Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,638 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. (3694 Views)

Asthmatic Patient Escapes Death In Port-Harcourt (Photos) / Urgent Help For Asthmatic Patient!! / Asthmatic Patients,share Your Experiences And What Medication Works For You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by safarigirl(f): 6:43pm On Oct 20, 2014
Hey guys, do you or anyone you know suffer from asthma? Please let's all come here and educate each other.

My mother died of Asthma and I'm currently having a bout with it (mine surfaces occassionally)...the last time it was this bad for me was in 2011. Funny enough, I've not quite grasped how to prevent it from escalating (use of inhaler remains my biggest challenge)

We can all share ideas on how to keep ourselves healthy, control, and if possible how to removee it from our systems totally.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by safarigirl(f): 6:46pm On Oct 20, 2014
Who is at risk?

Although the cause of asthma is unknown, a number of things that can increase your chances of developing the condition have been identified. These include:

1. A family history of asthma or other related allergic conditions (known as atopic conditions) such as eczema, food allergy or hay fever

2. Having another atopic condition

3. Having bronchiolitis (a common childhood lung infection) as a child
childhood exposure to tobacco smoke, particularly if your mother also smoked during pregnancy 

4. Being born prematurely, especially if you needed a ventilator to support your breathing after birth (this is me)

5. Having a low birth weight as a result of restricted growth within the womb

6. Some people may also be at risk of developing asthma through their job.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by Aitee1: 6:50pm On Oct 20, 2014
That means yours is hereditary

I understand such can only be controlled not cured

It stops with time

By His grace ain't a victim though but got friends suffering from it

I do feel for them when the crisis set in

I believe the doc in here will come in and assist

But I have a question...does it has anyth to do with one's genotype?
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by safarigirl(f): 6:51pm On Oct 20, 2014
What Triggers An Asthma Attack?

1. Respiratory tract infections – particularly infections affecting the upper airways, such as colds and the flu

2. Allergens – including pollen, dust mites, animal fur or feathers

3. Airborne irritants – including cigarette smoke, chemical fumes and atmospheric pollution

4. Medicines – particularly the class of painkillers called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which includes aspirin and ibuprofen, and beta-blockers sometimes given for high blood pressure or some types of heart disease

5. Emotions – including stress or laughing

6. Foods Containing Sulphites – naturally occurring substances found in some food and drinks, such as concentrated fruit juice, jam, prawns and many processed or pre-cooked meals

7. Weather Conditions – including a sudden change in temperature, cold air, windy days, thunderstorms, poor air quality and hot, humid days

8. Indoor conditions – including mould or damp, house dust mites and chemicals in carpets and flooring materials
exercise

9. Food Allergies – including allergies to nuts or other food items

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by safarigirl(f): 6:54pm On Oct 20, 2014
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Asthma/Pages/Causes.aspx
Aitee1:
That means yours is hereditary
I understand such can only be controlled not cured
It stops with time
By His grace ain't a victim though but got friends suffering from it
I do feel for them when the crisis set in
I believe the doc in here will come in and assist
But I have a question...does it has anyth to do with one's genotype?
it may. When I went to the hospital in 2011, the doc asked my genotype. I tolg her AA (that's what I was sure of) and she laughed and said an AA cannot have asthmatic attacks.

I was handed an AS, but another blood test was done on me in school earlier this year and my genotype read AA, so it's still kind of hazy
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by Aitee1: 7:00pm On Oct 20, 2014
safarigirl:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Asthma/Pages/Causes.aspx
it may. When I went to the hospital in 2011, the doc asked my genotype. I tolg her AA (that's what I was sure of) and she laughed and said an AA cannot have asthmatic attacks.

I was handed an AS, but another blood test was done on me in school earlier this year and my genotype read AA, so it's still kind of hazy

That's why I asked cos most of the people I know that suffers from it are AS. You have to go to teaching hospital and confirm ur genotype then.

Or if u know ur parent's (both) genotype it can help.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by safarigirl(f): 7:00pm On Oct 20, 2014
These are Some Home Remedies:

1. Ginger
Ginger is a well-known natural treatment for various ailments including asthma. Researchers have found that it can help reduce airway inflammation and inhibit airway contraction. Plus, studies indicate that it has compounds that may enhance the muscle relaxant effects of certain asthma drugs.

How To Prepare

Mix equal quantities of ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey. Consume one tablespoon of this mixture two or three times a day.

Alternatively, you can mix one teaspoon of ground ginger in one and a half cups of water and take one tablespoon of this mixture at bedtime.

Cut one inch of ginger into small pieces and add it to a pot of boiling water. Let it steep for five minutes, allow it to cool down and then drink it.

To detoxify your lungs, prepare a fenugreek decoction by boiling one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and mixing one teaspoon each of ginger juice and honey in it. Drink this solution every morning and evening.

You can also eat raw ginger mixed with salt.

2. Coffee
The caffeine in regular coffee can help control asthma attacks because it acts as a bronchodilator. Hot coffee also will relax and clear the airways to help you to breathe easier. The stronger the coffee, the better the result.

But try not to drink more than three cups of black coffee in a day. If you do not like coffee, you can opt for a cup of hot black tea. Do not use caffeine as a regular treatment though.

3. Honey

Honey is one of the oldest natural cures for asthma. The alcohol and ethereal oils in honey help reduce asthma symptoms.

Just inhaling the smell of honey produces positive results for some people.

You can also mix one teaspoon of honey into a glass of hot water and drink it slowly about three times a day.

Before going to bed, swallow one teaspoon of honey with one-half teaspoon of cinnamon powder. This will help remove phlegm from your throat and allow you to sleep better.

http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-asthma.html/3
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by YungwizzzyChina: 7:01pm On Oct 20, 2014
Nice thread
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by safarigirl(f): 7:03pm On Oct 20, 2014
Aitee1:

That's why I asked cos most of the people I know that suffers from it are AS. You have to go to teaching hospital and confirm ur genotype then.

Or if u know ur parent's (both) genotype it can help.
dad is AA, mum is AS
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by Aitee1: 7:08pm On Oct 20, 2014
safarigirl:
dad is AA, mum is AS

Okay...

U really need to confirm ur genotype from a teaching hospital.

Just take all the needed precautions and you'll be fine.
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by Phateamah(f): 8:01pm On Oct 20, 2014
First, asthma is not genotype-dependent, u being AA doesnt make u auto immune ( I'm AA n a patient myself)
Second, Really or do I say personally, i do not really believe der is a cure rayher I manage myself well by avoiding things that trigger it e.g. pepper, dust, palm oil n d lyks.
Third, u should always av yur medications with u such as ventolin, prednisolone, loratyn, cattarh tabs n ol.
Fourth, cold triggers myn, so 1ce I v cattarh, I treat myself fast, dont wait tilk u av difficulties with yr breathing
Last but not d least z d issue if inhaler, if u can get a ventolin inhaler, or a seretide diskus or both. D latter is very good but doesnt provide immediate remedy, it z recommended 2 b taken daily as it calms any attempt of attavk, while d former is good for attacks as it mks respiration easier in eventvof an attack.
Manage yourself well, know yur DOs n dont go near d DONTs n voila
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by safarigirl(f): 8:17pm On Oct 20, 2014
Phateamah:
First, asthma is not genotype-dependent, u being AA doesnt make u auto immune ( I'm AA n a patient myself)
Second, Really or do I say personally, i do not really believe der is a cure rayher I manage myself well by avoiding things that trigger it e.g. pepper, dust, palm oil n d lyks.
Third, u should always av yur medications with u such as ventolin, prednisolone, loratyn, cattarh tabs n ol.
Fourth, cold triggers myn, so 1ce I v cattarh, I treat myself fast, dont wait tilk u av difficulties with yr breathing
Last but not d least z d issue if inhaler, if u can get a ventolin inhaler, or a seretide diskus or both. D latter is very good but doesnt provide immediate remedy, it z recommended 2 b taken daily as it calms any attempt of attavk, while d former is good for attacks as it mks respiration easier in eventvof an attack.
Manage yourself well, know yur DOs n dont go near d DONTs n voila
thanks lots. Please how are the medications like prednisolone and loratyne administered and what's their average price especially that of seretide diskus?
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by Phateamah(f): 1:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
When u start seeing symptoms of an attack then u can take them, 1 each in d morning and night... d tablets sell for 120-150 per satchet and seretide frm 3900 to 4k...
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by Fugitive: 6:33am On Nov 02, 2014
Phateamah is right about what she said. Its not genotype dependent. What she also listed is what i use to handle mine.The environmental factors are very important to look out for. When i am going out of the house,a ventoline inhaler is always in my pocket. You must be able to know when an attack is about to build up and avert it. Dont wait till you begin to experience difficulties in breathing. Its an ailment that makes me alert 24hours.
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by femisoyebo(m): 9:38pm On Nov 05, 2014
I REALLY FEEL YOUR PAIN BUT NO MATTER THERE WILL ALWAYS BE LIGHT AT THE END...USE TO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS NO CURE UNTIL A FRIEND'S SON BORN WITH THIS AILMENT WAS CURED AFTER WE APPLY GREEN LIFE HERBAL MEDICINE...FOR A PERIOD OF TIME AFTER WHICH THE PROBLEM GRADUALY DISAPPEAR....
GREEN LIFE HERBAL MEDICINE CAN DEAL WITH ASTHMA...PLS DON'T LOSE UP..

CONTACT MR FEMI FOR MORE INFO
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by Nobody: 7:02am On Nov 06, 2014
nice thread.

i thought there is already a thread for this?
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by vaninderangrish: 5:15pm On Mar 28, 2015
Asthmatics may be allergic to specific foods and if you are one, you will have found out which ones work against you.
for more details plz visit my site http://www.healthbeautyblogs.com/articles-nutrition-food/nutrition-a-panacea-for-asthma
Re: A Thread For Asthmatic Patients. by snosoar: 10:58pm On Aug 29, 2018
SNOSeeds - Think Health, Think Black Seed!

While we don't know if or what you've known about a medicinal herb / spice called black seed (Nigella sativa),

What we know for sure and are enthusiastic to inform you about is that black seed prevents / cures all diseases except death - It's perhaps the best elixir!

Researchers the world over have confirmed this folklore or scriptural fact as seen in over 600 scientific publications on this little sized but immensely great powerhouse of nutrients that intimidates the best man-made combination of nutrients in multivitamins / antioxidants.

Specifically for asthma, this link (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=395530997523237&id=394649457611391) shows how black seed clearly outperformed orthodox medicine, despite not being toxic like them.

In fact, Onifade et al (Nigerian Researchers from UCH - University College Hospital, Ibadan alongside their counterpart from the United Kingdom) have published papers where black seed has cured HIV over and again, one of which is referenced in this post: https://web.facebook.com/SNOSeeds/posts/439518526457817

Whao! What a companion is black seed, it wonderfully assists with more quantity and quality of milk production in breastfeeding mothers as seen with evidences of published research and case studies in this link https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=478353295907673&id=394649457611391&ref=bookmarks, even while it helps with infertility as evidenced in below paragraphs.

Yes, black seed increased male fertility by working on vital parameters of the sperm like sperm count and motility, even while increasing the quality, further information on scientific studies that confirmed this is seen at https://web.facebook.com/SNOSeeds/posts/397053537370983. Also, female hormonal balance as needed in regulating many syndromes in females has been recorded severally by black seed from menstrual disorders to fibroid and infertility amidst many others.

The miraculous effectiveness of this herb that contains over 100 nutrients (some of which are even yet to be characterized) is such that it dynamically confronts any health challenge by working forward or backward towards Wellness as necessary, for example, it can help for boosting or tempering immunity, it can work to decrease or increase blood pressure as needed - What a feat!

We are elated to inform you that we at SNOSeeds know the formulations, dosages, and duration for concoctions based mainly on black seed and honey, even while we as well sell them amidst other products of alternative medicine therapies across the nation at the best market prices thinkable.

At SNOSeeds, We're simply your one-stop center when it comes to evidence-based natural / alternative medicine.

Kindly look up and like our Facebook page on www.facebook.com/SNOSeeds to keep up with our posts on natural health gems.

Contact us:
08133531930 (Whatsapp Inclusive)
snoworlddocs@gmail.com

Yours in Sound Health,
Nurudeen Soremekun

(1) (Reply)

If Your Skin Is Oily - Never Do These 8 Things / Amazing Natural Infection Supplements For Men And Women / Covid-19: I Just Tested Positive To The Corona Virus. (twitter User Shares)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.