Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG (6866 Views)

Power Distribution Firms Reject Supply From Generating Plants / 5 Buhari's Ministers Who Perform Below Expectations / Nnaji’s Power Generating Firm Begins Operation In Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by jarkbauer: 5:48am On Oct 23, 2014
Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu NeboEleven months after being run by private operators, some power generating plants in the country are performing below 30 per cent of their installed capacities, the Federal Government has said.The poor performance, it said, was largely due to gas constraints, which had posed a major challenge that was hampering the visible impact of the reform efforts in the power sector.A document made available to our correspondent by the Nigerian Society of Engineers in Abuja, which contains a presentation by the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, revealed that many power plants built to generate electricity were only able to utilise a fraction of their installed capacities due to shortfalls in the supply of gas.Nebo said, “Of the original six power plants that were privatised, not one is functioning at up to 70 per cent of installed capacity. Some are functioning at less than 30 per cent capacity due to gas shortage. To make matters worse, many of the gas infrastructure that supply these power plants have come under attack by vandals with various agendas.“Oil thieves are breaking up gas pipelines in the hopes of finding oil to steal. Political enemies are hoping to reduce power supply in one area or the other in an effort to sabotage opponents. Even when the gas infrastructure is free of sabotage, obtaining the gas needed is a problem because of the historically low price for gas in the domestic market.“This low price made investments in the supply of gas to the domestic gas market unattractive for gas producers. Consequently, for years, development in supply of gas to the domestic market in general and power in particular, has stagnated.”The PUNCH had on Tuesday reported that the current epileptic supply of electricity being experienced across many parts of the country was as a result of the massive drop in generated power by 1,000 megawatts in the last one week, a development that was attributed to shortfalls in gas supply.The minister, however, noted that the government was working to redress this.He said the Federal Government had entered into agreements with some international oil companies and local producers to make sure that they ramped up gas supply.According to him, the government is working to ensure that even the marginal gas fields are exploited in order to have the quantum of gas necessary to drive the power reform.Nebo said, “Under my leadership and in partnership with the minister of petroleum resources and the NERC, we have been able to recently bring the price of domestic gas to $2.50 per million btu. We also have an additional provision for a maximum of $0.80/mmbtu for transport.“We expect these changes to incentivise the negotiation and execution of more gas supply and purchase agreements between gas suppliers and power producers, resulting in noticeable improvements in the medium term.”
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by jarkbauer: 5:49am On Oct 23, 2014

10 Likes

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by seanet02: 5:51am On Oct 23, 2014
PDP

6 Likes

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by pelvicky(m): 5:56am On Oct 23, 2014
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by preach93: 6:00am On Oct 23, 2014
no be the first time we dey hear this be dis jor, we want to hear and see the possible solutions to this www..com
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by Nobody: 6:00am On Oct 23, 2014
Even if 200,000MW is plugged in,we still wouldn't have a change in it....There isn't any hope when it comes to power generation,as far as the cabalz are concerned.

1 Like

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by Sycluxxx: 6:01am On Oct 23, 2014
State of cluelessism

5 Likes

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by QMark: 6:01am On Oct 23, 2014
jarkbauer =27373445:

Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, revealed that many power plants built to generate electricity were only able to utilise a fraction of their installed capacities due to shortfalls in the supply of gas. ”

Shortfalls in gas supply? When we still continue to kill our Niger Delta brothers with consistent gas flaring.

9 Likes

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by Beehshorp(m): 6:01am On Oct 23, 2014
Are u saying this thing so we would clap for u.. Make them make am perform reach 100%
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by kenbee(f): 6:02am On Oct 23, 2014
so visible on my neighbourhood
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by godsveryown(f): 6:02am On Oct 23, 2014
Owk o so wetin make we do?
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by bunmioguns(m): 6:02am On Oct 23, 2014
Story

Story

Stoooooooorrry

2 Likes

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by LEERICIST(m): 6:02am On Oct 23, 2014
In 2mama's voice.. "it's none of my business " cheesy
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by tyconcepts(f): 6:02am On Oct 23, 2014
Preach on preacher

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by Ojestas(m): 6:02am On Oct 23, 2014
What's this one saying? undecided
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by J0nyb0y(m): 6:03am On Oct 23, 2014
Well lets hope something is done...
Lets see what he is capable of doing... I heard he's one of the best coach Nigeria had
CLICK TO READ NATURAL WAYS TO GET RID OF BAD BREATH (MOUTH ODOUR)
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by emmyx2010: 6:03am On Oct 23, 2014
Front page ooooooooooo[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by chiboy11(m): 6:04am On Oct 23, 2014
Ok let's al ve hope in 3014 we wil ve constant light In dis part of d world if we re stil alive til den. Amen
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by iterator25: 6:05am On Oct 23, 2014
just get a frigging nuclear piwer plant and stop undermining the economy with your stuppid policies
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by fighalo(m): 6:05am On Oct 23, 2014
I just laf
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by freshness2020: 6:06am On Oct 23, 2014
No rain, No light for naija..
Till next rainy season!

14 Likes

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by Kingsimmer(m): 6:06am On Oct 23, 2014
mumu FG STORY 4 D DUMBASS
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by pekeyim: 6:08am On Oct 23, 2014
Everything is performing below capacity.

Power plants

Refineries

Ports

Universities

NYSC - has refused to give me my call up letter after paying 4000 naira. (Below) capacity too.

Chai

9 Likes

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by gbodimowo(m): 6:08am On Oct 23, 2014
Lies and more lies
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by bishophenry(m): 6:11am On Oct 23, 2014
So let them get new generating plant than telling us.
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by Innodon(m): 6:11am On Oct 23, 2014
How it take concern us....
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by omenka(m): 6:17am On Oct 23, 2014
I don't even want to read it. Whatever it is, I know it must be another excuse for failure. Please could someone who read it tell me whether saboteurs/opposition mentioned this time??

3 Likes

Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by Grantos: 6:17am On Oct 23, 2014
Omo this talk make sense.... Visit www.wisdomdiri..com for correct gist and information
Re: Power Generating Plants Perform Below 30% Capacity – FG by 100Cents: 6:17am On Oct 23, 2014
Let them come and hire my generator.

Its cheap.. I tell ya...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers Assembly retains Ibani as Speaker / DSS Did Not Invite Bishop Kukah - Sokoto Catholic Diocese / My Father,tony Elumelu Gave My Mother Abortion Pill To Kill Me-susan Pwajok (VID

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.