Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:55 AM

When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (57803 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / Brake Failure While Driving: What Should Drivers Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by benELOHIM7(m): 1:02pm On Oct 28, 2014
if u hit somebody? ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun....pause for a breathe then ...ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Evergreat2014(m): 1:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
Ishilove:

Lmao! cheesy

My elder sister has changed her horn countless times. One particular time during traffic, she was in the process of honking it when it died, yet again. My sis said her voice turned to a horn that day. Whenever one of this crazy Lagos danfos came too close to her, she would immediately shriek at the top her voice "watch, watch!!" If the vehicles preceding were too slow in moving, or pedestrians were hesitant in crossing in front her vehicle, she would stick out her head out of the window and bawl "mooove!!". Very traumatic experience, according to her. grin

Even Dad has changed horns a couple times. He uses 'eba power' to honk that thing, because, according to him, "some people's case have already been concluded in the spirit realm. They are just looking for who will finish it up in the physical" and he refuses to be the scapegoat for such people. cheesy
The boldened got my ribs cracking....hahahaha!

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by eightsin(m): 1:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
Run as fast as your legs can carry you to a police station or an army barracks b4 mobs lynch n roast u with your own tyre and fuel
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 28, 2014
ogawisdom:

...To avoid this situation as a driver I pay special attention to all road users while driving especially pedestrians; the most vulnerable are children, mad people, drunk people, agboro people, frustrated people looking for who to kill them, rioters, church crusade groups, other groups on the road to advertise something, and elderly ppl (their sense of judgement on the road is very poor and sometimes they are unaware they are on the road.

"frustrated people looking for who to kill them" lol

Church groups can be so annoying, causing traffic without warrants.

#naijaisfuckedup# I'll run away, and very far away, before I report myself to the police. If it is a rural area, the nearest military barracks will be safer.

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 28, 2014
doroboss:
[b][/b]

I would have sworn this was ikenna if not for the moniker grin

Looks like that.

Both of them are ever present in the auto section.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 28, 2014
lonelydora:

If Siena stays in Nigeria, he would have changed his horn like 3 times. Nigerian drivers even honk when the road is free. I don't know if it is what they teach in driving school?
lol
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by tuffgongjo(m): 1:14pm On Oct 28, 2014
I think Ibinabio Fiberisima(AGN president)is in the best position to answer your question.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Joshuadon: 1:15pm On Oct 28, 2014
stay put to salvage the situation
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Boss13: 1:15pm On Oct 28, 2014
A lot of people are making assumption based on hypothetical facts. Truth is - don't experience such; you might either be explaining yourself from a hospital bed to a doctor, a jail cell to the police officer or from HELL FIRE to God. In a sane environment, the best you can do is offer assistance and try to resuscitate the victim but in naija, we have a lot of frustrated people looking for a medium to express their frustration on. So the best I advice is keep your conscience behind your rib cage and let your throttle do the talking.

A friend of mine who just bought a honda 2011 model (evil spirit I think so) was cruising town and his ball joint disconnected (a typical issue with honda cars) and he lost control because he was on speed. A young man who just came from back to the country was fixing his car and GBAM!!! my friend collided with him and his car. The guy died on his way to the hospital. My friend reported to the police and spent two (2) weeks in jail, spent N2,000,000, his family organised three plea meetings with the deceased family before the issue was resolved.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by ihepresy: 1:15pm On Oct 28, 2014
Dat is why we have hit and run drivers in dis country. 4 God sake this is human being and not animal you just killed.for the kind of pple we have in dis country,runing 2 police station is the right thing 2 do.then d police should contact d raod safty dept.and go with them to d place of the accident. Road safty should take it up 4rm there dat is their Job. The driver should remain in the police custody,should not be taking to the place of accident for protection.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 28, 2014
what the man did(running to the police station) is/was theright thing to do 'intrisically' .
____It is only pathetic that the NPF failed him.

Personally when I'm on a street or road and I see people esp. kids on either of the pedestrian lane(left/right). I slow down and keep using my horn till I'm past them.

You know the situation in the country is hard - so some people come to the road and start thinking of their problems.
____ you can even hit a mad man in Nigeria and his/her family would say you have killed their breadwinner

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by resultcase(m): 1:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
Ishilove:

Lmao! cheesy

My elder sister has changed her horn countless times. One particular time during traffic, she was in the process of honking it when it died, yet again. My sis said her voice turned to a horn that day. Whenever one of this crazy Lagos danfos came too close to her, she would immediately shriek at the top her voice "watch, watch!!" If the vehicles preceding were too slow in moving, or pedestrians were hesitant in crossing in front her vehicle, she would stick out her head out of the window and bawl "mooove!!". Very traumatic experience, according to her. grin

Even Dad has changed horns a couple times. He uses 'eba power' to honk that thing, because, according to him, "some people's case have already been concluded in the spirit realm. They are just looking for who will finish it up in the physical" and he refuses to be the scapegoat for such people. cheesy

Lolz.......
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 28, 2014
Very scary situation. But unfortunately, majority of us commenting here would still join in lynching a driver that accidentally kills our very dear or loved one. Its not about being civilised, its about human emotion and the trauma of loosing a loved one at a glimpse. Anyone who has lost a very dear one via accident would understand, its not a funny situation.

Dear Lord, pls don't let me be in any of this situation (being hit, being the one that knocked a passersby or being a dear one to someone that got killed accidentally).

To the question: honestly, I don't know what I would do and I pray for it not to come my way till I depart from this earth joyfullysmiley

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 28, 2014
ogawisdom:

My bros we r discussin wat works in nigeria nt elsewhere hw can u explain d fact dt a man can b brought out frm a police station and killed by angry mobs. Dt can only happen in naija hence we seek nigerian solution to nigerian problems tongue

I am afraid you're right
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by tbaba1234: 1:28pm On Oct 28, 2014
One Okada man decided to die one day, and ran into my stationary vehicle trying to negotiate a bad spot on the road.

He lost control and ran into the vehicle. He flew over the vehicle and landed inside the gutter. For a few seconds, we were praying that this guy had not died. We then saw him moving.. phew!!

Minor injuries.

Anyway, he fixed my car before I left him (as much as he could). Fortunately, those around, recognised that the okada man was at fault but I am sure that story would been different if he died.

5 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 28, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
what the man did(running to the police station) is/was theright thing to do 'intrisically' .
____It is only pathetic that the NPF failed him.

Personally when I'm on a street or road and I see people esp. kids on either of the pedestrian lane(left/right). I slow down and keep using my horn till I'm past them.

You know the situation in the country is hard - so some people come to the road and start thinking of their problems.
____ you can even hit a mad man in Nigeria and his/her family would say you have killed their breadwinner
well talked grin
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by tellwisdom: 1:37pm On Oct 28, 2014
How can you hit someone? ?...you know dey see?? sad....Abi if eye dey pain u, u no go leave steering??
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 28, 2014
Hmmmmm....been trying to know why peeps run away immediately after hitting someone. Same thing happened to my Brother last month. He called to tell me. I begged him to turn himself-in ASAP angry. Why flee? What if the victim would have been saved by a quick medical attention? So, I'm thinking...the trick is: immediately it happens, alight and scream for help while lifting the person. I doubt if they gonna show their brutish *ss undecided sad
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by okpamson15(m): 1:45pm On Oct 28, 2014
The only thing to do in case of a situation like this is to pretend that u suspend a serious injury if posible u should faint self. If any of the mod touch u do as the very part hav being broken. And if u no quite sure that u kil many make sure u hit ur car some where too 2 damage then u aply what i said above. My uncle try it and he escape the angry mod.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by clemz85(m): 1:46pm On Oct 28, 2014
2legit2qwt:

WOW! Dude! I'm speechless.. You encourage him to leave the victim/s even if there was the possibility of him saving someone. Then you talk about bribing your way out of the situation and then "move on with life" undecided That's why the country is fuked up

brother we are talking about Nigeria here, don't forget that most time the odd just works

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 28, 2014
Joshuadon:
stay put to salvage the situation
e be like say you no read the post.

No be only Salvage... na Tiwa.

3 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by unitysheart(m): 1:49pm On Oct 28, 2014
My dad had a similar experience on March 8. Two kids died when they bumped into his jeep. He parked his car a lil bit away from the scene and reported the case at the nearby police station in Dopemu. He was kept in the station for two days and was charged to court on March 10. Court granted him bail and was released from kirikiri two days after on March 12. We kept gouing to court since then. I personally buriedthe children three weeks after and paid for the expenses of the burial arrangements. God was on our side as the DPP advised that the case against my dad be thrown out. He was discharged and acquitted on October 13. My dad was crying in court.

The truth is no one can determine what fate he will have if faced with such a situation. We can onlly appeal to God and be careful not to be in such situation.

Reporting at the police station is still the best thing to do. Butone must always be wise as a dove but cautious as a serpent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by hopeforcharles(m): 1:52pm On Oct 28, 2014
lomomike:

You'll be mobbed by the nearest mobs. If you knocked someone in Kano city, go to Kastina or Jigawa and report. Then and only then would you be 'a bit safe' when you're done, change the colour of your car paint or sell off the car before coming into Kano City again or else na GOBE!
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked my guy have u lived in kano before? Kano is where if you hit some one they will say that is the will of God,its only in places like lagos that they kill people when things like that happens
how do i know?
I live in Kano
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by omoharry(f): 1:53pm On Oct 28, 2014
Ishilove:

Lmao! cheesy

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Nairaland , una no go kill me with laugh today. Haba!. una too funny; cracking my ribs out here.
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 28, 2014
My car no go hit person not to talk of kill and vice versa. Been driving for over a decade now and the Lord has been merciful #positivetots

1 Like

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by InvertedHammer: 2:08pm On Oct 28, 2014
ogawisdom:
This thread is motivated by the thread where a lecturer who ran to the police station after killing 5 pupil while trying to dodge a trailer was brought out from the police station and killed by angry mobs angry undecided. What did this man do wrong for God's sake it's an accident.

Now in this thread I want us to discuss d correct thing to b done if one finds himself in this situation as a Nigerian driver to avoid being killed like the lecturer above while showing some care for d one u hit ie assuming he/she is still alive n needs medical attention.

Ultimately drop one or two hints on how to avoid finding one's self in this situation.

Let's see what works in naija, though our diaspora bro and sis are welcomed.

My observation is that the driver is always wrong even if the person is practically lying down on the road. The driver is always accused of over speeding by everyone around even though the person hit was careless.

To avoid this situation as a driver I pay special attention to all road users while driving especially pedestrians; the most vulnerable are children, mad people, drunk people, agboro people, frustrated people looking for who to kill them, rioters, church crusade groups, other groups on the road to advertise something, and elderly ppl (their sense of judgement on the road is very poor and sometimes they are unaware they are on the road.
\
Drive to an Area Command or Central Police station.

If in the North, step on it.

/
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by Joshuadon: 2:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
Pyrrho:
e be like say you no read the post.

No be only Salvage... na Tiwa.

lol ................ grin grin grin grin
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by slimmingcare(f): 2:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
I pray never to experience such because it is easier said than done

2 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by MadCow1: 2:11pm On Oct 28, 2014
[b]True Story...

My Hommies friend who works the night shift at his job was on his way back from work in Port-Harcourt one bright and early saturday Morning at about 6a.m when out of the blues comes this guy that staggers into the road.

The guy naturally reacted and swerved to avoid hitting the guy head-on and succeeded, however the guy impacted the side of the car, hitting the side with his hand so hard he spun and hit the hard tarred road with his head and with no reflex reaction whatsoever to break his fall with his hands or even protect himself..

The guy screeches to a halt, alights and bolts towards the body of the man which was moving in spasimic rythym. As he was crouched over the guy, he could perceive the stench of fermented alcohol mixed with his tattared and unwashed dirty clothes all emanating from the victim. almost immediately, he started hearing voices coming out of the nooks and crannies in-between the houses and stalls. He glanced around and saw dem niggas with sticks and stuff heading towards him. That was when somebody pulls up and shouts get into your car and go call the Police.. The dude jumps up, makes it to his car and just as he was driving off, the sticks and stones started flying at him.. Some even tried to block his path with tyres but it was too late.. He got away.

He makes it to the first Police station he saw and reported the matter. Immediately, the Police grabs him, handcuffs him, makes him write a statement there and then, throw him into a cell and proceed to write a charge of 'Hit & run' up against him.. grin

Then thry proceeded to the accident scene. By then guy was dead for sure. The Police then met with his family and said they had arrested the Driver of the car that hit the Nigga. grin

As word got out, the guys friends started showing up to see him in jail. They were pulling up in different cars.. latest Sedans, SUV's, some Power bikes and stuff sef. All dressed well and speaking big grammar and english.. grin Next thing the Family starts talking about how the Man was about to send all his Family to the U.S before his life was cut short.. grin

Later it was discovered that the Police had connived with his family to make the guy part with a huge sum.. And they had already stated their cut of the blood money.

In the end, the guy spent 500,000 Naira to kill that case.[/b]
Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by RaptorX: 2:12pm On Oct 28, 2014
To that guy comparing Los Angeles to Nigeria, pls there is no basis for comparism. You might have an isolated cases of a mob beating up on a motorist for hitting a pedestrian here and there, but you cant use the incident in Los Angeles to justify the barbaric behavior of people being lynched for traffic accident in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? by DaBullIT(m): 2:14pm On Oct 28, 2014
2legit2qwt:

WOW! Dude! I'm speechless.. You encourage him to leave the victim/s even if there was the possibility of him saving someone. Then you talk about bribing your way out of the situation and then "move on with life" undecided That's why the country is fuked up

You saw what you wanted to see . I saw his post differently being in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Would You Buy This 1982 Peugeot 504 Station Wagon For ₦6million? / The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars / Car Washer Wrecks His Client’s Car After Driving It To Buy Food (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.