Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,147 members, 7,829,100 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! (34936 Views)

The Hidden History Of White Slavery! / The Whiteman And Emergence Of New Societies In Igboland. / Do You Believe In African Bullet Proof? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by tete7000(m): 7:20pm On Feb 23, 2015
devour129:
what about the bible saying whatever you do to your neighbor ,you done for me or whatever in bound on earth is bound in heaven . You cant say God won't recognise trad wedding. In fact to each man his own , the most important thing is we have been given the ability to discern what is right or wrong . I strongly believe trad in presence of our presence of our earthly presence trumps all others , the rest is just the paper which in Nigeria to an extent doesn't mean much coz people still do whatever they like .

It's really funny a feminine can come out and support this argument. Traditional religion and customary laws recognise and encourage polygamy, Christian marriage advocate monogamy - one man, one woman. How then can you tell me the two are one and the same? If you are a Christian woman, will you mind your husband have many wives? If yes, I doubt you are Christian indeed for that will conflict with the faith you profess, if no why are you living two-faced live? Based on this argument alone, you can see the laws upon which the two are based are contradictory and they cannot be one and same. Unfortunately when Christianity advocates these values, it is basically to uphold family structure and protect womanhood and wellbeing of children. It is thus unfortunate and sad when I see women come out and support this kind of idea. That people don't practice something does not invalidate the nobility of such thing. Infact it on basis of practice or non-practice of Godly vales that we have judgement with heaven and hell as rewards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by ceejay80s(m): 7:21pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:
As the name implies, 'white wedding' is a cultural way of getting married in the western world. Why do Africans now see it as superior to the normal African cultural marriage where two families meet and dowry is paid? Of what sense does it make to do African traditional marriage and still crown it all with this so-called annoying white wedding? Must we Africans wear those ill-fitting suits and gowns to prove that we have now been married? I personally think Africans are relegating their culture to the background and promoting the white man's culture!

I overheard a colleague of mine at work telling someone that it is a sin to sleep with your 'wife' if the white wedding is not done, even though the dowry has been paid. To me, that is the highest level of cultural inferiority and slavery!!! Are we saying that our cultural marriage is not sufficient? That it must be completed by white wedding?

Our women are not helping matters because they are the most significant agents of cultural slavery. With so much artificial stuffs on them-fake hair(Brazilian, Indian, Peruvian, Venezuelan, Colombian etc), fake eye-lashes, fake nails, fake names, etc, none would want to be married only in our traditional way. Tell a naija girl that you would want only a trad and see the speed she go take leave you. Even the speed of a Bugatti Veron dey learn.

White wedding, over the years, has been erroneously seen by many Africans (Nigerians) as a Christian practice. If truth be told, white wedding has nothing to do with Christianity. All the marriages that are recorded in the Bible were done in the trad way...from Genesis to Revelation. Even the one Jesus attended and performed His first miracle was done in the Jewish trad way. Jesus never went there as a bishop, pastor, etc to officiate the marriage. He went as every other guests.

We need to promote our culture because the whites do not marry in our own way. This reminds me of Mr Okadu and Mr Tsiba, characters in Kobina Sekyi's 'The Blinkard'.

White wedding is useless and irrelevant in our culture. It makes mockery of us.

Lets discuss this monster eating the brains of our people? Thanks. wink
Guy na proverty dey worry u cos if u get money like dem psquare, na for dubai u go do white wedding and do reception the same day in new york city
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by LILYCHERISH(f): 7:22pm On Feb 23, 2015
Make i make my own comment b4 space go full
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 7:40pm On Feb 23, 2015
Bluffly:

God does not need a certificate to recognise marriage, it is the humans that created a certificate. Did anyone in the Bible collected certificate? Certificate is for human regulation and not God's. Your marriage is recognised immediately your parents ascend to it and blesses the union with witnesses around. Traditional marriage is it then go to the marriage registry to get your certificate after due process has been followed.
But a certificate is needed for the State to recognize the marriage.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Rapmoney(m): 7:44pm On Feb 23, 2015
ceejay80s:

Guy na proverty dey worry u cos if u get money like dem psquare, na for dubai u go do white wedding and do reception the same day in new york city
Seriously, u sound like a kid! Grow up!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 7:55pm On Feb 23, 2015
stinggy:

1, 000 likes

You sound so much like a friend of mine, very brainy.

Why attach so much import to a silly sheet of paper or that miserable piece of metal

I am African. I hate white weddings!

Chimkaire, it is still 12AM, meet me under the agreed Oshodi bridge and let's tie the knot kiss grin grin
Odogwu ogo ka ibu grin

Ana ajukwa aju?

...And who and who "liked" this Stinggy's comment cheesy undecided
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by johncreek: 8:19pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney God will bless you for that article....
Have shared the gospel on social media...
Your knowledge will never diminish.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by johncreek: 8:20pm On Feb 23, 2015
Your knowledge will never diminish..
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Rapmoney(m): 8:21pm On Feb 23, 2015
johncreek:
Your knowledge will never diminish.
God bless u too smiley
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by stinggy(m): 8:23pm On Feb 23, 2015
chimkaire:
Odogwu ogo ka ibu grin

Ana ajukwa aju?

[s]...And who and who "liked" this Stinggy's comment[/s] cheesy undecided

Odogwu only is what I can pick cry write this thing in english joor angry

See beefment ooo grin grin
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 23, 2015
stinggy:

Odogwu only is what I can pick cry write this thing in english joor angry

See beefment ooo grin grin
Honorable in-law, naim you be grin
Who wan question that undecided
tongue
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Bluffly: 8:30pm On Feb 23, 2015
CFCfan:

But a certificate is needed for the State to recognize the marriage.

God knows no state. As I've said, certificate is for human regulation.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Profkomolafe(m): 8:31pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:
As the name implies, 'white wedding' is a cultural way of getting married in the western world. Why do Africans now see it as superior to the normal African cultural marriage where two families meet and dowry is paid? Of what sense does it make to do African traditional marriage and still crown it all with this so-called annoying white wedding? Must we Africans wear those ill-fitting suits and gowns to prove that we have now been married? I personally think Africans are relegating their culture to the background and promoting the white man's culture!

I overheard a colleague of mine at work telling someone that it is a sin to sleep with your 'wife' if the white wedding is not done, even though the dowry has been paid. To me, that is the highest level of cultural inferiority and slavery!!! Are we saying that our cultural marriage is not sufficient? That it must be completed by white wedding?

Our women are not helping matters because they are the most significant agents of cultural slavery. With so much artificial stuffs on them-fake hair(Brazilian, Indian, Peruvian, Venezuelan, Colombian etc), fake eye-lashes, fake nails, fake names, etc, none would want to be married only in our traditional way. Tell a naija girl that you would want only a trad and see the speed she go take leave you. Even the speed of a Bugatti Veron dey learn.

White wedding, over the years, has been erroneously seen by many Africans (Nigerians) as a Christian practice. If truth be told, white wedding has nothing to do with Christianity. All the marriages that are recorded in the Bible were done in the trad way...from Genesis to Revelation. Even the one Jesus attended and performed His first miracle was done in the Jewish trad way. Jesus never went there as a bishop, pastor, etc to officiate the marriage. He went as every other guests.

We need to promote our culture because the whites do not marry in our own way. This reminds me of Mr Okadu and Mr Tsiba, characters in Kobina Sekyi's 'The Blinkard'.

God bless u jare by blood broda, any gurl wey no do traditional, mk e waka.... I no fit dy waste money. Funniest of it all, they wont bother to ask what the post-wedding will be lyk. Theirs na 2 show dm self 4 jst one day....
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by stinggy(m): 8:53pm On Feb 23, 2015
chimkaire:
Honorable in-law, naim you be grin
Who wan question that undecided
tongue

In-law far na, mak we tie ds one first tongue

Qweshion me ke, noborry undecided
All road leads to Mbaise after the short one under that bridgecheesy cheesy
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 23, 2015
stinggy:

In-law far na, mak we tie ds one first tongue

Qweshion me ke, noborry undecided
All road leads to Mbaise after the short one under that bridgecheesy cheesy
Yes oooooooo
Odogwu's wedding under the bridge grin
Who's officiating this ish undecided grin
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 23, 2015
this one sabi the meaning of 'white wedding ' @ all?
you think it's all about wearing gown and marchin like March4buhari?

your phone has access to the internet, my brother do more research o.k.

in my Bible(God's words) it is a sin having sex outside his covenant.
'white wedding ' is also a traditional way of getting married, it's not a Whiteman's invention, it is a 'holy communion ' between man and woman. it is a covenant between both parties;man and woman(one) and God (one). a union between two.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by sweetgala(m): 9:28pm On Feb 23, 2015
What makes it worse , Christian Europeans and their descendants neither perform any other traditional rites or engagement, they may at best have an engagement dinner , the extent of which is dictated by the taste and financial capacity of the couple.

I have been thinking of how I would like my wedding to hold, and I so far have the basic blueprint

- I do not want a church/ christian wedding

- We may have an engagement dinner with few important family and friends as we choose fit not greater than 40 people

- I would like to observe Yoruba traditional rites and traditions (wedding event unlike what is normally) , present would be religious(pastor/imam/oluwo) etc members of my family/friends who may officiate as prescribed

- A legal document to show the marriage (maybe a visit to the registry with both parents)

Now being the selfish man I am, I do plan to and want to be best man and grooms man a few times before that, so someone friends who wonna do wedding naija way can carry go grin

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by stinggy(m): 9:38pm On Feb 23, 2015
chimkaire:
Yes oooooooo
Odogwu's wedding under the bridge grin
Who's officiating this ish undecided grin

**pensive**

Should I call on harry your friend
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by 702: 9:48pm On Feb 23, 2015
White wedding, black wedding, shrine wedding or wateva.
Jus give me the damn marriage cert lemmi sign!!!
I call this "legally married"!
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 23, 2015
stinggy:

**pensive**

Should I call on harry your friend
No be Harry na Charles undecided

Pagan Ninja your right hand man nko sad
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by stinggy(m): 9:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
chimkaire:
No be Harry na Charles undecided

Pagan Ninja your right hand man nko sad

Lolz...
PAGAN9JA is too busy for a non-ceremonial wedding na.

Should I call Olumide? He should know about it sef cheesy
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Ndipe(m): 10:14pm On Feb 23, 2015
It's not useless.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Rapmoney(m): 10:15pm On Feb 23, 2015
Profkomolafe:
God bless u jare by blood broda, any gurl wey no do traditional, mk e waka.... I no fit dy waste money. Funniest of it all, they wont bother to ask what the post-wedding will be lyk. Theirs na 2 show dm self 4 jst one day....
God bless u too, paddy mi smiley I look at societal practices sometimes and tell myself the bitter truth that most African suffer from cultural mental slavery.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 23, 2015
stinggy:

Lolz...
PAGAN9JA is too busy for a non-ceremonial wedding na.

Should I call Olumide? He should know about it sef cheesy
embarassed Olukolade nii kiss undecided
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by roughneck: 10:20pm On Feb 23, 2015
chynergy1:
NOT REALLY A PURE WASTE OF RESOURCES. JUST DID IT TO PLEASE MY WIFE WALAHI....
I DON'T ALWAYS SUBSCRIBE TO IT
I'm with you on this one brother.. You just gotta give it to them.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by roughneck: 10:44pm On Feb 23, 2015
tete7000:

[b]Nobody force you to do it. Leave those who believe in it. I really wonder why people always think their individual opinion can change an already enshrined culture. [/b]Whether you like it or not white wedding is already part of our culture. Culture is dynamic and changes with time.
The man has done nothing wrong by sharing his opinion about white wedding. He is entitled to one and he is not forcing it down your throat. He simply said lets discuss which means you can convince him to change his mind if you present a good argument.. Oga forget the Op, lets have your input
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Olufemiolaolu(m): 11:01pm On Feb 23, 2015
[quote author=Amusaopeyemi post=31009212]White wedding is useless. As a matter of fact I don't even believe in wedding sef.
It is pure waste of money. Why sign a piece of paper or wear one silly ring to prove my love to you?[/quote Hypocrisy of d highest order, abi u no be woman ni? every woman dream of their wedding day abeg.
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Olufemiolaolu(m): 11:02pm On Feb 23, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:
White wedding is useless. As a matter of fact I don't even believe in wedding sef.
It is pure waste of money. Why sign a piece of paper or wear one silly ring to prove my love to you?
Haba u wanna to be an oshofree ni? Its easier said than done cheesy
Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by harry509: 11:27pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:

I equally tought dsame way 2. For me white weddn is irrelevant n our society. For me traditional weddn on d way bcus am an afrika man. I shud b d 1 2 decide hw my weddn shud b like. God bless it n advance 4 me AMEN.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by koyyess: 11:48pm On Feb 23, 2015
Rapmoney:

Who says certificate cannot be issued after a trad marriage? Would it not be the normal thing to do? And for your info, I never complained of white wedding being too expensive. When will you have sense The clothes we wear is just a case of world wide civilization!!! What are clothes made from? Cotton plants! Don't cotton grow in Africa? Or is it found only in the West? When has wearing clothes made from cotton become foreign culture? Abeg go sleep joor!
And what are white dresses and suits made of, wood? Your post is filled with hate and hypocrisy. Very childish of you. It's your kind of woman that will complain of infidelity on the part of her husband when in actual fact, people who eventually attend her traditional wedding know that the African culture permits polygamy. Why wouldn't most women prefer white weddings?

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by Blackkie: 11:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
Once you are talking about white wedding as being of NO use - you must be careful about fanatics.

I wonder why an African will perform 3 weddings.
They careless about the cost, unfortunately families will help their family member to wed instead of getting a job or setting them up in a business.

Then the church wedding has the least impact in our social and legal life.

1 Like

Re: The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! by macof(m): 11:52pm On Feb 23, 2015
tete7000:

You know your problem? You are poorly educated and rebellious towards anything church and you carry that into different aspects of life. Culture I repeat is dynamic (ask people who went to school and are trained in this area). Elements from other cultures that gets in contact with our traditional society gets assimilated into our culture and becomes part of our lives and culture. Christianity if we are to list elements of our contemporary African culture will be listed as one of our modern religion. Since our forefathers embraced Christianity, they invariably embraced white wedding, so if you don't want or believe in white wedding its your right; find a wife from the traditional religion, pay her bride price and go to the shrine to marry her. Stop talking trash and confuse people here. Many who are Christians are not oppose to white wedding. Leave them with their right and conscience. You can also see you are the illiterate and slowpoke.

Then which ever of your forefathers that accepted a retrogressive religion that insults their identity as an independent people must be a moronic slave like you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? / Suitor Dies In Katsina Marriage Flogging Game / The New Orimolusi Of Ijebu-Igbo, Lawrence Adebajo & His Convoy Hailed By Crowd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.