Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,334 members, 7,836,401 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Okocha Annoying Hype - Sports (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha Annoying Hype (55405 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? / Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by vincentont(m): 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

okocha led Bolton to a sixth place finish in 2005 which earned them their 1st uefa qualification in the club history.
united actually came for okocha but allydice wasn't willing to sell his talisman.

please try and get your facts right! okocha won Nigeria's only Olympic soccer gold, silver in CAF player of the year, silver in CAF nations cup, 2 bronze in CAF. and MVP in nations cup.

And BBC africa footballer of the year twice.

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Adatob(m): 1:50pm On Oct 20, 2014
Whats all this people saying now,when we talk about ability you can't compare dinho to JayJay,hes far beta dan dinho...tho u can only be considered as a great player if u pile ur ability wit trophies nd honours because if anyone says dat Llorente/Mata is great i will borrow him slap buh whereas they hav won world cup,buh JayJay is good#NoDoubt! Pesin wey i fit cari dribble evribody for field 4 winning eleven 09! Konami no fit use dinho du dat kind tin sef,mtchew
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by valhilly(m): 2:16pm On Oct 20, 2014
Jay Jay Okocha was the best 10 Nigeria had and even up till now, I don't think Nigerians have gotten any replacement for him... When it comes to world rating, he was still one of the best during his time. But the only problem he had was; 1. He hardly scores 2. His not a white 3. He didn't negotiate with MTN! Overhypn is even an understatement to compare with what he did for Nigeria! Let's always learn to appreciate what we have cos am very sure Okocha would have been much appreciated and celebrated if he's a white... cool
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by naijarates(m): 2:48pm On Oct 20, 2014
No need for arguements guys, this is why we are here. Simply click on the link on my signature, click on rate people on the site, find jj okocha and rate him. Its that simple.

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Heymus(m): 5:45pm On Oct 20, 2014
. . . . Blah! Blah!! Blah!!! Blah!!!!, OKOCHA WAS A GREAT PLAYER. F U L L S T O P
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by maestroferddi: 5:54pm On Oct 20, 2014
alexis007:
overrated or underestimated?....i'm not the fittest judge to pass the irrevocable verdict on papa jay....but all i know is that he's a million times better than a certain lethargic,drooling,glued-to-the-bench Nigerian Chelsea mildfielder......that said,mentioning jay's name in the same breath with ronaldinho,messi,zidane and other ballon d'or winners is a step[judgement] taken too far away.....and about the playmaker issue.....Jay jay,in my humble opinion,is not even better than juventus' midfield maestro PAUL POGBA.....argue the fact above and expose yourself on how irritatingly little you know about Serie A football...
Don't be ridiculous!

Who is Paul Pogba beside a kick and follow and pass and move midfielder?

The only thing going for Pogba is his youthful energy. I rate Pogba in the leagues of the Balotellis: players that require a star-studded squad to excel.

Pogba lest you forget is a Man U reject. Okocha made many poor career choices but the fact that he was a football artist par excellence is not in doubt.

If you had cited Hazard, then one could have consider...Pogba nada!
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by jpipe2000(m): 6:13pm On Oct 20, 2014
mehn..... u don't have nothing, rly a waste of time reading ds bs
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Mixty: 9:57pm On Oct 20, 2014
otipoju:

i was waiting for your reply. I know that it takes a long time for your shallow brain to boot.

so many fallacies AND Sophistries in your argument.I will not fall for it.

1.Appeal to Authority...

Pele sees Okocha as great.So what, it is his own personal opinion. it does not mean that he can reason well. First check the meaning of greatness to understand what is being talked about. Okocha is very very skillfull player and i have reiterated it severally, but is he great? Nooooo. Why, he did not amass any trophies, broke any records or personal honours that set him apart from the pack. Besides what skill did Okocha have that we have not seen from "great players" like Ronaldo Delima, Zidane, Figo, Maradona,Roberto Baggio, Rui Costa et al who combined extraodinary skills with winning trophies and personal awards and achievements here and there.

2.Begging the question.

Where in this whole argument did the issue of playmaker come in.. what exactly is your point? that greatness is restricted to playmakers and therefore great strikers like Filipo Inzaghi, great defenders like Paulo Maldini and goalkeepers like Oliver Khan and Peter Scmiechel who did not have the skills of Okocha but did what they did extraordinarily well and won trophies for top clubs do not count? Daft Old man..... your stupidity or senility on display again.

3. Poisoning the well.

No where in my post did i call Okocha mediocre, he has achieved his aims...play regularly, enjoy football, entertain the fans and make good money in the process...Being world best or achieving greatness was not on his agenda...until he saw the light later in his career and by then age was no longer on his side. He had a fantastic career.It is your brain that i was referring to as mediocre because you do not know how to reason. Your thought process is disjointed and it is therefor mediocre.

4.Appeal to Probability.

You concluded that I use a Cheap china phone which to you represents poverty...which also translates into the the deduction that it is responsible for an inability to think properly. Well i will not be dragged to your level.Those who use China phones are grateful that they have them. And please what has using a China phone from Asia just like Samsung ,Lenovo or LG got to do with the ability to construct a sound argument and articulate your view point cohesively...Mr Rich man,some people like you are so poor that all they have is money.

5.Red Herring

Yes there is politics in football...just like in religion, work and every facet of life. But it did not stop Chelsea and Man United to fight to the death over the potential for greatness that they so in Mikel Obi as a green horn,nor did it stop Manchester City from snapping up Kelechi Iheanacho or Emmanuel Amuneke from playing for Barcelona, Sunday Oliseh from playing for Juventus or Finidi from winning the champions league with Ajax in its hey deys nor Taribo West from turning out for Inter Milan.Nor Kanu from playing for Arsenal and winning the FA Cup with Portsmouth. Wether you are black ,blue or red, the truly great clubs will come for you if they believe you will add value to them...

Okocha shied away from them in spite of his immense talents because what was uppermost in his mind was a regular shirt,enjoying himself and entertaining his fans while making cool money in the process.

If you can provide superior arguments to counter my position, please do so because i am not impressed with the shallow, confused and disjointed thinking of a retarded person that you are spitting out.
Beautiful nonsense.
It is apparent that you have powerful writing skills but unfortunately, you lack the brain to back it up.
You accuse rossike of being fallacious yet you refuse to back the crux of your argument with any evidence or historical fact.
You emphasized that Okocha deliverately avoided the big clubs. But you repeatedly failed to mention a single big club that tabled an offer and he declined.
Your 2 major deductions were based on purely personal opinion:
1) That Okocha knowingly avoided top clubs. You failed to give any proof whatsoever.
2) Greatness is measured by trophies won. Another contentious statement. If that was the case, Mikel should have been the African footballer of the year. But we all know that the current holder, Yaya Toure is a better player. The same argument holds for Samuel Eto'o and Okocha during their prime. Eto'o won more trophies but Okocha was arguably the better and more complete player. Unfortunately, the award swung to the player with highest accolades in those years.

Next time, before you embark on an argument, put on your thinking cap.

Respect!

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by alexis007(m): 10:08pm On Oct 20, 2014
maestroferddi:
Don't be ridiculous!

Who is Paul Pogba beside a kick and follow and pass and move midfielder?

The only thing going for Pogba is his youthful energy. I rate Pogba in the leagues of the Balotellis: players that require a star-studded squad to excel.

Pogba lest you forget is a Man U reject. Okocha made many poor career choices but the fact that he was a football artist par excellence is not in doubt.

If you had cited Hazard, then one could have consider...Pogba nada!
....exactly my fear!.....chelsea fan,i for cite hazard shee?....sowie i'm not in love with aimless-dribbling style of football....and did you even take note of my last line?.....tell me,apart from checking seria a game results on your fone 4 your 9jabet gamble....what else would ever bring you close to juventus?....it's just as simple as i've said it b4....if you think okocha is a better midfielder than pogba.....then you've never watched a serie A game in your life before......and as 4 the man.u reject ish.....there was Giggs,scholes and carrick @ the time.....you don't expect a teenager to bench these veterans.......i'm even sure you know that part of your argument was fallible.....and that you'd have dismissed it as quickly as it came to your mind if you weren't so eager to over-hype an apparently talented someone who seemed to have quite an allergy playing for elite clubs....
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by DonJupo(m): 7:24am On Oct 21, 2014
It ain't a surprise seeing your post but i feel you should have made an open argument then conclude with your choice of favorable players and not try to condemn our "loyalty" to JJ.
You are not far from the truth when you say you feel he is over hyped but thats not to say that millions of football fans what turned up en-mass to watch JJ during his playing days are fools. You definitly aint wiser that FIFA that included him as one of the all time best neither do you know better than me who enjoyed watching the Super Eagle during JJ's playing days.
Yes, he didnt adorn jersies of top european clubs nor win trophies but I still put it to you that only a few do the kinda magic he creates with the ball on his feet.
If you are one of those that believe football is fun, artistery, beautiful and therapeutic then you should accept that JJ gave beauty and artistery to the Super Eagles and all the teams he was fortunate to play for.
Football legends both dead and alive have had one or two uplifting words to say about the wonders of JJ but if you dont agree to those words, it's your loss not ours.
I dont wont to argue too much on this issue and will conclude by saying, George Weah paved way for African greatness, Eto and Drogba are goal machines and pride to Africa, Prince of Monaco (Ikpeba) did his bits, King Kanu in all arears remains a name that will never be forgotten, Yaya Toure, Adebayor and others are in their own greatness still making Africa proud and JJ likewise was a magician and in his own way added pride to Africa so my guy, wether you like it or not, despite not playing for great teams, JJ remains a living legend to African football and the world at large and nothing you say is gonna change that.You are entitled to hold on to your opinion though cos I stand to gain nothing convincing you.
I sign out my stating that Emperor JJ remains my mentor and I call him the "Grand Commander Of The Federal Republic Of Midfielders".
I rest my case.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 21, 2014
andyanders:

Complete fool you are.When your father never EVER achieved anything in his life time. When poverty has bedridden your generation and you are here talking about a family man who never had issues with you.Why saying that Okocha is just over hyped?
Are you from this same village with him? Why talking of this when this man is out of football and settled as a married man with family and you fool is here talking trash?

May thunder fire you and your entire generation.

it was just a simple post bro, why u pained? I and my family are actually living a wealthy life thanks to God. Its obvious you are a bastard, your mum gave another man's pregnancy to your father.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 21, 2014
toecyne,okonja,victorix,otipoju,Rossike,Nostrodamus,ednut1,tuffgongjo,nationwide1,ndidibabe,iceg,buskie,Abatically,obilkenobi....
.all dis pple and many more are agueing abt okocha's greatness, and d fact dat he didn't win any personal trophies,Well i had a chance 2 ask my 75yr old grandpa today,n am glad i learnt alot frm him;

Okocha's club honors;
*shaarland cup;1990,1992
*fuji cup;1992
*oberliga sudwest;1991
*chancellör'$ cup 1998
*Atartürk cup 1998
*uefa intertoto cup 2001
*futball league cup runnerups 2004
*futball league championship playoff 2008

Intenational honors
*African cup of nations 1994
*Afro-asian cup of nations 1995
*Olympic game 1996

Idiuidual honours
though okocha never won African footballer of the years,he came second twice in 1998,arguabily d only great player to never have won it.BUT,he did win the BBC African footballer of the year more than 3times,in 2004 he was listed on FIFA 100,as the greatest player of all time.
*2005,bolton wanderers footballer of the year award.

Don't luk at d mistakes o.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by musicwriter(m): 5:40pm On Oct 21, 2014
otipoju:
Okocha could have been the greatest.

He did not because earlier on in his career he was always playing to the gallery and preferred to enjoy himself and entertain the spectators instead of playing purposeful football.

It was after he joined PSG that his game was alteredwhen he had a paradigm shift and he started being purposeful.

Apart from these Okocha with all his skills had a preference for teams where he would be without a credible rival and so command the number ten Jersey.
So he deliberately avoided the big clubs.

His best years as a complete team oriented, match winning focused footballer was at Bolton where he had a knack for tormenting the big teams with his artistry and almost became the African footballer of the year at that time.

Nevertheless I prefer Kanu Nwankwo... His skills and mien on the ball were simply sublime. Unforced, Unhurried,and magical... Kanu did things no other player could imagine.

You are entitled to your opinion but don't expect everyone to accept your individual assessment as the yardstick for rating success.

I'm not a big football fan but by extention of your argument you could as well say Tuface or Psquare are the greatest musicians ever to come out of Nigeria judging by the number of awards they've received. And I will like to ask you how many grammies did Bob Marley win?. How many grammies did Majeck Mashek win?. How many grammies did Lucky Dube win?.

If Okocha ''preferred to enjoy himself and entertain the spectators'' how does that stop him being one of the greatest footballer?. JJ Okocha is certainly one of the greatest footballer of all time!
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by whytfaz(m): 8:14pm On Oct 21, 2014
JAY JAY OKOCHA!!! So good that they named him twice!! ... Only a fool will argue this
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by MrPresident1: 12:19pm On Oct 22, 2014
sukkot:
that nigga okocha is the son of aloysius atuegbu. always yaming the ball into the sky
Oya check, this one too na yaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yCJjFKGVy4

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by inspirati: 1:34pm On Oct 22, 2014
Was Okocha great? Yes, and No. In the Nigerian/African context, YES. In the world context, I doubt it. Greatest is not measured by the name of your club, or its achievement, but by what you're able to make out of every game. Maradona at his best played for which club again? So, you'll say he's not great because he never played much for a big club?
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by espn(m): 7:22pm On Oct 22, 2014
ednut1:
what is this one saying. okocha was an average player
u must b mad to call okocha na average player..even drogba @ his peak of his career said he really feared jj okocha d 1st tim he wanted to play against em!
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Bluffly: 1:03pm On Oct 23, 2014
Bull Sh*t
All these small boys talking. Okocha was a great player. Put someone exactly like Okocha in Barcelona of today, Real Madrid or Arsenal, then you will know. Okocha is a play maker just like Messi, Ronaldo name it. Have you seen anyone who currently measure up to Okocha in the current Nigerian team

Watch this and call it an hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBaH_9vJETg

1 Like

Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Bluffly: 1:09pm On Oct 23, 2014
toecyne:
It is sometimes very annoying wen some people say Okocha is the best footballer ever, and that he is not recognized becos he is Nigerian.
Some even say he is better than Ronaldinho because he benched Ronaldinho wen dinho was only 20, and was yet to adapt to european football. Y not just say giggs is also better than C.Ronaldo because he benched him wen he was new in Man United or that Guily is better than Messi because he benched messi wen messi was still very young

Yaya toure is an african nd he is leading man city, Eto was Barcelona top striker for abt 4 years and a nigerian also played for barca in the 1990s, mikel(a nigerian) was nearly thorn apart by man u and chelsea, they wanted him badly.. my point is african/nigerian or not, you would be rewarded accordingly and sought after if you are that good. Okocha is jst over hyped

What an insult to an household name. Two names have always been used to describe a football n Nigerian locality if not Maradona they say Okocha
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 2:36pm On Oct 23, 2014
MrPresident1:

Oya check, this one too na yaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yCJjFKGVy4
even the sun shines on a dogs a-s-s once in a while, as they say grin
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by MrPresident1: 6:10pm On Oct 23, 2014
sukkot:
even the sun shines on a dogs a-s-s once in a while, as they say grin

Dem don name Jay jay as one of the EPL greats. Na once in a blue mooners dem dey give that kind recognition? cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/1960605/jay-jay-listed-100-best
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by sukkot: 2:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
MrPresident1:

Dem don name Jay jay as one of the EPL greats. Na once in a blue mooners dem dey give that kind recognition? cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/1960605/jay-jay-listed-100-best
number 93 ? that no be good ranking now. na hin mate dey number 1 now. abi ? cheesy
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by robosky02(m): 5:06pm On Oct 24, 2014
okocha should have been named african best twice but CAF politics denied him

in 1998 Mustapher Haji was named african footballer ahead of Okocha

the guy was so surprised how can you name me the best when Okocha is here
his only consolation was that ok maybe its cos of the goal i scored for morrocco
and okocha didnt score. at the world cup france 98.

again in 2003/4 it was given to eto for flimsy excus

forget CAF politics he can only be compared to
ROGER MILLAR AND GEROGE WEAR in african ranking

but thank God for BBC

"he was sooooo goood they named him twicce"
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by smallgod(m): 5:38pm On Oct 24, 2014
Okocha was a great footballer. He was definitely one of the best of his time because of his extraordinary dribbling ability and passing skills. However, he cannot be referred to as the greatest of all time. No way! It takes more than an overwhelming dribbling acumen and passing skills to be crowned greatest ever. You need a certain kind of hunger, a hunger for great results, that Baba Okocha always seemed to lack.nHe never reallyu went into BEAST MODE during the game. Watch Pele, Maradonna, Ronaldo (The Phenomenon), Christiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and other greats to understand what BEAST MODE means.

By the way, check out www.remainintheknow..co.uk for entertaining and informative posts on global current and past affairs.
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by jeflexy(m): 12:21am On Oct 25, 2014
abatically:

Very correct. The most exciting player to watch out of Africa, but definitely not The most effective, and definitely not the most exciting to watch in the rest of the world. Ronaldinho, messi, ronaldo, Roberto baggio, rivaldo, etc are also exciting to watch but they surpass Okocha because they are also effective.
^^^ur stupidity knows no bound for callin players like ronaldo and messi in the days of jay jay okacha, how dare u say ronaldo and messi is more exciting to watch than okacha in his days! Infact, may ur good works never be appreciated for that useless post u typed! Stupid product of a premature sperm!! Idiot!!! U tink exciting football is to do leg over and run with the ball like what ronaldo does often!! Mtchww! Foolish pig.... #i reserve my words to deal with u again if u dare type such rubbish again!
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by jeflexy(m): 12:55am On Oct 25, 2014
ROSSIKE:
I disagree. The Turkish league is not THAT far 'behind' the leagues you mentioned. And the quality of their league meant nothing to Okocha. When Fenebahche played Man U at Old Trafford, Jay Jay Okocha was the best player on the pitch by an ABSOLUTE MILE, leading to the English commentators wondering aloud what a player like this was doing in Fenebahche. They were openly saying he should be at AC Milan or Barcelona. And what you call Okocha's 'show off' kind of game is a GROSS INSULT to his massive talent. I've already shown that he was EFFECTIVE at Fenebahce (32 goals in 60 games is highly effective for a midfielder). He included great skill in his game, just as Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi do today (to the extent they can), AS YOU KISS THEIR NUTS IN ADMIRATION. For you it is one rule for Okocha, another rule for foreigners. If Okocha dribbles it's ''Oh Okocha is showing off''. If Messi dribbles it's ''wow, Messi is from another planet!'' Rubbish.
^^^ for this post, u deserve to marry my daughter free of charge, bt am sorry, am still single... #may u live longer than my grand mum who died at the age of 99!! #GOD
blessyou jareh!
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by MrPresident1: 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2014
sukkot:
number 93 ? that no be good ranking now. na hin mate dey number 1 now. abi ? cheesy

Dem no do fair ranking. But the point be say no be ball yammers dem dey give this kind recognition to cool
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by chic2pimp(m): 7:43pm On Oct 28, 2014
OboloMAN:

Guy ...Pls remove MIKEL Out of this...

Sure Okocha is the Greatest No 10 ever on African Soil.

ASK Oliver Khan... He can tell u better.

Pls You All Should go download Best of Okocha from Youtube and read d comments there.

Even the Whites Acknowledge this Great No.10

Till my Kids grow up to play football if they Wish in the future. . Okocha remains the Greatest No.10 in Africa

Okocha Africa's greatest no 10 ahead of Abedi Pele? Is this arguement based on sentiments or the facts on the table?
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by chic2pimp(m): 8:25pm On Oct 28, 2014
Mixty:

The same argument holds for Samuel Eto'o and Okocha during their prime. Eto'o won more trophies but Okocha was arguably the better and more complete player. Unfortunately, the award swung to the player with highest accolades in those years.

Next time, before you embark on an argument, put on your thinking cap.

Respect!
You just accused someone of typing in your words "Beautiful Nonsense" but you only just gone and done the exact same thing. Pray tell how was okocha "Arguably Better" than Eto'o?
Re: Okocha Annoying Hype by Mixty: 8:33pm On Oct 28, 2014
chic2pimp:

You just accused someone of typing in your words "Beautiful Nonsense" but you only just gone and done the exact same thing. Pray tell how was okocha "Arguably Better" than Eto'o?
You need to go back to your English teacher to ask for a refund of your tuition fees. There is a distinct difference between 'arguably better' and 'better'.

Stop spending your valuable time on Nairaland, thereby exposing your ignorance. Instead, go and enrol for a good English lesson. A valuable advice, I give you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Michael Essien’s Gay Rights Comment Sparks Outrage On Social Media / Emmanuel Adebayor's N8m Can-Am Bike & Cars In His Compound (Photos) / Jay-Jay Okocha's Exotic Cars As He Celebrates His 44th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.