Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

No-carbs Diet In Nigeria - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / No-carbs Diet In Nigeria (21886 Views)

The Dangers Of Taking Zero Sugar/diet Coke! Urgent, Plz Read!!! / I Need Local Balance Diet / Please Help With Balance Diet Timetable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Whalewale(m): 9:18am On Oct 17, 2014
Ladies and Gentlemen I would like you to get some ideas on going on a no-carbs diet in Nigeria, considering that most of our Food is starchy and Carbohydrate mainly ..

So i would like to get suggestions on NO-carbs meals to eat for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (that isnt too expensive) in a typical Nigerian Home

Thanks
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 10:22pm On Oct 18, 2014
Well...You could try:

~ Moi-moi and Akamu for breakfast. (Don't use any oil in preparing the moi-moi though)

~ Boiled ripe plantain with fish pepper soup for lunch. Simply take out prepare without the boiled yam and palm oil sad sad

~ African salad for dinner with lots of fruits and vegetables. [s]But you'll need some form of carbs so, why not try this out with some indomie and boiled egg?[/s] Drink lots of water if you feel hunger pangs a few hours later...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 19, 2014
Brown rice and veggie stew.
Afang/edikaikong and plantain flour(unripe)
Unripe plantain porridge with lots of veggie.
Low wheat bread sandwish(use fruits)
Fish Peppersoup and agidi.

Pap and beans(low oil)
Hosts of them.

Depending on where u live, u can indulge in seasonal fruits as much as u can.
Once in a while use first water of washed bitter leave to purify ur system.

D thing is that we r so used to high carb diets we completely forgot we have better and healthy alternatives.

There r others i cant remember.
These days, i barely use oil to cook. At first it looked unachievable but now i look forward to it.

So look around u and start combining! kiss

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 12:34am On Oct 19, 2014
^^ Rice and Bread are carbs with starchy content.

@OP specifically stated "No" to carbohydrates and starchy foods...
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Whalewale(m): 1:55pm On Oct 20, 2014
Thanks Efemena and Moca

EfemenaXY:
^^ Rice and Bread are carbs with starchy content.
@OP specifically stated "No" to carbohydrates and starchy foods...

She said brown rice and Wheat bread... Those have low or no carbs...

moca:
Brown rice and veggie stew.
Afang/edikaikong and plantain flour(unripe)
Unripe plantain porridge with lots of veggie.
Low wheat bread sandwish(use fruits)
Fish Peppersoup and agidi.
kiss

Pls what is agidi?

Also, is fried dodo and egg good for a no-carbs diet?
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:51am On Oct 21, 2014
Whalewale:

Thanks Efemena and Moca

She said brown rice and Wheat bread... Those have low or no carbs...

Pls what is agidi?

Also, is fried dodo and egg good for a no-carbs diet?

Agidi is like pap but d thick type,wrapped mainly in green leaves.
People use it to eat akara,pepersoup or even okro or veggie soup.

Which one is fried dodo? Is that akara?
Egg, when scrambled is better than d fried egg we normally eat. Best when cooked(I hate d smell sha)
Not good for adult but great for children.

When fried, its no longer a low carb diet.
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Whalewale(m): 8:40am On Oct 21, 2014
moca:

Which one is fried dodo? Is that akara?

Dodo is also called plantain..

Though i can now see that any thing that's "Fried" is a no-go area for a no-carbs diet
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 21, 2014
Whalewale:

Dodo is also called plantain..

Though i can now see that any thing that's "Fried" is a no-go area for a no-carbs diet
Ok! I now remember!

No,its not good. If u can, abstain from frying as much as u can. I don't fry my tomato for stew and u will never notice.
I don't add oil either. The small oil remaining on d chicken(after draining d water and oil first)is ok for me to make my stew.
I don't add salt while cooking rice too( plain)

We learn everyday.
Thank u.

1 Like

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Lilimax(f): 11:47am On Oct 21, 2014
EfemenaXY:
Well...You could try:

~ Moi-moi and Akamu for breakfast. (Don't use any oil in preparing the moi-moi though)

~ Boiled ripe plantain with fish pepper soup for lunch. Simply take out prepare without the boiled yam and palm oil sad sad

~ African salad for dinner with lots of fruits and vegetables. [s]But you'll need some form of carbs so, why not try this out with some indomie and boiled egg?[/s] Drink lots of water if you feel hunger pangs a few hours later...

But Akamu contains carbohydrate smiley
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Whalewale(m): 4:06pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lilimax:
But Akamu contains carbohydrate smiley

True... Its really hard to do a strictly no-Carbs diet here in Naija. If you are able to pull it off, i think you would have to spend a lot of money.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 21, 2014
OP, all you need is low carbs... you need all the essential nutrients to be able to be sound mentally.

I tried no carbs for three days once, i had this terrible headache in addition to bittter taste and felt so sick.

YOu need a balanced diet. Consider going for low carbs

4 Likes

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 22, 2014
Exactly chilli,
There is no how one can go on no carb anywhere in d world. If u remove carbohydrate, ur body will convert the protein u hv or eat to carb in d long run and d consequence is dire.

Just eat all in moderation. Period.

4 Likes

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by 9jatatafo(m): 7:21pm On Oct 22, 2014
You make wheat as pap, add little milk, salt and drink it is very good then with moi moi
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by cookie27: 6:56pm On Oct 23, 2014
The no-carb diet is actually very possible. I used it to lose about 27kg of fat. At my heaviest, I was 88kg. Now, i'm around 60-61kg.
There are people whom I meet who still can't believe the transformation. Lol. But i've got the pictures to prove it.

All it takes is determination and a lot of guts and will-power cos your body will test you.

The principle behind it is to force your body to look inwards for alternative sources of energy without the ingesting of carbohydrates which it is used to. When you cut out carbs, your body has to switch to another source of energy to continue functioning. This source is usually the stored fat in the body. That's what it will burn to keep you going in your daily activities.

My diet consisted of something like:

2 fried eggs for breakfast with half a cup of mixed veggies: cabbage, tomatoes, onions. And lots of water.

2 or three pieces of fried fish or chicken or beef for lunch. Same for dinner.

Sometimes, i'd just eat a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or mayonnaise between meals or with my meals. (yes it's an odd diet).

The major downside that I experienced was the lack of variety in my meals. Imagine giving up rice, amala, beand, spaghetti, noodles, yam, garri, etc. It's a very boring diet, but it's worth it.

Also, because your body is deprived of carbohydrates, it's initially gonna kick against this new routine. So during the first 3 days to a week, you're gonna feel veeeeeeery weak. Because your body hasn't yet recognized the new source of energy. So it's basically gonna be complaining. But if you can force yourself to scale that first week, you're home free.

Please note that beans and all kinds of fruits aren't allowed. Beans are a heavy source of carbs even if everyone thinks they are proteinous. They have more carbs than proteins. Fruits also have carbs in the form of fruit sugar (fructose) so they are a no-no.

In fact, stay away from almost anything that you can get from a plant except the leaves and certain other vegetables e.g peppers and tomatoes. But even those must be taken in moderation.

Other things that you can eat are nuts e.g peanuts, peanut butter, almonds, cashews, coconut.

Also note that a no-carb diet must be high in fat. Otherwise you could suffer from something called "rabbit starvation" which is deadly. Carbs and fat must not be in the same proportion in a diet. Our regular diet is high in carbs, that's why the doctors tell us to cut down on fat. But if you're cutting out carbs, you must significantly increase your fat intake. But use the "good" fat like olive oil and coconut oil.

And remember to drink lots of water.

Goodluck.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Whalewale(m): 10:02am On Oct 30, 2014
cookie27:
The no-carb diet is actually very possible. I used it to lose about 27kg of fat. At my heaviest, I was 88kg. Now, i'm around 60-61kg.

Nice achievement.. Any pictures?

cookie27:
Beans are a heavy source of carbs even if everyone thinks they are proteinous. They have more carbs than proteins.

ohh I didnt know this.
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by ovalrose(f): 12:56pm On Oct 30, 2014
Woah. Losing weight aint easy o.
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 9:55am On Nov 03, 2014
cookie27:
There are people whom I meet who still can't believe the transformation. Lol. But i've got the pictures to prove it.

All it takes is determination and a lot of guts and will-power cos your body will test you.

The principle behind it is to force your body to look inwards for alternative sources of energy without the ingesting of carbohydrates which it is used to. When you cut out carbs, your body has to switch to another source of energy to continue functioning. This source is usually the stored fat in the body. That's what it will burn to keep you going in your daily activities.

2 fried eggs for breakfast with half a cup of mixed veggies: cabbage, tomatoes, onions. And lots of water.

Sometimes, i'd just eat a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or mayonnaise between meals or with my meals. (yes it's an odd diet).

The major downside that I experienced was the lack of variety in my meals. Imagine giving up rice, amala, beand, spaghetti, noodles, yam, garri, etc. It's a very boring diet, but it's worth it.

Also, because your body is deprived of carbohydrates, it's initially gonna kick against this new routine. So during the first 3 days to a week, you're gonna feel veeeeeeery weak. Because your body hasn't yet recognized the new source of energy. So it's basically gonna be complaining. But if you can force yourself to scale that first week, you're home free.

Please note that beans and all kinds of fruits aren't allowed. Beans are a heavy source of carbs even if everyone thinks they are proteinous. They have more carbs than proteins. Fruits also have carbs in the form of fruit sugar (fructose) so they are a no-no.

In fact, stay away from almost anything that you can get from a plant except the leaves and certain other vegetables e.g peppers and tomatoes. But even those must be taken in moderation.

Other things that you can eat are nuts e.g peanuts, peanut butter, almonds, cashews, coconut.

Also note that a no-carb diet must be high in fat. Otherwise you could suffer from something called "rabbit starvation" which is deadly. Carbs and fat must not be in the same proportion in a diet. Our regular diet is high in carbs, that's why the doctors tell us to cut down on fat. But if you're cutting out carbs, you must significantly increase your fat intake. But use the "good" fat like olive oil and coconut oil.

Goodluck.

How long did it take you to achieve this?
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by cookie27: 12:07pm On Nov 03, 2014
About 4 months, give or take. Combined with exercise (doesn't have to be rigorous; any light form of extra movement will do).

In the first week when your body hasn't yet recognized this new "modus operandi", you can lose up to 5kg. But don't rejoice yet. This weight isn't fat. It's basically water. It's the glycogen that's in your muscles the body first draws upon whilst trying to adjust.

When your body runs out of all its stored glycogen, then it begins to dump the fat. But only as long as it doesn't receive any external source of it's prefered source of enerygy (which is carbs). So as long as you continue to not eat carbohydrates, it steadily draws upon its fat stores for energy (for both its basal metabolic activities and for the exercise).

In the next two-four weeks, you can lose about 2-3kg per week depending on the intensity of your daily activities, sometimes even without exercise.

In subsequent weeks, your body will have adjusted to this new method. It's no longer deprived and desperate for energy, so it begins to regulate the rate at which it burns the fat. So your fat loss can drop to about 1.5kg per week.

The fun part is that after the first two weeks, when your body now begins to accept this new system and you no longer feel tired everyday, your energy levels go up significantly. The best part is that you don't even feel hungry the way you would on a carb-based diet. I guess it's cos your body doesn't really depend on the external source of energy. So it doesn't feel a need to send out hunger pangs as frequently.

It's always a good idea to not start any form of exercise routine until the first two weeks have passed and the dizzy spells have subsided. I started the diet when I was on a break from school and work. So everytime I felt tired during that adjustment phase (which was basically EVERY time), i'd just take a nap rather than cave in to the temptation of consuming sugar for that immediate energy. So I basically hibernated for two weeks. Lol.

But after that, everything became business as usual. I took up exercise (walked about 3km every morning; just a moderate pace, no jogging or running).

And the rest is history.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by damola1: 7:11am On Jul 07, 2016
Is ofada rice no carb or low carb
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Baroba(m): 8:25pm On Jul 08, 2016
damola1:
Is ofada rice no carb or low carb

All rice are carbs, whether na Ofada or polished Thai rice...

1 Like

Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Adesiji77: 10:59pm On Aug 07, 2016
Nice thread, educative

@cookie27: Your posts are inspiring. Thank you smiley
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Yewandequeen(f): 11:03pm On Aug 07, 2016
Adesiji77:
Nice thread, educative

@cookie27: Your posts are inspiring. Thank you smiley

As if you can pull it off.

Yinmu
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by graciousme(f): 3:47pm On Aug 08, 2016
Hello food lovers,

My name is Kemi Oladipo. I recently completed a course on 'Biosafety of plant Biotechnology' at Marche Polytechnic University,Ancona,Italy.

I am currently conducting a survey on the 'Readiness of Nigerians for the commercialization of genetically modified crops in Nigeria'. I am using the social media and other associated entities to share the survey.
I will your support and provide you a medium to express your opinion about genetically modified foods in Nigeria. Please find the link to the survey below.

Available to answer any question. Kind regards,

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLvbgIbUnannWQCz01AW8FIVT1aq4JCba1ki6lQV84QAcKBQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

Kemi
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by SURElee(f): 10:32am On Aug 30, 2016
cookie27:

Goodluck.

You don't have tho give up rice, just switch to brown, bssmati or ofada rice with plenty of veggies.
Amala should be made from plantain flour and alwasysd eaten with oiless okro soup
Unripe plantain boiled with oiless steamed vegetables, greens, carrots, cabbage, lettuce etc
Sweet potato boiled with veggies no oil
No fried foods
Drink 3 litres of water daily
Do skipping exercises.
Take boiled ginger water and lemon first thing in the morning on empty stomach
Drink at least 3 cups of green tea daily
Re: No-carbs Diet In Nigeria by Whalewale(m): 1:21pm On Sep 15, 2016
SURElee:

You don't have tho give up rice, just switch to brown, bssmati or ofada rice with plenty of veggies.
Amala should be made from plantain flour and alwasysd eaten with oiless okro soup
Unripe plantain boiled with oiless steamed vegetables, greens, carrots, cabbage, lettuce etc
Sweet potato boiled with veggies no oil
No fried foods
Drink 3 litres of water daily
Do skipping exercises.
Take boiled ginger water and lemon first thing in the morning on empty stomach
Drink at least 3 cups of green tea daily

Thanks surelee.. nice one there

(1) (Reply)

FG Bans Fish Importation / Poundo Yam Or Pounded Yam? / Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.