Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? (2145 Views)

I Was Thrown Out Over Hnd And Bsc "Wahala" / Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly / Bankers' Warehouse Plc Is A Cheat And Slave Land. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by june: 11:12pm On Aug 02, 2006
Just wanted to show my appreciation for this forum as I stumbled on it a few months ago but never got round to posting anything(my internet connection is annoyingly slow). It has however, been very helpful in job applications and test formats and I would just like to say thank you.

Now the topic: I just want to find out if anyone has a general idea what most of these reformed banks offer their trainees in terms of salary and other perks and where one can get ahead fastest; I've heard rumours about Zenith being the best; but to be honest my worry is as a young female some people have painted banking to me as some sort of bottomless pit (as in no escape) and the stereotype that some of the bankers tend to be very 'free' with themselves and thus tend to end up single (big girls) and then give others a bad name. I would appreciate some constructive feedback. Thanks
Re: Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by ayinla2005: 9:30am On Aug 03, 2006
Am a banker, and i understand your plight.Some bank expect more than what they pay you in return,though the salary may be fat but you need to be strong to cope.You will have to meet your target, some of which may not be realistic.Like Zenith will give a Big target, while in some banks like Ecobank ,First bank you have less stress.Stay cool.
Re: Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 03, 2006
I WORK IN THE BANK ALSO. AND I WOULDNT TELL U THAT WORKING IN A BANK IS EASY. ITS NOT. ITS VERY STRESSFUL AND AS A YOUNG WOMAN WHO ASPIRE TO BE MARRIED ONE DAY OR WHO WANTS TO KEEP HER HUSBAND AND KIDS, IT MIGHT NOT REALLY BE EASY. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE REALLY REALLY ORGANISED.

IT ALSO DEPENDS ON THE AREA WHERE YOU WORK, LETS TAKE FOR INSTANCE LAGOS.

RESUMPTION TIME FOR BANKERS IS 7.30am, YOU LEAVE YOUR HOUSE AS EARLY AS 5am SO THAT YOU CAN GET TO THE OFFICE IN GOOD TIME, WHEN YOU CLOSE AT 6pm, YOU HAVE TO DRIVE THRU ALL THAT LAGOS TRAFFIC AND GET TO YOUR HOUSE (MAYBE SOMEWHERE IN SURULERE) AT 9pm OR THEREABOUT. BY THEN YOU WILL BE VERY TIRED, ALL YOU WOULD WANT TO DO IS JUST TAKE UR BATH AND LIE DOWN. BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, YOU WILL JUST FIND OUT THAT YOUR LIFE ROTATES JUST BETWEEN THE OFFICE AND YOUR HOUSE.

I STAYED IN MY HOUSE FOR 1YEAR PLUS BEFORE I KNEW MY NEIGHBOURS, because I LEAVE THE HOUSE EARLY AND COME BACK LATE. SO IF EVEN YOUR NEIGHBOURS DONT KNOW YOU, TELL ME IF YOU ARE PRAYING TO BE HOOKED UP TO MR RIGHT ONE DAY, WHERE THE HELL WOULD HE SEE YOU?

ITS NOT EASY ANYWAY. THOUGH THE SALAY IS JUICY. THE ONLY ADVISE I GIVE MYSELF AND PEOPLE AROUND ME ITS THIS- AS A LADY BANKER YOU EITHER CHOOSE BTW YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR JOB. IF YOU CHOOSE YOUR JOB, BE VERY GOOD AT IT AND YOU WILL RISE TO THE TOPMOST LEVEL IN YOUR BANKING CAREER, BUT IF THE REVERSE IS THE CASE, SET A TIME FRAME FOR YOURSELF ( MAYBE 5 YEARS) SAVE ENOUGH MONEY AND MAYBE START A BUSINESS OF YOUR OWN.

HOPE IM RIGHT

BANKERS IN THE HOUSE, AIR YOUR VIEWS wink wink
Re: Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by charlesn(m): 11:46am On Aug 03, 2006
Ugonna you are very right. Bank work in this country especially lagos state is purely slave labour. This is so because the pay is  not as if you can buy a brand new car with it or you can own a home but still you work for close to 15 hours daily! But yet again when you look at the level of poverty and hopelessness today in the society you can't blame anybody for diving at a bank job. Young girl my advice to you is that you should work for a while, save some money and start a small business outfit of your own because that is only when you will experience real growth in life. I know of individuals that have worked 15 years in banks and all they have to show for it today is a rented apartment!
Re: Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by chinnybabe(f): 1:12am On Aug 04, 2006
U all r sayin d truth.i did my IT in a bank then and after dat xperience i vowed never to move near any bank work xcept God says dats what he wants for me.
To me i dont think bankers get paid that much as compared wit the stress of d job.
Re: Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by lanryfunky(m): 9:30am On Aug 04, 2006
i must be very frank that naija economy made banking job extremely difficult.Lagos especially is the most difficult placeto work especially for bankers.My candid advice is that wemust all have focus because no matterwhat theypay you,it's not their intention for you to be conmfortable but for you to keep soul and body 2getherso thatu can continually be fit for their jobs.Be very aggressive in your investment in stocks/shares so that in no time,u can start on ur own.BUT pleasenever resign because the job is stressful as u will LATER DISTINGUISH between JOBLESSNESS AND STRESS.
Re: Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by superstar1(m): 5:54pm On Aug 04, 2006
if the stress is not worth then while the hell is the whole of 9ja dying to work in the industry. Honetsly my girlfriend is about joining ETb but have told it won't b for more than 5years.I'm a vet. doctor but i think by being prudent i can achieve the level of comfort i have always dreamt of. I work for the state civil service in osun state, the pay is ok wit the standard of living in such a state.The problem is that all of us want to stay in Lag, Port, Abuja, But wot u wil achieve in this low standard of living states it will take ur friends a hell of tym to achieve that in these high brow states. I agreewit the other contributors that single ladies shd be there for a while just to have the capital n move on by having a biz of there own. If they could eva have any savings from there anyway!
Re: Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by june: 10:54pm On Aug 04, 2006
Thanks guys, Its really great to have this forum to share our views. I haven't made up my mind yet but I'm thinking it might be better to gain experience elsewhere and then God willing join the banks at senior level. I hear that's where all the great stuff happens!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bankers' Package- Is It Worth All The Wahala? by dearie(m): 11:48pm On Aug 04, 2006
I agree with the previous posts, but the peculiarity of Lagos and other big cities is what is adding to the problem, in other cities, it is better.

My advice to young ladies is get the job, work for 2 or 3 years and move to another sector, if you dream of being addressed 'MRS' in life, this depends on your fiance though.

Guys, stress or no-stress, the banking sector is growing bigger by the day, if the ladies are complaining, will you too? grab that offer and give your family a lift.

Frankly, i dont envy bankers at all, given the workload and time-of-work, but i dont mind starting off in a bank, then moving to any other sector or starting my biz, with the wealth of experience garnered,

(1) (Reply)

Cbn Calls For Interview / Nlng Calling 4 Test-operator Trainee / Oando Shortlisting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.