Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,387 members, 7,819,395 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. (27774 Views)

Know The Condition Of Every Organ In Ur Body / Oouth Development Project / Teens Accused Of Beating Disabled Woman : How Appalling! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by dominique(f): 7:30am On Nov 02, 2014
ipasco:
Ha! Ogbeni jeki ori e pe o, have you been to ondo state general hospital before? Ondostate general hospitals can compete favourably with any 3 star hospitals anywher within Nigeria, pls I will advice you to stop making such derogatory comparism.

Smh, what's derogatory about comparing a general hospital to a teaching hospital?
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 02, 2014
KingAdeOluomo1:
keep.it up i pity ur mumsi
In few words, explain what my mum has got to do with this thread?

2 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by nationwide1(m): 7:52am On Nov 02, 2014
easytask:

This is a State Owned Institution, what has Chukwu or Jonathan got to do with it.
I wonder bro. They find every available opportunity to castigate Jonathan even in a way that is devoid of common sense. If Jonathan steps in now to bring the change, they would say the APC states should get the glory. They keep on giving people good reasons to be scared of their party.

3 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by rigarmortis: 8:03am On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:
Never mention Wole Soyinka's son or the APC in the mess we find ourselves in. The crook called Onyebuchi Chukwu, and the crook CMD had the mandate to make the hospital world class, but instead of doing so, they stole the money! Oh i recall GEJ calls it "ordinary stealing". Just like the people of Bukina Faso burnt down their presidential villa so shall it be to Aso Rock, the Haramites and the Jonathanians, should they scuttle our bid to retake power! Do the right thing and vote them out. All the best to your mama!

-CramJones

You are a m oro n.
So a state teaching hospital in shambles is not the fault of that particular state government or health commissioner, the should all be blameless because they are APC?.....

You are a congenital imb3cyle. Reason before you post, better still use your drugs, one tab, 3 times daily, with meals, before you post.

3 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by adedayourt(m): 8:52am On Nov 02, 2014
joedejana:
JUST COME TO CHINA undecided

For wher dem dey enta bus abeg

2 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 02, 2014
That hospital is a state teaching hospital and in the hands of APC. We don't know who to trust. I think we should encourage individual candidacy and vote out both idiots.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by adonbilivit: 8:58am On Nov 02, 2014
olayoungz:

True talk and I'm not disputing your fact. I'm a Zaria born and brought up. But have you been UDUTH? I mean Usman DanFodio University Teaching Hospital?. You are gonna be wowed. To say the fact, most public hospital in the West and south West are not that standard. I'm from the west too and when you know the fact, you say it.
true...
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by rigarmortis: 9:07am On Nov 02, 2014
popcykaylah:
imagine that.. and we get minister for health ..later some mofos go say gej till year 3000..people keep dying from bomb blast, sickness, accidents and most of all poverty. and our Mr president can only think about campaign and blocking the whole vi and ikoyi.I only pity our kids
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by biafranqueen: 9:18am On Nov 02, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Oi, what did you expect?

You see, our hospitals are in a bad state because the amount of money spent on them is not enough.

And before you call for increased spending....keep in mind that what the hospital in the UK spends per annum would be about what six, maybe ten (my estimate) teaching hosptals share in Nigeria.

You see, in Nigeria, we have subsidsed health care. This means the govt pays hospitals a fee in return for keeping costs low. The problem is, this limits the amount of money a hospital can raise. Add the fact that if fees go up...there will be rebellion on the streets....and you have the mess we have.

There is also the problem of poor light and water supply, as well as the fact that our hospital facilities are overstretched by the Grand Nigerian Tradition of the family moving into the hospital when someone falls ill. Toilet facilities meant for ten suddenly end up being used by eighty.

There is a solution....and the immediate solution means turning that hospital into a public private entity. And spending more on primary and secondary health care...because 90% of cases seen in outpatients in a teaching hospital could have been taken care of in a PHC.

We may have to increase taxes. And remove fuel subsidy. Because it does not make sense wasting money subsidizing a product of which 40% is imported....the subsidy cash can go into funding hospitals.

Of course...we have to improve power supply. And long term we have to become industrial.....so that our GDP and by extension our treasury would grow.,....and we would have enough cash to fund hospitals galore.

You see....Nigeria does not have enough money because we are a Dutch diseased society. Until we make some hard choices....poor health care is going to be the price we pay for ''cheap''.
Great points we need people like you to run for office. People with solutions not promises and insults. What makes the Western World work as far as infrastructure is they pay state tax and federal tax, air tax waste tax etc; Gas is $2.49 a gallon because 30% is taxes they pay to the government so the Corporations make the citizen pay at the pump. The same goes for your light bill it has taxes included in the bill. We also have to think outside the box and utilize Solar Power Plants or Wind in the North. We can sell energy to other counties we have the land mass to do it.

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Kcinho(m): 9:19am On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:
Never mention Wole Soyinka's son or the APC in the mess we find ourselves in. The crook called Onyebuchi Chukwu, and the crook CMD had the mandate to make the hospital world class, but instead of doing so, they stole the money! Oh i recall GEJ calls it "ordinary stealing". Just like the people of Bukina Faso burnt down their presidential villa so shall it be to Aso Rock, the Haramites and the Jonathanians, should they scuttle our bid to retake power! Do the right thing and vote them out. All the best to your mama!

-CramJones
The state government has failed on this one. You just have to admit it and forget party politics. He probably has failed in the health sector since the tertiary institution in the state is in a very bad condition. This has nothing to do with Chukwu because their is a commissioner of health in the state and a Governor that receives his allocations regularly. Compare that with what his neighbour fashola is doing or do you want to give that credit to Chukwu.

3 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Alenkakent(m): 9:33am On Nov 02, 2014
[quote author=temitemi1 post=27649129][/quote]

And u must be really stewpeed for quoting my rubbish... Brainless edeeeoooooot
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Alenkakent(m): 9:34am On Nov 02, 2014
[quote author=temitemi1 post=27649129][/quote]

And u must be really stewpeed for quoting my rubbish... Brainless edeeeoooooot
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Saheed9: 9:45am On Nov 02, 2014
philtrum:
TOKUGAWA, well I feel your pain,I understand every thing you put up there but some of them are rather "exaggerated"
1.) stinking and extremely dirty:- patients sometimes contribute to tat....what they eat, their drugs or some of them with body odour.... Their relatives also litter the whole place....
2.) Nurses are mean and unfriendly:- abeg tell me a place in Nigeria whr nurses are different.....They are not mean and unfriendly....they are strict and you Dont expect them to cry with you (most patients want this)..They can only sympathize for a little time...dats all
3.) About the power.There are big Generators in fact more than two.. It could be faulty tho(I'm very sure they are serviced as often as possible, since power is not stable and the government won't take responsibility fix things ...and those small ones are just for backup....)

4) You complained about paying for every thing(the main cause is because of (1)
5) If you don't know patients abscond without paying bills.....parents leave their kids in the wards and do not return....

6) Queuing up to 6 hours : OOUTH is a small place compared to UCH and others and patient number is relatively high so Doctors only attend those they can attend to....
7) Please which of the roofs are falling ....?? pictureOrAdontbliv....or give me the name of the ward I'll go see it for myself

One last thing Most facilities are not available because the government isn't doing anything about it....
you need to check the corridor roof of the female surgical and c for ursef how dilapidated the structure is.Another important issue nt mentioned is the issue of water, its seems to b a very commodity in oouth whn there's no light, this i think is logical tho.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by philtrum(m): 10:09am On Nov 02, 2014
Saheed9:
you need to check the corridor roof of the female surgical and c for ursef how dilapidated the structure is.Another important issue nt mentioned is the issue of water, its seems to b a very commodity in oouth whn there's no light, this i think is logical tho.

I'll check...water issue too is there......that's true.....but you see the management is really trying to fix things if government won't.....Like Radiology dept has been privatized (I heard, I'm not sure) and if it is true then its bad really cause there is no difference in the whole operation..(The other time I was there, they didnt have fuel in the generator)
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by JuanDeDios: 10:11am On Nov 02, 2014
Dreambeat:
@Op,I wish your mum soonest recovery.On a different note,what you saw was not peculiar to the hospital you mentioned but cuts across all the tertiary health institutions across the nation.This is what the NMA has been fighting to stem,the sorry state of our health institutions.Alas doctors were called different derogatory names.The citizens of this country have to stand up and do something fast otherwise things will get worse.
This may be misleading. While public hospitals are generally not in good shape, this one takes the cup. I was at LASUTH (aka Ikeja General Hospital) last week for voluntary HIV testing. I spent exactly forty minutes in the premises before leaving with my result. Granted, the VCT is paid for by the US government, but most of the facilities used belong to LASUTH. When I went there for my eye there was a lot of time wasting but all these I hear about paying to sh#t, paying to fuel generator, falling roofs and weed overgrowing sitting areas are entirely new. Ogun State should sit up.

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by IYANGBALI: 10:26am On Nov 02, 2014
TOKUGAWA:
To poo u have to cough-out 50 Naira while to bathe is 100 Naira.
dat na expensive shiiiit grin
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Gentiejag(f): 10:51am On Nov 02, 2014
I was at this same hospital two weeks ago to get a certificate of fitness.

They are so rude, totally unfriendly and highly insultive, I simply asked a nurse where I could see a doctor to begin the process, she said she had no idea (although I later discovered she was a student nurse from Babcock University). I walked up to an elderly nurse who I knew would have stayed long in the system and probably at that particular hospital and she was so nasty that I had to keep telling myself to calm down and not give her a rude piece of my mind.

The buildings are nothing to talk about, nobody should give me any bullshit about nurses being professional hence their mean ways, these people pour their frustrations with the government on ailing victims who they know are at their mercy and are there no cleaners in that hospital? Even if patients and their relatives are constituting dirts, it is their job to clean, that is what they are paid for. If the management of that hospital gets to know that there would be a visit of a top government official, you would be surprised at the change that would occur in that premises.

The government have their role to play at that hospital and so does the management and already employed staff.

The doctor I met (this was someone I saw by the roadside while I was angrily walking out of the premises)specifically told me that I would not be able to get a certificate of fitness that I urgently needed that week! I was there on a Monday Morning.

They need some restructuring Asap abeg.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Dreambeat: 11:06am On Nov 02, 2014
drealdoc89:

Its fallacy to categorically say that what the OP talked about cuts across all tertiary health institutions. My question to you is, how many have you being to?
All tertiary health institutions may not be as bad as the op painted but I am sure you got my drift.They are ALL far below standard.Some of us who work in the hospital environment know that citizens of this country deserve better than what we have got at the moment.The public hospitals are in shambles.

2 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by zurine(f): 11:46am On Nov 02, 2014
chai
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by amokemi(m): 11:51am On Nov 02, 2014
Thirteen years ago, this teaching hospital was the best teaching hospital in Nigeria according to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria. Whatever happened to that institution is really bad.

The govt of Ogun state should please be alive to its responsibilities to that institution.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Rock212(m): 12:21pm On Nov 02, 2014
It is appalling that a health institution of this nature should be in this condition. It is equally unfortunate how we tend to politicise everything. Some ppl have been pouring insults on the Minister for health and Mr President without first ascertaining if the said facility is a federal one. It is glaring and lucid that the health facility in question is a state owned one as such the following questions beg for answers. Who are those directly responsible for the maintenance of this facility? Why is the allocation meant for this facility not being put to use? These are some of the questions ppl of Ogun state should be asking. They also have a house of Assembly that can check the lapses of the executive agency responsible for that health facility.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:

-CramJones

Your case is pathetic. You are an irredemable hypocrite. So when your 'saintly' APC led government falls below standard, you still go ahead and blame GEJ? Did the FG establish OOUTH, and does the same FG run it? Go through the federal owned teaching hospitals and see if any is half as terrible as what the Op decribed. I was trained in UBTH and worked in FMC Asaba. There is just no iota of similarity with what the OP reported. Instead of you mourning and declaring a one week fasting for repentance of your APC leaders, you are here blaming GEJ.
BIG SHAME ON YOU!
BIG SHAME ON YOU!!
I SPIT ON YOUR ROTTEN AND STINKING HYPOCRITICAL LIFESTYLE!!!

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by helen4(f): 2:42pm On Nov 02, 2014
Saheed09. Am sure u're one of them, cos if not u won't see the truth and shy away from it. Nurses that curses the patients are being strict u say. Nurses telling patients that awon ko ni awon koba e are strict u say, even the cleaners too are being strict shey? My cousin spent 3months there( male surgical ward) after an accident, it was one of the patient that brought generator and the rest of them were always contributing money to buy fuel, my colleagues baby was in neo-natal for almost 2weeks cos of jaundice, there was no power for the babies. My colleague went to carry her generator while others contributed for fuel, even if the hands of the nurses and doctors are tied, what about things that has to do with them like their attitude to patients, is it government that will provide that too. 90% of the doctors there have a clinic somewhere, telling patients that if it were to be my clinic i will personally monitor you. So i think even if government should put somethings in place, there are people that will not make it work. How will they get patients if the teaching hospital is of a good standard?.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Tinyemeka(m): 4:44pm On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:

-CramJones

This man. You really should learn fast to adopt the level of maturity that comes with your age.

How is Jonathan or the erstwhile health minister personally responsible for the day-to-day running of activities in the hospital? What makes that hospital different from FMC Umuahia or LUTH or the other hospital mentioned by an earlier poster in the North?

It's this puerile habit of always running to prematurely lay blames at the doorstep of the presidency, that keeps your reasoning down at childish levels. The OP has said that due to his complaints, they have now cut the grass which had overgrown the visitors resting area. Do you now see the small albeit positive step? Instead of blaming Jonathan for the overgrown weeds.

Learn to think before you speak.

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by philtrum(m): 9:59pm On Nov 02, 2014
rigarmortis:

You are a m oro n.
So a state teaching hospital in shambles is not the fault of that particular state government or health commissioner, the should all be blameless because they are APC?.....

You are a congenital imb3cyle. Reason before you post, better still use your drugs, one tab, 3 times daily, with meals, before you post.

He took overdose what he is expressing now is the side Effect
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 02, 2014
Sagamu is about 45 mins drive from ikorodu. Anybody who want to verify op claims should go there and check things up. The picture posted, is around the abandoned o&g ward. I guess op just took the pic that concerned him most. Well the present cmd just got there ,and he has been doing alot too, like renovation of medical wards, and we just hope Ogun state will arise to the need of this hospital. No doubt àbt it Amosun is trying in the state but Health is wealth.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Mustay(m): 10:40am On Nov 03, 2014
I think some of y'all should take it easy on the OP; he's not a reporter or a journalist. Who knows, as at the time of visit, capturing buildings etc was the least on his mind. Whilst I agree that visuals help, before the advent of social media etc, didn't people still write letters of complaints Even today, some still use phone-in programmes to lodge their complaints. The most important thing is for the story to be true, verifiable and get to the authorities concerned. Now that the OP has related his experience, it's up to concerned civil societies and media outfits (who look for stories to report) to report the situation as professionals.

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by TOKUGAWA(m): 10:45am On Nov 03, 2014
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by TOKUGAWA(m): 11:04am On Nov 03, 2014
The Good thing about the hospital is that the Doctors are one of the bests in Nigeria.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by TOKUGAWA(m): 11:17am On Nov 03, 2014
More pic
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 12:56pm On Nov 03, 2014
gboss4sure:

In few words, explain what my mum has got to do with this thread?
QUESTION FOR THE gods

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Of These Have You Used To Clean Your Ear? / ‘Pregnant’ 2-year-old Boy Has Parasitic Twin Removed From His Stomach / Woman Collapses, Dies In Mile 2, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.