Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,884 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans (1185 Views)

Gbedion : Social Crowdfunding For Africans / Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. / Is Nairaland Becoming A Search Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans by naijatechworld: 11:42am On Oct 27, 2014
This is my 1st web app ever and it is a search engine to get any type of jobs in the whole continent of Africa. Right now, I mostly concentrated on engineering/programming jobs in Nigeria. Alot of people need jobs (basically money) and this web app does a good job in letting people know where they can get money from and who to contact or how to apply.

Because I don't have money myself, I used a free web hosting service, so I'll like to apologize in the future for the popup you'll see when you first go to the site. Once I make more money, I'll move my website and files to a paid hosting service and thus people won't see the popup any longer when they go to the site. Im open to comments, corrections and criticism but please understand that I only came on Nairaland to tell you about the web app. I'll be working all day on the site and I won't have time to converse here until about tomorrow. Apart from that, have A Good Monday & A Great Day Ahead.

Here is the link ~> http://getjob.comxa.com/
Re: This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans by blueyedgeek(m): 9:29pm On Oct 28, 2014
Interactivity is nonexistent on mobile using opera mini. (It doesn't even do anything at all)

Consider adding a bit more information on the site detailing what the app is for and how it is useful, "search for jobs in Africa" isn't enough. Try to add a bit more "activity" to the app, it feels a bit "lonely".

Additionally, if your app uses only client side codes, you should consider hosting it on github pages, at least, that would get rid of the ads.

I checked it on opera mini, will update this post once I check it on pc.

1 Like

Re: This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans by naijatechworld: 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2014
blueyedgeek:
Interactivity is nonexistent on mobile using opera mini. (It doesn't even do anything at all)

Consider adding a bit more information on the site detailing what the app is for and how it is useful, "search for jobs in Africa" isn't enough. Try to add a bit more "activity" to the app, it feels a bit "lonely".

Additionally, if your app uses only client side codes, you should consider hosting it on github pages, at least, that would get rid of the ads.

I checked it on opera mini, will update this post once I check it on pc.

Thanks for your knowledge and input. I really appreciate everything. I'll work on it.
Re: This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans by naijatechworld: 11:39pm On Oct 29, 2014
I've removed the popup that use to show up on my website so now you can access http://getjob.comxa.com/ without any disturbance.

1 Like

Re: This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans by davidsmith8900: 7:22am On Oct 30, 2014
naijatechworld:
I've removed the popup that use to show up on my website so now you can access http://getjob.comxa.com/ without any disturbance.

I just visited this site and it is pretty neat and simple. I like the job search engine but what makes it different than other job search engines like Jobberman and etc? Why should users use your search engine, when they can use Jobberman or something else? What makes your search engine special? Or different?

1 Like

Re: This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans by naijatechworld: 1:16pm On Oct 30, 2014
davidsmith8900:

I just visited this site and it is pretty neat and simple. I like the job search engine but what makes it different than other job search engines like Jobberman and etc? Why should users use your search engine, when they can use Jobberman or something else? What makes your search engine special? Or different?

1. Well it cuts data cost by removing images and information that is not needed
2. It directs you quickly to the app site so that one doesn't have to waste time
3. It loads up faster and it gives you a broader range of jobs in Africa. Many Nigerian job search engines only stick to Nigeria or other countries in West Africa at most.
Re: This Is My 1st Web App Ever - A Search Engine For Africans by davidsmith8900: 6:05pm On Oct 30, 2014
naijatechworld:

1. Well it cuts data cost by removing images and information that is not needed
2. It directs you quickly to the app site so that one doesn't have to waste time
3. It loads up faster and it gives you a broader range of jobs in Africa. Many Nigerian job search engines only stick to Nigeria or other countries in West Africa at most.

About how much data cost? How fast and efficient is it compared to other job search sites? Africa is a big continent, not a country. How long will it take u 2 have all the job vacancies in Africa online, when many people in Africa don't have the internet?

(1) (Reply)

WOW!... This 7 Years Old From Kenya Develops Mobile App / Who Is Familiar With Hosting A Codeigniter Project On Heroku? / Edited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.