Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,382 members, 7,846,619 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (702061 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2015
safarigirl:
you mean like Iwobi that's played for England and is now turning to Nigeria? Unless Britain has a new law that can grant a player citizenship after 2-3 years, then your fears are unfounded

I know absolutely zilch about British laws but your reasons for him not being included make my fears very well founded are u under the illusions that he cannot shun every single call the country makes? if he is a star for Man City does playing for Nigeria add much to his clout? He can down right refuse to play for anyone. Most of his teammates are retiring from international football we have to get him when he still has interest in playing for us. Unless we have some world cup trophies hidden somewhere and we are so big a country that a Man City first teamer can't even get called shoot even Delph will keep his English spot the manager said so and he gets as much minutes as Iheanacho.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:53pm On Sep 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria (U20)
Iheanacho vs Iwobi: Where did Oliseh get it wrong?
[/size]

Iheanacho (left) has done more than Iwobi to earn an Eagles call-up
by Samm Audu
Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has generated another selection controversy after he picked Arsenal starlet Alex Iwobi ahead of another promising youngster Kelechi Iheanacho of Manchester City.
Both players are in the age-group category Oliseh has said he will look at as he begins rebuilding the Super Eagles.
But while Iheanacho has scored his first goal in the English Premier League with City, Iwobi, who at 19 is a year older, has yet to make his competitive Arsenal debut.
Iwobi is registered in the EPL this season mainly because he holds a British passport, while Iheanacho earned his work permit as a “special talent” after he was crowned MVP of the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.
This season, Iheanacho has been on the bench for City in the league in six matches and has scored a goal – a famous last-gasp match winner at Crystal Palace.
Iwobi, on the other hand, has yet to be listed even on the bench for Arsenal this season.
Another Nigerian-born youngster, Chuba Akpom, is even ahead of Iwobi at The Gunners and has only been shipped out on loan to Hull City to enjoy regular first-team football and gain more experience.
Iheanacho is also a more versatile player than Iwobi.
The City youngster could play as a left-sided midfielder, playmaker or striker, while Iwobi is a left winger.
And a time when Oliseh's Eagles are desperately in need of proven class in a problematic midfield, Iheanacho ought to be given a more immediate consideration.
Iheanacho has been capped by Nigeria at U20 level and has trained with the home-based Eagles prior to the 2014 CHAN and would have made the final squad but at the time he was pursuing his move to City.
Iwobi trained with the Nigeria U23, but this was then put on hold as the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) needed to clarify his eligibility having played several times for various England age-group teams.
Unlike Liverpool forward Jordon Ibe, Iwobi is not yet knocking on the door of the Three Lions of England.
There are also those who have suggested that Iwobi has only been considered ahead of Iheanacho because he is a nephew of the legendary Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha, who is chairman of the NFF study group and a former teammate of coach Oliseh.
Odion Ighalo's exploits in the English top flight have forced Oliseh to recall the Watford striker after he overlooked him for last month’s AFCON qualifier in Tanzania amid a national outcry.
Iheanaho’s remarkable progress in England ought to have earned him an invite as well on current form and the needs of the Eagles.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/570670/Iheanacho-vs-Iwobi-Where-did-Oliseh-get-it-wrong

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:54pm On Sep 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Forget Eagles for Now, Oliseh Tells Iheanacho
[/size]
[img]http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00038936.html[/img]
Super Eagles.
Super Eagles Head Coach, Sunday Oliseh, has asked Manchester City's starlet, Kelechi Iheanacho, to forget featuring for the Super Eagles for now.
This is because the coach believes that the time is not ripe for the player, saying, he "will get his time" to play for the Super Eagles.
Iheanacho has scored just once in three appearances for Manchester City in the English Premier League this season. But he has so far failed to make a starting start for the Citizens this season.
Despite not starting a match this season, Coach Manuel Pelligrini believes that the player is very important to the team.
Though, Oliseh admits his talent but insisted that he would not be rushed into the Eagles despite inviting Arsenal's Alex Iwobi for next month's international friendlies against DR Congo and Cameroon.
"Iheanacho will get his time with the Super Eagles no doubt but we must not rush him into the squad," Oliseh told Compl etsportsnigeria.com.
"He's currently nursing an injury and he needs substantial time on the pitch as well.
"We acknowledge his talent but he still needs to prove that with the Olympic squad as well.
"Iwobi has just got the much awaited green light to feature for Nigeria and we need such talents in the team just as Iheanacho.
"Everybody will get his chance to showcase what they can offer the team but we the coaches will invite them at the right time so they don't perform below what we expect," he concluded.
Iheanacho is doubtful for Manchester City's clash against Tottenham Hotspur at the White Hart Lane on Saturday owing to injury, according to manager Manuel Pellegrini.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201509250669.html
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:58pm On Sep 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ajayi: Why I Shunned Europe For CS Sfaxien
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
Club Sportif Sfaxien new boy Junior Ajayi has revealed it was a dream come true to move to Tunisia after spending just one season in the Nigerian Football Premier League with Shooting Stars Sports club.
Several top clubs in Germany, Belgium and France were reportedly keen to sign the young forward but he opted for CS Sfaxien to brighten his chances of featuring in next year's football event at the Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro.
Ajayi, who joined the Tunisian outfit for a record $1.2m from 36 Lions on a three-year deal and has been handed the No.11 jersey, told Comple tesportsnigeria.com exclusively that his huge price tag doesn't put him under any form of pressure.
Ajayi's move to CS Sfaxien makes the U-23 Eagles star the costliest Nigerian in Tunisia over Bernard Bulbwa and Emem Eduok at Esperance and Moses Orkuma of Etoile du Sahel, Comple tesportsnigeria.com can report.
"It's a massive club and I'm really happy to be here," Ajayi said. "I had my first training on Tuesday and another on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to getting some time on the pitch against EGS Gafsa on Sunday. It's going to be a dream come true for me to make my debut in front of the home fans.
"I'd love to play for Sfaxien and I know it won't be easy and I'll have fight for my place in the team but I'll work hard to do that.
"Also part of the reasons I joined was that they agreed to release me for the CAF U-23 Championship in Senegal which will brighten my chances of making the Olympics."
Ajayi, who is the Nigeria U-23s top scorer with six goals in all competitions, is focusing on adding more goals to his game.
"With 3SC I scored seven goals and this season it's something I've looked to bring into my game, to get more goals and get more assists as well," he told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
"It's been a good season for me in Nigeria and I am keen on translating that here. We're playing well and we're leading the log after two games at the moment. It's a tight league and the top three are really fighting for it."
Ajayi was also impressed with CS Sfaxien training facility, saying: "I've never seen anything like it. I'm looking forward to making this my home."
Meanwhile, Sfaxien President Lotfi Abdennadher is delighted to have signed Ajayi and he believes his arrival could land the club a ninth Ligue 1 title.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ajayi-why-i-shunned-europe-for-cs-sfaxien/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:02pm On Sep 25, 2015
See what I was partly talking about? The writer's view is not without truth but he's seeing this from one side only. Let's move on.............. *smiles*

terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria (U20)
Iheanacho vs Iwobi: Where did Oliseh get it wrong?
[/size]

Iheanacho (left) has done more than Iwobi to earn an Eagles call-up
by Samm Audu
Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has generated another selection controversy after he picked Arsenal starlet Alex Iwobi ahead of another promising youngster Kelechi Iheanacho of Manchester City.
Both players are in the age-group category Oliseh has said he will look at as he begins rebuilding the Super Eagles.
But while Iheanacho has scored his first goal in the English Premier League with City, Iwobi, who at 19 is a year older, has yet to make his competitive Arsenal debut.
Iwobi is registered in the EPL this season mainly because he holds a British passport, while Iheanacho earned his work permit as a “special talent” after he was crowned MVP of the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.
This season, Iheanacho has been on the bench for City in the league in six matches and has scored a goal – a famous last-gasp match winner at Crystal Palace.
Iwobi, on the other hand, has yet to be listed even on the bench for Arsenal this season.
Another Nigerian-born youngster, Chuba Akpom, is even ahead of Iwobi at The Gunners and has only been shipped out on loan to Hull City to enjoy regular first-team football and gain more experience.
Iheanacho is also a more versatile player than Iwobi.
The City youngster could play as a left-sided midfielder, playmaker or striker, while Iwobi is a left winger.
And a time when Oliseh's Eagles are desperately in need of proven class in a problematic midfield, Iheanacho ought to be given a more immediate consideration.
Iheanacho has been capped by Nigeria at U20 level and has trained with the home-based Eagles prior to the 2014 CHAN and would have made the final squad but at the time he was pursuing his move to City.
Iwobi trained with the Nigeria U23, but this was then put on hold as the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) needed to clarify his eligibility having played several times for various England age-group teams.
Unlike Liverpool forward Jordon Ibe, Iwobi is not yet knocking on the door of the Three Lions of England.
There are also those who have suggested that Iwobi has only been considered ahead of Iheanacho because he is a nephew of the legendary Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha, who is chairman of the NFF study group and a former teammate of coach Oliseh.
Odion Ighalo's exploits in the English top flight have forced Oliseh to recall the Watford striker after he overlooked him for last month’s AFCON qualifier in Tanzania amid a national outcry.
Iheanaho’s remarkable progress in England ought to have earned him an invite as well on current form and the needs of the Eagles.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/570670/Iheanacho-vs-Iwobi-Where-did-Oliseh-get-it-wrong
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:13pm On Sep 25, 2015
safarigirl:
kelechi is Kelechi, not Neymar, not Owen, not Pele, not Rooney, he's Kelechi and he isn't complaining about not being included in the team. It took NFF 5 years to call up Ighalo, Enyeama didn't get his chance to shine till 22. Oliseh may not be keen to allow Kelechi start a game and a player his calibre isn't a bencher. Relax, you can only complain here, but the coach will make the last decision, besides, it's just friendlies

I love when people say he is not so and so but did Pele have over 1000 goals and 3 world cups at the age of 18? Nope...But guess what? He was on the Brazilian National team.
Enyeama was actually 20 at the world cup even at 22 that's very young for keepers. Jude Ighalo got hot just last year around November and was called twice already. He really never did much outside of Watford he was just like Success being owned by Granada and Malaga i think. You cannot compare either to Iheanacho because those 2 just popped up while we've know Iheanacho since u-17. How has Nigeria helped with his progress since then. The NFF not any coach is to blame because they should have set aside spots for Nacho and co, if our league can have 6 spots what stops Nacho Awoniyi and Success from being there also.
Why wouldn't you let them start a friendly what is there to lose our 40 something ranking. What can be worse than Haruna Lukman

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 5:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
International Friendlies Nigeria
Eagles surprise invitee Iwobi scores for Arsenal U21s
[/size]

Alex Iwobi scores for Arsenal U21s
Super Eagles surprise invitee Alex Iwobi was on target for Arsenal U21s on Friday when they beat Wolves U21s 3-2 to maintain their 100 per cent start to the season.
Arsenal lead the U21 League division 2 with 15 points from five games.
Iwobi scored Arsenal’s third when he capitalised on a defensive mix-up and slotted the ball past Flatt.
The Gunners recovered after Eusebio Bancessi opened the scoring for the hosts, with Chris Willock and Stephy Mavididi on target to give them the lead at half-time.
Iwobi reacted to a defensive mistake to add to the visitors' lead before Jordan Graham pulled one back to set up a tense finish.
But Arsenal held on to maintain their place at the top of the table.
He was on the bench for Arsenal main team in a 2-1 win at Tottenham in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/570794/Eagles-surprise-invitee-Iwobi-scores-for-Arsenal-U21s

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:30pm On Sep 25, 2015
Na wa o! Una still dey trash out this matter? Ok suit una selves........... Anyway I just wanna make a small correction.

Ighalo, like Success, was snapped up by Udinese of italy, not malaga, and loaned to Granada before being sold to Watford. Coincidentally, these three clubs(Udinese, Granada and Watford) are owned by one family *cant recall their name now but I think it's an Italian family dynasty*

That's the main reason for the interchange of players among the 3 sides. *smiles*

Ok....... U guys can carry on now........ *smiles*

But seriously, pls let's move on........... *smiles*

I believe I've done enough justice to the matter but hey the choice lies with you guys aiiit...... Anytime you're ready........ *smiles*

BascoVanVeli:

I love when people say he is not so and so but did Pele have over 1000 goals and 3 world cups at the age of 18? Nope...But guess what? He was on the Brazilian National team.
Enyeama was actually 20 at the world cup even at 22 that's very young for keepers. Jude Ighalo got hot just last year around November and was called twice already. He really never did much outside of Watford he was just like Success being owned by Granada and Malaga i think. You cannot compare either to Iheanacho because those 2 just popped up while we've know Iheanacho since u-17. How has Nigeria helped with his progress since then. The NFF not any coach is to blame because they should have set aside spots for Nacho and co, if our league can have 6 spots what stops Nacho Awoniyi and Success from being there also.
Why wouldn't you let them start a friendly what is there to lose our 40 something ranking. What can be worse than Haruna Lukman
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Na wa o! Una still dey trash out this matter? Ok suit una selves........... Anyway I just wanna make a small correction.

Ighalo, like Success, was snapped up by Udinese of italy, not malaga, and loaned to Granada before being sold to Watford. Coincidentally, these three clubs(Udinese, Granada and Watford) are owned by one family *cant recall their name now but I think it's an Italian family dynasty*

That's the main reason for the interchange of players among the 3 sides. *smiles*

Ok....... U guys can carry on now........ *smiles*

But seriously, pls let's move on........... *smiles*

I believe I've done enough justice to the matter but hey the choice lies with you guys aiiit...... Anytime you're ready........ *smiles*

my brother don't mind me o i just dey talk. Correction taken thanks.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:50pm On Sep 25, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Maybe Sir or in fact, certainly....... But there's undisputably still enough room for "MERIT" and based on this, Isaac Success and the other uncapped star prodigies will get their chance.

Do you know why I drew that conclusion?
If you can recall carefully, Icon4s once said 'he was one of those who made Coach Sunday Oliseh not to Invite Kelechi Iheanacho', so am beginning to wonder why he did encourage the Coach to invite Alex Iwobi
also, don't forget the Jay-Jay Okocha factor. He is indeed Alex's cousin. Does Nacho have any body like that to work for him? I did also like Sir Icon4s to come and tell me Alex is better than Nacho.

"Bigger Smiles~`

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
Cameroon Name Strong Squad for Nigeria Friendly
Has any one taken note of the fact that, one of the so called strongest squad named by Cameroun to face Nigeria has a player that plays for – KV Ostende?
That player is Siani Sebastien, Godwin Saviour's team mate.
– KV Ostende am sure is better than most Clubs in Nigerian Professional Football League.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 6:00pm On Sep 25, 2015
Orkpekyandega:

If you can recall carefully, Icon4s once said 'he was one of those who made Coach Sunday Oliseh not to Invite Kelechi Iheanacho', so am beginning to wonder why he did encourage the Coach to invite Alex Iwobi
also, don't forget the Jay-Jay Okocha factor. He is indeed Alex's cousin. Does Nacho have any body like that to work for him? I did also like Sir Icon4s to come and tell me Alex is better than Nacho.

"Bigger Smiles~`
At the risk of sounding condescending, I think icon is just bluffing. He told Oliseh not to invite Kelechi? LOL Talk better abeg.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:04pm On Sep 25, 2015
joseph1013:
At the risk of sounding condescending, I think icon is just bluffing. He told Oliseh not to invite Kelechi? Talk better abeg.
Sorry I wanted to say 'why didn't he Icon4s discourage Coach Sunday Oliseh from inviting Alex Iwobi' because he (Alex) is not better than Nacho.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:07pm On Sep 25, 2015
Wow!!! So you saw that line that gives u this conclusion? But if I'm right what he said exactly was this, ".........I'm privy to the reasons for Oliseh's non-invitation of Iheanacho.......". Something like that....... *smiles*

And by that I understand he 'may' be close to sources moving bumper-to-bumper with Oliseh's crew but I don't think he can get close enuf to directly "advise" Oliseh on players invitation and selection.

Besides, I fear you're giving Sir Icon4s a whole lot of Credit and Power based on the above statement he made about being "privy to certain info" and going ahead to call Nacho his boy........... His boy?? Someone he's always placed Bernard Bulbwa above right from the U-20 thread.

He may be a seasoned and experienced football observer but I don't give a dollar....... He has my respects but his pessimism is deepseated. Like Safarigirl once said, I suspect Sir Icon4s dislikes And does everything to subtly put down Iheanacho. But it's ok....... I don't wanna go down that road again. LET'S MOVE ON........................ *Biggest Smiles*

Orkpekyandega:

"Bigger Smiles~`

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:15pm On Sep 25, 2015
Yeah, I've seen the cameroun squad list and I was excited at the attack we'll come up against in Vincent Aboubakar of Fc porto and Choupo Maxim Moting of Schalke 04. It'll be a great test for our defence.

That guy from Oostende is quite a good player too.

Mehn! Check out the camerounian defence: Nkoulou, Chedjou, and Bassong will be good sparring opponents for our interesting and "full of surprises" young but dynamic attack of Ighalo, Victor, Musa/Simon among others.

*smiles*

Orkpekyandega:
Cameroon Name Strong Squad for Nigeria Friendly
Has any one taken note of the fact that, one of the so called strongest squad named by Cameroun to face Nigeria has a player that plays for – KV Ostende?
That player is Siani Sebastien, Godwin Saviour's team mate.
– KV Ostende am sure is better than most Clubs in Nigerian Professional Football League.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Yeah, I've seen the cameroun squad list and I was excited at the attack we'll come up against in Vincent Aboubakar of Fc porto and Choupo Maxim Moting of Schalke 04. It'll be a great test for our defence.

That guy from Oostende is quite a good player too.

Mehn! Check out the camerounian defence: Nkoulou, Chedjou, and Bassong will be good sparring opponents for our interesting and "full of surprises" young but dynamic attack of Ighalo, Victor, Musa/Simon among others.

*smiles*

You see, when I learnt that Godwin Saviour joined – KV Ostende, I became worried because I never took the Club serious, especially when you look at their position and history in the Belgian League. However, the thought of one of their players been listed among one of the West African Giants Squad, shows that the Club is actually not be a too bad one for Godwin Saviour to start from and learn the trade.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:07pm On Sep 25, 2015
Yeah..... You're right. It's really looks like a good place to begin for Godwin "the little bull" Savior. The club's current league position is quite commendable at the moment.

They also have Nigerian Fringe international, Joseph Akpala so I feel Savior is in pretty good hands.

The path to greatness and success in the game is different for a lot of exciting young talents:

(A). Some may start with relatively unknown clubs b4 hitting the big clubs.
E.g. Lewandoski (or should I say "Lewan-GOALS-ki"wink made his mark at Lech Poznan in poland b4 hitting it big at Dormund and now Bayern munich.
Another Example is Kanu Nwankwo who started from Iwuanyanwu Nationale in Owerri, Nigeria b4 heading to Ajax where he made big marks, Inter milan and then Arsenal fc of England where he became one of their legends and contributed good to the "invincibles" of 2003/2004.

(B). Some others start with relatively big clubs b4 hitting it big with the big clubs or other "relatively" big clubs.
E.g. Luis Suarez came through the Ajax academy, made his mark there b4 going on to become a cult hero at liverpool and now he's at Fc Barcelona (first club of choice for our beloved Sir joseph1013 ). *winks*

(C). While some others start with the 'really' big clubs and go on to be legends and stars for such clubs or move on to other really big clubs and still make their mark.
E.g. Lionel Messi came through Barcelona's La masia and he's today one of the greatest soccer players of all time and the best in this generation or of his generation.

Note: I only speak of those that go on to be greats, world class and super stars in the game.

Orkpekyandega:

You see, when I learnt that Godwin Saviour joined – KV Ostende, I became worried because I never took the Club serious, especially when you look at their position and history in the Belgian League. However, the thought of one of their players been listed among one of the West African Giants Squad, shows that the Club is actually not be a too bad one for Godwin Saviour to start from and learn the trade.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:27am On Sep 26, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Man City were not going to pay so much for Bony and let him be the third striker so i feel thats why Dzeko was loaned to give Bony a chance to prove his worth.
Dzeko, Aguero and Bony all make 100k and up a week so it would make sense to drop one and use an academy player as your third striker.
For City and Iheanacho it is a low risk high reward issue, if he shines all praises to their youth system.
I do agree that Iheanacho had a part in Dzeko moving on but it was not so big a part.

Funny if you think Man City can not pay top bucks for a third striker. Almost all the players in the Man City squad earn big bucks. Dzeko wanted to go and Pellegrini allowed him go because he believes Nacho is up to the task. It is as simple as that.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:37am On Sep 26, 2015
Nacho's agent is to blame for Keshi's snub. CHAN is a FIFA rated tournament and he had a chance to break into the National team at a very young age. His agent was greedy. One month would not destroy his chance of joining Man City.

Keshi even released him and told them to sign a post dated contract and return the boy to camp and they refused.

I do not think Coach Keshi deserves a blame for this.

It is in the past and it is time to wipe the wrongs.

TheSuperNerd:
Your point is well noted Sir. I too wanna see Nacho in the Super Eagles a.s.a.p

But pls understand Oliseh. Only one news site got it right concerning why he called up Iwobi now. And that site shared my exact thoughts on the matter.

The way some media houses are going about this isn't so right. They are making it an "Iheanacho vs Iwobi" matter.

It's true Iheanacho would hv gotten his first senior cap by now but pls, Oliseh just took over and have played just 2 games. So more opportunities will surely come for Nacho and the other uncapped super young talents. Keshi refused to give Iheanacho the eye so he's partly responsible for this (and let know one cite that chan incident where Nacho left camp on permission to go wrap up his deal at man city as the reason keshi did not give Nacho anoda look-in. What people don't realise is that Fifa does not rate the Chan as a grade 'A' tournament and would hv contributed nothing to enhancing Nacho's "special talent" credentials. Do u think man city is stupid? If the chan would have boosted Nacho's case for a work permit in england, they would hv left him with Keshi and co for the chan tournament in south africa).

So relax Sir, Nacho's senior debut isn't so far off. It's all a matter of time and when it does come (and it will come soon enough- between now and within the first 6 months of next year- as a 19-yr old) we'll all feel the immediate impact as great signs of bigger things to come for Nigerian football....... Our gladness and Joy will know no bounds.

Coincidentally, Nacho's 19th birthday is on October 3rd, the same day that may mark his recovery from this injury setback inspite of whether he gets to feature against Newcastle or whether Pellegrinni rests him further. But one thing is certain, at the latest, that's the weekend Nacho recovers fully.

Keep happy y'all........... *smiles*

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:51am On Sep 26, 2015
Orkpekyandega:

"Bigger Smiles~`

As much as I am happy Oliseh did not invite Nacho, there is no way anyone can say Alex Iwobi's invitation is suspicious. As much as Nacho is not called up, so is Isaac Success abandoned by us. Oliseh should secure our top talents who need help to climb. It will benefit us in a long way.

Get something. There is something Fishy with Nigerian coaches. Oliseh came out screaming starters. Simon Moses performance should hint him that Manu Boys are good and they need games.

Iwobi has not done anything to earn a call up. ARRANGEE.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:59am On Sep 26, 2015
Ok...... Thanks for the clarification coz there were many sides to the events of that time. And Yeah, Chan is fifa-rated But not a Fifa-Grade A Tournament. It's rated Fifa grade B.

Who's Nacho agent by the way? Is he an american or something?

As for keshi, his refusal to put that incident aside and call up Nacho showed his immature and selfish ego. Did he hv to still prove he was the "Big Boss"? He's an elder and could hv overlooked certain things for the good of the nation. I like Keshi but what he did was downright immature and a lot of nigerian coaches have this flaw inspite of how tactically brilliant some of them may be.

Anyway, you've said it all. It's in the past and We have the chance to still do things right. *smiles*

TheGoodJoe:
Nacho's agent is to blame for Keshi's snub. CHAN is a FIFA rated tournament and he had a chance to break into the National team at a very young age. His agent was greedy. One month would not destroy his chance of joining Man City.

Keshi even released him and told them to sign a post dated contract and return the boy to camp and they refused.

I do not think Coach Keshi deserves a blame for this.

It is in the past and it is time to wipe the wrongs.

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:30am On Sep 26, 2015
Funny. You are right. His agent is Galliani, not sure of the spelling but he is an American. He is the one Amunike beat up at Owerri for taking Nacho.

TheSuperNerd:
Ok...... Thanks for the clarification coz there were many sides to the events of that time. And Yeah, Chan is fifa-rated But not a Fifa-Grade A Tournament. It's rated Fifa grade B.

Who's Nacho agent by the way? Is he an american or something?

As for keshi, his refusal to put that incident aside and call up Nacho showed his immature and selfish ego. Did he hv to still prove he was the "Big Boss"? He's an elder and could hv overlooked certain things for the good of the nation. I like Keshi but what he did was downright immature and a lot of nigerian coaches have this flaw inspite of how tactically brilliant some of them may be.

Anyway, you've said it all. It's in the past and We have the chance to still do things right. *smiles*

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:45am On Sep 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
International Friendlies Nigeria U23
Why Oliseh called up Iwobi - NFF VP
[/size]

Iwobi (right) has been considered ahead of Iheanacho by coach Oliseh
Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) 2ndvice president Shehu Dikko has clarified the rationale behind the invitation of Arsenal U21 star Alex Iwobi to the Super Eagles for a series of the friendlies against DR Congo and Cameroon next month.
Iwobi, 19, has been handed a late invitation by Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh.
Shehu Dikko, who is also the chairman of the Nigeria league, has now disclosed Sunday Oliseh did so for U23 coach Samson Siasia, who needs the youngster him for the U23s and he must therefore play at full international stage for Nigeria to make that happen.
"The call-up to Iwobi is simple a footballing as well technical one and for the good of the country. Iwobi has declared intention to represent Nigeria and he is good enough to represent Nigeria at U23 level. However, as he has played for England at the junior level he cannot play for Nigeria again at the junior level as FIFA would only approve his change of Nationality if he plays for the main Super Eagles,” wrote Shehu Dikko on his Facebook page.
“Therefore, his call-up now is to get his nationality change sorted and thus make him available to play for the Nigeria U23 If selected.
“Hence, Oliseh called him up on the request of Siasia who wants to use him for the U23s and by this action Nigeria will have secured his allegiance and this would also further motivate other players like him to come along.
“Finally on footballing terms, the potential of Iwobi is not in doubt based on what he did during Arsenal pre-season so in the long term this might be a very good decision for Nigeria and Iwobi."
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/570835/Why-Oliseh-called-up-Iwobi-NFF-VP

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:46am On Sep 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
International Friendlies Nigeria
Eagles surprise invitee Iwobi scores for Arsenal U21s
[/size]

Alex Iwobi scores for Arsenal U21s
Super Eagles surprise invitee Alex Iwobi was on target for Arsenal U21s on Friday when they beat Wolves U21s 3-2 to maintain their 100 per cent start to the season.
Arsenal lead the U21 League division 2 with 15 points from five games.
Iwobi scored Arsenal’s third when he capitalised on a defensive mix-up and slotted the ball past Flatt.
The Gunners recovered after Eusebio Bancessi opened the scoring for the hosts, with Chris Willock and Stephy Mavididi on target to give them the lead at half-time.
Iwobi reacted to a defensive mistake to add to the visitors' lead before Jordan Graham pulled one back to set up a tense finish.
But Arsenal held on to maintain their place at the top of the table.
He was on the bench for Arsenal main team in a 2-1 win at Tottenham in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/570794/Eagles-surprise-invitee-Iwobi-scores-for-Arsenal-U21s
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:01am On Sep 26, 2015
Nice work Sir Terzurum5. I was hoping to find this here. I believe this settles the "core" reason for Iwobi's surprise invitation. Funnily it carries my exact thoughts on the matter. *smiles* happy weekend everyone.

terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]

Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) 2ndvice president Shehu Dikko has clarified the rationale behind the invitation of Arsenal U21 star Alex Iwobi to the Super Eagles for a series of the friendlies against DR Congo and Cameroon next month.
Shehu Dikko, who is also the chairman of the Nigeria league, has now disclosed Sunday Oliseh did so for U23 coach Samson Siasia, who needs the youngster him for the U23s and he must therefore play at full international stage for Nigeria to make that happen.
"The call-up to Iwobi is simple a footballing as well technical one and for the good of the country. Iwobi has declared intention to represent Nigeria and he is good enough to represent Nigeria at U23 level. However, as he has played for England at the junior level he cannot play for Nigeria again at the junior level as FIFA would only approve his change of Nationality if he plays for the main Super Eagles,” wrote Shehu Dikko on his Facebook page.
“Therefore, his call-up now is to get his nationality change sorted and thus make him available to play for the Nigeria U23 If selected.
“Hence, Oliseh called him up on the request of Siasia who wants to use him for the U23s and by this action Nigeria will have secured his allegiance and this would also further motivate other players like him to come along.
“Finally on footballing terms, the potential of Iwobi is not in doubt based on what he did during Arsenal pre-season so in the long term this might be a very good decision for Nigeria and Iwobi."
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:38am On Sep 26, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Nice work Sir Terzurum5. I was hoping to find this here. I believe this settles the "core" reason for Iwobi's surprise invitation. Funnily it carries my exact thoughts on the matter. *smiles* happy weekend everyone.

Thanks. I congratulate the NFF VP for this timely clarification. If he had not come out this early. The face the half truth and attention the media gave this whole matter would have caused a lot of damages to all the parties involved.
Am also waiting for orkpekyandega, who was almost taking it so personal with Icon4s, as far as this matter is concerned to lay it to restgringrin

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 12:17pm On Sep 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria can qualify for Olympics – Nwosu
[/size]
By Allwell Okpi
Despite their failure to win gold at the All Africa Games in Brazzaville, Congo, a former Golden Eaglets coach, Henry Nwosu, has said the Nigeria U-23 team, coached by Samson Siasia, can qualify for the Olympics.
The boys fell short of expectations at the 2015 All Africa Games, losing 3-1 to Burkina Faso in the semi-final. They went on to win bronze beating Congo 5-3 on penalties after the third place match ended goalless.
Nwosu told our correspondent that he was surprised that the team failed to win gold, saying the boys still have what it takes to qualify for the Olympics and make an impact at the world stage.
“Judging by what I saw before the team travelled to Congo, I believe that team is a very good; a gold-winning team but unfortunately I don’t know what went wrong with them in Congo,” Nwosu said.
“It is my belief that Siasia would have seen the ills of the team. He must have seen the loopholes in the team and I’m sure he will ensure that the team is more prepared to face the challenges at the Olympics qualifying tournament.
“I’m surprised that the team couldn’t win the gold medal in Congo. The team have great potential and they can win gold at the Olympics next year, if they qualify.”
In the Olympic qualifying tournament, Senegal 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations, which is billed to start on November 28, Nigeria are in Group B alongside Egypt, Algeria and Mali.
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/nigeria-can-qualify-for-olympics-nwosu/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 12:20pm On Sep 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Tough task for U-23 team – Amao, Disu
[/size]

By Kazeem Busari
Coach of the U-23 team, Samson Siasia
It will not be an easy task for Nigeria’s U-23 team when they take on Egypt, Algeria and Mali in the CAF U-23 Nations Cup, which serves as the qualifier for the 2016 Olympics, following their struggle at the recently concluded All Africa Games in Brazzaville, Congo.
While Nigeria will play in Group B in M’Bour, hosts Senegal, South Africa, Zambia and Tunisia will battle in Group A in Dakar, and only the top three teams will be representing Africa at the Olympics. CAF U-23 Nations Cup holds from November 28 to December 12.
The team, coached by Samson Siasia, finished with the bronze medal after defeating hosts, Congo, in a penalty shootout. But they had earlier lost their semi-final encounter against Burkina Faso in an embarrassing manner, a game that revealed the frailty of the Nigeria defence and the poor marksmanship of the forwards.
The team’s assistant coach, Fatai Amao, and former international Tajudeen Disu believe Nigeria has quality players capable of helping the team qualify for the Olympics.
But Amao fears the players’ European clubs may not be willing to release them for the CAF tournament, Disu insists Manchester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho should be included in the crucial tournament.
“I’m a realist, and even when I’m optimistic about our chances, I don’t allow it to becloud my sense of judgement,” Amao said on Friday.
“Our performance in Congo is about fifty per cent of what we’re capable of. With the little I saw in Congo, Nigeria will need to do a lot more in readiness for the African championship.
“I was able to assess Senegal, being the other team in Brazzaville that will also be playing the CAF tournament. The rest are currently not important because we will not be meeting them anytime soon.
“Egypt withdrew from the All Africa Games so we were not able to assess them the way we wanted. That means we have to double our efforts if we don’t want to be surprised at the tournament in Senegal.”
Amao admitted that the team’s prowess was limited by the selection made, explaining that some players eligible for the team could not be released by their clubs.
He said, “The All Africa Games football event is not a parameter to judge how the selection will be made for the CAF Nations Cup. The Games were not on FIFA calendar so it was difficult to get the needed players for the competition,” Amao said.
“The CAF Nations Cup might have similar problems because of the FIFA affiliation. We have to make sure that the players we’re inviting for the tournament will be released by their clubs so that we don’t have selection problems at the event.
“Everybody is entitled to his opinion on what we should do in selecting players for the U-23 team. No country in the world will completely move its U-20 team to the next senior team. Most times, the different teams are managed by different coaches so a particular coach will always have his philosophy and coaching style which may not accommodate some players. This is the reason we don’t have some players from the Flying Eagles in the current U-23 team. It has nothing to do with prejudice, it’s just coaching philosophy.”
Disu, however, is incurably optimistic that Nigeria will qualify for the 2016 Olympics irrespective of the team’s performance in Brazzaville.
“There is hope of qualifying for the Olympics. I don’t know what went wrong with the team in Congo when they allowed Burkina Faso to beat them in the semi-finals. I think after they beat Ghana, they suddenly became too relaxed,” the former Abiola Babes defender said.
“Siasia must have learnt his lessons after coming out with that result. Some of the players who think they are indispensable might be shown the exit door.
“I don’t know why he did not include Iheanacho in the All Africa Games. Maybe Iheanacho declined the invitation or maybe his club did not release him, but the team missed someone of his class at the tournament.
“Siasia can’t afford not to qualify for the Olympics this time around. The failure to qualify for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations is still fresh in the minds of Nigerians so a failure to secure an Olympic ticket will not be forgiven easily.”
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/tough-task-for-u-23-team-amao-disu/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 12:30pm On Sep 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Alex Iwobi's Nigeria Call Up Has Immense Arsenal Implications
[/size]
by Josh Sippie
Arsenal has a fantastic crop of young talent. Development of that young talent is no easy feat, but first-team play is the biggest opportunity for them to progress. That first team opportunity can not always be found on a team fighting for trophies.
National team football is a huge part of any players life and a fantastic way to garner experience. Not long ago, Arsenal prospect Gedion Zelalem opted to play for the growing United States national team instead of the well-fortified German side. Zelalem was years away from a German call up. By choosing to play for a USMNT that is on the rise, Zelalem put himself in a position to be a key feature of that side. The USMNT is growing with a tremendous base of young talent. Zelalem made himself a piece of that base. The coaching staff has already pegged how special of a talent Zelalem is.
When Alex Iwobi chose Nigeria over England, the same was to be expected. The young Nigerian made the decision in January of this year, saying: “My dad too has told me a lot of things about the honour and pride that goes with playing for Nigeria. So I thought a lot about this and decided to play for Nigeria,” (via ESPNFC). Iwobi is also the nephew of Nigerian legend Jay-Jay Okocha, the man so great they named him twice.
Alex Iwobi was called up the the Nigerian national side and an immediate boost in his play would not be surprising. Gedion Zelalem has progressed more in the past couple of months spent between the USMNT and Rangers than he has in years. Iwobi will just be the latest Arsenal man to make a decision that benefits his career as a footballer.
The allure of playing for England was put aside so that Iwobi could pursue the honor of playing for his homeland. Not only is that respectable, but it has massive implications. Alex Iwobi will be able to be a key feature in a national side. And it’s not like Nigeria is a push over. They, like most of the African nations, have a proud footballing heritage and a solid side.
Alex Iwobi is going to be a part of a national team at a very young age. He will learn leadership and responsibility and be able to play against some of the best athletes in the world of football. He would not have had that opportunity for years had he stayed with England.
And who is going to be there in the world of club football to reap the benefits? Arsenal. Arsenal is going to be the proud recipient of a 19 year old attacker who has first-team experience as well as the pride of representing Nigeria. Nothing boosts a players game like pride.
Look for this to impact Iwobi’s progression just like it has impacted Zelalem’s.
[/b]

paininthearsenal.com/2015/09/25/alex-iwobis-nigeria-call-up-has-immense-arsenal-implications/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 12:33pm On Sep 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Success, Agbo In Action As Valencia Edge Granada
[/size]
—Lille Lose Without Enyeama, Gero Benched
By James Agberebi:
Nigeria junior international, Isaac Success, was in action for Granada in their 1-0 away loss to Valencia on Friday night.
FIFA U-20 World Cup Flying Eagles striker Success, who featured from the start, later made way for Congolese player, Thievy Bifouma, on 59 minutes.
The game was Success’s sixth this season, with one goal.
His Nigerian team-mate, Uche Agbo, was introduced for Javi Moreno Marquez in the 66th minute.
The only goal of the game came off Shkodran Mustafi, who struck in the 26th minute of the encounter.
In France, Lille, without the suspended Vincent Enyeama, lost 1-0 away to Reims, with Mike Maignan in goal for Lille.
The only goal of the game was scored by former Liverpool striker, David Ngog.
And in Denmark, Alhaji Gero was not called to action as he was an unused substitute in Viborg’s 1-0 home win against Aab.
He has appeared six times for Viborg this season.
The game’s only goal came from Jeppe Curth nine minutes into the second half.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/success-agbo-in-action-as-valencia-edge-granada/

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 1:54pm On Sep 26, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]

[/b]

cc BascoVanVeli, hope this makes you feel better

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 2:00pm On Sep 26, 2015
Abeg, when last did Success get a goal for Granada? I know he's been blank the past 3 games. Meanwhile, anyone who rates Bulbwa ahead of Iheanacho does not merit the title of 'experienced football expert', just had to get that out

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.