Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,604 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:33 AM

Child Witches Of Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Child Witches Of Nigeria (6461 Views)

Witches Advise Rivers Governor Wike.'pray Harder Not To Lose.' / Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration / Cnn Condemns Pastor Helen Ukpabio For Attacking Child Witches In Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 3:12pm On Nov 14, 2008
any contributions from you and the "rich South Africans" for the Aids infected babies?
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 4:05pm On Nov 14, 2008
lucabrasi:

@poster
think we should get things in perspective here,the witchcraft thing is prevalent in the totality of africa,so singling out nigeria because of a flawed documentary isnt doing justice to the seriousness, looking through the poster's comment i think your objective is to use this sad occurence to score cheap shots, all through the lenght and breadth of africa they including south africa,are struggling with same problems concerning children and even with that programme,to the governor's credit he passed the kid's bill or law or whaeva into law like he promised though he hasnt come through on funding, i  personally think the pentecostal church in that state should share in the blame because they have abandoned their soial responsibility seeing as they/one of their members ignited the whole thing

@ Luca: I'm not trying to score any cheap shots at all. I was just SHOCKED. Much as as many members of this forum have been making bellicose and belligrent utterances about the HIV issues we have amongst children in SA, measures are being taken. We have so many NGO's which are supporting the children/orphans who are afftected and infected by HIV. Comparing their living conditions to those of the 'so called child witches', man they get 5 star treatment. Yes, we are still fighting to bring the stats down but in the mean time, we are not forsaking them.

What I was trying to say here is that there are so many educated and quite well to do Nigerians who can work with the government to curb these barbaric acts and who can try to make life easy for those unfortunate children.

When I got to the laboratory today, almost all all my colleagues had seen this documentarty two nights ago.  I am so HAPPY because I managed to convince 2 of them to ALSO contribute to this course.  I was DEEPLY touched.

People should stop haemorrhaging stupidity by trying to divulge.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Epiphany(m): 4:24pm On Nov 14, 2008
Ok. I watched the program too and indeed i was shocked. I have also read everyones arguement and i am 'pleased' to say that we all have valid points. To those who thing that Angelheart was trying to score some cheap points, good - because at first i thot so myself. Eventually, i can understand where she is coming from. I have a little girl too and when the program was on, i felt very bad. I kept looking at my little girl, wondering what on earth will make me do to her, what those IDIOTS on the program were doing to their children.

Not wanting to digress from the arguements, i would say that Africa has a rich, varied and very complex historical past. Needless to say that, ALL OF AFRICA HAS AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER (EVEN NOW) exhibited some archaic and barbaric behaviour. The issue of Slavery still exists today (Sudan, Eritiria, Ethiopia, etc), rape and indiscriminate killing is still rampant (South Africa, Congo) Wars and Ethinic cleansing, etc ARE STILL VERY MUCH AROUND. It is unfortunate that Nigeria was picked as the last scapegoat by channel 4.

That said, having lived in different parts of Nigeria for years and having mingled with the most 'ordinary' people in society (in some villages not even on maps) i can say that the culture of WITCH CHILDREN is not in ALL parts of Nigeria. I stand to be correctd, but i am inclined to say that the behaviour we witnessed on that program may be the characteristic of only a few small villages in Akwa Ibom, or Cross River or some other states. It is equally unfortunate that the Western Media (in their usual stupid and un-educated way) labelled what happens in on little itsy bitsy village or at most, a few villages - as an occurence that happens all over Africa.

My people, there is no need to get upset about a South African 'talkling down on us' when they have their own problems in SA because i am sure that she knows that they do have problems. Let us all do the little we can do to stop these things and not fight ourselves about why another african is concerned about what is happening in Naija. Afterall, when the Kenyans were killing themselves over the elections etc, I was equally concerned by what i saw on tv. When the congolese are doing the same, i am also concerned about what happens to the women and children!
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 4:28pm On Nov 14, 2008
About the HIV issues we have amongst children in SA, measures are being taken.

PROOF?

Epiphany,

She ruined this "discussion" in the beginning with her IDIOTIC remark of how this isnt about Africa and just Nigeria and how Nigerians are barbarians because this has never happened in SA.

There's no way I'm going to take her FAKE concern for this issue seriously after uttering such BS.

If not for the whites SA would be worse than it already is. No wonder they are screaming for Apartheid to come back.

TWO MONTHS after Oprah opened that school for them, there was cases of molestation and abuse of the students which made oprah cry openly on TV. Yet this one is trying to yarn dust about Nigeria. Ori e o pe.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Epiphany(m): 4:48pm On Nov 14, 2008
KarmaMod:

PROOF?

Epiphany,

She ruined this "discussion" in the beginning with her IDIOTIC remark of how this isnt about Africa and just Nigeria and how Nigerians are barbarians because this has never happened in SA.

There's no way I'm going to take her FAKE concern for this issue seriously after uttering such BS.

If not for the whites SA would be worse than it already is. No one they are screaming for Apartheid to come back.

TWO MONTHS after Oprah opened that school for them, there was cases of molestation and abuse of the students which made oprah cry openly on TV. Yet this one is trying to yarn dust about Nigeria. Ori e o pe.

Hahahahaha. Well, having read her introduction again, i can honestly say that i CAN actually see some of what you are speaking about in there. It is as if she is telling the readers and viewers of the show, 'hey, this does not happen in SA, so please limit your thoughts to Nigeria alone'.

But na im i dey tell una say make una no kill am jare. She obviously knows that in SA they also have MAJOR issues so her 'throwing stones' at Nigerians will not do her any good. This is an African thing and ALL OF AFRICA IS TROUBLED.

My broda, e go better for us.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 4:51pm On Nov 14, 2008
HIV AWARENESS !! CHAKAKA CHAKAK HMM what this mean, just tryin to speak s-africa language
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 5:17pm On Nov 14, 2008
Well, believe what you want to believe.  The difference between myself and most of you people in here is that, I am NOT in denial.  I do acknowledge that we have our own problems in SA. The beauty of it all is that the problems ate NOT only adressed but, action is being taken. Something that NIgerians should learn. PASSING the bill alone, will not save those children.

@ Karmamod (IF YOU INSIST)

http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/aids-africa/projects-by-country/aids-south-africa.htm

http://www.isisa.co.za/isisa/aids/default.htm

http://www.noahorphans.org.za/

To drive the point home FURTHER:

http://www.charities.org.za/

Can someone send me information/link where this non-sense is happening in South Africa please. I do know we are notorious for torching innocent foreigners, high crime rate, etc. But to call children WITCHES Hmmmm,
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by LadyT(f): 5:19pm On Nov 14, 2008
Angelheart:

Well, believe what you want to believe. The difference between myself and most of you people in here is that, I am NOT in denial. I do acknowledge that we have our own problems in SA. The beauty of it all is that the problems ate NOT only adressed but, action is being taken. Something that NIgerians should learn. PASSING the bill alone, will not save those children.

@ Karmamod (IF YOU INSIST)

http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/aids-africa/projects-by-country/aids-south-africa.htm

http://www.isisa.co.za/isisa/aids/default.htm

http://www.noahorphans.org.za/

To drive the point home FURTHER:

http://www.charities.org.za/

Shut up please.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 5:45pm On Nov 14, 2008
That's right, An expected RESPONSE! Be rude all you like. The crux of the matter HERE, is that those KIDS need help! We are doing something about the problems that we have in SA, WHat are the NIGERIANS doing. Stop being defensive a beg!

I wish most of you could drop out of the University of Willful Ignorence. Seriously.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 6:59pm On Nov 14, 2008
@angelheart
while i totally agree that it was heart rending seeing the channel 4 programme on child witches,you must also agree if we are to start scoring points then south africa is as bad as nigeria on the whole, remember the minister who knowingly had sex with an hiv positive girl and said he had a bath straight after so that he wouldnt contract aids?also the prison crisis in south africa and the murmurings amongst the brown south africans,  i can dig up some links for you,thats not even talking about the obvious hiv pandemic ,violence e.t.c
how will you feel if south african crime rate was judged based on  a single occurence for instance the death of lucky dube?

you claim measures are being taken in connection with the hiv issue but you totally ignored the part of the programme where the governor of the state promised to sign the child cruelty act into law,which the programme acknowledged and they also didint wait to see if he sent the funding he promised, wouldnt you call that measures?moreover before making subjectiveand unreasonable assertions,you ought to have checked if the nigerian government are doing anything at all,if funding have been commited and most important if this menance is occurent in just a small village in a state or rampant all over nigeria before coming to your conclusions,
you claim hiv victims get 5 start treatment compared to nigerian kids,so i guess you are comparing kids (in that situation)all over nigeria not up to 10,000 to hiv victims and their children in south africa running into millions if not tens of millions, where is the basis for comparison?
there are numerous child orphanages in nigeria catering to these children though enough still needs being done,for clarification and to help balance your subjective view of treatment of children in nigeria check this out, www.linkachild.org its an umbrella for a coalition of children's charities you can also goggle the old woman in her nineties madam ekundayo who takes careof motherless children e.t.c there are a lot more orphanages that are government funded but mostly do not have working websites, i know all this because my sister and brother in law adopted 3 children at different intervals in nigeria and i was privy to their researches,

while i diagree on your subjective view about the plight of these children in nigeria,i however agree with you totally on your last couple of paragraphs,we nigerians are our own worst enemies,as it took A 29 YEAR OLD ENGLISHMAN to point out the obvious to us,something we all have collectively turned a blind eye to,i was one of the people blaming channel 4 untill i thought about it, how many of teenagers to nigerian diasporans in their 20s and 30s upwards will willingly or have willingly gone back to nigeria to do their bit for charity and the most vulnerable?
rather than lashing out at criticisms(includn myself)i think this should be a catalyst for us to rethink our priorities and how patriotic and commited to nigeria we really are, having said that,same goes for you and other sa as well a lot of the so called "5 start treatment" hiv victims receive in south africa,are not south african initiatives but mandela's 4664 charity, mandela's standing n the international community and his own personal loss to hiv helped bring in foreign aid,foreign celebrities e.t.c so its not like a south african affair doing all that all by themselves, don't forget we are doing ours as well without outside help, again go and google this day music festival by nduka obiagbena, the last one was held just last month or so in new york,london hyde park and nigeria and was attended by celebrities such as naomi campbell,ozwald boateng e.t.c we v had virtually any hip hop artiste u can mention like beyonce,jay z,p diddy,alicia keys,50 cent name it all for charity and a vision of ONE MAN just like mandela's vision, he is way younger than mandela so u ca imagine what he ll do in around 20 years plus when he ll be mandela's age
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 7:00pm On Nov 14, 2008
I am NOT in denial.  I do acknowledge that we have our own problems in SA

If you werent you wouldnt have said the garbage that you did. Something that was shown as an AFRICAN problem. You tried to make it seem like it's just a Nigerian issue despite the fact that it's been shown that this pathetic situation also happens in other African countries.

You might be fooling others with the fake sympathy, Not me.

There are many other people on here discussing this issue. They are ones worth taking seriously, not you trying to take cheap shots at Nigeria. SA of all people. ilu oshi
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 7:03pm On Nov 14, 2008
you claim measures are being taken in connection with the hiv issue but you totally ignored the part of the programme where the governor of the state promised to sign the chil cruelty act into law,which the programme acknowledged and they also didint wait to see if he send the funding he promised, wouldnt you call that measures?moreover before making a subjectiveand unreasonable assertions,you ought to have checked if the nigerian government are doing anything at all,if funding have been commited and most important if this menance is occurent in just a small village in a state or rampant all over nigeria before coming to your conclusions,

Why would she check things out when she's busy feeling funky ontop the 5 cents she donated.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by blackspade(m): 12:50am On Nov 15, 2008
This is horrible. I read about this type of stuff in American Literature, but the last time this happened in America was in the 17th century! Hopefully this is more evidence why education is badly needed in a society, especially amongst these so-called 'preachers' who decide to call innocent children witches.

But, this is not unique to Nigeria. If one were to actually do some research before typing (Angelheart), you would see these types of stories played out in Angola, Kenya, Mocambique, Cameroon, DR Congo, and other countries that have large populations of people practicing indigenous religions.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by naijacutee(f): 4:46am On Nov 16, 2008
This is apalling. That someone points out a situation that is so horrible and yet, all people are concerened about is their egos/which-is-worse-Nigeria-or-SA. I'm disgusted. No wonder, we have to wait for foreigners to come from abroad to come and fix problems for us. Very disgusting.

I agree with you, Angelheart. Educated Nigerians should do more about matters like this, and stop abdicating responsibility and leaving it all to the foreigners. We sit on our asses, collecting foreign currency in other peoples lands, yet we have children dying everyday in Nigeria for no just cause. Yes, we are guilty for not doing more. We are very very very guilty  (Myself included) - Whether we accept the fact or not!

How do we help?

Shutting up with the name calling would be a good start. If you haven't seen the video, then click on the link and watch it. And then decide for yourself, if it is of your own making that you were not born to an ignorant mother in Akwa-Ibom who believed you were a witch, and proceeded to allow "pastors" put nails into your head and handicap you for life.

I think we need to start looking into getting involved (in whatever way) with more charitable organisations that address this issue. Whether by donating cash (http://www.justgiving.com/witchchildren), time or even physically doing something for these kids - who could have been you.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by pcmecom(m): 7:26am On Nov 16, 2008
Some of the documentaries conducted in Africa by western journalist tend to be over-exaggerated.I watched the documentary on channel 4,and I personally liked the response "Helen ukapio" gave to the female journalist.As far as I am concerned "witches" are everywhere in the globe including ENGLAND and AMERCIA. Africa has its problems and I respect that, they should STOP making the African continent look like a "dark and evil continent"
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by redsun(m): 9:10am On Nov 16, 2008
It is just no more horrendous than muti,albinos and animal killings for rituals and sacrifices in other parts of africa,but the fact remains that it's an african thing and they are all barbaric and useless,thus the title,african children.

We live in a world of magic in what is suppose to be real.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 12:25pm On Nov 16, 2008
@naijacutee
a few sturvs to point out here,if you check the poster's use of words,you will discover she was not emphatising but actually using the incident to take pot shots at nigeria and nigerians hence the negative comments by others towards her.
secondly donating cash might be counter productive,corruption is endemic and in the very fabric of our society generally and dont be suprised some "big man" nigerian co ordinator will collect all that money and just gve the children eba and one piece of meat,using the rest of the money for himself and his family
@pcmecon
how many of the american or british children have they tortured with mecury water and cut their bodies or abandoned in the road at 5 years old?im sorry but the helen ukpabio was just needlessly whipping up sentiments rather than facing the real issue,
in your own opinion,does it make any sense to write tat parents should watch out for children who cry in the midle of the night as witches??
same as her film demonising children as potential witches,
have you ever asked yourself why almost all the so called witches and wizards are mainlythe vulnerable in our society??would anyone step to u and call u a witch to ur face?they know you are young(presumably)and will prolly slap or punch some ppl so they stick to people who cannot fight for themselves,
another thing yu will notice is that most so called witches especially the old women/men do not have children or families, they know u and i and anyone will not stand there and watch ur grandads or mums being called witches or wizards, as for not making the african continent look dark and evil,well we are doing a good job of that all by ourselves,
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 12:29pm On Nov 16, 2008
@redsun
albinos are adults that can defend themselves both individually and collectively,children cannot defend themselves and have more chance of being damaged for life if some idiots condition their hearts and mind that they are evil and witches,worse still is abandoning a 5 .6,7 yrs old at the mercy of virtuall strangers with this menace of ritual killings and what not, who knows how many of these innocent children have been kidnaped for rituals before A WHITE MAN FROM BRITAIN showed us what s more or less happening under our noses, lets top being unecessarily defensive
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by redsun(m): 6:08pm On Nov 16, 2008
There are albino children too and  they are very much at risk.I am not in any way defending the act,but i am saying that all the evil practices of both religious and voodoo priests all over africa in the name of rituals and doing god's will are all barbaric and incomprehensible for this time and age.

Of course nigeria is bleeped,not even the mentality of average children in the real world can be compared with what you have averagely in nigeria today,you don't need a crystal ball to see that.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 1:38am On Nov 17, 2008
"Naijacutie", if you're not gonna read the entire posts/thread as to WHY things got to this point then please be quiet.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by H2O2: 1:58am On Nov 17, 2008
KarmaMod:

"Naijacutie", if you're not going to read the entire posts/thread as to WHY things got to this point then please be quiet.
I agree
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:10am On Nov 17, 2008
pcmecom:

Some of the documentaries conducted in Africa by western journalist tend to be over-exaggerated.I watched the documentary on channel 4,and I personally liked the response "Helen ukapio" gave to the female journalist.As far as I am concerned "witches" are everywhere in the globe including ENGLAND and AMERCIA. Africa has its problems and I respect that, they should STOP making the African continent look like a "dark and evil continent"

Sure, there are problems everywhere on the globe, but how many of those other worlds still crucify kids for being "WITCHES"? How many 5-year old kids in those other worlds are mutilated and maimed for being "witches" ? Are you sure looking at the way things work in many areas in africa, is it the west making the African continent look like a " dark and evil continent"?  We are talking of a continent where many of the perpetrators are respected in their communities and allowed to walk free with no consequence. We are speaking of a continent where Hump backs and albinos are hunted and killed freely by their own neighbours and even politicians. Are you sure the west is to blame for what we have happening in broad day light in Africa?

I mean we already get the IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE EXCUSE, THAT IS A GIVEN. I mean any one with an ounce of intelligence will know by now that that argument is as old as the other which goes " TO ERR IS HUMAN". What I don't get is why even in this day and age, that is continually being used as an excuse for the atrocities we commit against each other, even worse against our own kids, in Africa. But the barbaric nature in with which we continue to deal with ourselves and our neighbours, is that the fault of the journalists and the west as well?
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by tng(f): 12:11pm On Nov 17, 2008
I agree with Ukpabio that there are witches everywhere and children are actually potential witches or wizards but that is no reason for them to be maimed or whatever like has been described here.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 12:51pm On Nov 17, 2008
I was NOT trying to score cheap points here people. 

@ Naijacutee: I'm happy you are seeing where I'm coming from.

@Luca: Much as we are raising money from the Europeans, at least someone (Madiba) is behind it. I opened up this thread hoping that something 'fruitful' could come out of it. 

Keep lashing out and manifesting your stupidity. To those of you who are interested in discussing this issue further and are TRULY concerned, please drop me an e-mail: pmkmathabe@yahoo.com.  Let us do something about this. Anybody in the UK? I got connected to Gary (The gentleman behind the documentary) and I will NEED some help from NIGERIANS!

I really want to HELP those children!!
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 12:59pm On Nov 17, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with Ukpabio that there are witches everywhere and children are actually potential witches or wizards but that is no reason for them to be maimed or whatever like has been described here.

ewoooooooooooo another erikankong hmmm talkin em damn ha

i agree hmm hmmm ha these erikankong pipu hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 1:52pm On Nov 17, 2008
Help your children first

[/quote][quote author=Angelheart link=topic=195344.msg3098278#msg3098278 date=1226922660]
I was NOT trying to score cheap points here people.

You've yet to explain WHY you mentioned SA in your original post and also why you said the program should have just been about Nigeria when it was shown that such doesnt happen in Nigeria alone

Until you can explain yourself, just keep quiet and stop making a fool of yourself.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Angelheart: 1:54pm On Nov 17, 2008
To those that have been sending me e-mails, thank you.

Keep them coming. Much appreciated.

@Ikeyman: You just made an educated decision.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by naijacutee(f): 8:39pm On Nov 17, 2008
KarmaMod:

"Naijacutie", if you're not going to read the entire posts/thread as to WHY things got to this point then please be quiet.

Yes, I have read the entire post. Over and over again. Who cares what happens in SA - when our own children are being maimed and tortured for no reason. . . Please let us stop shying away from the truth/situation at hand. I realise that us Nigerians would rather fight a blind cause than accept that we are wrong. This post needs not to disintegrate into name-calling/country-bashing. If you want to talk about the "evils" of SA, then go and open another thread! There is no need to be so defensive - we are wrong not to give a thought to these kids - end of!

P.S Did you see the documentary?
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 8:53pm On Nov 17, 2008
naijacutee:

Yes, I have read the entire post. Over and over again. Who cares what happens in SA -

Obviously you didnt else you'd know WHY SA was brought up in the first place

Btw, I dont need oyibo documentary to know the atrocities that happen in Nigeria and other parts of Africa

Kinda sad that it's when things are shown outside of Nigeria that people suddenly pretend to care.
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Gamine(f): 9:05pm On Nov 17, 2008
@Angelheart,

Two strikes for you

One, You are known for SA/Naija thrashing

two, Theres a thread already started on this

Still, you are doing a Good thing, Kudos

@Naijacutee, Bless ya heart! smiley
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 12:34am On Nov 18, 2008
@angelheart
now that we v sorted the reasoning behind your posting this,in answer to your question,i am in the uk but outside london,what can i do to help?im thinking along the lines of maybe printing leaflets,ballons e.t.c in the akwaibom language and sending it over to be distributed, ill send you an email now,so you can tell me whatever you have in mind,must say im impressed with the pro active solution, even though i dont agree with the purpose behind your post cheesy something non of we nigerians have been able to do several days after the documentary
Re: Child Witches Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:56am On Nov 18, 2008
naijacutee:

Yes, I have read the entire post. Over and over again. Who cares what happens in SA - when our own children are being maimed and tortured for no reason. . . Please let us stop shying away from the truth/situation at hand. I realise that us Nigerians would rather fight a blind cause than accept that we are wrong. This post needs not to disintegrate into name-calling/country-bashing. If you want to talk about the "evils" of SA, then go and open another thread! There is no need to be so defensive - we are wrong not to give a thought to these kids - end of!

P.S Did you see the documentary?

o kare!!! nice response!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu Dumps Ribadu, Opts For Buhari. . . Eyes Vp Slot / Jonathan To Reshuffle Cabinet / India To Give $100 Million Aid For Nigeria's Power Sector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.