Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,317 members, 7,829,763 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School (53087 Views)

Nigerian Law School Prospective 2015/2016 Set... / Waec 2014 May/june Results Out. Mass Failure Recorded / Causes Of Mass-Failure In Public Examinations In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by PassingShot(m): 2:36pm On Oct 21, 2014
If Law graduates can write

"The mass failure at the Nigerian Law School is an insult to the legal system. Kindly help address this issue by calling the attention of authorities that matters", then the mass failure may not be far from reality.

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by hardbody: 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
olrotimi:
Failure would always point many accusing fingers. When the little children fail WAEC & UME, we jeer at them for neglecting their books and majoring in TV Series and social media bt when adults fail, we say its the system that failed them. #wash! na una be the first to enter law school?

God bless you sir. It is interesting to hear people talk about JAMB and WAEC not favouring them, a euphemism for saying i failed because i did not prepare well. Now they have been marked down and a different scheme introduced. Balderdash. Failure to prepare well has always amounted to preparation to fail well. We sef go the same Law School when we all had to use the Adeola Odeku auditorium and when there were no hostels or at best they were allocated by ballot. We still struggled coming from all parts of Lagos to write our qualifying examinations. This same OO taught me Civil Procedure and we all did not fail.

1 Like

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by purplesummer(f): 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
Sunbellar:
Purplesummer, what's your take on this please?
Lol. I think it's a way forward.
If there are people who actually passed the bar final exams then the others have no good reason to fail. It is better to produce very few lawyers in a particular year than to turn out half baked legal practitioners. The profession is not for mediocers

3 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 21, 2014
Funny thread. After they will say all Lawyers are not liars undecided
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Montaque(m): 2:45pm On Oct 21, 2014
Mitsurugi:
This is rubbish. I read at the Nigerian Law School Lagos in 2008/2009, when Onadeko was the Deputy-Director General. I also served as the Students Representative Council Chairman and had a good relationship with Onadeko whom I had hitherto been warned about regarding his hauteur nature. My relationship with Onadeko revealed him to be a man of strict academic and behavioral disciple and it inspired me to work hard both in academic and professional excellence. It is on record at the Law school among my colleagues that I wrote my exams from the sick bay and yet earned a 2'2, it is also on record that many older students with years of working experience all passed as against the fresh school leavers duing my time. You cannot beat hard work. Most Law Students are lazy and have no idea what they are at the Law School for. My first cousin just wrote this same exam and graduated with a 2'1. I shall be at her call to bar, but I hasten to add that I marveled at the way she read; my God she read and always asked me questions. Nonsense! If the Law School decides to go against the Council of Legal Education ethics and publish some of the results, Nigerians would be so shocked that giving young lawyers briefs would be herculean! My advice, they should go and prepare for re-sit!
thank God ur cousin passed,would you have been suprised if she had failed? Thats the question some pple who I know may have studied better than your cousin are asking. And you should know that lawschool answers are like mathematical answers, 50 candidate can answer same thing and be correct, you should also know that there is emphasis on practice there. So it is a suprise thing even to me, for your info,the standard has changed. Those who made 2.2 previously will most likely fail the same exam if written NOW. Thank God,Onadeko gave us a hint beforehand and I was ready for anything.

2 Likes

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 21, 2014
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by superplus(m): 3:08pm On Oct 21, 2014
Pursuant to the foregoing,I hereby state that the agitations by those students who failed their Bar exams is uncalled for. They are advised to either call for their scripts or study hard to show themselves approved for the Nigerian Bar.

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by hadizadeezy(f): 3:11pm On Oct 21, 2014
they should go and read joor
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:11pm On Oct 21, 2014
akinsadeez:
Generally law school Bar finals is known to be one of the hardest professional exams in the whole world. That being said, a situation where 4000 students fail out of 6000 is simply unacceptable. infact it is an indictment of the lecturers who taught the students and the law school system as a whole. It begs the questions whether the lecturers really impacted anything in a majority of the students if 70% of those who took the exams can fail.
The DG has to take a good look at himself. When he was taking over from Tahir Mamman last year, I told my friends just going into law school that they were lucky because he would want the first set under him to do well and the result would consequently generally be very good. Subsequent events however proved me wrong.
The DG reduced the time of MCQ from 60 minutes to 50 minutes without properly informing all the campuses and the students. MCQ that when I was doing mine few years ago, I was hardly able to finish within 60 mins, not to talk of now removing ten minutes from the time. God also knows where and how the DG set the questions. I have a friend who graduated from the university with a 2.1 and who I know to be very intelligent, but he told me that during civil litigation exam, he was basically lost and was counting the ceiling.
The problem is that the new DG is trying at all cost to prove that he is different from the old one and he did this at the expense of the students. To all those who failed, next year will be your year IJN. To those who passed and scaled the tsunami, congrats and welcome to the bar. God bless!
invited to the thread in my signature
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 21, 2014
chimoz:

My junior bros passed.

Congratulations bro!!
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:18pm On Oct 21, 2014
Mitsurugi:
This is rubbish. I read at the Nigerian Law School Lagos in 2008/2009, when Onadeko was the Deputy-Director General. I also served as the Students Representative Council Chairman and had a good relationship with Onadeko whom I had hitherto been warned about regarding his hauteur nature. My relationship with Onadeko revealed him to be a man of strict academic and behavioral disciple and it inspired me to work hard both in academic and professional excellence. It is on record at the Law school among my colleagues that I wrote my exams from the sick bay and yet earned a 2'2, it is also on record that many older students with years of working experience all passed as against the fresh school leavers duing my time. You cannot beat hard work. Most Law Students are lazy and have no idea what they are at the Law School for. My first cousin just wrote this same exam and graduated with a 2'1. I shall be at her call to bar, but I hasten to add that I marveled at the way she read; my God she read and always asked me questions. Nonsense! If the Law School decides to go against the Council of Legal Education ethics and publish some of the results, Nigerians would be so shocked that giving young lawyers briefs would be herculean! My advice, they should go and prepare for re-sit!
please you are invited to the thread at my signature
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:19pm On Oct 21, 2014
[quote author=ceo003 post=27324889]

LAW SCHOOL IS NOT HARD . IVE BEEN THERE . WHY PEOPLE ARE FAILING THEIR EXAMS IS SUSPICIOUS . AFTER COLLECTING @ WHOPPING 300K ? SMH angry[/quoteplease you are invited to the thread at my signature
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by superplus(m): 3:22pm On Oct 21, 2014
Here is the breakdown of the 2014 Bar Finals result

Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:23pm On Oct 21, 2014
kemthegirl pplease you are invited to the thread at my signatureplease you are invited to the thread at my signatureost=27325368:

thank u bro. As a lawyer who has passed this very exams at the first attempt i know better than to judge anyone who fails. U have forgotten to mention how a student is being graded with the least score. It is better to have all Ds in the law school and graduate with a pass than to have all As and one F. That's an automatic failure. Also failing the LIP exams amounts to an automatic failure.

as a lawyer, i totally understand those students. Only people with little or no connection with the legal profession will criticize them. This is one exams where i maintain that it is not a true test of knowledge. That i passed at the first attempt three years ago did not make me smarter or more hardworking than those who failed.
Whats LIP exam barrister?
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:24pm On Oct 21, 2014
CoCoLav:
The most painful thing is the grading of students by your lowest score. What kind of grading is that? Those criticizing those that failed, you won't understand. How can someone with a 4.3 GPA from university who borrowed the money for his school fees get to law school and play? He finished with a pass! It is totally unacceptable.

Something has to be done.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:24pm On Oct 21, 2014
CoCoLav:
The most painful thing is the grading of students by your lowest score. What kind of grading is that? Those criticizing those that failed, you won't understand. How can someone with a 4.3 GPA from university who borrowed the money for his school fees get to law school and play? He finished with a pass! It is totally unacceptable.

Something has to be done.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Claroo(m): 3:26pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lawstudent:

Law In Practice
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by olamonsor2: 3:26pm On Oct 21, 2014
Noun student can do better dan does student. Give noun chance.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2014
likeseriously:

All of you talking and blabbing here over what you don't know. Now let me tell you how Law school exams are being graded.

For you to make a first class it means your least. Score in all d five courses offered is an A. That means you scored A across board. A 2'1 means ur least was B; 2'2 dat means least was C den pass means least was E so it is possible to get A in four courses and an E in one den you are automatically a pass student den A in four courses and F in one u failed. The thing is thaat you are graded with ur least score in all the five subjects. It is not a cumulative exam.
Not as if I am pleading for them it is a system I passed through in 2010/2011 luckily I got a 2'1. I went to the Kano campus and most importantly I am glad I finished before Boko haram issue started.
Take heart dear students and try again.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:29pm On Oct 21, 2014
craigj:
The system at law school was changed from what I learnt. Person no fit pay 300k come mumu he-her sef naaah.
Someone close to me complained after his first paper. He said they 've bn caught unawares and he doesn't think a first-class is sure anymore though he made a 2.2. He was so disappointed not until he started hearing other people's results.
Make una ask other peps wey just finish law school...
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:30pm On Oct 21, 2014
akinsadeez:

Gbam! You have said it all. I just laugh at all these people saying that those who failed did not read as if a whole 4000 students can decide to come to law school, pay 300,000 naira plus money for books, attend lectures and then just start playing from beginning to end. The fact is that passing Bar finals is not really a function of how well or hard you read, its all about Grace. During my set, those who were always visible in class, always answering questions and whom we were expecting to get first class ended up with 'pass' or even failed.
some of those who failed might have failed just one course out of five. I have friends who I know read very well but surprisingly got 'f'. It seems the marking scheme this year was extraordinarily harsh.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by akinsadeez(m): 3:30pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lawstudent:

Law-in-Practice. The only course where an F means you have to compulsorily rewrite the five papers.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
pembisco:

there's a standard of course, but you know the standard has to be raised due to increasing numbers of the students. Each university has an exact number of slots into law school, unimaid for instance has 150 slots but you find out that the VCs and Registrars admit 400 students into part one, now how will the remaining gain admission into the law school? but you find out extra slots are given to these students through curuption and bribery leading to many unemployed graduates on the street and this is not good for the profession. I think the new DG shuld be commended for streamlining the unserious ones among them. everything is designed in way that the graduates should fill the gap created by the retired lawyers/judges. imagine graduating 5000 lawyers and may be just 1000 will retire this year
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by IYANGBALI: 3:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
So Nigerian law school wants to deny about 4,000 from being a liar grin
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
Montaque:
thank God ur cousin passed,would you have been suprised if she please you are invited to the thread at my signature failed? Thats the question some pple who I know may have studied better than your cousin are asking. And you should know that lawschool answers are like mathematical answers, 50 candidate can answer same thing and be correct, you should also know that there is emphasis on practice there. So it is a suprise thing even to me, for your info,the standard has changed. Those who made 2.2 previously will most likely fail the same exam if written NOW. Thank God,Onadeko gave us a hint beforehand and I was ready for anything.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by kemthegirl(f): 3:35pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lawstudent:

it is called Law in Practice in full. It deals with the practical aspects of the legal profession, dealing with clients, professional ethics etc. It is considered the most important subject in law school and failure of this one course means repeating law school even if u have aced all others.

i remember that i did not feel really confident after writing this paper. I cried so much and called my parents later that night and told them that if i didn't make it, they should forgive me. I made it but it also shows how unpredictable bar finals is. Even the most intelligent are never too sure.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Lawstudent: 3:50pm On Oct 21, 2014
kemthegirl:

it is called Law in Practice in full. It deals with the practical aspects of the legal profession, dealing with clients, professional ethics etc. It is considered the most important subject in law school and failure of this one course means repeating law school even if u have aced all others.

i remember that i did not feel really confident after writing this paper. I cried so much and called my parents later that night and told them that if i didn't make it, they should forgive me. I made it but it also shows how unpredictable bar finals is. Even the most intelligent are never too sure.
Cheers
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by pembisco(m): 3:50pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lawstudent:
ok
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 21, 2014

https://www.nairaland.com/1960061/making-it-offence-insult-government

Edit: Thread has been locked, soon to be deleted.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by breathless(m): 3:57pm On Oct 21, 2014
In a country with too many masses, what do you expect?
Mass failure in COMMON ENTRANCE, WAEC, JAMB, and now LAW SCHOOL.
Even NIS recorded mass DEATH.
Not to talk of MASS failure in power supply, energy, education (as evident in subject matter) blended with MASSive CORRUPTION, LOOTING of our Commonwealth/treasury, senseless killing of innocent lives (BH), rigging of elections,destruction of national pride.
Phew, God help this country.
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ebukaOtika(m): 4:04pm On Oct 21, 2014
QMark:
What do you expect in a failed Nigeria education system?

But Nigerian students sha....
When they pass, they go "WE PASSED"
When they fail, the story becomes "THEY FAILED US"

Like Seriously i just came here to LAUGH MY ASS OUT ,,.,,,,...LWKMDOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Mass Failure In Nigerian Law School by ebukaOtika(m): 4:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
kingzjay:
This is just a clear picture of our Legal system.... Their 'senior colleagues' discharged and acquitted Ibori of corrruption only to be charged and jailed abroad with a minor offence.

#TheyAreNotJustOk.com

GBAM ! ! ! ,,.,,. That got me shocked when i read that in the newspaper,,.,,,, they are no way better than the Police ,,.,,. Awon Senior Thieves,,,,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

FUTA 400L Student Designs And Built Automatic Change Over (PHOTOS) / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc / The Menace Of Living Of Campus(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.