Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,817 members, 7,817,379 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents (52148 Views)

Top Ten Sexiest Accents / Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans / Nigerians & Foreign Accents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by pomide(m): 1:47pm On Nov 03, 2014
but na Britain colonize us na...we just dey follow their footsteps wink
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by omobadan(m): 1:38am On Nov 04, 2014
I don't think a lot of you people understand what having an accent means. You think accent is something you can just pick up from the market? People here are saying there's nothing wrong with someone who hasn't left the Nigerian shores to be speaking with fake American or British accent. That means the British or the American expats living in Naija will have Nigerian accent eventually. What utter rubbish! Have you seen anyone at those embassies who isn't from Nigeria speak with Naija accent? The only reason why we do that rubbish is because we're suffering from colonial mentality. Nothing more.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by joyceok: 3:32am On Nov 04, 2014
omobadan:
I don't think a lot of you people understand what having an accent means. You think accent is something you can just pick up from the market? People here are saying there's nothing wrong with someone who hasn't left the Nigerian shores to be speaking with fake American or British accent. That means the British or the American expats living in Naija will have Nigerian accent eventually. What utter rubbish! Have you seen anyone at those embassies who isn't from Nigeria speak with Naija accent? The only reason why we do that rubbish is because we're suffering from colonial mentality. Nothing more.

Very correct

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by babeface3: 6:10pm On Nov 04, 2014
majekdom2:
after one year , a thick accent disappears ? bros , how she take do am abeg , I wan do too . do you know what thick accent is ... you should hear kanu who lived more than 10 years in europe speak .
Its all about consciousness, she did know that her classmates like my former girlfriend kept saying "say that again" whenever she communicated or tried to do so, hence an effort for improvement. Kanu is a super star right from inception of his career, he and a host of thers like him might not need to work on their accent (like telling C Ronaldo that he must speak English, or translate Portuguese to English); his skills have overwhelmed all.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by wildikeman(m): 8:49am On Nov 07, 2014
WoodcrestMayor:
Wat do I av to say dat hasn't been said

I don't av a problem wit u if itz genuine.I dey only vex if na fake angry

But why d copy copy?Itz has gotten to a stage where parents forbid their children to speak Nigerian languages.Some don't even bend wen greeting let alone prostrate.The moment u speak any Nigerian language or wit Nigerian accent,u r classified as razz/local/unrefined.

If u can pick sumtin(eg. accent) and drop it at will,u r fake and not different from a con artist.

A lot of countries now look up to China cos they av stood against d systemic erosion of their values and culture by the West.They av an identity visible to d blind and audible to d deaf.
Nigerians speak wit foreign accents,dress like foreigners and live like foreigners.Some can't even cook any Naija food;dey can't speak any Nigerian language and av thrown respect normally shown to elders into d bin of history.

D question now is-"What makes us Nigerian?"...I guess just name dat is left.

I don't av any foreign accent but I won't stop my kids from acquiring dem so long dey don't fake it.I'll do my best to teach dem our values(those tins dat make us Nigerian).They must undastand/speak my mother tongue...doesn't stop dem from learning oda languages and above all,appreciate Nigeria and wat she stands for.

God bless Nigeria smiley
oga Tafa and other Nigerian compatriots that have passed with the strong OP English nkor...what wud u say about them. U people talk absent sense. If we all spoke English correctly, then we would sound almost british just like wole Soyinka and the rest of them like him. But u forget that China wasn't colonized by any great power and for that they can't have an accent. Do you even watch cctv? To see the phonetics going on there? If you want to leave the western culture and you attended a university here or abroad I say to you sir that you are nothing but a Goddamn hypocrite. Go to BH and enter their school. I have a british accent as well as an American one...maybe not exactly as I have been there. But its fun...and it has helped me a lot. Its not your business or the nonsense lying Op or anyone to judge if una no like am see transformer go kiss am. Rubbish!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by WoodcrestMayor(m): 4:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Did we av a fight?

Did u read anywhere in my post dat I av problems wit accents?D only problem I av is faking it.

Are u d one to tell me China wasn't colonized by any1?

Do u av to be colonized to lose your cultural heritage?

Is it just accent dat makes up cultural heritage?

Do u need any1 to tell u u're in china per adventure u wake up there?Everytin from d pple to architecture screams China.D pple are respectful,their trado-medicine is still intact.Their local delicacies remain untouched.

Was India not colonized?

Have dey lost themselves?

Was America not colonized by Britain?

Do dey speak alike?

I don't av british or america accent and it hasn't stopped me from getting admissions into d best skools around.I av done presentations and I've attended interviews.I av a job and I can always get better ones in future.

...I really don't do dis but pls don't quote me if u don't av concrete points.
Thank you
wildikeman:
oga Tafa and other Nigerian compatriots that have passed with the strong OP English nkor...what wud u say about them. U people talk absent sense. If we all spoke English correctly, then we would sound almost british just like wole Soyinka and the rest of them like him. But u forget that China wasn't colonized by any great power and for that they can't have an accent. Do you even watch cctv? To see the phonetics going on there? If you want to leave the western culture and you attended a university here or abroad I say to you sir that you are nothing but a Goddamn hypocrite. Go to BH and enter their school. I have a british accent as well as an American one...maybe not exactly as I have been there. But its fun...and it has helped me a lot. Its not your business or the nonsense lying Op or anyone to judge if una no like am see transformer go kiss am. Rubbish!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 08, 2014
CFCfan:

The answer is simply that there is nothing "funky" about an African accent.
Heck, even someone who travels to Douala will be faking a British accent when he returns to Naija grin

lol ... best answer in this thread ... I can't stop laughing and the people around me think I am going crazy
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 08, 2014
Fulaman198:

Exactly, Speaking good English doesn't meaning copying an American or British accent. The Ivorians speak good French, but they are not copying the French or Quebecois.

The people most proud of being African seem to be the Senegalese, they are quickly abandoning the French language in favour of Wolof. Not everyone in Senegal is Wolof but every ethnic group is starting to use Wolof as the lingua Franca.

Yeah but where in the world a person can go with Wolof. If you speak English you can almost go to any country in the world and people will accommodate you. I don't think it is wise for the Senegalese to abandon French for Wolof given that Senegal isn't a superpower. A beggar can't be a chooser.

As for the Ivorians not copying the French, I am wondering what are you talking about. You will find people in Ivory Coast who would tell you they grew up in France whereas they never crossed their country borders.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Fulaman198(m): 8:45am On Nov 08, 2014
TheCongo:

Yeah but where in the world a person can go with Wolof. If you speak English you can almost go to any country in the world and people will accommodate you. I don't think it is wise for the Senegalese to abandon French for Wolof given that Senegal isn't a superpower. A beggar can't be a chooser.

As for the Ivorians not copying the French, I am wondering what are you talking about. You will find people in Ivory Coast who would tell you they grew up in France whereas they never crossed their country borders.

Do these so-called Superpowers care about you as an African person? no! they mock you and even spit in your face. Africans need to stop being submissive slaves to people that don't even like or care about them. Be proud of your own heritage and culture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 08, 2014
Fulaman198:

Do these so-called Superpowers care about you as an African person? no! they mock you and even spit in your face. Africans need to stop being submissive slaves to people that don't even like or care about them. Be proud of your own heritage and culture.

Sir, you seem to forget that Senegal or any other African country can't survive on its own. Yes, those Superpowers don't care about us but we can't do without them. Reason why the travel section on Nairaland is full of visa application topics. Be realistic.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Fulaman198(m): 8:57am On Nov 08, 2014
TheCongo:

Sir, you seem to forget that Senegal or any other African country can't survive on its own. Yes, those Superpowers don't care about us but we can't do without them. Reason why the travel section on Nairaland is full of visa application topics. Be realistic.

That's a bunch of bullcrap, we survive without them on our own. They don't really help us, they just build companies in our own land and steal and pilfer our own natural resources.....How is that exactly helping us? It's making us weaker as a whole. We must help ourselves and stop being modern day slaves that bow down like a bunch of fools.

You don't gain respect by being a subservient wimp. You gain respect by showing your strength.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 08, 2014
Fulaman198:

That's a bunch of bullcrap, we survive without them on our own. They don't really help us, they just build companies in our own land and steal and pilfer our own natural resources.....How is that exactly helping us? It's making us weaker as a whole. We must help ourselves and stop being modern day slaves that bow down like a bunch of fools.

You don't gain respect by being a subservient wimp. You gain respect by showing your strength.

Correct. We survived without them but that was then, back in the days. But today is a different ball game. It will be difficult to survive without them. The world is now one big village and everything is interconnected. The Naira will always be valued against the US dollar. They make the law, they set the prices. Bro, you should face reality.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Fulaman198(m): 9:07am On Nov 08, 2014
TheCongo:

Correct. We survived without them but that was then, back in the days. But today is a different ball game. It will be difficult to survive without them. The world is now one big village and everything is interconnected. The Naira will always be valued against the US dollar. They make the law, they set the prices. Bro, you should face reality.

Facing reality means that we should stop relying on them. Africans are a disgrace. How can you be stooping like a slave and worshipping the ground they walk on? They come to your country and steal your natural resources, and you call that helping? that's bullcrap! Grow a pair of balls, and join in on picking good and competent leaders that respective their own people and don't bow down to westerners like a bunch of sellouts.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 08, 2014
Fulaman198:

Facing reality means that we should stop relying on them. Africans are a disgrace. How can you be stooping like a slave and worshipping the ground they walk on? They come to your country and steal your natural resources, and you call that helping? that's bullcrap! Grow a pair of balls, and join in on picking good and competent leaders that respective their own people and don't bow down to westerners like a bunch of sellouts.

Money talks.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Fulaman198(m): 12:32am On Nov 09, 2014
TheCongo:

Money talks.

Honour and bravery speaks/talks more

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 1:34am On Nov 09, 2014
Fulaman198:

Honour and bravery speaks/talks more

Bro, reality is something different. If you don't have money, no one will even notice how brave you are or how much honour you have.
King Solomon said this:
Wisdom is better than strength. But the poor man's wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 09, 2014
TheCongo:

Bro, reality is something different. If you don't have money, no one will even notice how brave you are or how much honour you have.
King Solomon said this:
Wisdom is better than strength. But the poor man's wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard.
was malala yousafzi rich before she made a mark ? the wisdom of a poor man who never puts his wisdom into action is what solomon talked about . wisdom engenders bravery and honour in different form when it is put into work.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 09, 2014
majekdom2:
was malala yousafzi rich before she made a mark ? the wisdom of a poor man who never puts his wisdom into action is what solomon talked about . wisdom engenders bravery and honour in different form when it is put into work.

Solomon clearly states that no one wants to hear the words of a poor man even when they make a lot of sense. This is real life my friend.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 09, 2014
TheCongo:

Solomon clearly states that no one wants to hear the words of a poor man even when they make a lot of sense. This is real life my friend.
SO WHAT LIFE DID MALALA YOUFASZI COME FROM ... WHO IS SOLOMON ? WOULD YOU QOUTE SOLOMON'S SAYING TO AN ATHEIST OR MOSLEM. MALALA IS FROM A POOR PAKISTANI HOME . WHY IS SHE BEING LISTENED TO ?HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU THINK WOULD LISTEN TO THE GAY ACLAIMED CEO OF APPLE
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by StarFlux: 5:18pm On Nov 09, 2014
Fulaman198:

True words, my friend.

When you are burdened, you feel the need to rid yourself of said burden. This is no different. The west is a burden that continues to undermine Africa and Africans. If they wanted to help us, they would teach and spread knowledge. Instead they are pretending to be offering temporary help until they have depleted our natural resources. Didn't we wear clothes before the west came?

Ki oyinbo to de la ti nwo aso.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by wildikeman(m): 8:40pm On Nov 09, 2014
WoodcrestMayor:
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Did we av a fight?

Did u read anywhere in my post dat I av problems wit accents?D only problem I av is faking it.

Are u d one to tell me China wasn't colonized by any1?

Do u av to be colonized to lose your cultural heritage?

Is it just accent dat makes up cultural heritage?

Do u need any1 to tell u u're in china per adventure u wake up there?Everytin from d pple to architecture screams China.D pple are respectful,their trado-medicine is still intact.Their local delicacies remain untouched.

Was India not colonized?

Have dey lost themselves?

Was America not colonized by Britain?

Do dey speak alike?

I don't av british or america accent and it hasn't stopped me from getting admissions into d best skools around.I av done presentations and I've attended interviews.I av a job and I can always get better ones in future.

...I really don't do dis but pls don't quote me if u don't av concrete points.
Thank you
what are you saying...? American names and culture aren't they similar to the brits...saint Patrick's day and some others...India ke...go and see how Indians behave and speak English then come and tell them their culture is intact. They even almost want to be white. The brits here have not tampered with our culture or way of speaking. Its been over fifty years that they have been gone you know. China have their tradition coz they weren't colonized at all. By any one and for that you can still see traces of their culture. See the Irish and australians for example. They had a strong culture but still with a few traces of the English even with their language... Need more points?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by WoodcrestMayor(m): 12:29am On Nov 11, 2014
wildikeman:
what are you saying...? American names and culture aren't they similar to the brits...saint Patrick's day and some others...India ke...go and see how Indians behave and speak English then come and tell them their culture is intact. They even almost want to be white. The brits here have not tampered with our culture or way of speaking. Its been over fifty years that they have been gone you know. China have their tradition coz they weren't colonized at all. By any one and for that you can still see traces of their culture. See the Irish and australians for example. They had a strong culture but still with a few traces of the English even with their language... Need more points?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by BlueMagic2(m): 5:44pm On Nov 24, 2014
So am at the MMA airport about to go back to the US and the next thing i know the policeman at the door starts blowing phonee for me. I couldn't help but start laughing cos i was wondering why he was trying to speak in an American accent. I had to break out in pidgin and he starts laughing. He said he overheard me on the phone and thought i am American and he says " Bros na wa o, i think say you be americana, find something for your man" It was so funny. "See policeman dey blow phonee. Lol"
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by tpia6: 5:54pm On Nov 24, 2014
valmunich:
Damn! Who taught you summary in high school angry

@topic

The accent faking is just much and it's more with radio presenters, I just feel like smacking them from the set each time undecided

some of them schooled abroad, eg if you check chazB's bio, he spent some time in england as a kid, and also schooled in the US.

you folks should stop being so judgemental and petty, its annoying.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by shedraq1: 5:03pm On Dec 27, 2014
[quote author=tpia6 post=28312247]

some of them schooled abroad, eg if you check chazB's bio, he spent some time in england as a kid, and also schooled in the US.

you folks should stop being so judgemental and petty, its annoying.[/quote

90% of radio broadcasters in naija were born,schooled,akamued,akaraed and gugurued in naija ....they are all using fake foreign accents even when they have never visited any airport in Nigeria not to talk of ever travelling to Ghana by arikair
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by tpia003: 7:32pm On Dec 27, 2014
Who cares?

Does it make me a sharer in the oil money and national cake?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 20, 2015
valmunich:
Damn! Who taught you summary in high school angry

@topic

The accent faking is just much and it's more with radio presenters, I just feel like smacking them from the set each time undecided

What about flight attendants? Eg Arik staff?
shocked angry shocked
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by tpiander: 3:44pm On Aug 20, 2015
who una wan kill now o.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by CortoMaltese(m): 10:21pm On Aug 20, 2015
Good evening to everybody ! Here it is 23:21

I only wish to express a feeling : "Too many Nigerians within and outside Nigeria are no more proud of their country !"

I lived for a short stay in Benin City in September 2009, it was obvious.

I also felt it in Dakar during a stay of approximately seven months from August 2009 to end February 2010. Despite there being a large Nigerian community locally it is as if they were ashamed of their country or at least do not say too high.

Now just for fun : "Here in Belgium at the Nigerian Embassy in Brussels when you talk to the officer behind the counter half the time he tells you how great is Nigeria !"

My courteous greetings to each and every one of you

CortoMaltese
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by bestads(m): 7:54am On Nov 25, 2015
CortoMaltese:
Good evening to everybody ! Here it is 23:21

I only wish to express a feeling : "Too many Nigerians within and outside Nigeria are no more proud of their country !"

I lived for a short stay in Benin City in September 2009, it was obvious.

I also felt it in Dakar during a stay of approximately seven months from August 2009 to end February 2010. Despite there being a large Nigerian community locally it is as if they were ashamed of their country or at least do not say too high.

Now just for fun : "Here in Belgium at the Nigerian Embassy in Brussels when you talk to the officer behind the counter half the time he tells you how great is Nigeria !"

My courteous greetings to each and every one of you

CortoMaltese

We will award you Msc and Phd in travelling
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by TeeElesh: 1:58pm On Nov 25, 2015
Reminded me of a girl that pronounced SILVER and SLIPPERS in American accent but what she actually said was SLIVER and SILPERS..i couldn't stop laughing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

3 Young Women Who Are Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Rivers State (Photos) / Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. / Lagos King, Oniba Of Iba, Brags With His Gold Chain, Dance Gbefun At Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.