Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,584 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! (1106 Views)

Help:..please Does Anybody Know How I Can Make A Gps Driven App / Need Programmers Help Please / Database Normalization (help Please) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! by lordbenax(m): 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2008
Yo! Nairalanders. I just got a windows server and i dont know how to upload my website to it. I am very used to LINUX servers, and i know that on LINUX SERVERs you put the files in the public_html folder. But on my new windows server there is no public_html folder. I only see three folders: db, wwwroot and logs. Please where do i put my website files. the website was designed in asp.net
Re: Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! by lordbenax(m): 3:03pm On Nov 15, 2008
I just uploaded some files and i am getting this error! I have also done what it asks me to do!

Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

I need help please!
Re: Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2008
YOu are best going to www.Asp.NET forum to post your questions if you really need them answered. That error message there indicates there is some unhandled exception in your application.

Find a Topic on deploying ASP.NET Applications in IIS. MSDN has a good walkthrough to help you with the steps you need to take .
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zwk103ab.aspx

Follow the instruction given you in that display to see the actual exception stack displayed so you can better troubleshoot.
Re: Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! by saou2007(m): 7:25pm On Nov 15, 2008
try uploading to wwwroot. i guess you got that stuff from tridomain and his like. windows web hosting is out dated and the worst thing a beginner should avoid even the pros.i lost my N15,000 to that thing called window hosting. Better forget it and go for linus. If you need consideration because of cash wasted. then contact me for consideration.
you can meet me at http://milewealthforum.com
Re: Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! by dammytosh: 12:43pm On Dec 03, 2008
if you are developing your application in asp.net, then you have no other choice than to go for windows hosting.
What you need to do is simple.
1. What version of the dotnet framework are u using ? 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 or 3.5
2. Confirm from your host if they support the version you used.
3.if they do , tell them to update ur website to the version you are using (this is necessary if ur host supports 1.0, 1, 1 nd 2.0)
4. Host ur application locally and be sure it works on ur local IIS.
5. Correct any error if there is any in the course of hosting ur application locally.

look for configuration section in ur web.config file and make sure it is like this
<configuration>
    <system.web>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

this will allow u to c the exact error message.

6. Upload ur file to www root.

Feel free to post ur result on this section.
I hope that helps.

@saou2007 := that post is very discouraging nd disappointing. I av uploaded to asp.net 1.0,1.1,2.0 nd 3.5 and it is always on a windows server.

"The difficulties u encounter in going for a change should not stop u from changing if u are not a coward " dammytosh
Re: Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! by saou2007(m): 6:37pm On Dec 03, 2008
dammytosh:

if you are developing your application in asp.net, then you have no other choice than to go for windows hosting.
What you need to do is simple.
1. What version of the dotnet framework are u using ? 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 or 3.5
2. Confirm from your host if they support the version you used.
3.if they do , tell them to update ur website to the version you are using (this is necessary if ur host supports 1.0, 1, 1 nd 2.0)
4. Host ur application locally and be sure it works on ur local IIS.
5. Correct any error if there is any in the course of hosting ur application locally.

look for configuration section in ur web.config file and make sure it is like this
<configuration>
<system.web>
</system.web>
</configuration>

this will allow u to c the exact error message.

6. Upload ur file to www root.

Feel free to post ur result on this section.
I hope that helps.

@saou2007 := that post is very discouraging nd disappointing. I av uploaded to asp.net 1.0,1.1,2.0 nd 3.5 and it is always on a windows server.

"The difficulties u encounter in going for a change should not stop u from changing if u are not a coward " dammytosh

Thanx for calling me a coward. Only a coward knows a coward when he see one.
Thanx for the post cause you have made 2M richer, let me rush back to my pardon work and put right my error from your correction. When i come across you in the future, i will buy you a beer for that. Next time, dammytosh watch tongue.
Re: Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! by dammytosh: 10:40am On Dec 04, 2008
saou2007:

Thanx for calling me a coward. Only a coward knows a coward when he see one.

@saou2007 I never called u a coward. That quote was just a line of thought.

saou2007:
Thanx for the post cause you have made 2M richer, let me rush back to my pardon work and put right my error from your correction

You are welcome, please free free to contact me on any problem that has to do with asp.net and windows hosting. I blif in rubbing minds 2geda.

saou2007:
When i come across you in the future, i will buy you a beer for that. Next time, dammytosh watch tongue.

Thanks for the beer and d advice.

Sorry if my post ever hurt u. I care.

(1) (Reply)

Can You Imagine The Insult? / The Best/relevant It Course In Nigeria / Need Help On Freetts Library(java)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.