Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,420 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Child Witches Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Child Witches Of Nigeria (6304 Views)

Witches Advise Rivers Governor Wike.'pray Harder Not To Lose.' / Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration / Cnn Condemns Pastor Helen Ukpabio For Attacking Child Witches In Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 2:53pm On Nov 13, 2008
Last night I watched a VERY disturbing documentary on Channel 4 about the child witches in Akwa Ibom. I have never been so shocked in my life!! Follow this thread and have your say:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/3407882/Child-witches-of-Nigeria-seek-refuge.html

I used to get extremely defensive when a foreigner called Africans 'BARBARIC'. After what I saw last night, indeed Africans can be barbaric at times. I was even annoyed because the 'topic' was not kept in context. They called it: 'Saving AFRICA's Child Witches'. They sould have just replaced AFRICA with NIGERIA! This shit dont happen in South Africa. Never in a million years did I see/hear of children as young as 2, being accused of witchcraft!

MADNESS!!!!
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 13, 2008
ttt
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 3:13pm On Nov 13, 2008
Chaircover

I have a 3 year old son myself and I was CRYING for those poor children that were abused and ostracised. In one clip, a pastor made a 5 year old child drink
100% alcohol mixed with his (pastor) blood. I just screamed. A mother cannot live with her innocent child fearing that she will be killed because she is called a witch! The way that they beat up those kids?? And yet they call themselves Christians?? What is wrong with these people??

Where are the educated Nigerians?? You have to do something about this NOW! Its a shame that a 29 year old BRITISH man is putting his life on the line to save these kids. What are YOU Nigerians doing about this.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 3:16pm On Nov 13, 2008
We'll do something when SAs like yourself stop your perverts from raping babies in the quest of "curing" Aids
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 3:22pm On Nov 13, 2008
@Karmamod: Lets not derail please.  If you have NOTHING to contribute to this, PISS off please. Its not about SA!!!

At least it is KNOWN that we have psycos is SA and SOMETHING is being done about it! The GOVERNMENT is fully involved. The victims get all the help they need to get through their ordeal. The perpetrators are jailed and given appropriate punishment. In Nigeria's case, NO one has been arrested for this. The so called Bishops who accuse this kids are still scot free. It took MONTHS for the governor in Nigeria to respond on the child witched complaints.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2008
SOMETHING is being done about it! The GOVERNMENT is fully involved

Proof?

where are the moderators sef? There are 3 topics about the same thing. Repeat topics arent allowed
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by morpheus24: 3:45pm On Nov 13, 2008
Does anyone have a link to the documentay on channel 4 . I would like to see it
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 13, 2008
h
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 3:56pm On Nov 13, 2008
morpheus24:

Does anyone have a link to the documentay on channel 4 . I would like to see it

The links are in the authentic thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-194989.0.html
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by morpheus24: 4:19pm On Nov 13, 2008
Some of this people are lucky that assault weapons are illegal in Naija. you would have been hearing about pastors and evangelical preachers dropping dead at random from unknown gun shot wounds.

Imbeciles!!!
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by tpia: 4:27pm On Nov 13, 2008
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 5:09pm On Nov 13, 2008
and she wonders why i brought up SA. Ode.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by naijaking1: 5:36pm On Nov 13, 2008
@Poster
My heart goes out to those innocent children. I'm embarrassed, ashamed, and even angry with what's going on. We are beginning to cannibalize our children because of economic hardship, and in the name of pseudo-religion.

We heard about missionary Mary Scelessor saving twins around southern Nigeria in the late 1800s, now we need an educated government to enforce child protection and welfare acts, otherwise our future as nation would be in jeopardy.

See similar thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-193533.0.html
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 5:51pm On Nov 13, 2008
@ poster

lets talk about hiv, serious menace u know
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by naijaking1: 6:22pm On Nov 13, 2008
ikeyman00:

@ poster

lets talk about hiv, serious menace u know

Open another thread, this one is for abused children.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 7:15pm On Nov 13, 2008
@tpia: Easier said than DONE!! No ARRESTS have been made yet!

@Ikeyman and Karmamod: Keep it in context or open up a new thread!
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 7:18pm On Nov 13, 2008
no we cant there are lots of thread about this stuff already

lets talk about HIV prevalence in south africa
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 7:19pm On Nov 13, 2008
Open another thread, this one is for abused children.
hmm
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by okunoba(m): 7:25pm On Nov 13, 2008
Angel  
this problem exist in many African countries not only Nigeria. There have been documentaries showing children in the Congo, Kenya even Africans in England abusing kids that have been accused of witch craft. The whole issue is about Africans being superstitious, that is why we all belong to some church, mosque or a cult. I agree, the programme should have been called Nigeria child witches.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by naijaking1: 7:27pm On Nov 13, 2008
ikeyman00:

no we can't there are lots of thread about this stuff already

lets talk about HIV prevalence in south africa

You just want to divert attention from this important and serious issue? The health section is about HIV, AIDS, go check it out, and stop confusing issues.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 7:42pm On Nov 13, 2008
You just want to divert attention from this important and serious issue? The health section is about HIV, AIDS, go check it out, and stop confusing issues.

which kind king bi this? undecided
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by alphabeta(f): 8:10pm On Nov 13, 2008
I watched the program as well and it was really saddening and so unfortunate that this is happening in Akwa Ibom.  All boils down to poverty and ignorance I would say. So sad.

I do think though that the program should have been titled 'Saving Akwa-Ibom or Nigeria's Witch Children' rather than the 'Saving Africa's Witch Children'. One is bound to get the impression that the incident happened continent-wide. Don't these folks ever get it that African is not a country and stop lumping us together like that. Imagine an African media reporting something like 'Saving European drunken kids from booze' in response to the binge drinking culture in Britain.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by tpia: 8:16pm On Nov 13, 2008
unfortunately, it does happen continent wide.

This particular incident was reported in a particular part of Nigeria, but the phenomenon is much wider than just that area. The degrees of torture  may be different, however.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by alphabeta(f): 8:21pm On Nov 13, 2008
Yes I understand it might happen in some other African countries but I beg to disagree that this is continent wide without adequate proof.

My emphasis still is on the fact that the program only shows an incident in one state in Nigeria and yet the title generalises with 'Africa' as if the program covers incidents in multiple African countries to justify the continental title.

Very much the similar way in which someone living in lagos for instance might (either out of ignorance or deliberately) lump together people from Ogoja, Etinan, Calabar, Oron, Eket, Ikot-Ekpene etc as 'Calabar men' when in reality there is no basis for such grouping.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 8:23pm On Nov 13, 2008
listen this thread should cavassin for hiv awareness

all this blah blah nawo
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 8:50pm On Nov 13, 2008
Angelheart:

@Ikeyman and Karmamod: Keep it in context or open up a new thread!

Should have thought of that when you uttered this BS

They called it: 'Saving AFRICA's Child Witches'. They sould have just replaced AFRICA with NIGERIA! This shit don't happen in South Africa

South Africans of all people yarning rubbish about barbarians. Stop giving infants your "gift" of Aids and we'll start taking you seriously.

Also In the original thread about this, it's been shown that this madness also happens in Congo, Angola, Togo, so your stupid comment was out of line.

Its one thing to want to GENUINELY discuss this martter, it's another to use it as a way to bash Nigerians. Once again, SAs of all people.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 9:08pm On Nov 13, 2008
alphabeta:

My emphasis still is on the fact that the program only shows an incident in one state in Nigeria and yet the title generalises with 'Africa' as if the program covers incidents in multiple African countries to justify the continental title.

Sisi Jinx:

Children Accused fo Witchcraft in ANGOLA

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biizGmwZkDY&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Sisi Jinx:

Children of Congo: From War to Witches

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew4rd1YyD7A&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

As you can see, it's an AFRICAN PROBLEM. . . God save us from religious zealots!! angry

There are a couple on youtube from Kenya and other African countries as well

so YES they were right in calling it an AFRICAN problem.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 9:12pm On Nov 13, 2008
@poster
think we should get things in perspective here,the witchcraft thing is prevalent in the totality of africa,so singling out nigeria because of a flawed documentary isnt doing justice to the seriousness, looking through the poster's comment i think your objective is to use this sad occurence to score cheap shots, all through the lenght and breadth of africa they including south africa,are struggling with same problems concerning children and even with that programme,to the governor's credit he passed the kid's bill or law or whaeva into law like he promised though he hasnt come through on funding, i  personally think the pentecostal church in that state should share in the blame because they have abandoned their soial responsibility seeing as they/one of their members ignited the whole thing
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by redsun(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2008
It is a disgrace to humanity,after watching the channel 4 programme last night,i felt so humble and  ashame today,that my people could still be so daft,i really want to go back there,i will be like magic.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 10:41pm On Nov 13, 2008
Took Channel 4 for most of you to realize the bullshit fake rural churches are teaching these people?

Seriously?
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by tpia: 11:36pm On Nov 13, 2008
alphabeta:

Yes I understand it might happen in some other African countries but I beg to disagree that this is continent wide without adequate proof.

Very much the similar way in which someone living in lagos for instance might (either out of ignorance or deliberately) lump together people from Ogoja, Etinan, Calabar, Oron, Eket, Ikot-Ekpene etc as 'Calabar men' when in reality there is no basis for such grouping.

black people and especially African people, have more in common than just skin color.

So yes, its a continent thing, not just a Nigerian thing. BBC and various other sites have run run documentaries on this problem of Africans branding young children as witches- it doesnt happen only in Nigeria. Check out the videos Karmamod posted.

As I stated somewhere before, poverty and poverty mentality can lead to a lot of other things due to this fear of the metaphysical which pervades the African mind.

Are you African?
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 11:41am On Nov 14, 2008
ikeyman00:

listen this thread should cavassin for hiv awareness

all this blah blah nawo

Ok then, OPEN up a thread, and we shall make a contribution

@ Topic

To be truthful, it was the FIRST time i saw or heard of something like this in my ENTIRE life. African countries are hardly ever shown these doncumentaries. They are normaly broadcasted int he WEST. AT times, it is to taint our image but in MOST cases, it is to alert the western worlds about what is happening in Africa.

The man that started that 'charity' for those children is really putting his life on the line.  I strongly believe that EDUCATED Nigerians should budge in and help him out. There are loads of rich Nigerians spread out globally. While the government is 'trying' to sort out this issue (As they claim), I think those kids could do with better living conditions. I'm a full time student and can you believe that after the programme, I called the number that was supplied and pledged to make a small contribution every month??  Those kids are HELPLESS and INNOCENT. I'm a mother myself and I believe that NO child should suffer under the hands of such BARBARIANS!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Current Chronic Theft In Nigeria Banking System / SEC Denies Offering Herman Hembe ₦30M Bribe / How Did The Corrupt Millitary govts Managed To Build These National Assets?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.