Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (56934 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 28, 2014
ONYEBALL:
Baba God abeg make i no jam person with my vehicle in Jesus name.Amen
AMIN OOO.

3 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 28, 2014
"If* You Hit Someone"

Maybe that's your destiny, but it's not mine. tongue

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by LORDI(m): 2:40pm On Oct 28, 2014
I pray it doesn't happen,

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by greggng: 2:42pm On Oct 28, 2014
God forbid it happens but if it happens, I will go and die
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by megalife: 2:51pm On Oct 28, 2014
It's never a good experience, my prayer is Divine protection on all.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by AriDsexy(f): 2:54pm On Oct 28, 2014
Boss13:
Interesting topic. My response might seem harsh but since we are prescribing naija solutions to naija answer. I would say RUN AWAY and don't look back. If you enter into the police station, you might be charged for manslaughter if you cannot bribe your way out. I had an experience like 4 years ago, I was on Oshodi-Apapa expressway going to the airport and an Okada man and his passenger were on that road (an express road oh) and for christ sake you know how these Okada guys (especially the hausa ones) can be. There was a truck right in front of me and I think the truck suddenly applied brake, I swerved to the right close to the okada rider and controlled myself but because okada do not have enough balance, the okada man also swerved to the right to dodge me, however he lost control and both him and his passenger flew off the bike.

I could not wait and stop. It was an express road but I observed them on my rear-view mirror. Then I saw a commercial bus by my side and the people inside were insulting me. We got to cele busstop (for those who know the place) and there was traffic, this commercial bus blocked me and passengers came out and was shouting that I killed somebody. The look in their eyes showed nothing but my grave and I was confused. Some started hitting my car and trying to open the door. Luckily for me, the traffic moved a little and I zoomed off.

You may say I acted harshly, but I thought the government had banned okada from the express way. Again, I think they may be pretty hurt but they were not dead because I observed them duly. Now guess what those guys would have done to me - Burnt my car, beat me up silly, rob me off my possession and abandon me in pains for an accident I did not create.

So in naija, I will not advise you to wait. If you have the chance zoom off and don't stop. Go park somewhere else and come back on foot to assist.

Just a quick question please....what if after u hit d okada,u checked from ur rear- view mirror,u saw they were both lying down dead on the floor,will ur advice still be to RUN??
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by stuhporh: 2:58pm On Oct 28, 2014
2legit2qwt:

WOW! Dude! I'm speechless.. You encourage him to leave the victim/s even if there was the possibility of him saving someone. Then you talk about bribing your way out of the situation and then "move on with life" undecided That's why the country is fuked up
I think its only sensible and lawful to drive to the nearest police station not police post. There isn't any law in Nigeria that says you should stop and attend, drive to the nearest police station. Trust if people saw it when it happened, that victim could be saved while yours could be taken, but if there are not many people around, you might stop and help out. before reporting yourself to the corps

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by TonYzeallY(m): 3:01pm On Oct 28, 2014
Incident like that can rarely happen to a driver that knows well that when driving on a busy road he/she slows down and put all d 5 sences to work...a driver can only be killed if d crowd notice initial high speed or impatience,i ve seen where pple around applaud a driver for much effort to control his car when he suddenly killed one and averted 3...well,if u fall into such situation..find ur way immediatly to a resistive millitary zone.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by peedeeasobie(m): 3:03pm On Oct 28, 2014
colossus2:
Listen to your conscience or whatever your mind tells you to do ATM

pls , this is not an answer.
A man ran to the police Station because that's what his mind told him to do and he was brought out and killed.

How does that help?
Just say you have no answer.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
its a tough one tho , majority of people who make up the " mob" atimes are full of envy and jealousy , with statements some make you will know they just lynching the person because of frustration from their current status not because they actually reviewed the situation.The society itself sees the driver most times as the faulty folk, because most cautionary road statements and safety notes are to the drivers e.g dont drink and drive, dont text while driving ... we do not hear dont drink and walk on the road or dont text and walk .which is very common with pedestrians. I think in a situation where you are not wrong and there is no one that is aware of your innocence except you and maybe your passengers, the best thing is to zoom off , dont even go report to a police .... cause they will want to make money from you . if you are at fault , your conscience should atleast make you turn yourself in rather than guilt huntng you the remaining days of your life. one has just got to be careful and vigilant on naija roads . I have been rides with family and friends sometime and I was behind drivers who needed to make u -turns , the next statements I hear from my passengers mosttimes was to swerve and move on . most times I refuse and tell them it will not take a minute or two and what if while trying to swerve I hit a man who is careless and not aware I am about to. the number of impatient and careless individuals on Nigerian roads are rather too much . I mean drivers , pedestrians and hawkers everyone likes to form am a lagos driver ,I drove my dad sometime and he was like I cant drive in lagos ooo simply because I allowed a keke take a chance . I told him there is no award given to lagos drivers. am not saying it will never happen but at least if we can get things right we will be able to prevent this kind of problems.

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 28, 2014
AriDsexy:

Just a quick question please....what if after u hit d okada,u checked from ur rear- view mirror,u saw they were both lying down dead on the floor,will ur advice still be to RUN??
if you were not at fault , yes run.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by webizone(m): 3:16pm On Oct 28, 2014
All of you saying "Drive to the nearest FORTIFIED police station", you made three mistakes:

1. This is naija with poor infrastructure, the police station may not exist for miles.

2. This is naija with poor facilities, the police you find may not be "FORTIFIED"

3. You forgot the incessant traffic jams or "go-slow".

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by lockupman(m): 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2014
Oga, this same man reported himself to the Police but was dragged out from Police net and mobbed.

ramdris:
If u r Sure d person died, don't stop bt rather drive to d nearest police station and report yourself cos stopping might get u mobbed. Bt if u feel d person is still alive,stop and take to d nearest hospital and Later report to the nearest police station as well.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Octaves(m): 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2014
2legit2qwt:

WOW! Dude! I'm speechless.. You encourage him to leave the victim/s even if there was the possibility of him saving someone. Then you talk about bribing your way out of the situation and then "move on with life" undecided That's why the country is fuked up
This dude sef. Where are you from. The guy is telling you what works in Naija. Do you think this is america or europe. If you kill sb by accident and there is a crowd there. They will lynch you, though it depends on where you are. They did it a few days ago to a lecturer in Taraba. He even went to the police station. The mob came there, dragged him out and immolated him. So you have to understand the kind of country you are in first b4 u can decide on what's best to do.

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 28, 2014
uboma:

What if you dont make it to the nearest Police Station with your bare legs before getting lynched? Will you still be alive to do all the above? This is not a Literature class where dramatic scenes are allowed. In reality you will discover that driving to Police Station in your car after the accident is more like it.

What if there is mad traffic ahead of you? Using Lagos as a case study. Will you still advise he drives?
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 28, 2014
Phema:

What if there is mad traffic ahead of you? Using Lagos as a case study. Will you still advise he drives?
most times , these stuffs happen on express roads ... usually 5 km to 20 km before you can meet traffic.I dont think any angry mob can run that dstance and still meet up wth you while driving . if you hit someone where you can meet traffic just 2km ahead of you then you were on the wrong speed.

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by astronautog(m): 3:40pm On Oct 28, 2014
Y kill someone if u can't risk being killed??

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by moscobabs(m): 3:50pm On Oct 28, 2014
ogawisdom:

My bros we r discussin wat works in nigeria nt elsewhere hw can u explain d fact dt a man can b brought out frm a police station and killed by angry mobs. Dt can only happen in naija hence we seek nigerian solution to nigerian problems tongue
U have said all
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by AriDsexy(f): 3:51pm On Oct 28, 2014
majekdom2:
if you were not at fault , yes run.
Sure,I understand that sir, but d guy I quoted said he mistakenly hit d bike man cos of a truck or something,it wasn't like it was d bike man's fault also Mr majekodom2.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by sonnie10: 3:53pm On Oct 28, 2014
uboma:

Please provide references to the law that states so. Your idea of running bare footed to the nearest Police Station is just hilarous. How far can your legs carry you to the nearest Police Station when everyone in the community will be after you? Do you think they will allow you get that far? You seem to dwell so much on dream island...

A smart lawyer might argue that burning the vehicle was an intentional destruction of evidence by the witness to the plaintiff.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by christopher123(m): 4:18pm On Oct 28, 2014
ogawisdom:
This thread is motivated by the thread where a lecturer who ran to the police station after killing 5 pupil while trying to dodge a trailer was brought out from the police station and killed by angry mobs angry undecided. What did this man do wrong for God's sake it's an accident.

Now in this thread I want us to discuss d correct thing to b done if one finds himself in this situation as a Nigerian driver to avoid being killed like the lecturer above while showing some care for d one u hit ie assuming he/she is still alive n needs medical attention.

Ultimately drop one or two hints on how to avoid finding one's self in this situation.

Let's see what works in naija, though our diaspora bro and sis are welcomed.

My observation is that the driver is always wrong even if the person is practically lying down on the road. The driver is always accused of over speeding by everyone around even though the person hit was careless.

To avoid this situation as a driver I pay special attention to all road users while driving especially pedestrians; the most vulnerable are children, mad people, drunk people, agboro people, frustrated people looking for who to kill them, rioters, church crusade groups, other groups on the road to advertise something, and elderly ppl (their sense of judgement on the road is very poor and sometimes they are unaware they are on the road.

the last terrible accident i had along lekki was when some kids wanted to cross road, a car in front of me stopped and i stop a lorry lost brakes and ram into me, now who is to be blamed... pedestrians.

In a road that is an espressway as lekki, what the hell are you doing stopping for pedestrain

the best thing, if you hit a pedestrian in a lonely road, stop, carry him to hospital, but if you hit him in a tout infested areas like lagos or ibadan, please run for your dear life to nearby police station or army barracks. those touts are fraustrated and they will lynch you and vent their frustration on you

a stitch in time, saves nine

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by hardbody: 4:18pm On Oct 28, 2014
ogawisdom:

My bros we r discussin wat works in nigeria nt elsewhere hw can u explain d fact dt a man can b brought out frm a police station and killed by angry mobs. Dt can only happen in naija hence we seek nigerian solution to nigerian problems tongue

Bros God bless your thinking. I had a real life experience not quite long ago. As a personal principle, i stay back in the island everyday to wait for traffic to subside before i hit the road either driving alone on fridays or driven by my driver on weekdays. This day i was coming off osborne to hit 3mb and it was past 10pm. The guy ahead of me screeched abruptly and while i was swerving to overtake him, i noticed he had hit a guy and the guy was raised off the floor, tumbled over across his car and fell on my side as i was trying to overtake, instinctively i manouvered the best i could but the the guys legs came under my tyres. Sad to say in that brief second there was no option other than to either crush the guy, who i knew would not survive the fall, hit the kerb and maybe somersault or hit a part of him. In a twinle of an eye, i had run through an extended leg and i moved on. Looking back, i saw the driver ahead of me had parked and those robbers came out and smashed his glasses and were stabbing him all over. I knew instinctively that they were planning to rob him but he had not stopped instead he hit one of them and in anger they were stabbing him all over. I did not need a reason or encouragement to rev up and move on. Did i have to wait, no. I wont be here typing. Should i have stopped at alapere to report, by now i might still be in detention explaining. I rationalized what they were doing on the express at that time of the day. The prinviple is love ur neighbour as urself not more than yourself. Enough said.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by christopher123(m): 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2014
LORDI:
I pray it doesn't happen,

BUT IT HAPPENS THAT IS WHY ITS ACCIDENT
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by PTAwal: 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2014
lonelydora:
If I hit somebody (God forbid), I will leave my car and run to the nearest FORTIFIED police station to report myself, praying for angry mob to set the car ablaze, which will make the law switch a little to my favour (that is, lesser punishment for me).

With what happened above. First, all the policemen in that station is supposed to be jailed for not carrying out their duty well.

Secondly, some arrests should have been made to caution others that thinks it is the right thing to do. They were not suppose to kill the man.

Thirdly, the parents of the children will now bear the cost of the burial and may even have a case to answer for jungle justice.
Ofcorse you will run and leave your car for them burn to ashes. If you are driving Ferrari, Range Sport,porsch or X6, even Venza. Believe me you won't leave the car for them.

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 28, 2014
ogawisdom:

10000000 likes!!!!!
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by gulfer: 5:00pm On Oct 28, 2014
Let Frank Mba or his replacement enligthen us on this o.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by skyface00(m): 5:04pm On Oct 28, 2014
keep moving or wait 2 be burnt alive by my area boyz.....we use nigeria method 2 solve nigeria problem...but in a beta society u can wait and take the person 2 hospital and settle with the family or charged 2 court .......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by christopher123(m): 5:15pm On Oct 28, 2014
was around benin by pass- those benin crooks and criminals are always hiding by that bend asking for fictitious papers, one of my guy had been duped by those guys, what did he do, on a good day he was going back to east, one of the benin by pass guys came out of their hiding place to throw nails again, he reved the car, hit him, he disobeyed the gravitational pull and was like 10 ft above sea levl, hit the ground, the dude moved on.

My dear, in Nigeria if you are a good drivers some will be on their way to rob you especially the ore - benin way...pls hit them move on another bad spot is lokoja - abaji road...these are the terrible place, next is benin by pass.

as a matter of priority maintain 160 - 180 km/h on these roads....

THEM NO BORN THEM WELL, ENSURE YOUR CAR IS TOP NOTCH, MAYBE MANUAL CAR IS BETTER, SO THAT YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR GEARS SWIFTLY IN LESS THAN 40 SECONDS

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by NnaNna4(m): 5:28pm On Oct 28, 2014
u know there was a time I nearly made this suicide attempt mistake.

I was overtaking a big vehicle, unknown to the pedestrian crossing that I was overtaking. that is how I knocked this man down.

so I stopped to assist, just then I had a voice from a moving car saying something like IF I HAVE SIGNED MY DEATH WARRANT

I quickly realised that am in Hausa area in Kaduna(meanwhile am a Christian). woe betide me if being a xtian I knocked Hausa man or a Muslim, Ur corpse wouldnt be found.

I quickly jump in to my car and fled. And they pursued me. thank God I knew the town to some extent, I didn't follow major road with traffick wait and move.

I lost them because it was already dark. I put off all my light and negotiated a corner and parked somewhere.

It would have been my Obituary because I wanted to help.

my advise is use Ur head because God or Ur instinct will give u a lead. please follow that and don't waste because if u r caught trying to escape, no force will be able to rescue u
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 28, 2014
lonelydora:
If I hit somebody (God forbid), I will leave my car and run to the nearest FORTIFIED police station to report myself, praying for angry mob to set the car ablaze, which will make the law switch a little to my favour (that is, lesser punishment for me).

With what happened above. First, all the policemen in that station is supposed to be jailed for not carrying out their duty well.

Secondly, some arrests should have been made to caution others that thinks it is the right thing to do. They were not suppose to kill the man.

Thirdly, the parents of the children will now bear the cost of the burial and may even have a case to answer for jungle justice.
you had the op right? This is 9ja do you think all what you maintion can happen in my ogbodo 9ja?
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Beckytee(f): 5:35pm On Oct 28, 2014
One happened here last month. A policeman hitted a bike man and he stopped to help him. come and see how d bike man's colleagues beat d policeman and destroy his car forgeting he his a policeman.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Checkout The Features Of The Mercedes-benz 2017 E-class / Man Crushed To Death This Afternoon In Benin City (viewers Discretion Advised) / You'll Never Forget To Use Your Seatbelt Even In The Back Seat After Seeing This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.