Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,704 members, 7,813,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (76062 Views)

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading / Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 23, 2014
In this era of no money...I.usually hack my way into gaddem channel on dstv...as they block,I unblock and it continues
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by iyobs7(f): 8:07am On Oct 23, 2014
It is not difficult, let them start it now, shabi NTA now has their own cable kini, startimes?
We a nigerians think it is easy to maintain the cost of providing services like cable tv that runs for 24hours non stop without any form of constant power or electricity... dstv should leave now, thousands of nigerians will loose their jobs, viewing centre owners will loose money, oh is it startimes that will now show premiership and champions league or maybe big brother africa that I know some nigerians sleep and wake up with?!

Instead of those clueless, selfish men at house of reps to find a way to solve electricity problem, they are busy deceiving the gullible ones... These men even if they have 20 houses, each of them will even have more than one dstv sef...

Nigerians deceiving themselves, what are they representing? They are not even educated sef, how will they know the meaning of feasibility study... You think they are here to provide service for free abi?! It is business and profit is their aim, they wont power their own equipment themselves and still give out services to the detriment of their aim, which is to make profit...

Politicians deceiving gullible ones...

And the gullible ones shouting yes yes nice move nice move and they look down and laugh mumu people...

8 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by killercute16(m): 8:08am On Oct 23, 2014
ozo13:
grin na dem sabi.in as much as mY qsat is working dey can even bill 100000.with 300 naira it will take me tru the whole month.big tanx to alaba boiz
300naira ke...airtel 200naira recharge card is enough.....All the same thanks too our alaba boiz(illiterates that can decode anything)

6 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 23, 2014
It's about time, this is long overdue undecided undecided i have been paying for premium DSTV for years that i watch only about 6 days in a month thanks to work. Its not that its very cheap its just that if i want to watch TV once a month i want to be able to watch whatever i want to watch.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by akinsadeez(m): 8:10am On Oct 23, 2014
QMark:

Tell me what part of my post says this is not a good move.

I chose to ignore the "sick" part of your post. I don't want to make a fellow man cry this morning.

Hehehehehe. Damn! making a fellow man cry in the morning. that's a sick rejoinder. grin
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by inkz: 8:11am On Oct 23, 2014
dstv scamming Nigerians since 19th century
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by chukwudy: 8:13am On Oct 23, 2014
God bless dis woman....huz of rep oya do approve dat bill...dstv exploitation don too much...pay as u view na em sure pass
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by LEXYCOM: 8:15am On Oct 23, 2014
Too late jare. .....after dsvt has milked us finish....
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Candybob(m): 8:16am On Oct 23, 2014
Even the pay as you use plan is still a rip off! Those that subscribe on those ISPs claiming to have LTE platforms like Swift and Smile can testify. Something needs to be done about them too.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:
The House of Reps Members are clueless I swear..

DSTV does not have any monopoly, they are simply the best in the Market and thats why all their competitors cant keep up. #Period.

The moment the reps fhuck with Multichoice, they would either water down their programming to match whatever rates the government imposes of them or pack up and leave..

The competition that came in the form of HITV saw how difficult the satellite game was and folded up.

Cable TV is not cheap anywhere in the world. DSTV prices are almost similar across Africa.. WHy is it Nigerians that keep complaining as if DSTV is part of their fundamental human right as a Nigerian. Why has the House of Reps not audited NTA to find out why the biggest Government owned Television station in Africa is so useless.

I tire. See people blathering as if cable tv is a fundamental human right and not a luxury.

Do they think the rich selection of channels is for dash?

If our ISPs got their ish together, the likes of Hulu and Netflix could set up shop in Nigeria and the competition would force Dstv pricing down.

I hardly watch Dstv, ( download my fav shows in 720p) but the missus loves her e and telemundo.

Same way the best kids channels are on premium.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by mikeapollo: 8:20am On Oct 23, 2014
I will be happy to see these things happen. But truth is, charity begins at home.

The Reps should make the president and the thieving NNPC crash diesel and petrol prices first because that is what companies use to power their operations. Thereafter, they should make PHCN to remove the monthly service charge of N750 on their prepaid meters.......then they will have the moral guts to ask a multinational company like DSTV to follow suit.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 23, 2014
Enough of DSTV monopoly.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by MadCow1: 8:23am On Oct 23, 2014
Nigerians are their own worst Enemy

Good Move people say.. I laugh.

Has anybody bothered to ask why DSTV is the King of African Satellite Television?! The answer is simple;

1.Innovation.. Lets look back to when the cable satellite game started in ernest in Nigeria. It was DSTV with that Giant Dish that takes almost 3 days to install and Multi-cipher (or something like that). Multicipher didnt blow up because they didnt have as much programmes and content as DSTV. In the period between when the cable game started and now, DSTV has gone from through about 3 sizes of Dish each better than the next. DSTV has gone through many evolutions in the cable box, from the standard single view box, to the dual view to the HD PVR box to the Explora box presently and you and I know that it wouldnt take more than 4 years for the next best thing from DSTV to drop.

They simply dont stop thinking up ways to improve on their product and brand name.

2. Programme Content. Whereas all other Cable companies just steal free-to-air stations like Star Movies, Star World, Trace, CNN, Al-Jezerra, Cartoon Network and co from Arab and Indian satellites, DSTV actually owns the right to their content. Meaning, they invested in actually developing programme content. SO they get the rights to air the stations from the original owners and then modify it for their purpose before putting it out. Thats why even the MTV base from DSTV varies with that from the Arabs.

HITV came in and thought the bane of DSTV's monopoly was their Football broadcast rights.. grin So they plotted a hostile takeover by paying way too darn much for the broadcast license, limiting DSTV to just 1 or 2 matches. What they forgot was that DSTV was more than soccer. Soccer was only 3 hours max on certain days out of their entire programme schedule. So what do they have to offer on days when the EPL is off? NOTHING.. What about kids programming?! NOTHING... What of the mums that love African Movies and stuff? Nothing.. Thats what killed HITV... They looked only at football.. grin Poor business strategy..

3. Customer Service. When you call their helpline, they answer. They even automated their system with the SMS auto help system. Making it easy to access help even in the middle of the night.

4. Marketing.. DSTV is the King of Programme marketing. At every point in the Calender year, DSTV has atleast 2 key programmes running. Now we have the EPL, Champions League, Carling Cup, X-factor, Idols, Big Brother, Project Fame, **** got talent, e.t.c.. Their is never a time when something isnt on T.V to watch.

5. Quality.. If not for DSTV, Nigerians would not even be able to watch matches being played in Nigeria on T.V. AIT, NTA, SILVERBIRD, e.t.c all dont have the capacity to broadcast local events live and in good picture. Its so shameful. Until DSTV came into the game, Nigerians did not even know what a Nigerian Local League Game looked like nor the atmosphere of it. DSTV brings you the CAF Nations cup, womens football, Nigerian League, Zambian league, Southafrican league, etc live and in High definition.

Infact, the stations with the worst picture quality on DSTV are all the Nigerian Stations .. grin

Let poverty mentality not eat away our ability to reason well. DSTV is the king because they are just too darn good. If you want quality,, then you have got to pay for it cos it means someone is working hard to bring you the best.

These South Africans know how to do business in Africa. They understand the business clime and strive to be the best. Look at MTN for example. Whislt Econet and Nitel were busy coasting, they were investing billions to take over the market fastest. Today, though they have kind of peaked and their network over packed, they are still number one amongst all only followed by the Arabs (Etisalat).

I love my DSTV cos their is no alternative.. I support the free market system. The day a better company comes, DSTV will no longer be the king.

And just so you know, the price of DSTV subscirption is almost uniform across africa (factoring in exchange rates and clime). Also, premium cable costs money. Those in the UK and the U.S should tell us how much their 'FULL' subscription package on their SKY digiboxes, Bell Tv, Rogers TV, AT&T and co costs..

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Pavore9: 8:23am On Oct 23, 2014
l hiss! here in Kenya CNN, Al-jazeera,BBC is shown on local stations from midnight to 6a.m so people whey no get money go follow enjoy!

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Bobbyjay001(m): 8:29am On Oct 23, 2014
QMark:
This is only good news if they have a better alternative.

Like HiTV abi? They were more more arrogant brand during their short EPL reigns. And picture quality was not to far from that of LTV 8

True.

I pay N13,450 per month. That's paying about One Million Naira (N1,000,000) to watch TV for only 6 years. That's the price of 1 plot of land in some outskirt of Lagos. Chai. I cant wait or the success of this move.

To be on the conservative side, let's say they have 1,000,000 premium subscribers. If my math has not failed me, that's N1,000,000,000,000 (someone should help me write this in words) for 6 years.
Wow! One trillion!!

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by yeshi(f): 8:31am On Oct 23, 2014
Hope this does not take eternity. Our last subscriptin was jus a waste. There was no electricity to watch anything yet it expired.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by michaelweezy: 8:31am On Oct 23, 2014
shachris03:
Its simple. This is democracy and free market. If they want to beat DSTV, the should provide us with a cable service better than DSTV and gbam! DSTV would be out of the market before you say jack.

This is just a ploy to bring in one chinese mediocre company that would end up ripping Nigerians off, like they are doing with startimes.

#Gbam.. All these mediocre cable companies all in the name of affordability. The move by the house of Reps is a good one but Nigerian still have the choice to go with the Coy that gives them the highest satisfaction based on quality.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Exjoker(m): 8:34am On Oct 23, 2014
firstolalekan:
Nice development.
*modified *
Let's wait and see how long it will take before any bill is passed and implemented. When it comes to making laws that will benefit the common man, we know how our reps and senators behave.
But, it didn't take them anytime to approve the borrowing of ONE BILLION DOLLARS proposed by the clown to FIGHT the bokohaRAMS that they're currently negotiating PEACE with.
Don't be so clueless bro. Our national security should the forefront of our government
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by adeko2: 8:37am On Oct 23, 2014
A good move by the house. shocked
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by firstolalekan(m): 8:37am On Oct 23, 2014
Exjoker:
Don't be so clueless bro. Our national security should the forefront of our government
It is you who is clueless.
Gullible fellows.
Who is FG? who is Bokoharam?
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Temidayo9(m): 8:37am On Oct 23, 2014
Jobless Rep we have in Nigeria, they all reason with anus. They can't debate about billing from phcn without light. Anyone of the pay tv in Nigeria that have good content like dstv , let them out and contest na. Who no like cheap tinz? .imagine you pay for dstv and there is no light to whatch what you pay for, and month end they will bring crazy bill, yet stupid rep didn't see that as wickedness. #Cluelessleader #cluelessfollower.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by akinsadeez(m): 8:40am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:
The House of Reps Members are clueless I swear..

DSTV does not have any monopoly, they are simply the best in the Market and thats why all their competitors cant keep up. #Period.

The moment the reps fhuck with Multichoice, they would either water down their programming to match whatever rates the government imposes of them or pack up and leave..

The competition that came in the form of HITV saw how difficult the satellite game was and folded up.

Cable TV is not cheap anywhere in the world. DSTV prices are almost similar across Africa.. WHy is it Nigerians that keep complaining as if DSTV is part of their fundamental human right as a Nigerian. Why has the House of Reps not audited NTA to find out why the biggest Government owned Television station in Africa is so useless.

The demise of HITV wasn't as a result of how difficult the sattelite game is; it was simply a result of the owner's crass mismanagement. HITV was marketed to subscribers mainly based on their English premiership rights. However due to the rush of customers, they became complacent. They did not improve their picture quality, neither did they make any concrete attempt to draw in the other subscribers who arent interested in football.

When HITV was reigning, DSTV wisely restructured and reorganized their programs. They focused on the women and the kids by introducing more local film channels and also cartoon channels. It created a situation where most people subscribed to HITV for football while subscribing to DSTV at the same time ''because of madam and junior''. This way, DSTV did not lose a lot of customers. When HITV lost their football rights after two years, there was nothing left for them to fall back on and they packed up.
For me, the interesting thing about it then was that when HITV came up, DSTV was forced into a conscious review of their bouquets, the type of which that they hadn't done for years. That is the essence of competition. MTN was selling a Sim Pack for 35000 naira and offering seven days validity on recharge cards before Glo came on board and now sim cards are being sold for 100 naira.
I think the best solution is to have a federal Govt funded Cable Company on the level of DSTV, like NNPC mega stations in the petroleum industry.

6 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Temidayo9(m): 8:42am On Oct 23, 2014
yeshi:
Hope this does not take eternity. Our last subscriptin was jus a waste. There was no electricity to watch anything yet it expired.

Jobless REP we have. They should sit on issue of light rather than holy dstv. And any pay tv that can contest with DSTV let them aired there product, we will buy.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by coolebux(m): 8:42am On Oct 23, 2014
It seems God wants to turn one of our mistakes into miracle
Hitv would have thrived cry

DStv has programmes that are interesting unlike others that'll give you boring channels with some strange languages

But dstv will make their services so outrageous that you'll blame yourself for ever patronizing them

Just hope our Reps will live up to their hype on this issue
If not multichoice will go more stiffer on Nigerians

I've included this in my prayer points

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by iaatmguy(m): 8:51am On Oct 23, 2014
Tbillz:
We are the enemy of our own self, if dangote can hold and monopolize local industries, why won't foreign companies like MTN, Julius berger who are not even the best in their respective countries hold Us to ransom here in nigeria. Will someone who import generator, ever wish Nigeria power sector well? Lastly MR. DEPUTY HOUSE LEADER am sure you owned houses in every state in nigeria which are well equipped with DSTVs and unfortunately you just calculated your loss per month that is why you raising alarm. When the masses problem become una major concern? #2015 in progress
Am very sure its due to south Africas recent stopping of arms deal by nigeria, and also embarrassing nigeria, so the idiots want to have their pound of flesh. Have they been blind to these?, y are they just waking up, its because they also have been sharing from the spoils, PERIOD

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by stanisbaratheon: 8:51am On Oct 23, 2014
QMark:
This is only good news if they have a better alternative.

Like HiTV abi? They were more more arrogant brand during their short EPL reigns. And picture quality was not to far from that of LTV 8

True.

I pay N13,450 per month. That's paying about One Million Naira (N1,000,000) to watch TV for only 6 years. That's the price of 1 plot of land in some outskirt of Lagos. Chai. I cant wait or the success of this move.

To be on the conservative side, let's say they have 1,000,000 premium subscribers. If my math has not failed me, that's N1,000,000,000,000 (someone should help me write this in words) for 6 years.

one thousand billion grin

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by obeski13(m): 8:54am On Oct 23, 2014
graciousme:
I wonder why they have succeeded in maintaining the monopoly for years. We need competition in the satellite TV market. If not we can't keep blaming DSTV.
they are helped to maintain d monolopy in d market by very corrupt NBC officials and and politicians.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by agbosteve1: 8:56am On Oct 23, 2014
This is a good one though. For me DSTV has been so empowered that there are no other company in this same industry can march up to. The government should encourage indigenous companies to grow. Where is HITV today? StarTime that is even outsourced to the Chinese is still struggling not mention late FSTV and many more.
These guys, DSTv pay more to ensure that the best reach the best, they practically run on generator 27/7/365, they pay staff, tax, omo onile's are others too. For me I am not an advocate of outrageous bills. Maybe, they should change there billing, rather than caging us to their bundles and packages. For me I have stations I always love see, often they can let subscriber pay per station viewed rather than paying close to $100 for station you never had time for.
The House Reps should also consider other problem they need resolve before telling them to crash their prices. They should ensure that economy is suitable for them to do business, constant power, less rent and less outrageous bill from power holding will go a long way. With this I believe their decision will be justified.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by iaatmguy(m): 8:57am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:
Nigerians are their own worst Enemy

Good Move people say.. I laugh.

Has anybody bothered to ask why DSTV is the King of African Satellite Television?! The answer is simple;

1.Innovation.. Lets look back to when the cable satellite game started in ernest in Nigeria. It was DSTV with that Giant Dish that takes almost 3 days to install and Multi-cipher (or something like that). Multicipher didnt blow up because they didnt have as much programmes and content as DSTV. In the period between when the cable game started and now, DSTV has gone from through about 3 sizes of Dish each better than the next. DSTV has gone through many evolutions in the cable box, from the standard single view box, to the dual view to the HD PVR box to the Explora box presently and you and I know that it wouldnt take more than 4 years for the next best thing from DSTV to drop.

They simply dont stop thinking up ways to improve on their product and brand name.

2. Programme Content. Whereas all other Cable companies just steal free-to-air stations like Star Movies, Star World, Trace, CNN, Al-Jezerra, Cartoon Network and co from Arab and Indian satellites, DSTV actually owns the right to their content. Meaning, they invested in actually developing programme content. SO they get the rights to air the stations from the original owners and then modify it for their purpose before putting it out. Thats why even the MTV base from DSTV varies with that from the Arabs.

HITV came in and thought the bane of DSTV's monopoly was their Football broadcast rights.. grin So they plotted a hostile takeover by paying way too darn much for the broadcast license, limiting DSTV to just 1 or 2 matches. What they forgot was that DSTV was more than soccer. Soccer was only 3 hours max on certain days out of their entire programme schedule. So what do they have to offer on days when the EPL is off? NOTHING.. What about kids programming?! NOTHING... What of the mums that love African Movies and stuff? Nothing.. Thats what killed HITV... They looked only at football.. grin Poor business strategy..

3. Customer Service. When you call their helpline, they answer. They even automated their system with the SMS auto help system. Making it easy to access help even in the middle of the night.

4. Marketing.. DSTV is the King of Programme marketing. At every point in the Calender year, DSTV has atleast 2 key programmes running. Now we have the EPL, Champions League, Carling Cup, X-factor, Idols, Big Brother, Project Fame, **** got talent, e.t.c.. Their is never a time when something isnt on T.V to watch.

5. Quality.. If not for DSTV, Nigerians would not even be able to watch matches being played in Nigeria on T.V. AIT, NTA, SILVERBIRD, e.t.c all dont have the capacity to broadcast local events live and in good picture. Its so shameful. Until DSTV came into the game, Nigerians did not even know what a Nigerian Local League Game looked like nor the atmosphere of it. DSTV brings you the CAF Nations cup, womens football, Nigerian League, Zambian league, Southafrican league, etc live and in High definition.

Infact, the stations with the worst picture quality on DSTV are all the Nigerian Stations
Just like you said let their be competition, enough of multichoice broadcasting tyranny

Let poverty mentality not eat away our ability to reason well. DSTV is the king because they are just too darn good. If you want quality,, then you have got to pay for it cos it means someone is working hard to bring you the best.

These South Africans know how to do business in Africa. They understand the business clime and strive to be the best. Look at MTN for example. Whislt Econet and Nitel were busy coasting, they were investing billions to take over the market fastest. Today, though they have kind of peaked and their network over packed, they are still number one amongst all only followed by the Arabs (Etisalat).

I love my DSTV cos their is no alternative.. I support the free market system. The day a better company comes, DSTV will no longer be the king.

And just so you know, the price of DSTV subscirption is almost uniform across africa (factoring in exchange rates and clime). Also, premium cable costs money. Those in the UK and the U.S should tell us how much their 'FULL' subscription package on their SKY digiboxes, Bell Tv, Rogers TV, AT&T and co costs..

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 23, 2014
akinsadeez post=:
on the level of DSTV, like NNPC mega stations in the petroleum industry.

Actually the nnpc station are just franchises today. Just saying
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by emmanuel4758(m): 9:02am On Oct 23, 2014
iyobs7:
It is not difficult, let them start it now, shabi NTA now has their own cable kini, startimes?
We a nigerians think it is easy to maintain the cost of providing services like cable tv that runs for 24hours non stop without any form of constant power or electricity... dstv should leave now, thousands of nigerians will loose their jobs, viewing centre owners will loose money, oh is it startimes that will now show premiership and champions league or maybe big brother africa that I know some nigerians sleep and wake up with?!

Instead of those clueless, selfish men at house of reps to find a way to solve electricity problem, they are busy deceiving the gullible ones... These men even if they have 20 houses, each of them will even have more than one dstv sef...

Nigerians deceiving themselves, what are they representing? They are not even educated sef, how will they know the meaning of feasibility study... You think they are here to provide service for free abi?! It is business and profit is their aim, they wont power their own equipment themselves and still give out services to the detriment of their aim, which is to make profit...

Politicians deceiving gullible ones...

And the gullible ones shouting yes yes nice move nice move and they look down and laugh mumu people...
I no sure say you get sense sha or maybe na robot type that .suen should use this to know there is robot in Nairaland .
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by AjanleKoko: 9:02am On Oct 23, 2014
I wasn't aware DSTV had a monopoly. What happened to the myriads of terrestrial TV stations?
Whose fault it is that DSTV has cornered all the juicy content, or invested billions in their technology and media strategy?
Did a company called HiTV not go under couple of years back, after overpaying for EPL, Champions League, and La Liga TV rights from Sky?
Abegi. Jobless reps.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Bbnaija: 2face Idibia Supports Kiddwaya / The Gardener's Daughter: TV Soap Opera / What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.