Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon (31710 Views)

80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt / Yakubu Gowon's Son, Musa, Returns After 22Years In Prison / Obasanjo, Ambode At 80th Birthday Of Adebutu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kingthreat(m): 4:35pm On Oct 19, 2014
01karma:
So he killed millions for the Nigeria we are living today. I tell you solemly, you would die a mesirable dead and your body would be eatten by sahara vultures, Nigeria that you fight for would never know peace!!

Biafra would reign again.... angry

That will never happen. He is still hale and hearty while the coward who disguised as a woman is .... The more you support Biafra, the more you shall have more fruitless battles.

8 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by davidflipcy(m): 4:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
searchcorp:
That man should be tried for genocide in an international court.

Anyways, seeing today is sunday. I say "Happy Birthday. If you happen to live long enough then you might one day be tried for genocide."
Ojukwu should be tried instead assuming he is alive.

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by sarutobie(m): 4:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
oduaboy1:
Stop deluding yourself,Which takeover?Is sparepart and petty trading takeover.You guys control nada.Oya run to alaba and ladipo and go pay homage to babaloja grin grin grin grin
behind those many grinning smileys lie unfettered paranoia, the type of paranoia that forced your bro to open such a thread in the wee hours of the day..I wasn't the one who said it, it was from one of you.
www.nairaland.com/1862668/igbos-want-dominate-yorubas-lagos

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by LivingSoul34: 4:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
Gen. Yakubu Gowon is a Hero considering the fact he took over government at a very critical moment in the history of the country and also at a very tender age of 32. He prosecuted the civil war that threatened the unity of Nigeria. Some persons hate the Gen because of the civil war yet many Nigerians love him for standing on his ground and fighting that war to a logical conclusion. For me Gen Gowon did what any other person in his shoes would have done. I do not know of any Head of states/President that will gladly supervise the division of his country at least not before a fight. Forty four years after Gowon fought to secure the unity of Nigeria, many Nigerians still believe in one indivisible Nigeria.Even as polarized as Nigeria is today the current President, (GEJ), said several times that he would not preside of a divided Nigeria and while inaugurating the just concluded National Conference he said the only no-go- area for the conference is division of the country hence the "unity of Nigeria is no negotiable"... On this day of Gen. Gowon's 80th birth, i join millions of Nigerians home and abroad to celebrate the Hero of One Nigeria.... I'm persuaded that Nigeria shall overcome its present challenges and take its place at the world stage.

Long Live General Yakubu Gowon!
Long Live Dr. Good Luck Jonathan!!
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria!!!

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by fairheven: 4:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
Octaves:
The blood of the people he massacred between 1967 and 1970 will forever torment him. Have a terrible birthday!
He is already been tormented..he slaughtered millions to save Nigeria,now he can't even save his home state...Jos,plateu state ,is in pepertual turmoil...thas is karma

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by neuljosh(m): 4:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
Who gives a Bleep about this loser. Gowon can suck my d.ick for all I care

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by davidflipcy(m): 4:39pm On Oct 19, 2014
Happy birthday Sir. You did a wonderful job by bringing the flat heads back to 9ja . Gowon 1-0 Ojukwu

5 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by hisableplc(m): 4:39pm On Oct 19, 2014
The Good Old ones remains may God Keep The Few we have left
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by bimzy1212(f): 4:42pm On Oct 19, 2014
HBD sir

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by ismhab(m): 4:44pm On Oct 19, 2014
My hero is 80 years old, thank u 4 eradicating the criminals ones among us, happy birthday sir, wishing long life nd prosperity.

5 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by oduaboy1: 4:45pm On Oct 19, 2014
sarutobie:

behind those many grinning smileys lie unfettered paranoia, the type of paranoia that forced your bro to open such a thread in the wee hours of the day..I wasn't the one who said it, it was from one of you.
www.nairaland.com/1862668/igbos-want-dominate-yorubas-lagos
Which paranoia?The guy wants the world to know how greedy and covetous the yiboos are.Imagine leaving your erosion ravaged and clumped up land behind and coming to another man's land to tell them that you want the governoship position because you make up 90% of the populace and you control the economy(grandeur of self delusion),What audacity.We will keep deporting your ugly asses and the perpetual whinning your people are known for will be their only source of solace grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Lucasbalo(m): 4:52pm On Oct 19, 2014
fairheven:

Our usual style of celebrating mediocrity;the guy had opportunities to turn this country to a developed country,he squandered our commonwealth,after telling us that "our problem is not money but how to spend it"...obviously clueless on wat to invest our wealth on...for 9yrswat happened in Ghana(the Rawlings example )shud happen to this guys...my opinion
On that, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Have always believed Rawlings solution will be needed to save Nigeria from going under.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by conyema12(m): 4:54pm On Oct 19, 2014
LivingSoul34:
Gen. Yakubu Gowon is a Hero considering the fact he took over government at a very critical moment in the history of the country and also at a very tender age of 32. He prosecuted the civil war that threatened the unity of Nigeria. Some persons hate the Gen because of the civil war yet many Nigerians love him for standing on his ground and fighting that war to a logical conclusion. For me Gen Gowon did what any other person in his shoes would have done. I do not know of any Head of states/President that will gladly supervise the division of his country at least not before a fight. Forty four years after Gowon fought to secure the unity of Nigeria, many Nigerians still believe in one indivisible Nigeria.Even as polarized as Nigeria is today the current President, (GEJ), said several times that he would not preside of a divided Nigeria and while inaugurating the just concluded National Conference he said the only no-go- area for the conference is division of the country hence the "unity of Nigeria is no negotiable"... On this day of Gen. Gowon's 80th birth, i join millions of Nigerians home and abroad to celebrate the Hero of One Nigeria.... I'm persuaded that Nigeria shall overcome its present challenges and take its place at the world stage.

Long Live General Yakubu Gowon!
Long Live Dr. Good Luck Jonathan!!
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria!!!

there is no gainsay that he prevented the division of the country. There are other ways to do that without the massacre. ..period.

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2014
[quote
author=oduaboy1 post=27275737]Abeg Nigerians appreciate what he did for
the country,The only people having a grouse with him are the bloody
seccessionist from the east of the Niger grin grin grin grin[/quote]Speaking for yourself or tribe?You know my mom said she east lots of lizards those days....When she married my dad and relocated to lagos,after visiting the local market,she felt relieved.Please dont ask me why?cheesy
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by henryobinna(m): 5:00pm On Oct 19, 2014
lynpetra:
Yes my bruv.I was the ONLY one showing excitement.I was the ONLY onethat took pics with him.I felt like a fool,am telling you.Maybe because the passengers are majorly business men and women.Omo dem bone am.After plane touch ground,every carry thier bag waka as if smtn dey pursue them.
na wa oh.. anyway e fit be my people(ibos) cos of maybe the biafra war thing
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by 01karma(m): 5:01pm On Oct 19, 2014
kingthreat:

That will never happen. He is still hale and hearty while the coward who disguised as a woman is .... The more you support Biafra, the more you shall have more fruitless battles.
yea it is good he is still hale and hearty, so that he could see how mesirable the Nigeria he fought and killed for have become 44year after the civil war.

trust me, his mind would be filled with regret for what he did because Nigeria of today had nothing to write home about.

What could Nigeria have done without the igbos?? Ok now, just imagine Nigeria without the igbo, poor economic right? international trade 0% right ? Economic dominant in African 0% right? Low GDP right? ( igbo contribute 80% of Nigeria GDP if not more)? Filming industry 0% right? Technology would be -5% without the igbo, because even small camera made in Aba would be import by the lazy westerner and northerner!

I tell you solemly the death of the fateful Biafrans would remain in our heart and their death would be avenge very very soon.

Biafra would reign and nigeria would never know peace! angry

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by oduaboy1: 5:04pm On Oct 19, 2014
lynpetra:
Speaking for yourself or tribe?You know my mom said she east lots of lizards those days....When she married my dad and relocated to lagos,after visiting the local market,she felt relieved.Please dont ask me why?cheesy
And why is your mum blaming Gowon for the sin of ojukwu?

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by oduaboy1: 5:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
01karma:
yea it is good he is still hale and hearty, so that he could see how mesirable the Nigeria he fought and killed for have become 44year after the civil war.

trust me, his mind would be filled with regret for what he did because Nigeria of today had nothing to write home about.

What could Nigeria have done without the igbos?? Ok now, just imagine Nigeria without the igbo, poor economic right? international trade 0% right ? Economic dominant in African 0% right? Low GDP right? ( igbo contribute 80% of Nigeria GDP if not more)? Filming industry 0% right? Technology would be -5% without the igbo, because even small camera made in Aba would be import by the lazy westerner and northerner!

I tell you solemly the death of the fateful Biafrans would remain in our heart and their death would be avenge very very soon.

LMAO
80% of Nigeria gdp,diaris goduooo!!!

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
oduaboy1:
And why is your mum blaming Gowon for the sin of ojukwu?
is Gown your mentor?
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Olaone1: 5:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
The most stu.pid octogenarian. undecided
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
henryobinna:
na wa oh.. anyway e fit be my people(ibos) cos of maybe the biafra war thing
leave that thing.Its a very big plane conveying more than 200 passengers from Abuja to Lagos,na all be ibo?
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by 01karma(m): 5:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
oduaboy1:
LMAO
80% of Nigeria gdp,diaris goduooo!!!
prove me wrong!
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by oduaboy1: 5:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
lynpetra:
is Gown your mentor?
Yes and is anytin wrong with that?
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kingthreat(m): 5:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
01karma:

You're being foolish surrounded by foolish principles from foolish facts. Nigeria has come to stay.if you like, dwell on on your lunacy.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by oduaboy1: 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
01karma:
prove me wrong!
Lagos alone has a Gdp twice the whole of southeast.Stop making spurious claims.Am sure ebonyi's gdp is not even up to 500m

3 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Reference(m): 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
Happy Birthday Sir. A time like this calls for introspection. A time to take stock. To check how much influence that 'forbidden' generation (as I will like to call them) still has over the course of the destiny of this great country.

Sure Gowon won the 'civil battle' for Nigeria but the war is yet accomplished 43 years later. We are still in the furnace of nationhood. We remain as divided, fearful and antagonistic as anytime before 1967. No question asked then has been properly answered. There is still no trust across the Niger, no bond between tribe, tongue and religion.

The convenience of Federal Character which should have been 'a spare tyre' to get us to the next garage on our journey to development has unfortunately become a stifling, stagnating, permanent feature in our landscape.

So what did Gowon actually achieve beyond maintaining the Colonial map of the Niger. Nothing. Why is he celebrated. Frankly I don't know for it will take more than monumental effort to repair the damage he presided over. Under his watch corruption and nepotism became institutionalised. He watched his Generals and Colonels loot the country and build economic and social empires that still plague us today. He gave them an air of invincibility and arrogance that makes them desire to rule and reign till eternity. He elevated the man above the institution. He politicised the military and we are suffering it today.

Gowon's reign was not a success. He had so much opportunity and wasted much. We can never as a nation regain the innocence of those years. Our youthful vigour is lost perhaps forever.

Happy birthday General but I dream of the day when the last of that generation is gone so perhaps we can remember no more the past and look forward to a better future.

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kraftykc(m): 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
Those who are ready to die salute you. Death and life...whats the difference.

Gowon, its your birthday.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by msmon(m): 5:21pm On Oct 19, 2014
redcliff:

I dont understand why you have to beg for frontpage space..if your thread deserves it, it would. Stop being so cheap..damn..

Kindly take a look at my signature, that's the answer you deserve.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Deltagiant: 5:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
lynpetra:
HBD sir,i hqppen to board a commercial airline with you,i took pictures with you,i was happy i touched a one time president of my country.Unfortunately,the rest of the passengers pretended as if you dont exist!I went back to my seat in concealed shame.I thought you were 'highly' celebrated.I was wrong.

Pity u didn't know the man was/is a leper. The voice of men is the voice of God.Thank God you realized you were wrong.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by 01karma(m): 5:27pm On Oct 19, 2014
kingthreat:

You're being foolish surrounded by foolish principles from foolish facts. Nigeria has come to stay.if you like, dwell on on your lunacy.
hahahaha An average lazy Nigerians like you would continue to feed below $1 per day. Let me tell you Nigeria was never destined to be, earlier you know, the better for you.

Nigeria where the rich grow richer and the poor slumed in porverty, Nigeria where people live in fear, Nigeria where inflation rises with force and naira had no value

hahahahaha Gowon should cover his face in shame because Nigerian he fought for had failed him. grin grin
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
oduaboy1:
Yes and is anytin wrong with that?
nope.i asked because you are almost worshipping him.The difference btw you and mom is this;She acquired already all she lost and forged ahead after the war.And you,my brother,your character is more like crying more than the bereaved

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kingsley Moghalu's Presidential Rally In Abuja. / Abiola Ajimobi To Be Buried On Sunday As Family Releases Burial Arrangements / Blue Economy: 5 Things To Know About Tinubu’s New Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.