Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,287 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! (1246 Views)

I Need Matured Advice, Am I Too Young Too Own A 7series??? / Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear / HELP! MY BMW 318i Needs An Overhaul. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by kamikazee0(m): 6:23am On Oct 30, 2014
Good morning guys,

I need HELP!!!

I have a 2003 e65 (N62) engine wonderful to drive. Here is the really annoying problem. I can't buy more than 20liters of gas in the tank, anything above that and the car will torture you to death, it is almost not driveable, it sputters, with light popping sounds from the engine bay and then won't move if you give it gas. Almost complete loss if power
If you are patient however and give it gas gently, it responds slowly and gradually and after a few seconds it goes mad with power and runs off having you grabbing the steering wheel.
I have had this issue for some time and it took a while to learn the trend. Now, i only buy 15-18ltrs of gas -everyday :-(.
The fuller the tank the more difficulty in driving it.
I had it scanned at a service center and i have to tell you this guys, even at an auto shop, ask for the scan results before they do anything on the car.
I changed fuel rail, injectors, plugs, fuel filter, put apart the top cylinder to thoroughly clean out the engine... results were all same.
I went back to the scan results and noticed a line item "tank vent valve stuck open" I believe this is the smoking gun but the mechs (3 different ones) don't agree with me.
Anyways. I want to change it, problem is I don't know where it is. Pictures I have seen online indicate it's in the engine bay area but the it's not there on mine. Other sources say it could be around the fuel tank....

Anyone know it's location and a reference to a mechanic I can use?
Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by tyoseni(m): 6:48am On Oct 30, 2014
What is the fault code P----?
Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:58am On Oct 30, 2014
Your problem is interesting, your tank vent valve stuck open means your engine will continuously suck fuel vapours out of the tank without control, I doubt this should cause the kind of problem you are having, I will suggest you scan when you fill up the car that way the errors will be related to the problem. Try this trick, fill up and do not tighten the gas cap completely then drive and see if you still have the problem.

Since the scan showed a faulty vent valve have it replaced. Follow all pipes that run from the tank to the engine intake you must find it.

Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by yungboss(m): 6:59am On Oct 30, 2014
kamikazee0:
Good morning guys,

I need HELP!!!

I have a 2003 e65 (N62) engine wonderful to drive. Here is the really annoying problem. I can't buy more than 20liters of gas in the tank, anything above that and the car will torture you to death, it is almost not driveable, it sputters, with light popping sounds from the engine bay and then won't move if you give it gas. Almost complete loss if power
If you are patient however and give it gas gently, it responds slowly and gradually and after a few seconds it goes mad with power and runs off having you grabbing the steering wheel.
I have had this issue for some time and it took a while to learn the trend. Now, i only buy 15-18ltrs of gas -everyday :-(.
The fuller the tank the more difficulty in driving it.
I had it scanned at a service center and i have to tell you this guys, even at an auto shop, ask for the scan results before they do anything on the car.
I changed fuel rail, injectors, plugs, fuel filter, put apart the top cylinder to thoroughly clean out the engine... results were all same.
I went back to the scan results and noticed a line item "tank vent valve stuck open" I believe this is the smoking gun but the mechs (3 different ones) don't agree with me.
Anyways. I want to change it, problem is I don't know where it is. Pictures I have seen online indicate it's in the engine bay area but the it's not there on mine. Other sources say it could be around the fuel tank....

Anyone know it's location and a reference to a mechanic I can use?
ask a mech...or find out where the carbon canister is, a little cylinder that absorbs vapor in the tank through fuel lines running from the tank to it, confirm whether it's blocked or not first. When you find it, when the car is sputtering/misfiring, disconnect it let's see whether it stops.
Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by yungboss(m): 7:03am On Oct 30, 2014
It may be in your engine bay or near the fuel tank, check the underside of the car, where the nuzzle feeds in...
but when the fuel is very low, do you experience the problem?
Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by kamikazee0(m): 7:17am On Oct 30, 2014
Thanks Guys, i am so happy seeing all these comments!

Okay
1. When i fill up the car, it doesn't drive well at all, almost no power and there is a serious hesitation when you give it gas
2. When the fuel level begins to drop, the hesitation improves
3. When it's around or below quarter tank, the hesitation is ever so slightly. You get the power delivered almost instantly, not perfect but... it's almost not noticeable
That's why i figured just keeping the fuel level around 20ltrs makes it bearable. There's been many times, i get stuck in terrible traffic and i'm scared i'm going to run out of gas. A few hairy moments but no disaster yet, hopefully, it'll never happen.

I have actually considered leaving the gas cap open, to gazzuzz's suggestion. I will try that and give feeedback.

The picture is correct! that's the dude except i can't find him anywhere in the engine bay area. i will try to take a picture later and share. I have been very disappointed lately with my mechanics, that's why i am also asking for new trusted contacts.

Thanks a lot guys
Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by kamikazee0(m): 7:19am On Oct 30, 2014
Uhm Yes, the code:
2772 DME, i think this is equivalent to P0444
Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by blazeup(m): 9:18am On Oct 30, 2014
Sorry Bro BMW and their wahala.. i have a feeling that there is a malfunctioning valve that regulates fuel supply from the tank to the injector.. How ever the fault is obviously a fuel supply issue.. visit german online bmw forums translate them to English you might find a solution. all the best... also check your fuel filters ..
Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by yungboss(m): 10:07am On Oct 30, 2014
Why the car hesitates is due to trapped vapor in the fuel tank, normally vapor is neutralized inside an activated charcoal cylinder somewhere in the engine or wherever it is located. When the tank has adequate fuel,in this case, it concentrates the vapor and consequently affects the fuel pump, that is why the car hesitates. It's not really a serious issue the solution has already been provided,it's up to him to fix it.
Re: I Need HELP With My BMW 7series!! by mayor2013: 10:20am On Oct 30, 2014
Uhmmm. Another charcoal canister issue. Am sure original poster fills up his tank always towards the point of allowing fuel gush out and probably leaves his car on when while buying fuel. Am very sure your canister box is bad. Although for a bmw it could be called something else. Now your bmw might not have exact same pics Gazzuz posted. The name of what Gazzuz posted is the purge control solenoid which regulates unsued fuel (gas) pushed sent from the canister box. Your canister box is the repository. I would just advice you to post fault codes that you had when you had the car scanned. When it comes to a canister box issue. Sure it is a big job to be done

(1) (Reply)

4wd System Of Modern Cars...do's And Dont's / I Need To Rent A Convertible For A Video Shoot In Lagos / A Luxury Mercedes Benz S550 Made From Thousands Of Mirrors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.