienced French tactician, Claude LeRoy, but charged the team to raise their game ahead of the all important cracker.
On the reported optimism expressed by LeRoy that they will stop Nigeria the way they stopped Ghana in the second leg, the former defender noted that the Nigerian team is more tactically disciplined than Ghana and as such does not foresee such happening to the Dream Team.
“I am optimistic that with the new players invited by Siasia to beef up the team ahead of the all important second leg, the Dream Team VI will emulate their Super Eagles counterparts who despite losing 3-2 to Congo in the first leg of the 2015 Nations Cup qualifier in Calabar went ahead to beat them in Brazzaville in the second leg.
“It is true that they stopped Ghana after both nations won 1-0 at home before Congo squeezed through after penalty shootout at Stade Municipal, Pointe Noire, but I believe that such will not be the case of Nigeria because the team is more organised and technically disciplined than their Ghanaian counterparts.
“When you also look at the first leg in Port Harcourt, you will discover that Nigeria dominated in that game but lack of concentration made them concede a goal but I hope it won’t be the same in Congo because the technical crew are working on their deficiency to ensure we go through,” concluded the former Abiola Babes of Abeokuta player.
Also speaking on the encounter, President General of Nigeria Football Supporters Club, Ladipo, stated that the Siasia led team should not only expect a hostile reception in Congo, but a crack squad who in recent times has shown it is not afraid of Nigeria, but advised them not to allow the antics of the Congolese demoralize them.
Ladipo who promised that his members will be on hand in the Central African country to give their maximum support to the team explained that he looks forward to a tough encounter in Pointe Noire because while the Congolese needs only a goal to deny Nigeria progress in the qualifier, Nigeria needs to avoid conceding any goal to scale through.
“I want Nigerians to realize that the game is going to be a tough one because while the host will be looking for a goal to qualify on away goal aggregate, Nigeria will be hoping to either maintain the 2-1 score line recorded in the first leg or defeat the host in their own back yard to qualify for the last round.”
[/b]

nationalmirroronline.net/new/african-u-23-qualifier-beware-of-pointe-noire-battle-sofoluwe-ladipo-warn-siasia/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:18pm On Jul 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Iwobi Scores As Arsenal Thrash Lyon
[/size]
By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Nigerian-born Alex Iwobi scored a spectacular goal in Arsenal’s 6-0 rout of French Ligue 1 side Olympique Lyon in the Emirates Cup on Saturday.
Named in the starting XI for the game, Iwobi who has signified his intention to represent Nigeria at senior international level after playing in the youth teams of England, operated from the Gunners’ left side of attack.
Iwobi grabbed his team’s third goal in the 35th minute of the game when he received a pass from Aaron Ramsey. The Anglo-Nigerian finished with aplomb with his left foot.
Iwobi, who was invited to the Nigerian U-23 side in 2014, had a goal disallowed some minutes later as Per Mertesacker was caught in an offside position.
Iwobi was substituted in the 62nd minute of the game by fellow Nigerian-born Chuba Akpom.
Akpom was fouled at the edge of the box in the 85th minute and playmaker Santi Cazorla delivered a clever left-footed freekick under the Lyon wall to make it 6-0.
Both Anglo-born youngsters could feature in the plans of new Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh who is in Europe to monitor the progress of Nigerian players ahead of Nigeria’s 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier against the Taifa Stars of Tanzania in the first weekend of September 2015.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/iwobi-scores-as-arsenal-thrash-lyon/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:26pm On Jul 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria K. Iheanacho.
Oliseh considers Flying Eagles Musa, Iheanacho
[/size]
Musa Mohammed - Looks set to soon make his Eagles debut under new coach Oliseh
by Samm Audu
New Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh is seriously considering capping Flying Eagles stars Musa Mohammed and Kelechi Iheanacho in an AFCON qualifier in Tanzania in September.
A top team official informed AfricanFootball.com that Oliseh is rebuilding with the future in mind and as such he wants to start working immediately with Musa, Iheanacho as well as Moses Simon, who has already been capped by the Eagles.
“The top three Flying Eagles stars under consideration by the Eagles coach are Musa at rightback as well as Iheanacho and Moses Simon in attack,” the team official revealed.
“Oliseh already is very much abreast of the exploits with Moses Simon at Gent as he followed him last season.
“He has also followed Musa and Iheanacho when he was on the FIFA study group for the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup, which Nigeria won in style in Abu Dhabi.”
Incidentally, Musa and Iheanacho were in Tanzania last year for a 2015 AYC qualifier, which they won home and away.
Iheanacho, 18, has continued in pres-season where he left off with Manchester City in the last close season with some sparkling displays for the top English Premier League outfit.
Musa has already settled down at his new Turkish club and looks set to enjoy first-team football sooner rather than later, while Moses Simon is a fixture at Gent, who recently won the Belgium Super Cup to add to their historic league title from last season.
Oliseh will name his foreign pros for the Tanzania match next month and they are expected to fly directly to the East African nation for the AFCON clash fixed for the weekend of September 4-6.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/554571/Oliseh-considers-Flying-Eagles-Musa-Iheanacho

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:48am On Jul 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Wenger: Iwobi Will Stay With Arsenal Senior Squad
[/size]
By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has all but rubber-stamped the future of youngster Alex Iwobi at the club.
Iwobi scored a goal in the club’s 6-0 whitewash of French side Olympique Lyon in Emirates Cup game on Saturday and had another disallowed for an offside.
Wenger is satisfied with Iwobi’s performances in the pre-season games thus far and declared that Iwobi, who is poised to play for the Super Eagles after representing England at youth levels, will be at the club next season.
“At the moment some players might go out on loan. At the moment Alex Iwobi will be staying with us but for the others we have to decide do they need the experience to play somewhere on a regular basis, to finish their education,” Wenger told the Arsenal website.
“It is always difficult to decide because they go out and they don’t play, they waste that time because here they practice with top-level players. So that’s always very sensitive.
“One of the advantages of pre-season games like that is that it’s competitive and it’s a good opportunity to see some promising talents. We saw Alex Iwobi, Jeff Reine-Adelaide, Chuba Akpom and because they practice with us it makes it easier for them to integrate into the team.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=13115

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:50am On Jul 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
Okocha Salutes Wenger Over Akpom, Iwobi
[/size]
By James Agberebi:
Former Super Eagles skipper, Austin Okocha, has praised Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger on his positive impact on younsters, Alex Iwobi – his nephew, and Chuba Akpom, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.
Both players were in action for the Gunners in their 6-0 victory against Olympique Lyon at the Emirates Cup on Saturday, with Iwobi getting on the score sheet.
Commenting on their performance, Okocha wrote on his Twitter page: “My nephew Alex Iwobi marked his Emirate’s debut with a goal. Great stuff Alex. Wenger is really doing a great job with the young star.
“Chuba Akpom whose dad is a good friend of mine is also on the right course. A hat-trick in their Asian trip says a lot about what to come.”
Meanwhile, Arsenal will take on Wolfsburg on Sunday in their next game at the Emirates Cup with Akpom and Iwobi expected to feature.

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=13114

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 9:20am On Jul 27, 2015
Joseph1013 I know you are the one. Any time the likes of you come on this thread I always know. What do I have to say again. This is one of the best avenue you guys have created for us to express our support for these guys and I also know that most of them should be aware and following us right away.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 12:07pm On Jul 27, 2015
Siasia is someone who I know does not shy away from responsibilities. He's been there before and I know he can raise up to the occasion. I see us qualifying ahead of Congo by the slimmest of margins.

Great job, bro. I'm always following.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:43pm On Jul 27, 2015
joseph1013:
Siasia is someone who I know does not shy away from responsibilities. He's been there before and I know he can raise up to the occasion. I see us qualifying ahead of Congo by the slimmest of margins.

Great job, bro. I'm always following.
Yes in Siasia we trust. He has done it before and he is going to do it again. We are solidly behind him.
Ride on SiaOne.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Rio 2016 qualifiers: Ikpeba backs Siasia to outsmart Le’Roy
[/size]
By Ben Efe
Former Super Eagles striker, Victor Ikpeba said Nigeria’s Under-23 squad will overcome their poor display in front of the goalpost and come out tops in the second leg qualifier for the Africa Under-23 tournament against Congo this weekend in Point Noire.
The team wasted numerous scoring chances and in the end managed a 2-1 win over Congo in the first leg encounter decided at the Adokie Amiesimaka Stadium in Port
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/africas-star-victor-ikpeba-backs-qatar-2022-world-cup/victor-ikepba/[/img]
Victor Ikepba
Harcourt. Ikepba, a member of the Nigeria Football Federation study group, stated that the team coached by Samson Siasia was the best ever to be assembled in recent times and they will beat their opponents at home.
“Coach Samson Siasia has done a great job with the team. He will overcome whatever strategy employed by Claude Le’ Roy in Congo. We have a good team and we should not lose hope.
“In their first game they created about eight chances, but the goals did not come. Congo got one chance and they scored. But the team is stable, those lapses have been worked on,” said Ikpeba.
He added that the team has been training on a plastic pitch to get used to the conditions expected in the second leg.
“The pitch in Point Noire is rough but the boys have been training on astro turf. The crowd and the setting will be different, However, the good thing is that we have a good team. From what I have seen of them in training, they will not fail in Congo.”
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/rio-2016-qualifiers-ikpeba-backs-siasia-to-outsmart-leroy/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:47pm On Jul 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Sokari To Join Esperance After Congo Clash
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:
Kingsley Sokari has told comple tesportsnigeria.com that he will finally link up with Esperance after the Nigeria versus Congo African U-23 Championship qualifier next weekend.
The midfielder recently joined the Tunisian outfit from six-time Nigerian Champions, Enyimba Football Club of Aba, where he has spent the last two seasons.
Sokari is among the five new players called up by U-23 Eagles coach Samson Siasia for the crucial return leg fixture against the Congolese in Pointe Noire.
He revealed to comple tesportsnigeria.com that he has delayed his departure to the North African country due to his engagement with the dream team.
“I’m joining Esperance immediately after the Congo game,” the 20-year-old divulged to comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“Though there are still some little details to be finalized, everything will be sorted out hopefully by next week.”
The midfielder will join another Nigerian, Emem Uduok, at the club.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/sokari-to-join-esperance-after-congo-clash/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:50pm On Jul 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Iwobi delighted after scoring first goal for Arsenal
[/size]
The Gunners’ youngster reveals he was in shock after scoring his first senior goal for Arsene Wenger’s side in their defeat of Lyon
By Shina Oludare

Arsenal rookie Alex Iwobi has spoken of his delight at scoring on his first senior team goal against Lyon on Saturday. The Gunners spanked the French topflight side 6-0 in the Emirates Cup.
The Nigerian added his side’s third, completing a well-worked team goal, before the impressive Aaron Ramsey latched on to an Ozil pass to finish from close range.
He said he was surprised to have found the back of the net againstLes Gonesand was shocked that he did not know how to celebrate.
“When Aaron passed me the ball I couldn't believe it. I just swung my left foot at it and fortunately it went in and I was like 'oh my gosh.’” Iwobi told ArsenalPlayer.
“I couldn't believe it, I was in shock. I didn't know what to do or how to celebrate but I enjoyed it! I have dreamt about it so many times but I never thought it could feel as good as this.
“My family, my friends, my close friends even my uncle was here today so I was glad to get a goal for them,” he concluded.
Iwobi would be hoping to fight for a place in the star-studded Wenger’s team as the English top flight season kicks off in August.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/13910832

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:53pm On Jul 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2015 CAF U23 Championship Qualifiers Nigeria U23 Shehu Abdullahi
Injured Shehu out of Dream Team Congo war
[/size]

Shehu Abdullahi - Injured and out of Nigeria U23 CAF Championship crunch clash in Congo
Shehu Abdullahi has been ruled out of Nigeria’s all-important CAF U23 Championship second leg qualifier against Congo on account of injury, AfricanFootball.com can report.
Shehu says he is ready for Congo war
The defensive midfielder or right fullback was to have joined the Dream Team VI training camp in Port Harcourt on Monday.
The Uniao da Maderia of Portugal midfielder told AfricanFootball.com he suffered the injury while in action for his Portuguese club in a pre-season game in Porto on Sunday night.
"I am out of the U23 game because I am injured. I suffered a hamstring injury today (Sunday) while in action for my team in the final game of the pre-season, which we lost 2-1 to Boavista," Shehu told AfricanFootball.com
"I am disappointed with the injury because my mind was on the game, I have no choice but to pull out.
“I will communicate to the coach and another official of the U23 team to tell them of the situation."
He was substituted in the 82nd minute of the game due to the injury.
By Olusola Alao
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/554867/Injured-Shehu-out-of-Dream-Team-Congo-war
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Congo call 6 missing pros for Nigeria do-or-die clash
[/size]

Hardy Binguila of Auxerre is already a top full international and will be available for Sunday's clash after he missed the first game in Nigeria
by Stephane DeSaintsalvy
Congo will now have six foreign-based professionals who were previously not released by their clubs for Sunday’s crunch CAF U23 Championship qualifier against Nigeria in Pointe Noire.
Congo lost the first leg in Port Harcourt 2-1 two weeks ago without these players, but they will now be available for the return leg, which they only need to win 1-0 to advance to the tournament proper, which will serve as qualifier for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
They are midfielders Philzgérarld Mbaka, Hardy Binguila, Charlevy Mabiala, Yohan Andzouana and Julsy Boukama Kaya and striker Syvère Ganvoula Mboussy.
Attacking midfielder from French club AJ Auxerre Binguila is already an established full international for his country.
Congo moved into a training camp in Pointe Noire on Monday.
The game is scheduled for Pointe Noire at 16h30 CAT on Sunday.
The full squad:
Goalkeepers:Christoffer Mafoumbi (without club), Pavelh Ndzila (Etoile du Congo)
Defenders: Varel Rozan (Kenitra/ Morocco), Carof Bakoua (AC Léopards de Dolisie), Sagesse Babélé (AC Léopards de Dolisie), Thomaso Romaric Etou (Beïtar/ Israel), Cosme Andrely Antoni Mavoungou (Diables Noirs)
Midfielders:Desmond Bouétoutélamio (Nico-Nicoyé), Moïse Justalain Nkounkou (Etoile du Congo), Philzgérarld Mbaka (Getafe/ Spain), Ravy Tsouka Dozi (Crotone/ Italy), Merveil Ndockyt (Cara), Durel Avounou (CESD/ Caen/ France), Siang Noël Moukouka (AS Cheminots), Charlevy Mabiala (AJ Auxerre/ France), Hardy Binguila (AJ Auxerre/ France), Yohan Andzouana (AS Monaco/ France), Julsy Boukama Kaya (Recreativo Libolo/ Angola)
Forwards: Junior Makiessé Mouzita (AC Léopards de Dolisie), Sylvère Ganvoula Mboussy ( Elazigspor/Turkey), Bersyl Obassi Ngatsongo (Etoile du Congo), Mavis Tchibota Dufounou (ex player of Maccabi Tel Aviv/Israel) , Kevin Xavier Brandon Koubemba (Brest/ France) and Bermajin Kangou (JST)
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/554919/Congo-call-6-missing-pros-for-Nigeria-do-or-die-clash
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Q & A with Taiwo Awoniyi
[/size]

By: Sammy Wejinya
Taiwo Awoniyi has been severally described as “the future of Nigerian football”.
Blessed with a fearsome right foot, the striker rose to prominence in 2013 when he, alongside extravagant precocious talent like Success Isaac, Musa Yahaya and Kelechi Iheanacho helped Nigeria claim the title at the Fifa U17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.
He was promoted to Nigeria’s U20s and played his part as the Flying Eagles again won the title at the Africa U20 Championship in Senegal.
Awoniyi is now an integral member of the Nigeria U23 side that recently booked a ticket for the men’s football event of the All Africa Games in Congo.
The Dream Team VI is also in the running for a qualification ticket for the Olympics in 2016 and Awoniyi is one of the players at the tip of the spear.
He sat down recently for the robust chat with supersport.com.
Supersport.com: You were part of that powerful Nigeria side that crashed out at the round of 16 stage of the 2015 U20 World Cup in New Zealand.
Many Nigerians expected the Flying Eagles to win the title but it went awry. Why?
Taiwo Awoniyi: You know I still ask myself that question time and again and I still can’t find the answer.
When we played against Germany, all of us (players) were not at our best and against such a good team, we were never going to win not playing at our best.
However, in all things, we must give thanks to God.
Supersport.com; You belong to a rare breed of Nigerian footballers who took the time to develop their academic prowess.
Taiwo Awoniyi: Yes and I must thank my parents for that.
Everyone of my siblings has a University degree. The only person yet to do that is my twin sister and she’s currently studying for a degree.
She is currently at the Polytechnic in Kwara State.
I do not have a University degree yet because my career takes practically all my time but I am certain that in the coming years, I will achieve the dream of picking up a University degree.
Supersport.com: Many Nigerians were surrised you did not start for the Dream Team against Congo in last Sunday’s Olympic qualifier.
Did the coach (Samson Siasia) tell you beforehand you were not going to start?
Taiwo Awoniyi: The truth is I did not feel bad I did not start. I was more concerned with the team winning on the day.
Junior Ajayi who started in my place did well and scored two goals on the day so the decision of the coach was justified in the end.
Supersport.com: The Congolese scored an away goal in Port Harcourt. Will that be the crucial factor in the tie?
Taiwo Awoniyi: I don’t think the 2-1 win we recorded in the first leg is a bad result.
I am sure that by the grace of God, we will win in Congo in the second leg in Pointe Noire on August 2.
Supersport.com: Now let’s discuss the more unconventional things about you. Tell us about your favourite food?
Taiwo Awoniyi: I was taught by my parents to eat whatever I see. I am not the choosy type.
However, I will not mind beans and garri (local delicacy made from processed cassava).
Supersport.com: Favourite coulor?
Taiwo Awoniyi: Yellow and White.
Supersport.com: Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo?
Taiwo Awoniyi: (Luaghs) Wow. This one is impossible. I will choose Messi if I must make a choice though they are both great footballers that I learn from everyday.
Supersport.com: Favourite car?
Taiwo Awoniyi: None yet because I do not own a car yet.
Supersport.com; Best goal you ever scored?
Taiwo Awoniyi: That was the goal I scored for the Golden Eaglets against Uruguay at the U17 World Cup in 2013.
(Iheanacho) Kelechi’s pass was brilliant and I sneaked in between two defenders and without breaking my stride, I bit the ball and it went in.
Supersport.com: Most difficult defender you have ever faced?
Taiwo Awoniyi: I can’t recall his name but it was a Ghanaian defender at the 2015 Africa U20 Championships.
He was so tough and hard as nails.
Supersport.com; Best coach you have ever worked with.
Taiwo Awoniyi: All the coaches I have worked with have been great with me.
From coaches Stephen Keshi, Emeka Amadi, Emmanuel Amueneke, Manu Garba, Samson Siasia….all the coaches I worked with have been amazing.
Supersport.com; What is the first thing you do every morning?
Taiwo Awoniyi: I pray. It is a habit…a tradition for me.
Supersport.com; What would you do if you found a million dollars in your account?
Taiwo Awoniyi: Only God knows what tomorrow holds. I will rather wait till I have that amount of money before talking about what to do with it.
Supersport.com; If you were to date one Woman in the world today, who would that be?Taiwo Awoniyi: (Laughs) I don’t have a crush on any woman right now (laughs again).
[/b]

Read more.........
mobi.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/150727/Q_A_with_Taiwo_Awoniyi

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:11pm On Jul 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Enaholo joins Enyimba
[/size]

Joshua Enaholo
By: Ojeikere Aikhoje
Six-time Nigerian champions, Enyimba have signed Nigerian under-20 international, Joshua Enaholo, from lower division side, MFM.
Enaholo, who was in goal for Nigeria during the 2015 African Youth Championship (AYC) and the Fifa Under-20 World Cup, has been cleared by his club to make the move to the Aba Elephants.
Supersport.com learnt that Enaholo is already in Aba and will undergo medicals on Monday to compete his transfer to the former African champions.
Enyimba’s scouting team identified Enaholo as a transfer target after losing to the Flying Eagles during the Super Six Invitational, in Abuja.
Interestingly, Enaholo was brilliant in goal as the Flying Eagles defeated Enyimba 2-0 and eventually emerged champions after the completion of the six-team tournament.
National team duties with the Under-20 team ensured Enaholo was out of league duty for MFM during the first round of the Nigeria National League (NNL).
Enaholo’s arrival has increased the number of goalkeepers at Enyimba and will equally boost competition in goal as club gaffer, Kadiri Ikhana, seeks for an unprecedented seventh title.
[/b]

mobi.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/150727/Enaholo_joins_Enyimba

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:44pm On Jul 27, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Congo call 6 missing pros for Nigeria do-or-die clash
[/size]
by Stephane DeSaintsalvy
Congo will now have six foreign-based professionals who were previously not released by their clubs for Sunday’s crunch CAF U23 Championship qualifier against Nigeria in Pointe Noire.
Congo lost the first leg in Port Harcourt 2-1 two weeks ago without these players, but they will now be available for the return leg, which they only need to win 1-0 to advance to the tournament proper, which will serve as qualifier for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
They are midfielders Philzgérarld Mbaka, Hardy Binguila, Charlevy Mabiala, Yohan Andzouana and Julsy Boukama Kaya and striker Syvère Ganvoula Mboussy.
Attacking midfielder from French club AJ Auxerre Binguila is already an established full international for his country.
Congo moved into a training camp in Pointe Noire on Monday.
The game is scheduled for Pointe Noire at 16h30 CAT on Sunday.
The full squad:
Goalkeepers:Christoffer Mafoumbi (without club), Pavelh Ndzila (Etoile du Congo)
Defenders: Varel Rozan (Kenitra/ Morocco), Carof Bakoua (AC Léopards de Dolisie), Sagesse Babélé (AC Léopards de Dolisie), Thomaso Romaric Etou (Beïtar/ Israel), Cosme Andrely Antoni Mavoungou (Diables Noirs)
Midfielders:Desmond Bouétoutélamio (Nico-Nicoyé), Moïse Justalain Nkounkou (Etoile du Congo), Philzgérarld Mbaka (Getafe/ Spain), Ravy Tsouka Dozi (Crotone/ Italy), Merveil Ndockyt (Cara), Durel Avounou (CESD/ Caen/ France), Siang Noël Moukouka (AS Cheminots), Charlevy Mabiala (AJ Auxerre/ France), Hardy Binguila (AJ Auxerre/ France), Yohan Andzouana (AS Monaco/ France), Julsy Boukama Kaya (Recreativo Libolo/ Angola)
Forwards: Junior Makiessé Mouzita (AC Léopards de Dolisie), Sylvère Ganvoula Mboussy ( Elazigspor/Turkey), Bersyl Obassi Ngatsongo (Etoile du Congo), Mavis Tchibota Dufounou (ex player of Maccabi Tel Aviv/Israel) , Kevin Xavier Brandon Koubemba (Brest/ France) and Bermajin Kangou (JST)
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/554919/Congo-call-6-missing-pros-for-Nigeria-do-or-die-clash

Hmmm. Ok o. I hope Nigeria come out of this victorious. I still dnt understand y Siasia refuséd to call up some of our well established players hu are U23.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:13pm On Jul 27, 2015
Icon4s:

Hmmm. Ok o. I hope Nigeria come out of this victorious. I still dnt understand y Siasia refuséd to call up some of well established players hu are U23.
I don't see any thing too special with this Congo team that came and played in Port Harcourt.
Don't forget that was how I also became afraid by their so called foreign based pros. At the end of the day our team made up of mostly home based carried the day. All I see about this Claudy LeRoy of a Coach is more of trying to instil fear in his opponents so that he may have his way. Am no longer scared of this his foreign pros. Our boys are equal to the task.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:37pm On Jul 27, 2015
terzurum5:

I don't see any thing too special with this Congo team that came and played in Port Harcourt.
Don't forget that was how I also became afraid by their so called foreign based pros. At the end of the day our team made up of mostly home based carried the day. All I see about this Claudy LeRoy of a Coach is more of trying to instil fear in his opponents so that he may have his way. Am no longer scared of this his foreign pros. Our boys are equal to the task.

Fantastic response to my concern u have here bt I still feel that we should always strive to use our best legs in crucial matches.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:51pm On Jul 27, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
U-23 Eagles Depart Thursday For Congo
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
The Nigeria U-23 side will depart for Pointe-Noire, Congo on Thursday for the second leg of the Africa U-23 Championship qualifier against Congo, comple tesportsnigeria.com has reliably gathered.
The Samson Siasia-led side defeated Claude Leroy’s side 2-1 in the first leg of the tie thanks to a second half brace from Shooting Stars forward Junior Ajayi.
The 36 Lions loanee scored two quick goals in the 47th and 51st minutes to put the Dream Team 2-0 up before Moise Kounkou pulled one back for the visitors.
Meanwhile, comple tesportsnigeria.com has been reliably informed that the duo of Osmanlispor forward Umar Aminu and Abdullahi Shehu from Uniao da Madeira are expected in camp Tuesday night for the game while Kingsley Sokari has joined up for the game.
The winner between Nigeria and Congo will qualify for the Africa U-23 Championship in Senegal which will serve as the final qualifiers for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/u-23-eagles-depart-thursday-for-congo/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:57pm On Jul 27, 2015
Icon4s:

Fantastic response to my concern u have here bt I still feel that we should always strive to use our best legs in crucial matches.
I share the same concern but from all indications Siasia seems to belief in these guys so I have to do same.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:55am On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Six spots in CAF U-23 Champs up for grabs
[/size]

Egypt at the 2012 Olympics in London
The qualifiers for the CAF U-23 Championship finals will be completed this weekend with six third round, second leg matches across the continent.
The CAF U-23 tournament – which will be held in Senegal from 28 November to 12 December – serves as the qualifiers for the 2016 Olympics: the top three teams will progress to the Summer Games in Brazil next year.
South Africa’s U-23s, led by coach Owen Da Gama, will be confident of securing a place in Senegal as they host Zimbabwe for the return leg of their qualifier after drawing 1-1 in Harare earlier this month.
Da Gama has called up a strong squad for the match, including Danish-based Lebogang Phiri, PSL stars Abbubaker Mobara, Keagan Dolly (who scored SA’s goal in the first leg), Kwanda Mngonyama and Black Leopards’ sought-after striker Siphelele Ntshangase.
Elsewhere, Nigeria’s ‘Dream Team’ face a torrid away match against Claude Le Roy’s Congo, who will fancy their chances of overturning a 2-1 deficit in their own back yard, while the same could be said for Morocco, who take a 1-0 lead away to North African rivals Tunisia.
Mali will host Gabon and have a 1-0 lead from the away match already in their pocket, while Egypt need only avoid a catastrophe when they take a 4-0 lead away to Uganda. Zambia will host Ivory Coast with the teams locked at 0-0 after the first leg.
The six aggregate winners will join Senegal (who have already qualified as hosts) as well as Algeria (who completed a 2-0 aggregate win over Sierra Leone this past weekend) in the eight-team field for the CAF U-23 Championships.
This weekend’s CAF U-23 Championship qualifiers:
Third round, second leg – first leg scores in parenthesis
Congo v Nigeria (1-2)
Mali v Gabon (1-0)
Zambia v Ivory Coast (0-0)
Uganda v Egypt (0-4)
South Africa v Zimbabwe (1-1)
Tunisia v Morocco (0-1)
Already qualified:
Senegal (hosts)
Algeria (beat Sierra Leone 2-0 on aggregate)
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/555136/Six-spots-in-CAF-U-23-Champs-up-for-grabs
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:58am On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Portuguese club clear Shehu for Congo war
[/size]

Shehu (left) declared fit for crunch clash in Congo
Uniao da Madeira midfielder Abdullahi Shehu will now join Nigeria’s training camp for a crunch CAF U23 Championship qualifier in Congo after he was certified fit by the doctor of his Portuguese club.
Shehu, a defensive midfielder or rightback, had initially ruled himself out of the game in Pointe Noire.
But the former Kano Pillars ace, who suffered what looked like a hamstring injury while playing for his team in a pre-season game against Boavista on Sunday, has now told AfricanFootball.com he will hit camp on Tuesday after he was cleared by his club.
"I am happy to inform you that I have been certified fit for the U23 game against Congo by my team doctor,” Shehu informed AfricanFootball.com
“I communicated to coach Siasia initially of the injury, but after my club doctor observed me, he told me I am fit and I have told coach Siasia of the latest development that I will be in camp Tuesday)."
"I am excited and I feel so happy that I am fit to play the game. I am ready for the game."
Nigeria won the first leg in Port Harcourt 2-1 and need a result in Congo on Sunday to advance to the tournament proper in Senegal in November..
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/555127/Portuguese-club-clear-Shehu-for-Congo-war

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.