Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,600 members, 7,823,609 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (699404 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:34am On Dec 11, 2014
Daninya1:
What about Sammy ameobi, the guy that plays for newscastle??. Why has he not been called up by coach samson siasia?
This U23 is for players born on or after 1st January 1992. Sammy is older.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 6:39am On Dec 11, 2014
Icon4s:

This U23 is for players born on or after 1st January 1992. Sammy is older.
So why has keshi not invited him?
Beside in the Olympics, you can use 3 over age players. . The guy is good enough even for super Eagle
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:16am On Dec 11, 2014
Daninya1:

So why has keshi not invited him?
Beside in the Olympics, you can use 3 over age players. . The guy is good enough even for super Eagle

Sammy has played for the English U-21. And I doubt it is a great idea to use Sammy has one of the three overage players when we have many who can do a better job in the Senior team.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:33pm On Dec 11, 2014
[size=14pt]FC Midtjylland Striker Paul Onuachu Excited For Olympic National Team Call - Up[/size]

FC Midtjylland striker Paul Onuachu has expressed his joy at his invitation to the Olympic National Team training camp by coach Samson Siasia.

The lanky forward was included in the roster alongside teammate Ashiru Musefiu and HB Køge’s Samuel Owolabi.

“I am very happy, it’s a good thing for me. I go home on vacation now and finish with the training camp.

“Nigeria has lots of good, young players, so I’ll just do my best and bet on, it’s good enough.

“I only know my teammates by name, but I know the competition in the attack is very tough. Hopefully it will help to make me even better,” said Paul Onuachu to bold.dk.

The 20 - year - old has 10 games under his belt in the Danish Superliga so far this season.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:46pm On Dec 11, 2014
[b]
[size=14pt]Siasia excited by rivalry between pros and local boys[/size]

Nigeria U23 team coach Samson Siasia has said he is excited by the keen competition between the foreign-based pros and their home-based counterparts.

"This is exciting. I love what I am seeing as both the foreign and home-based players are engaged in keen rivalry to make the team,” said Siasia.

“I'm over-joyed that those we picked from the home-front have not been intimidated by the presence of their foreign brothers. This to me is a very welcome and healthy development for my technical crew as we will at the end of the day get a team that the nation will be proud of.''

He added: "Some persons have questioned our decision to organize this screening exercise for both the home and foreign-based players. But from what we have on ground, I feel justified in the decision we took in going through this route to get a team for this country.

“I beg Nigerians to believe in us and support this team. Our intention is to have a bunch of players who will be available for the nation for another 10-15 years baring injuries."

The former Super Eagles coach said that more players would join the camp from December 14 while those who are involved in club duties would join in January.

In the meantime, more foreign-based players have joined the Nigeria U23 training squad.

A release by the media officer of the team, Timi Ebikagboro, disclosed that the latest arrivals are Nansil Selbol of Sporting Kansas, Fred Friday of LSK Norway, Amuzie Stanley of Sassuolo Calsio, Italy, Oladele Oshobe of Lokomotive Plovdiv, Bulgaria, and Atanda Sodiq of FK Apolonia FC, Albania.

Also, the friendly games planned for the team this weekend in Bauchi that would have seen the Dream Team VI tackle Wikki Tourists and an unnamed club have been shifted till next week (Tuesday). [/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:49pm On Dec 11, 2014
[b][size=14pt]NFF: Foreign Clubs Not Obliged To Release Players For U23s[/size]

The Dream Team VI may have to make do with the home based players and the handful of overseas based players that have arrived the team’s camp so far ahead of the qualifiers for the 2015 All Africa Games against Gabon next February, as majority of the 47 invited overseas based players may not make the camp due to club commitments.

Confirming this to SL10.ng is General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation, Musa Amadu who says that the foreign clubs are under no obligation to release the players since the camping exercise doesn’t fall under any of the FIFA free windows.

“When we are talking about the invitations of overseas based players to camps, these clubs are not obliged to release these players. It has to fall within the FIFA window and we need to make this clarification absolutely clear that clubs abroad are not obliged to release players for camping and trainings or for matches that are not within the FIFA calendar,” he told SL10.ng.

This will come as a huge blow to coach Samson Siasia, as he continues to prepare for the All Africa Games qualifiers, with only a handful of the invited overseas based players already in camp.[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:07pm On Dec 12, 2014
[b]
[size=14pt]Wolves' Iorfa Ruled Out Of U23 Screening[/size]

‎Samson Siasia's plans to assembly a formidable Under-23 team for Nigeria has suffered another setback with the father of Wolverhampton Wanderers defender Dominic Iorfa senior ruling his son out.

The Young Dominic Iorfa, who made his debut last week for Wolves ‎in a 2-1 loss to AFC Bournemouth, is among the list of 47 players presently expected in camp for the Nigeria under-23.

However his Dad is adamant he won't honour the call, as his commitment with his club won't let him do so, aside he needs more time to mature.

"I wouldn't want anybody to misunderstand me. The truth is that my son is not ripe for U-23. He is just 19 years, so he needs more time to mature to that level," he said in Makurdi.

"Moreover, the timing is not good for the young man. He is just getting into the line up of Wolves and there are so many matches for him to play between now and January.

"There is no time for him to come and screen for weeks in Nigeria. In fact no player who is playing for his club will have such time to spare."

The Lobi Stars supremo however insists his son will play for Nigeria in the future despite representing England at Youth level but preferably for the Super Eagles.

"In fact, it will be better for him to come and play for the Super Eagles without screening. Then he must have reached the mental and physical requirements." he added.

If Iorfa fails to attend the camp, Siasia, who is currently struggling to assemble players for the camp, might be forced into a change of strategy as it will be a case of one too many withdrawals.[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:14pm On Dec 12, 2014
[b]
[size=14pt]Yobo charges Nigeria Olympic team[/size]

Joseph Yobo has called on Nigeria U23 team to see themselves as the next set of the Super Eagles if only they will listen to their coaches and be disciplined and dedicated.

The former Nigeria skipper Yobo made this charge when he came to watch the team train at the FIFA Goal Project in Abuja on Thursday.

"I am like one of you guys, it was nice coming to watch you play, though this is a training, the coach is like a brother, good friend, when he saw me and he asked me to come I just can't say no. I started just like you, if not even lower, though this is the under 23," he said.

"I just want to encourage you, I am happy with what am seeing, there is still room for improvement, just believe in yourself, believe in your coach, believe in your team mate, it's not a do or die affair, it has to be team work, even if I know there is competition among you, you have to keep it friendly, but most importantly you have to believe in God."

Yobo, who is the first Nigerian player to hit the 100 international caps, then told the players that without God the team cannot go anywhere, for according to him it's God that makes everything possible.

"You have great talent, I have seen most of you know, I believe in this team especially in your coach, you guys are privileged honestly, I mean what I am saying because I have played under him, this team is privileged to have one of the best African coaches taking care of this team,” he said.

“So, you have to listen to him, you have to take your problems to him, listen to him because can take this team places, he can take you as an individual to achieve your dream, you have to work very hard, if you work hard and you don't listen to him, it doesn't tally.

“You have to be disciplined, discipline is paramount there is no success without discipline, so you have to work really hard, but now is about hard work, show the coach what you bring to the team, not as an individual, but your collective performance that's what makes you stand out as a player, I have been there and I think I have almost done it all.”

He further said: "Everyone here is very privileged, this is the national team, you have the opportunity to now after this stage go and represent Nigeria in the Super Eagles, which is the pinnacle of Nigerian football, so you are almost there, but your hard work and your performance will take you to become a Super Eagles player.

“But right now concentrate on what you came here for to play for the U23s, to make sure that Nigeria qualify‎, that is the reason why you are here, concentrate on making yourselves part of the team." [/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:48am On Dec 15, 2014
[b][size=14pt]U23 team: First phase of camping ends[/size]

Samson Siasia, has concluded the screening for the first batch of foreign-based footballers ahead of the qualifiers for the 2015 All African Games.

Siasia started the screening with the home-based players, who later gave way to the first batch of invited foreign-based stars.

Sacrifice

The coach thanked the players for finding time to participate in the screening, describing them as real patriots of Nigeria.

- I must commend you all for coming down despite the short notice.
- You guys have sacrificed a lot to come here. I want to commend your efforts and assure you that we will not forget you in our plans, he said, adding that after the whole exercise, he would meet with his technical crew to select the final squad based on the players’ displays during the exercise.

Invitation

He disclosed that many of the invited foreign based players could not come as expected due to the fact that their letters of invitation were not sent on time to their respective clubs, noting, however, that now that that hurdle had been scaled, many of them would report to camp from this week.

- A lot of them will be available from January 4 when the team will reconvene for the final phase of preparations for the team’s first game against Gabon in February, Siasia added.

Ten players, including Aminu Umar of Samsunspor FC, Turkey; Samuel Ayinoko of Angelholms FV, Sweden; Nansil Selbol of Sporting Kansas, USA; Fred Friday of Lillestrom, Norway; Amuzie Stanley of Sassuolo Calsio, Italy.

Others are: Oladele Oshobe of Lokomotive Plovdiv, Bulgaria; Atanda Sodiq of FK Apolonia FC, Albania; Lawal Abidemi of FC Naftan and Sunday Ubale of Ukurd FC, Sweden, took part in the five-day screening exercise.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:58am On Dec 15, 2014
[b]
[size=14pt]Siasia Not Depending On Overseas Based Players[/size]

With only a handful of the invited overseas based players showing up to the team’s camp for screening, Dream Team VI coach Samson Siasia has told SL10.ng that he will not be overly dependent on overseas based players as he bids to raise another Olympic team for Nigeria.

The 47-year old also says he is learning from the mistakes of his predecessor and former international teammate, Austin Eguavoen by not depending too much on the overseas based lads, knowing that most of their programs don’t fall under the FIFA free windows.

“You have to learn from other people’s mistakes and I know I have to focus on the players based here in Nigeria and that’s why we have a lot of them now. These guys (overseas based players) will come and go and in the long run they may not come because it’s not a FIFA free period so we have to focus more on the home based players, especially those we feel can help us through the qualifying period,” Siasia said.

The Dream Team V failed to qualify for the London 2012 Olympics and Austin Eguavoen, who was coach of that team admitted that he depended too much on the overseas based players but was disappointed when majority of them failed to show up because the qualifiers didn’t fall within the FIFA free windows.

And Siasia says he will take lessons from the misfortunes of his former Super Eagles teammate.

“It is true what happened the last time was unfortunate because the overseas based players didn’t show up because it didn’t fall in the FIFA free period and we hope we won’t make the same mistake,” he added.[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:01am On Dec 15, 2014
[b][size=14pt]Siasia: I Have No Problem With Iheanacho Snub[/size]

Dream Team VI coach, Samson Siasia says there will be no problems with the Flying Eagles over the likes of Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success, Musa Mohammed and Musa Yahaya, after the quartet were invited to the U20’s for their preparation for the 2015 Africa Youth Championship, despite already having being invited to the U23’s.

The players are yet to report to the Dream Team camp, but are expected to team up with the Flying Eagles after the Christmas break, but despite the seeming disappointment of not having the players; Siasia says there should be no problems as he will communicate with the Flying Eagles coaches for the availability of the players when they shall be needed.

“Well I think the U20’s will go with their team first and we can only get them back when they’re not busy with the U20’s. So we have to know how to manage them and if we need those players from the U20, we will find a way to talk to the coaches to release them,” Siasia told SL10.ng.

The former Super Eagles striker had earlier invited 47 overseas based players for screening but have only had a handful of those, while a few have also showed up uninvited.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:00pm On Dec 15, 2014
[b][size=14pt]Under 23 National Team Coaches Erroneously Invite Bronshoj Striker Oke Akpoveta For Training Camp[/size]

The Under 23 national team coaches have erroneously invited Brønshøj striker Oke Akpoveta to attend the ongoing screening exercise in Abuja as he is not eligible to represent the Dream Team at the Olympic Games, having clocked 23 years already.

For the time being, Oke Akpoveta is training with the squad at the Fifa Goal Project in Abuja, but he has been told that he will not be considered for the qualification matches.

“I am in camp already, they asked me to come when I arrived Nigeria. The problem is that I am 23 years old now, so I can not play the qualifying matches,” Oke Akpoveta told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“They asked me to train with them for some few days; maybe they will need me in future. It is a good feeling to be selected among the squad.”

The former Warri Wolves forward has netted 2 goals in his last 3 matches in the Danish First Division.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2014
[b]Siasia continues trials for foreign pros

Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia will this week run the rule on a second batch of foreign-based professionals invited for the team's trials at the FIFA Goal Project in Abuja.

A new batch of foreign pros will begin their screening exercise this week, with four of them already in camp, after a first batch of 10 players ended their own trials.

They are Oke Akpoveta of Bronshoj BK, Denmark, Haruna Garba of FK Krouja, Lithuanian Alyga, Ashirumusefiu Olasunkanmi and Onuachu Paul Eber both of FC Midtjyllan, Denmark.

The first batch of pros screened included Umar Aminu of Samsunspor FC, Turkey, Samuel Ayinoko of Angelholms FV, Sweden, Nansil Selbol of Sporting Kansas, USA, Fred Friday of Lillestrom, Norway, Amuzie Stanley of Sassuolo Calsio, Italy and Oladele Oshobe of Lokomotive Plovdiv, Bulgaria.

Others were Atanda Sodiq of FK Apolonia FC, Albania, Lawal Abidemi of FC Naftan and Sunday Ubale of Ukurd FC, Sweden.

Addressing the players after the first batch screening, Siasia thanked them for finding time out of their busy schedule to participate describing them as real patriots of Nigeria.

"I must commend you all for coming down despite the short notice. You guys have sacrificed a lot to come here. I want to commend your efforts and assure you that we will not forget you in our plans,'' he said.

He said that after the whole exercise, he would meet with his technical crew to cross the T's and dot the I's to select a credible team for Nigeria promising that merit would be their watchword.

Siasia disclosed that many of the invited foreign based players could not come as expected due to the fact that their letters of invitation were not sent in time to their respective clubs, noting however that now that that hurdle had been scaled, many of them would report to camp from this week.

''A lot of them will be available from the 4th of January when the team will reconvene for the final phase of preparations for the team's first game against Gabon in February''.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:06pm On Dec 15, 2014
[b][size=14pt]Siasia Wants European Opposition
[/size]

Nigeria Under-23 Coach Samson Siasia has told sl10.ng that he is hoping to play some friendly games in Europe before February’s 2015 All Africa Games qualifier against Gabon.

Siasia had earlier stated his intention to play African opposition before the qualifiers against Gabon, but has now confirmed to sl10.ng that he is also looking to play against tougher opponents in Europe to get them in shape for the upcoming qualifiers.

However, he admits that they are still working with match agents to secure the games.

“We are still working with some match agents to see if they can get us some good games,” he said. “When we come back in January (after the Christmas break) and after our physical exercises, we will try to go to Europe and anywhere we can get these games.

“We will try to play against some tough opposition to kind of size ourselves up against stronger teams to get ourselves prepared for the February game.”

The team has been undergoing a screening exercise for close to a month now and have seen over a thousand players show up, but have struggled to secure the release of the invited overseas based players, with only a handful of them and a few uninvited players based abroad showing up.

But the 47-year old former Super Eagles coach has admitted that invitations didn’t go out on time and even at that, it will be difficult to have the players since the program doesn’t fall into any FIFA free period.

“The invitations were not sent out on time and some of them that came only came because their names were in the papers,” he added.

“But we also know this isn’t a free period so it could be difficult getting their clubs to release them.”
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:08pm On Dec 15, 2014
[b][size=14pt]NFF Confirms European Opposition For Dream Team[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation will grant the request of the Nigerian Under-23 coach Samson Siasia and organize European friendly matches for the team ahead of the All Africa Games qualifiers.

This is coming on the heels of Siasia requesting friendly matches in Europe before the qualifiers in February, and with the Super Eagles failing to qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea, the NFF admits they must now give more attention to the Dream Team.

“It is a very good idea and as soon as we have that request, we will put the machinery in place for him (Siasia) to have these games,” NFF General Secretary Musa Amadu tells sl10.ng.

“Don’t forget that the U23 team is the second most important team after the Super Eagles and we have competitions for the All Africa Games and then the Olympic qualifiers – the U23 African championship – and we will do everything possible to ensure we give the best support to this team.”

The U23’s are currently having a screening camp in Abuja, in preparation to February’s All Africa Games qualifier against Gabon and Siasia has told sl10.ng that: “We will try to go to Europe and anywhere we can get these games.

“We will try to play against some tough opposition to kind of size ourselves up against stronger teams to get ourselves prepared for the February game.”
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:51pm On Dec 15, 2014
joseph1013:

The Nigeria Football Federation will grant the request of the Nigerian Under-23 coach Samson Siasia and organize European friendly matches for the team ahead of the All Africa Games qualifiers.

This is coming on the heels of Siasia requesting friendly matches in Europe before the qualifiers in February, and with the Super Eagles failing to qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea, the NFF admits they must now give more attention to the Dream Team.

“It is a very good idea and as soon as we have that request, we will put the machinery in place for him (Siasia) to have these games,” NFF General Secretary Musa Amadu tells sl10.ng.

“Don’t forget that the U23 team is the second most important team after the Super Eagles and we have competitions for the All Africa Games and then the Olympic qualifiers – the U23 African championship – and we will do everything possible to ensure we give the best support to this team.”

The U23’s are currently having a screening camp in Abuja, in preparation to February’s All Africa Games qualifier against Gabon and Siasia has told sl10.ng that: “We will try to go to Europe and anywhere we can get these games.

[/b]
Italy, Spain and Germany always produce talented young talents who are exposed and playing regularly in top clubs. If we can secure a game against one, if not all of these teams, then Coach Siasia would be able to spot weaknesses and fix them faster.

Great work Joseph1013.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2014
[b][size=14pt]Real Mallorca Debutant Committed To Nigeria[/size]

[img]http://www.rcdmallorca.es/galeria/thumbs/miniaturas/tn_1379497130_1.JPG[/img]

Nigeria will not lose the promising Real Mallorca striker Cedric Omoigui, 20, to the Spanish National Team in future.

Regarded as one of the top talents at the Iberostar, the Benin - City born attacker was one of the 47 foreign- based professionals invited to the Dream Team's screening exercise by coach Samson Siasia.

Though club duties prevented Omoigui from honouring the call - up, he has stressed that his international future with Nigeria has already been sealed.

''The Nigeria Football Federation did not send any letter of invitation to Mallorca. I have not yet contacted the coach to inform him I wasn't going to come to camp,'' Cedric Omoigui, told SL10.ng.

''I would have preferred to go to Nigeria for something important, an official match or tournament, something like that.

''But to travel for a training camp, possibly my team won't let me go even if they receive a letter. I will be available for the Olympic Games and All Africa Games qualifiers.

''I think I was selected because I'm doing well, it's an honour. I'm not the one to say whether I deserve it or not.''

A product of Real Madrid academy, the pacy striker finally made his long awaited debut for the first team of Mallorca in their 1-1 draw with Numancia last weekend.

''It's very special and nice playing my first game for Mallorca. I was nervous but when you feel the support of the fans and hear them sing your name, it makes you stronger on the pitch.

''I hope it is the first of many games,'' the Mallorca number 36 concluded.

Cedric Omoigui has chalked up 8 goals in 16 matches for Mallorca II, who play in the Segunda División B or third-tier.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:03pm On Dec 16, 2014
joseph1013:
[size=14pt]U23 team: First phase of camping ends[/size]

Samson Siasia, has concluded the screening for the first batch of foreign-based footballers ahead of the qualifiers for the 2015 All African Games.

Siasia started the screening with the home-based players, who later gave way to the first batch of invited foreign-based stars.

Ten players, including Aminu Umar of Samsunspor FC, Turkey; Samuel Ayinoko of Angelholms FV, Sweden; Nansil Selbol of Sporting Kansas, USA; Fred Friday of Lillestrom, Norway; Amuzie Stanley of Sassuolo Calsio, Italy.

Others are: Oladele Oshobe of Lokomotive Plovdiv, Bulgaria; Atanda Sodiq of FK Apolonia FC, Albania; Lawal Abidemi of FC Naftan and Sunday Ubale of Ukurd FC, Sweden, took part in the five-day screening exercise.

Which kind yeye foreign based players be these? I have never heard any of these club names before sef.
Siasia abeg throway these players go look for better ones jare. If we cant get any in top leagues lets go for d NPFL boys.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:17pm On Dec 16, 2014
joseph1013:

[/b]
You are playing African Qualifiers and u want to go and camp in Europe to play friendlies. Ok i c. Is it because Naija didnt qualify for Afcon una come dey look for another avenue to steal money.
Abeg Siasia arrange 2 legged friendly between Nigeria and Either Ghana, Cameroun, Togo or Benin.
Bc of Gabon una wan go play Spain, Italy or Holland. angry
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:29pm On Dec 16, 2014
Icon4s:

Which kind yeye foreign based players be these? I have never heard any of these club names before sef.
Siasia abeg throway these players go look for better ones jare. If we cant get any in top leagues lets go for d NPFL boys.
Remember Aaron Samuel, Oshaniwa and Michael Babatunde. These guys played for unknown clubs but became revelations in the Super Eagles team.

What matters is that they arrived camp and they trained with Coach Samson Siasia.

The Coach will select the best players that showed up. Including those fro the local league, those from unknown clubs and those from top clubs.

It is not by the club but if they are good.

I admire the work so much.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:32pm On Dec 16, 2014
Icon4s:

You are playing African Qualifiers and u want to go and camp in Europe to play friendlies. Ok i c. Is it because Naija didnt qualify for Afcon una come dey look for another avenue to steal money.
Abeg Siasia arrange 2 legged friendly between Nigeria and Either Ghana, Cameroun, Togo or Benin.
Bc of Gabon una wan go play Spain, Italy or Holland. angry
The friendlies are not done to win games but to spot weak points in the team in the shortest possible time. Playing top foreign counterparts will expose the tactical weakness in the team fast and give the coach a chance to brush up those weaknesses.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:54am On Dec 17, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
The friendlies are not done to win games but to spot weak points in the team in the shortest possible time. Playing top foreign counterparts will expose the tactical weakness in the team fast and give the coach a chance to brush up those weaknesses.

Let me tell u. As far as age grade competition is concerned with d exception if Spain, no team in Europe is as solid as Nigéria, Cameroun and Ghana. Nigeria and Cameroun are past Olympic champions and Ghana had a Bronze. If they want to test their strenght and expose weaknesses let them arrange a 2legged friendly between Nigéria and Ghana/ Cameroun.
We are playing qualifiers for all African games. Many of those foreign lads Siasia invited have never even visited Africa. They dnt know what it is to play under a hostile environment including playing under a hash weather and a bad playing turf.
Series of friendlies with our next door neighbours would b more effective, easier to arrange and more cost effective.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:13am On Dec 17, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Remember Aaron Samuel, Oshaniwa and Michael Babatunde. These guys played for unknown clubs but became revelations in the Super Eagles team.

What matters is that they arrived camp and they trained with Coach Samson Siasia.

The Coach will select the best players that showed up. Including those fro the local league, those from unknown clubs and those from top clubs.

It is not by the club but if they are good.

I admire the work so much.
Do u know that Oshaniwa was one of the longest serving Keshi boys? He has been playing second fiddle to Echiejile since that team was assembled.In the only game he was featured in d last Afcon for jst d last 10mins he almost cost Nigeria d trophy with one useless tackle at the edge of d box.He saw the competition, He trained with the big players and improved. The last WC which Echiejile missed was his break through.
Do u know Michael Babatunde played in the 2013 Fifa confederations cup? He was a big flop. Keshi dropped him alongside Akpala and Ujah bt decided to recall him when we obviousely had an attacking midfield problem. To me Babatunde has nt had enough playing time for me to firmly rate his abilities.
Aaron Samuel might jst b a flash in d pan. There are many of such players. If he was that good how come European scouts have nt noticed him and taken him to Europe.
Ok Aaron Samuel is 20yrs old, I expect Siasia to call him for the U23 so we can see more of him and his abilities. Imoh Ezekiel, Keneth Omeruo and Kenedy Otigba also should b invited. Not only those rookies playing in some nameless clubs in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:17pm On Dec 17, 2014
[b][size=14pt]Siasia denies fighting over Iheanacho, U20 stars[/size]

Coach of Nigeria U23 team Samson Siasia has denied he is at war with his counterpart in the country’s U20 Manu Garba over the invitation of some players invited by him.

Siasia said at no time did he and Manu disagree over any player and wondered why some mischief makers would want to create news when none exist.

"Why would I fight over Iheanacho and other players with coach Manu when both of us can easily use them for the betterment of the nation? There is no basis for a clash of interest as the players in question cannot be active for both teams at the same time," Siasia said.

"When Manu is using them for their games, it's not possible for them to be available for me, besides my plans for these players is basically for the Olympics and as such they would have finished playing the U20 World Cup before our competition will heat up, so there is just no way we would be fighting over them."

He added: "Besides the experience they will garner while playing at the U20 World Cup will come in handy when we will be needing their services, so it is to our benefit if they are active with the Flying Eagles."

Siasia disclosed that he released the names of those players from the foreign leagues to make them know they are in his short and long term plans, as not all of them will be available when they are needed knowing that the All Africa Games is not a FIFA sanctioned event and as such some clubs will not readily agree to release their players for the event.

The U23 tactician said he is already in talks with some of the clubs in respect of some players he would be needing as the most important thing is not just to have these players in camp, but to have them for the real games.

Meanwhile, four more foreign-based players have arrived the camp of the Dream Team VI swelling the number of the foreign legion to eight.

Those who just arrived are Goodness Ajayi, Diyoke Gerald Chibueze, Jamilu Collins all of HNK Rijeka, Croatia and Sam Tahir of Bronshoj Boldklub, Denmark.

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:21pm On Dec 17, 2014
[b][size=14pt]Olaitan: I'm Stronger Physically and Mentally[/size]

Olympiakos recuperating forward, Michael Olaitan, says his unfortunate slump on the pitch during a derby game with Panathinaikos has made him a much better man in facing adversaries.

Speaking for the first time since his return to full training, the 21-year-old told NOVA the incident killed any fear factor in him and he is much more equipped now to face the challenges of life.

"I really had a hard time. But in life it can happen. We do not know what can happen in one or two minutes. But in life they occur" he said.

"It really was a difficult time for me. But I am grateful to God that I have a second chance.

"I sincerely want to thank the people who were next to me, the club, my teammates and coaches, I'm stronger physically and psychologically.

"I am not afraid anymore. Life is so full of challenges. When you face the challenge, it measures how strong or weak you are. It happens"

He is ineligible to feature for the team until January at the earliest, as he was omitted from the list of foreign players registered by the team at the start of the season when there was doubts about his return to football.

However, he is backing his teammates to go on and lift the league title and also post an impressive run in the Europa league while confirming his readiness to help out if he is needed.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 4:25pm On Dec 17, 2014
[b][size=14pt]Rijeka Trio Arrive For Under-23 Screening[/size]

HNK Rijeka B team trio, Collins Jamilu, Gerald Diyoke and Goodness Ajayi, are presently part of the foreign based players in camp for the Under-23 screening.

The trio arrived camp on Monday and have so far participated in two training sessions in a bid to win a place in Nigeria's next Under-23 team that will take part in the All Africa Games and Olympics.

Left full back Jamilu Collins and striker Goodness Ajayi have had stints with the Rijeka first team in the past, but the pair were sent to the division below, as they failed to break into the first team.

Collins was part of the Nigeria Under-20 team of two years ago and played in the Intertoto Cup, while Ajayi arrived late in camp in Germany, hence he missed out on the chance to train with the team.

Meanwhile, Gerald Diyoke a left footed defensive midfielder yet to sign professional terms with the team, is highly rated in the B team and played a key role in helping them win the 62nd annual Rivers Cup in the summer.

They are part of the eight Nigerian youngsters currently on the books of the Croatia first division side, but they play for the B team who are campaigning in the third division.

However, they are topping the division and promotion to the second division is almost guaranteed for the team.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
Well done Joseph. U deserve a sports writers award. kiss

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:09pm On Dec 17, 2014
Icon4s:

Let me tell u. As far as age grade competition is concerned with d exception if Spain, no team in Europe is as solid as Nigéria, Cameroun and Ghana. Nigeria and Cameroun are past Olympic champions and Ghana had a Bronze. If they want to test their strenght and expose weaknesses let them arrange a 2legged friendly between Nigéria and Ghana/ Cameroun.
We are playing qualifiers for all African games. Many of those foreign lads Siasia invited have never even visited Africa. They dnt know what it is to play under a hostile environment including playing under a hash weather and a bad playing turf.
Series of friendlies with our next door neighbours would b more effective, easier to arrange and more cost effective.

How can you say no team is as good as Nigeria? The Italians have a history of building World Class youth teams due to the way a lot of home grown youngsters play in the league. Are you not noticing the explosion of young Belgian talents like Januzaj and Lukaku. Belgium U21 beat the Spanish U21 4-1 last month in a friendly game.

Playing top oppositions will do our team a lot of good. These European boys like the Netherland teams are already playing in top professional leagues and will give our coaches better view of the technical aspect of the team.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 9:15pm On Dec 17, 2014
Icon4s:

Coach Siasia has not ruled out playing African sides. However, he needs top level games to get this players developed technically. Many African sides are not developed technically and that could be an edge for our team. Remember when Egypt dominated African football. That was due to the technical advancement of their play.

So foreign lads can also bring a technical edge and the home based lads can train alongside these foreign professionals and can develops the technical side of their game.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:31pm On Dec 18, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
How can you say no team is as good as Nigeria? The Italians have a history of building World Class youth teams due to the way a lot of home grown youngsters play in the league. Are you not noticing the explosion of young Belgian talents like Januzaj and Lukaku. Belgium U21 beat the Spanish U21 4-1 last month in a friendly game.

Playing top oppositions will do our team a lot of good. These European boys like the Netherland teams are already playing in top professional leagues and will give our coaches better view of the technical aspect of the team.
C, when it comes to age grade competitions Nigeria and Ghana are ranked along side Brazil and Argentina. What has Belgium or Italy that u mentioned won be it U17, U20, or U23?I even rate more highly youth teams from CIV, Guinea, Mali, Cameroun than most of those European teams.
I have been following youths football for abt 30yrs.
What we need for the U23 now are friendlies with Mostly West African rivals. Benin or even Togo can serve d purpose.

Mtcheew Una wan go play Belgium and Italy bc of qualufiers against Gabon.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 3:47pm On Dec 18, 2014
[size=14pt]Dream Team get Egyptian challenge[/size]

The national U-23 team are scheduled to face their counterparts from Egypt in fa series of friendly matches in January 2015 ahead of their All-Africa Games qualifier against Gabon on February 7, the Nigeria Football Federation has said.

The first two games will be played in Nigeria on January 15 and 17, while the other two ties will be played in Egypt on January 20 and 22.

Crucial

Nigeria coach, Samson Siasia commended the NFF for arranging the matches, saying the games would put his team in the right frame of mind before their crucial engagement.

Siasia said his team would depart for Turkey, after the Egypt friendlies, for another round of intensive training.

The former Super Eagles forward wants the team to embark on a training tour of Turkey, Dubai and Malta before facing Gabon.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:48pm On Dec 18, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3:
Coach Siasia has not ruled out playing African sides. However, he needs top level games to get this players developed technically. Many African sides are not developed technically and that could be an edge for our team. Remember when Egypt dominated African football. That was due to the technical advancement of their play.

So foreign lads can also bring a technical edge and the home based lads can train alongside these foreign professionals and can develops the technical side of their game.

Maybe after qualifying for the Olympics they should start playing European and South American oppoaition.
What the U23 lads need now especially those ajebo foreign based is thé mental and physical strenght to compete against African oppositions.
Most of them have never played under a hostile environment and on bumpy pitches.
Jst imagine taking those Nigerian boys that play for Arsenal ånd Chelsea to play a game in Lubumbashi at 2pm kick-off time in d sunny afternoon and on a bumpy pitch. Na die b dat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.