Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,806 members, 7,813,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (76064 Views)

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading / Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by trustone(m): 7:13am On Oct 23, 2014
this is a good move
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Gendave: 7:14am On Oct 23, 2014
It should go beyond passing a bill, make it happen bcoz nigerian politicians are known to make hell of noise nd notin happens, gud exmaple is d nepa compulsary charge rubbish nd notin has happened

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by fpeter(f): 7:15am On Oct 23, 2014
This is so long overdue! But seeing these. Same reps enjoy free viewing,can anything good come out of this?

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by nkowaputa(m): 7:15am On Oct 23, 2014
Lets hope this ends well....
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by LilPeezy(m): 7:15am On Oct 23, 2014
GogetterMD:

Their pictures and audio quality is poor
Lolz!!!!Den aw u go describe multi tv?Very poor ghana shits....Local like madt

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by rmjoshua(m): 7:15am On Oct 23, 2014
I wonder when Nigeria will truly realise this simple truth.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by femiman007(m): 7:16am On Oct 23, 2014
They stopped paying their usual bribes to the reps, I think.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 23, 2014
I was expectng this after south africa seized our money. I pray they seize more so dat mtn too will follow!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 23, 2014
I pay N13,800 for premium, and I pay it annually, but the annoying thing is, even though I pay for Premium, I still spend over N5,000 on Box Office to rent movies per month on the Explora Decoder. This is not the worst, the worst is that their customer service number is MTN, and you pay for calling customer service and listening to nonsense music while waiting for a customer service attendant that might not even pick the call, so you end up paying for listening to music and shit......

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by joseph1832(m): 7:17am On Oct 23, 2014
And this is what government is suppose to do: protect its citizens from being arbitrarily abused and used.

Now its time for DSTV to bribe the members of the house just to ensure that this bill doesn't come into fruition!.

All in all, we are watching.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by tolustx(m): 7:17am On Oct 23, 2014
GogetterMD:

The monopoly has been just too long. I'd only others could add live football streaming channels, the monopoly would surely be broken
Getting the rights to show live matches too is d issue. We all rememba wat happened wen HiTv was in d market. They tried to remove dat monopoly but dstv was too strong.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by gbodimowo(m): 7:19am On Oct 23, 2014
Stupidity of the highest ordee
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by LilPeezy(m): 7:19am On Oct 23, 2014
It is well wih DSTV....Picture n audio quality so onpoint......why dis mumu ghana multi tv nor won juz updrade sef......all d channels dere r very annoyin n local....Anyway Nice Move Sha
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 23, 2014
valleygirl:
The bill will soon die. Dstv will send PR expert to them and they will look the other way like NBC is presently doing. Election is coming, politicians need PR.
[s]Seun or Mod too will not send this to the front page bc this may affect the advert they get from Dstv.[/s] Just guessing!!
Edited

You re really a valley girl. grin
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Johnnoo(m): 7:20am On Oct 23, 2014
Sleeping leaders!!! Na now una dey wake up
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by ozo13(m): 7:21am On Oct 23, 2014
grin na dem sabi.in as much as mY qsat is working dey can even bill 100000.with 300 naira it will take me tru the whole month.big tanx to alaba boiz
thunder74:
The House of Representatives moved on Tuesday to contain the “arbitrary” subscription rates charged by Multichoice for its Digital Satellite Television services in the country.

The House observed that high pricing by Dstv had made access to its “premium” programming difficult for the majority of Nigerians.

It also noted that lack of competition in the digital satellite broadcast industry had encouraged a monopoly giving firms such as Multichoice the “undue advantage” of blocking the efforts of other firms to enter the market and crash prices.

Lawmakers particularly opposed a “rigid” subscription policy that permanently billed subscribers “whether they are at home viewing programmes or not.”

A bill to stop such stranglehold on the industry passed second reading at the House on Tuesday.

The bill, which was sponsored by a member from Adamawa State, Mrs. Aisha Dahiru-Modibbo, sought to amend the National Broadcasting Commission Act to guarantee openness and competition in the industry.

The long title of the bill reads, “A Bill for an Act to Amend the National Broadcasting Commission Act to Provide for Competition in Nigeria, to Promote Efficiency and Expand Opportunities for Participation of Nigerians in World Markets, while at the same time recognising the Role of Foreign Competition in Nigeria and for other Matters Related thereto.”

Leading the debate on the bill, Dahiru-Modibbo said while Nigeria was not against foreign participation in the local economy but such involvement should not be to the detriment of Nigerians.

She noted that there were indigenous firms which could also render premium satellite broadcast programming to Nigerians, but complained that “deliberate actions” by monopolies stifled the firms.

“In every country, measures are taken to protect the people.

“What is happening to us in Nigeria does not happen elsewhere on the continent.

“It is high time our regulatory body, the NBC was positioned to protect Nigerians from this arbitrary actions,” she stated.

The House Deputy Leader, Mr. Leo Ogor, wondered why Nigeria, one of the countries with the largest subscriber base of Dstv services, hardly received the kind of “subscriber-friendly offers” that were offered to the citizens of other African countries.

“You have a situation in the telecommunications industry, for example, where you are billed as you go or use your mobile phones.

“You pay for what you use. We should be having pay as you view or watch as well.

“Why should Nigerians continue to pay for Dstv services whether they are at home using the service or not?” Ogor asked.

He cited Kenya as one of the countries that had taken measures to contain the excesses of Dstv and other foreign digital satellite TV service providers.

Seasoned broadcaster and Chairman, House Committee on Diaspora Affairs, Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, lent her voice to the debate, supporting a call for more subscriber-friendly pricing in Nigeria.
http://www.punchng.com/news/reps-move-to-end-dstv-monopoly/

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by festico: 7:22am On Oct 23, 2014
they need money thats y the bill surfaced.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Kaxmytex(m): 7:22am On Oct 23, 2014
Nice move
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 23, 2014
No doubt DSTV monopoly is overdue for review. But what of Dangote monopoly.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by jovalkom(m): 7:23am On Oct 23, 2014
This is good news but should be extended to other areas of the economy e.g. All this Indians, Lebanese, Chinese etc who come to our country and enslave our peopld should also be curtailed. We claim to be the giant of Africa but everyone is taking us for a ride. Which sort of giant will allow another person pokd a stick in his eyes. The citizens are the bedrock of nationhood yot dont abandon them to the fate of foreigners
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by SIRcumalot: 7:23am On Oct 23, 2014
Cheap and Fast internet service will eventually kill DSTV.

5 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:23am On Oct 23, 2014
Space bookers shaaaa....

Ah don't blame DSTV, rather i blame other TV satellite providers for not having the competitive strategy to deal with them.... Just take a look at Star Times naaaa....Poor Audio and Visual Quality.... Who wants that.... I don't know what they think. THEY NEED CUSTOMERS, buh won't improve their TV services.... Nigeria is a monopolised country already .... In every sector.... No competition.... The only sector they've got competition is Hotel And Brothels

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 23, 2014
shachris03:
Its simple. This is democracy and free market. If they want to beat DSTV, the should provide us with a cable service better than DSTV and gbam! DSTV would be out of the market before you say jack.

This is just a ploy to bring in one chinese mediocre company that would end up ripping Nigerians off, like they are doing with startimes.

which ploy .... other African countries pay per view.... y can't we have dt... dstv z exploiting Nigerians and we have to put a stop to it.....
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 23, 2014
nonsensical and nonsensically, those fools and criminals just waking up from their slumber since how many years now? as for me oooo all na wash, those chimpanzees inside aso rock need some money for up coming election, they need bribe from DSTV.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:25am On Oct 23, 2014
kITATITA:
No doubt DSTV monopoly is overdue for review. But what of Dangote monopoly.
Thatz what i am talking bout... Nigeria is monopolised in all sector
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by henryobinna(m): 7:25am On Oct 23, 2014
QMark:
This is only good news if they have a better alternative.

Like HiTV abi? They were more more arrogant brand during their 2 EPL reigns. And picture quality was not to far from that of LTV 8

True.

I pay N13,450 per month. That's paying about One Million Naira (N1,000,000) to watch TV for only 6 years. That's the price of 1 plot of land in some outskirt of Lagos. Chai. I cant wait or the success of this move.
you're sick!
wether better alternative is available or not this is still a goodmove
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by idris4r83(m): 7:25am On Oct 23, 2014
doesn't stop us from voting out GEJ come 2015

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Ogbodavies(m): 7:26am On Oct 23, 2014
what have they been waiting for.........
abi no more settlement from ds.v.......
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 23, 2014
valleygirl:
The bill will soon die. D[b]stv will send PR expert to them and they will look the other way like NBC is presently doing. Election is coming, politicians need PR. [/b]
[s]Seun or Mod too will not send this to the front page bc this may affect the advert they get from Dstv.[/s] Just guessing!!
Edited

O ye of little faith wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Bbnaija: 2face Idibia Supports Kiddwaya / The Gardener's Daughter: TV Soap Opera / What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.