Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam (2591 Views)

Over $12.5bn Oil Money Stolen Under Jonathan – Sanusi / EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam / Nigeria Probes Possible Fraud Over $12.6 Billion Subsidies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 2:12pm On Oct 31, 2014
Find the EFCC press statement below...
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Thursday, October 30, 2014 arraigned an undergraduate of the University of Benin, Kenneth Rukewe Ebule before Justice E. F Ikponmwen of an Edo State High Court, sitting in Benin- City on a 6- count charge bordering on forgery, obtaining money by false pretence and possession of fraudulent documents.The accused person allegedly duped Sabine Albert, a German, of the sum of $12, 088, 75 through fraudulent claims.
Rukewe, 30, a final year student of Computer and Statistics at the University of Benin, was arrested by officials of a new generation bank on May 28, 2014 in Benin City and handed over to the EFCC for further investigation.

Troubles started for him when Albert alleged that within two months after he had internet contact with him, Rukewe fraudulently obtained the sum of $12,088,75 (Twelve Thousand Eighty Eight Dollars and Seventy Five Cents) from him.

Rukewe allegedly posed to Albert as an English businessman on transit in Nigeria. He gave his name as Bob Albert and told his victim that he had a contract with a Nigerian company worth €1.200, 000.00 and that he needed a loan to facilitate a transaction with the company. He promised to pay back the loan and even doubled it because he was sure of pulling through the transactions. He also told Albert that he had complications and suffered a robbery attack.

Rukewe also falsely told Albert that, a levy of of N1,975,861 (One Million, Nine Hundred and Seventy Five Thousand, Eight Hundred and Sixty One Naira only) was imposed on him by the Federal Inland Revenue Service for the release of his International Passport, and a cheque worth 1, 200,000 Euros. He also pleaded for a flight ticket to London.

Based on all these, Albert offered to loan him the money by sending it through Western Union, only to discover that he had been scammed.

Investigation also revealed that the suspect had defrauded other German nationals to the tune of $110,975.00USD (One Hundred and Ten thousand, Nine Hundred and Seventy Five United States Dollars) between May 2013 and January 2014.

When the charges were read to the defendant, he pleaded not guilty.

One of the charges read in part:
“Ebule Kenneth Rukewe (a.k.a. Bob Albert), on or about the 17th day of July, 2013 within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, with Intent to defraud, obtained the sum of $12,088,75 (Twelve Thousand Eighty Eight Dollars and Seventy Five Cents) from Sabine Albert (a German National), under the false pretence that the money represented part payment of N1,975,861 (One Million Nine Hundred and Seventy Kobo) levy imposed one Bobby Albert (a British citizen) by Federal Inland Revenue Service for the release of the International Passport, Cheque worth 1,200,000 Euros and flight ticket to London of the said Bobby Albert, which representation you knew to be false”.

In view of the plea of the defendant, prosecution counsel, Kayode Oni asked for a trial date and prayed the court to remand the defendant in prison custody. The defence counsel, Maureen Morka informed the court of her application for bail dated September 9, 2014 and prayed the court to grant the defendant bail.

Justice Ikponmwen granted the defendant bail in the sum of One Million Naira and two sureties in like sum. The sureties must be resident in Benin City and must be gainfully employed in Edo State. The defendant must also produce his student identity card.

Justice Ikponmwen subsequently adjourned the case to November 21, 2014 for hearing and ordered that the defendant be remanded in prison custody pending the perfection of his bail.

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 31, 2014
If true, these are some of the people spoiling the name of Nigeria for genuine freelancers and online business men to getting the trust of foreigners. It's not fair at all since many foreigners now see most Nigerians as fraudsters.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 31, 2014
Good for him bt efcc should work harder, this guy's just one out of thousands.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by tsolz300: 2:40pm On Oct 31, 2014
Lol
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 31, 2014
Na only small small thief dem sabi catch.Those ones wey dey use biro steal billions them no reach their place.
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 31, 2014
Why dont these boys channel their genius minds into positive enterprises ?

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Lilimax(f): 2:50pm On Oct 31, 2014
It takes a person with dubious mind or intention to be scammed by scammers undecided
Why would you want to reap where you did not sow?

However, that Uniben student must be dealt with very well cos he has succeeded in bringing
shame and disgrace to his family and school sad
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Freest(m): 3:12pm On Oct 31, 2014
Kill them all...
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by otimize(m): 3:37pm On Oct 31, 2014
na ur papa money e collect ni? he knows fully well that wen he graduates there is no job waiting for him... u guys av not seen anytin yet! Wen stella ans saTANs they steal money, una no kill them o. Nigeria, useless people, foolish nation!!!!

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 3:37pm On Oct 31, 2014
The money plenty nah
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 01, 2014
Billyonaire:
Why dont these boys channel their genius minds into positive enterprises ?

with what capital please. ...

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 9:54am On Nov 01, 2014
greg420:

Most service industry expertise doesnt need financial capital but skill set. There is no excuse.
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 01, 2014
Billyonaire:
Most service industry expertise doesnt need financial capital but skill set. There is no excuse.

site examples please

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 01, 2014
Billyonaire:

please site examples and examples that one can make a good profit monthly.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 10:08am On Nov 01, 2014
greg420:

please site examples and examples that one can make a good profit monthly.

Cleaning contractor and consultant; The guy cleaning my properties before they go on sale, had just his brains, and I gave him the contract to clean the first duplex. With mobilization, he recruited 4 boys and 3 girls without upfront pay and got the tools. Now he cleans for many developers. Think, young man, think!

Drivers: The basic qualification to be a professional driver is just the ability to drive, most bosses can give you money for license from your first pay. Think, young man, think!
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 01, 2014
Billyonaire:

Cleaning contractor and consultant; The guy cleaning my properties before they go on sale, had just his brains, and I gave him the contract to clean the first duplex. With mobilization, he recruited 4 boys and 3 girls without upfront pay and got the tools. Now he cleans for many developers. Think, young man, think!

Drivers: The basic qualification to be a professional driver is just the ability to drive, most bosses can give you money for license from your first pay. Think, young man, think!

forgetting that location matters.what you wrote up there is not feasible everywhere.
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 01, 2014
Billyonaire:

forgetting that location matters.what you wrote up there is not feasible everywhere.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 01, 2014
greg420:

Changing location is free enterprise. There is no excuse that can stop a determined man.
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 01, 2014
Billyonaire:
Changing location is free enterprise. There is no excuse that can stop a determined man.

changing location requires funds too.....which leads us back to where we started this discussion from. Lol
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 01, 2014
greg420:

changing location requires funds too.....which leads us back to where we started this discussion from. Lol
Changing location requires determination and a very special old pal (VSOP).
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 01, 2014
Billyonaire:
Changing location requires determination and a very special old pal (VSOP).

Expansiate please. ....
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
greg420:

In as much as its a tough situation out there for majority of graduates , it is not enough reason for you to indulge in these acts . you may be having it nice doing it but inwards it leaves you with guilt you live with for the rest of your life .
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by SLIDEwaxie(m): 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2014
Hit, run, hide, invest...that was the rule, that is still the rule..

I wonder how these niggas forgot these...

Billionaire, stop telling us ur dreams

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
In as much as its a tough situation out there for majority of graduates , it is not enough reason for you to indulge in these acts . you may be having it nice doing it but inwards it leaves you with guilt you live with for the rest of your life .

For the records am not into such but for a fact everyone in Nigeria is a thief just very very few honest ones
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 01, 2014
SLIDEwaxie:

Dreams.....Ur right my broda
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 01, 2014
greg420:

For the records am not into such but for a fact everyone in Nigeria is a thief just very very few honest ones
and the fact that theft is an issue with majority does not mean we have to support it . what is wrong is wrong . the fact that there are executive thieves does not mean a thief caught on the road should not be dealt with . we should find a way of dealing with the executive thieves just as we found ways to deal with the commoner thief on the road .
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 01, 2014
SLIDEwaxie:

how easy is it to invest with a capital you never worked for ?
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
and the fact that theft is an issue with majority does not mean we have to support it . what is wrong is wrong . the fact that there are executive thieves does not mean a thief caught on the road should not be dealt with . we should find a way of dealing with the executive thieves just as we found ways to deal with the commoner thief on the road .

I hear hear u Mr right....have u found the way?
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
how easy is it to invest with a capital you never worked for ?

Even the one I worked for and invested in the capital market some years ago I have not seen the share certificates till date.
I also decided to try again last year with cash craft assets management I don't know if they area defunct now even.
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 01, 2014
.....and that's cause I was putting a percentage of my salary into the capital market.
If I were into fraud and hama 5 million I can buy genuine lands I could even build rooms in my village and rent out that is a not so bad investment
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
greg420:

I hear hear u Mr right....have u found the way?
yes , I have .... Just some more resouces . if the properties and families of corrupt government officials are being bombed . if it can be done to say obvious 10 of them . it wouldnt take a minute before some will resign . my anger with boko haram is they are not dealing with those they ought to deal with ... lols . dont you think so.
Re: EFCC Arraigns UNIBEN Undergraduate Over $12,000 Internet Scam by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2014
greg420:
.....and that's cause I was putting a percentage of my salary into the capital market.
If I were into fraud and hama 5 million I can buy genuine lands I could even build rooms in my village and rent out that is a not so bad investment
you will be causing an innocent man pain ... if you fraud a corupt govt official I dont see anything bad in that . I understand what you trying to say ..... will you not kill a thief if you have your way after he carted away with your money and properties?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Femi Gbajabiamila Is The Next Speaker House Of Representatives / President Olusegun Obasanjo Appointed Chairman Of World Ex-presidents / PDP Might Have No Legs To Stand On Once Corruption Trial Begins – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.