Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials (14980 Views)

Osun Government Officials Kidnapped In Lokoja / APC Warns Against Insulting Buhari, Government Officials - Premiumtimes / When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Seun(m): 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2014
Hello,

I'm working on a modification to our rules that will make it an offence to disrespect government officials and call them derogatory names on Nairaland. The objective is to prepare Nairaland for a time when the Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things. Currently it's against our rules to deliberately insult a Nairaland member, so we will just be extending this rule to make it cover government officials too.

What are your comments on this? I promise to read all your comments, though I can't promise to reply all of them, of course.

Thanks!

36 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by politricks: 3:29pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

I'm working on a modification to our rules that will make it an offence to disrespect government officials and call them derogatory names on Nairaland. The objective is to prepare Nairaland for a time when the Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things. Currently it's against our rules to deliberately insult a Nairaland member, so we will just be extending this rule to make it cover government officials too.

What are your comments on this? I promise to read all your comments, though I can't promise to reply all of them, of course.

Thanks!
pls do that because the amount of insults,hatred e.t.c is getting too much.But this should not be about only government officials,it should be about everybody.Why am saying this is because Buhari and co are not government officials.

21 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 21, 2014
smiley
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by timpaker(m): 3:30pm On Oct 21, 2014
I endorse this. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 21, 2014
You can not trample down on FREEDOM OF SPEECH! No matter What!

127 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

Thanks!
Mr. Seun you are a pitiable person. I expect that you would have done some sober reflection by this time. Is it because we call Jonathan Mr. Clueless and the PDP a Killer Party that you want to Gag our views? Do not use your own hand to ruin your forum-It is just a brotherly and friendly advise.

RUBBISSSSSSHHHHHH

PS: This is in contravention to the African Charter on Human Right which deals with FREEDOM OF SPEECH and the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria.

134 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by cheiseabmw: 3:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
gradually you will make your forum stale and staid . keep it up!

Obama was called a psycho on live TV yet he has not shut down the station or arrested the presenter!

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Chongaiman: 3:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
The more you see, the less you understand.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Lilimax(f): 3:32pm On Oct 21, 2014
It's very thoughtful of you.
A situation whereby our youths (currently aspiring to become something in life) will be insulting
a sitting president and other elders at will is not justified at all.

I'm fully in support of this.

16 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by RockMaxi: 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2014
grin grin Better now than regret later. grin.

Looks like somebody have been getting a warning note from the Ogas. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by davdandam(m): 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2014
Sensitive issue right here.. May God help you with this decision o. Carrys my agbantara. Observing.

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
Who are the ones giving you pressure? Is your company not a private establishment? What then is the point of this:

Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.

Dont act as a dictator, make a comprehensive DISCLAIMER POLICY backed by Your Lawyers (if you ever have one) in signatory. Don' t you ever become a stooge for anyone no matter how highly placed!

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
Its depends on what you consider insult, if an official displays 1idiotic or clueless behaviour/decision, how do i describe him?

Stop messing with the politics section, honest advice

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by joywendy(f): 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
why?

4 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by femmy2010(m): 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
Frankly,i would advise to not go to that extent .
The beauty of Democracy is the freedom enjoyed,once this freedom of speech is removed then we as good as back in the days of the dark goggle wearing General(ABACHA)

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by cheiseabmw: 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lilimax:
A situation whereby our youths (currently aspiring to become something in life) will be insulting

you know not what you're saying

34 Likes

This is an infringement on basic freedom of human Rights. Especially as regards a very corrupt and wasteful government. You gradually want to destroy your forum. It's all up to you

37 Likes 1 Share

Lilimax:

Whether I call the President a doofoo or a clueless mofo or whatever is not anybody's business. He should stay away from public life if he is not ready for criticisms and insult. I am sure no one give a damn about some CEOs in their businesses.

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 21, 2014
diluminati:
You can not trample down on FREEDOM OF SPEECH! No matter What!
If your freedom of speech is defined as casting aspersions and maligning personalities with multiplicities of libels as can be sourced from your post's history, having a lock on your mouth or fingers rather, won't be that bad an idea.

- Blizard44 endorses this.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by hazyfm: 3:35pm On Oct 21, 2014
[size=18pt]Definition of NAIRALAND[/size]: A place where politicians visit to know the opinion of Nigerians since 2005.

Seun, Please don't change that.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by joywendy(f): 3:35pm On Oct 21, 2014
diluminati:
Who are the ones giving you pressure? Is your company not a private establishment? What then is the point of this:

Dont act as a dictator, make a comprehensive DISCLAIMER POLICY backed by Your Lawyers (if you ever have one) in signatory. Don' t you ever become a stooge for anyone no matter how highly placed!

exactly!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Panshow(m): 3:36pm On Oct 21, 2014
Pls don't do that. If the government are doing what they're suppose to do, no body will insult them.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 21, 2014
If the Government recognised the freedom of humanity, why did they ever introduce the FOI bill? Ask yourself Mr Seun. You really need to bring back nairaland to the days when it was like 4chan. What are your dreams? You had the dream of going into movies and script writing. I think you should dust it up now since you are gagging us in here now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by neenar: 3:37pm On Oct 21, 2014
Hell no! How will an insult be determined? If I call Jonathan a corrupt man, or Buhari an old man, will these also count as insults?

Also, moderators will most likely abuse this privilege and ban for ridiculous reasons. Disagree with him/her, and a "banned for calling so, so, so a thief" will appear on your profile!

Spreading of lies/defamation of character should be outlawed, but definitely not insults. I can't imagine "blessing" people who rob us blind...

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 21, 2014
diluminati:
If the Government recognised the freedom of humanity, why did they ever introduce the FOI bill? Ask yourself Mr Seun. You really need to bring back nairaland to the days when it was like 4chan. What are your dreams? You had the dream of going into movies and script writing. I think you should dust it up now since you are gagging us in here now
The guy is just funny, he doesn't know the basic tenet of a democracy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Lilimax(f): 3:37pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Whether I call the President a doofoo or a clueless mofo or whatever is not anybody's business. He should stay away from public life if he is not ready for criticisms and insult. I am sure no one give a damn about some CEOs in their businesses.
It'll suddenly become a Nairaland's business if you call your president such names on this forum smiley
Be ready to face the music. embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 21, 2014
blizard44:
If your freedom of speech is defined as casting aspersions and maligning personalities with multiplicities of libels as can be sourced from your post's history, having a lock on your mouth or fingers rather, won't be that bad an idea.

- Blizard44 endorses this.
If you find anything libelous, go to court. SIMPLE

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by cheiseabmw: 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
femmy2010:
Frankly,i would advise to not go to that extent .
The beauty of Democracy is the freedom enjoyed,once this freedom of speech is removed then we as good as back in the days of the dark goggle wearing General(ABACHA)

little wonder Seun looks like a hungry homeless person in comparison to other seasoned bloggers like Linda ikeji...n co.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lilimax:

It'll suddenly become a Nairaland's business if you call your president such names on this forum smiley
Be ready to face the music. embarassed
That we elected him as the president of this country does not mean he is the owner of nairaland. So if he continues to make a stupid1ty of himself over there, we will continue to insult him over here. angry

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Chongaiman: 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
. . .

Problem is that you can't provide a toilet for people to come and poo and then absolve yourself completely from their pooing.

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by tunery004(m): 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
Please don't............. I repeat don't or else..................

6 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:

Sure, it's none's business.

But you should at least save them the drama of your misnormal upbringing.

I doubt if any well-trained human will refer to someone as old as Gen Buhari or Even President Jonathan in such foul words you crave its usage.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Buhari Gets $1bn Loan From Adesina’s Led african Development Bank / COVID-19 Affected My Fight Against Corruption, Insecurity – Buhari / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.