Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,331 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! (2143 Views)

Three Arguments For God's Existence / Absolute Proof Of God's Existence / The Interesting things About God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 27, 2014
A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut
and his beard trimmed. As the barber began to
work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of
God, the barber said: "I don't believe that God
exists." "Why do you say that?" asked the customer. "Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist.
Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

The customer thought for a moment, but didn't
respond because he didn't want to start an
argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and un-kept.

The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber: "You know what? Barbers do not exist." "How can you say that?" asked the surprised barber. "I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!" "No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside." "Ah, but barbers DO exist! What happens is, people do not come to me."

"Exactly!"- affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist! What happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him. That's why there's so much pain and
suffering in the world."

Hope You Gain Something From This!

1 Like

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by davien(m): 2:29pm On Oct 27, 2014
Godditex:
work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects.

exists." "Why do you say that?" asked the customer. "Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist.
Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and un-kept.

The customer turned back and entered the barber shop again and he said to the barber: "You know what? Barbers do not exist." "How can you say that?" asked the surprised barber. "I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!" "No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside." "Ah, but barbers DO exist! What happens is, people do not come to me."

"Exactly!"- affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist! What happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him. That's why there's so much pain and
suffering in the world."

[b] let me presume that you are an evangelical Christian.....
I'll first ask how is a barber and your "god" concept synonymous?
barber's are people who render their services in exchange for money..... "god" according to your sacred texts is a transcendent father of contradictory features ( namely being space-less,time-less and somehow omnipresent at the same time ) that by definition is caring and just ( with another contradictory feature of being merciful at the same time )....being a father that is supposedly caring.....just and merciful would not allow his children to stream off into danger and not do anything.... undecided
more so a father with those features to let his children willfully be punished infinitely for finite crimes that he himself dictated altogether is just appalling....
Overall barber's can choose to not render services whether you are willing to pay them or not....a father can also choose to ignore his duties to his children, but when this is done....we do not call such a father that neglects his duties...caring or just....
And people can choose to neglect a barber's services for whatever reasons they seem fit.....a child can also neglect a father's love ... but the love and care itself is not withdrawn(if the father is indeed caring)...it is rather geared towards the best interest of the child......
The case as to regarding your "god" concept are people who constantly do not seek harm towards themselves and yet come into a world that brings them harm and yet they are supposed to believe that in some way someone of unknown origin... exists that can willfully prevent it 100%, but chooses not to.. undecided

view the concept you call "god" with your analogy of it and see why it doesn't hold water in comparison to unshaven people....or did children in Somalia choose to be sickly or die of starvation just like a person can choose not to shave? smiley [/b]

8 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by plaetton: 2:46pm On Oct 27, 2014
It is amazing what these people come up with everyday to convince themselves, not atheists, that their sky fairy actually exists.

Only people with plenty of doubts, troubling doubts, would concoct these inane , moronic stories to validate their silly beliefs.

I swear, these guys must be from an alternate universe.

7 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by macof(m): 3:43pm On Oct 27, 2014
Godditex:

suffering in the world."

Ok. But like a dirty bearded man can go to any of the millions of barbers in the world.
I guess man can go to any of the millions of Gods in the world

9 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by rinrin23(f): 3:54pm On Oct 27, 2014
Godditex:

suffering in the world."

You visit a barber and get a haircut in minutes. These folks have been going to God for years and still remain in poverty, Nigerian pastors have been praying for good governance yet we are still where we are, so what's the excuse. Why is it that you are more assured to get a haircut at a barbers than to get answered prayers at a church.

There's so much pain and suffering because people are looking to God rather than solving their own problems. Parents are sowing tithes and 'first fruits' instead of putting food on the table and paying school fees. Please! I have gained NOTHING from this post.

12 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by GooseBaba: 4:04pm On Oct 27, 2014
macof:

Ok. But like a dirty bearded man can go to any of the millions of barbers in the world.
I guess man can go to any of the millions of Gods in the world

Or a dirty bearded man can decide to barb his own hair... grin grin

5 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 27, 2014
GooseBaba:

Or a dirty bearded man can decide to barb his own hair... grin grin
Why would he do that? It is risky. His hands were given to him by the barber. THESE FUCKING CHRESTARDS...
Do not cut your hair yourself for the GREAT Barber shall make you bald!!!

1 Like

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by finofaya: 4:56pm On Oct 27, 2014
Godditex:

suffering in the world."

Is this your answer to the problem of evil? Let’s compare and contrast God and a barber, so that we can see how well your analogy works:

Difference; God is omnipresent, a barber is not. If the barber were omnipresent you would not be able to go to him since he will be where you are. God, being omnipresent, is wherever the needy are so the issue of going to him does not arise.

Difference; Unkempt hair does not hurt the keeper and hair can be left unkempt by choice. Suffering on the other hand is not by choice and the sufferer always wishes for an end to the suffering. Wishing for suffering to end is a form of calling on, or going to, God.

Difference; God has control over the emergence of suffering whereas the barber has no control over the growth of hair.

Similarity; The barber does not go about cutting people’s hair. Neither does God go about ending suffering.

Similarity; A barber may refuse you a haircut and God may refuse your prayer and keep you suffering.

I hope you can now see that it is only advanced blindness that can make a person see your OP and agree that it is correct. People have called on God and he has ignored them. If he was going to stop people from suffering anyway, why allow them suffer in the first place? Perhaps he wants to hear people call on him? Just face it dude: there cannot be suffering and a merciful omnipotent God in the same universe.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2014
finofaya:

Is this your answer to the problem of evil? Let’s compare and contrast God and a barber, so that we can see how well your analogy works:

Difference; God is omnipresent, a barber is not. If the barber were omnipresent you would not be able to go to him since he will be where you are. God, being omnipresent, is wherever the needy are so the issue of going to him does not arise.

Difference; Unkempt hair does not hurt the keeper and hair can be left unkempt by choice. Suffering on the other hand is not by choice and the sufferer always wishes for an end to the suffering. Wishing for suffering to end is a form of calling on, or going to, God.

Difference; God has control over the emergence of suffering whereas the barber has no control over the growth of hair.

Similarity; The barber does not go about cutting people’s hair. Neither does God go about ending suffering.

Similarity; A barber may refuse you a haircut and God may refuse your prayer and keep you suffering.

I hope you can now see that it is only advanced blindness that can make a person see your OP and agree that it is correct. People have called on God and he has ignored them. If he was going to stop people from suffering anyway, why allow them suffer in the first place? Perhaps he wants to hear people call on him? Just face it dude: there cannot be suffering and a merciful omnipotent God in the same universe.

I did not want to type anything but brother thank you for this answer.
Gbam!

1 Like

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by mmsen: 7:56pm On Oct 27, 2014
I love it when people have to resort to more myths to justify the first one that they couldn't substantiate.

3 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by GooseBaba: 8:26pm On Oct 27, 2014
mmsen:
I love it when people have to resort to more myths to justify the first one that they couldn't substantiate.

grin grin grin grin grin...Bros na love you love... Me I just tire for their delusion raised to power 2.... Minus 66 divided by infinity parallel to WTF..!!!

2 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 27, 2014
i tire reading these weak play on reverse psychology Christian liars often post on Nairaland. if you are looking for something to believe, you will surely fall for it, if you are not, well you will feel like slapping the bjesus out of the OP angry

2 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by asalimpo(m): 8:42pm On Oct 27, 2014
only atheist respondg!!
Where ar d theists.

Anyway, the parallels fit and negate such arguments as "if God exists y is there so much evil on earth".

A: there is evil on earth, therefore God doesnt exist.

B. there are unkempt people, therefore barbers dont exist.

This is the essence and it fits.
Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by davien(m): 11:36pm On Oct 27, 2014
asalimpo:
only atheist respondg!!
Where ar d theists.
I believe you've seen the name of the topic...especially for atheists... undecided

Anyway, the parallels fit and negate such arguments as "if God exists y is there so much evil on earth".
lets review your deductions shall we

correction there is suffering in the world therefore a caring god that has the ability and will to stop it 100% is not possible or rather is not really caring but uncaring.....
The feature of what you call "god".. does not match the reality of things....

correction...there are unshaven people therefore they either prefer to remain so or are unwilling or uncapable of getting a haircut... smiley

The op built his entire analogy on a false dichotomy....besides the one of there being a "god" in the first place....he posits that people do not perceive "god" because they don't look for "god" therefore to them "god" doesn't exist and people who do not seek barber's are somehow the same.....so far, we've all reviewed this as a fallacy... smiley

1 Like

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by plaetton: 11:57pm On Oct 27, 2014
asalimpo:
only atheist respondg!!
Where ar d theists.

But the barber is not credited with creating hairs, neither is he expected to, or even beseeched on a daily basis to solve all the hair problems of the world.

God, on the other hand, supposedly talks the talk, but is AWOL when it's time to walk the walk.

3 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by asalimpo(m): 12:09am On Oct 28, 2014
^^^
If God exists, He will stop all the evil in the world.
There is evil in the world,therefore God doesnt exist!

The atheistic model of God.
How do you know your model isnt the problem?

Any logical person wud see that the analogies are essentially d same.
Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by asalimpo(m): 12:20am On Oct 28, 2014
plaetton:

But the barber is not credited with creating hairs, neither is he expected to, or even beseeched on a daily basis to solve all the hair problems of the world.

God, on the other hand, supposedly talks the talk, but is AWOL when it's time to walk the walk.
The barber is'nt morally bound to give a haircut , even if the customer tenders money.
Tht does'nt stop him from being a barber.The barber has d right to discriminate on customers - like most business people do. That does'nt dispute his existence.

Judging the existence of God on moral grounds is itself a fallacy of reasoning.
Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by asalimpo(m): 12:35am On Oct 28, 2014
In d analogy it is assumed tht clients know they are in need of a barber and have the means to pay for a haircut. That the barber will not go out his way to solicit clients on the street.

It is assumed so by setting the barbers profile to real-life barbers.

Yet,God's profile is set to an arbitrary model-the atheistic/sceptics model - and viola! You claim an unjustified conclusion .

By the biblical-model,
God , in comparison to d barber -
would go out into the streets and call in customers.
See the parable of the banquet.
While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us!
God would give a haircut without charging - completely free.
People have need of a haircut but dont know ,-
"while we were dead in trespasses and sin/man without Christ walks in darkness " etc.
We shud b clear on which model we're using to judge God here.
The sceptic/atheist model or the bible model.
The barber model is pegged by a real life standard. But God isnt human or physcal, so the atheist sceptic model is a human conjecture of wat God should be.
Yet this conjecture is pushed as being objectvly absolute.
The bible however is the standard for the bible God,not some other person's contrivance.
Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by GooseBaba: 1:47am On Oct 28, 2014
asalimpo:
In d analogy it is assumed tht clients know they are in need of a barber and have the means to pay for a haircut. That the barber will not go out his way to solicit clients on the street.

It is assumed so by setting the barbers profile to real-life barbers.

Yet,God's profile is set to an arbitrary model-the atheistic/sceptics model - and viola! You claim an unjustified conclusion .

By the biblical-model,
God , in comparison to d barber -
would go out into the streets and call in customers.
See the parable of the banquet.
While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us!
God would give a haircut without charging - completely free.
People have need of a haircut but dont know ,-
"while we were dead in trespasses and sin/man without Christ walks in darkness " etc.
We shud b clear on which model we're using to judge God here.
The sceptic/atheist model or the bible model.
The barber model is pegged by a real life standard. But God isnt human or physcal, so the atheist sceptic model is a human conjecture of wat God should be.
Yet this conjecture is pushed as being objectvly absolute.
The bible however is the standard for the bible God,not some other person's contrivance.

Thanks for clarifying "the bible god standard".... Going by bible god's claims. Omnipresent things.. Clearly there is a disconnect. Why is he not present when sharp guys are accused of walking in darkness without Christ.

You will notice you and your likes keep spreading your azz cheeks in public when you make up stories for your god..

1 Like

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by plaetton: 2:43am On Oct 28, 2014
asalimpo:

The barber is'nt morally bound to give a haircut , even if the customer tenders money.
Tht does'nt stop him from being a barber.The barber has d right to discriminate on customers - like most business people do. That does'nt dispute his existence.

Judging the existence of God on moral grounds is itself a fallacy of reasoning.

No one judges the existence of god on moral grounds.
If god exists, his existence should never be something to be judged.

Gravity, for example, does all that we expect it to do. No one needs to go out it their way to prove to any unbeliever of gravity.
Likewise the Sun.
Even all the invisible electromagnetic frequencies do not need a priesthood to convince anyone of their existence.
Even the elusive Higgs Bosson particle, once a subject of scientific myth, has been proven to exist by using rational means pry open the secrets of the universe.
God, on the other hand, seem to be existing only only the minds of ( I am sorry to say) lesser intelligent people who offer nothing, nothing but their own doubts and fears to point to an invisible skyfairy.
Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by frank317: 12:25pm On Oct 28, 2014
Godditex:

suffering in the world."

pls what did u gain from the crap above? if i liken a barber to your God, then i would say since a barber did not make the hair, then your Gods did not create humans.
LOL your God wants his creation to look for him... he sure does hide and seek game right? well, at least you have just confirmed that he is hiding.

2 Likes

Re: A Story About God Existence Especially For Atheists.....must Read! by Kay17: 2:19pm On Oct 28, 2014
asalimpo:
only atheist respondg!!
Where ar d theists.

A: there is evil on earth, therefore God doesn't exist.

B. there are unkempt people, therefore barbers don't exist.

It is a mere analogy and the atheists are protesting that it doesn't fit with God's case. But it all depends on what evil is. If Evil is whatever is against God's Will then God as an omnipotent being does not exist.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Are Atheist Right On Paris Attacks? / How Can You Say Watching Porn Is A Sin, So Far I'm Not Committing Adultery / Is It Right For A Church To Invite Comedian To Crack Joke On The 'pulpit' ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.