Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,884 members, 7,813,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? (1926 Views)

Did Anyone Ever Escape From Alcatraz? / Is There A Specific Time To Start The Sex-talk With Children?you Should See This / I Want To Talk With Grafikdon Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Timmytimmy: 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2014
So, I read the story of a sex addict and saw the way he was totally destroyed by what should have been a blessing to him.The "sex" topic is perhaps one of the most important things that children need to understand as they grow up. It is however rather unfortunate that most of us never had the privilege of receiving a direct sexual education talk from either a parent or an older person. I for one remember that the first time I noticed sex was in an American movie.

Ranging from advertisements, to sit coms to sports, we see elements of sex been subtly introduced to young minds as they watch TV. What they should have learnt from good sources were learnt from perverse sources(programmes not for their age groups).

From an early age, we are thought to think about sex as an issue that must not be discussed, a dirty thing, an unclean thing.Some girls are even told that touching a boy once you start menstruating results in a pregnancy.I can't help but imagine how many babies that would have been saved from abortion.

As a person, where did you first learn about sex?do you wish you had learnt about sex from your parents or another good source? Don't you think Africa is full of hypocrites? Do you get embarrassed when your children talk about sex? At what age is it right to start educating a child about sex?
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 31, 2014
Timmytimmy:
So, I read the story of a sex addict and saw the way he was totally destroyed by what should have been a blessing to him.The "sex" topic is perhaps one of the most important things that children need to understand as they grow up. It is however rather unfortunate that most of us never had the privilege of receiving a direct sexual education talk from either a parent or an older person. I for one remember that the first time I noticed sex was in an American movie.

Ranging from advertisements, to sit coms to sports, we see elements of sex been subtly introduced to young minds as they watch TV. What they should have learnt from good sources were learnt from perverse sources(programmes not for their age groups).

From an early age, we are thought to think about sex as an issue that must not be discussed, a dirty thing, an unclean thing.Some girls are even told that touching a boy once you start menstruating results in a pregnancy.I can't help but imagine how many babies that would have been saved from abortion.

As a person, where did you first learn about sex?do you wish you had learnt about sex from your parents or another good source? Don't you think Africa is full of hypocrites? Do you get embarrassed when your children talk about sex? At what age is it right to start educating a child about sex?

i think the best age should be as early as 7 yrs old.... And yes, i first learnt abt sex frm the media...
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Infomizer(m): 9:01pm On Oct 31, 2014
I probably learnt from the media too. My parents never had it with me o...Even after mumsi walked in on me straffing (was 15), she still didn't have the talk. Many parents I knew growing up abhorred it and lived in denial but it's hypocritical to me. Methinks the earlier my kids understand sex and priorities, the better. As a prospective dad, as soon as I detect a tad of awareness, I dole out the talk pronto. Embarrassed kwa? Won't even wait for their mom if she no take time. No time to check time!
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 31, 2014
My mum was quite open about sex
She taught me about periods and stuffs when I was about 6
On my 7th birthday, she talked to me about sex, the risks and responsibilities that comes with it
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Timmytimmy: 9:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
Infomizer:
I probably learnt from the media too. My parents never had it with me o...Even after mumsi walked in on me straffing (was 15), she still didn't have the talk. Many parents I knew growing up abhorred it and lived in denial but it's hypocritical to me. Methinks the earlier my kids understand sex and priorities, the better. As a prospective dad, as soon as I detect a tad of awareness, I dole out the talk pronto. Embarrassed kwa? Won't even wait for their mom if she no take time. No time to check time!

Lmao, she actually caught you pants down. grin
I can only imagine.
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Timmytimmy: 9:25pm On Oct 31, 2014
Mizchief:
My mum was quite open about sex
She taught me about periods and stuffs when I was about 6
On my 7th birthday, she talked to me about sex, the risks and responsibilities that comes with it

Did she tell you about how the main act is carried out?
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Infomizer(m): 9:29pm On Oct 31, 2014
Timmytimmy:

Lmao, she actually caught you pants down. grin
I can only imagine.

Hahaha...
More like pants off!

1 Like

Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 31, 2014
Timmytimmy:

Did she tell you about how the main act is carried out?
I was just 7 so she taught me the basics
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Timmytimmy: 9:46pm On Oct 31, 2014
Mizchief:

I was just 7 so she taught me the basics

Sorry O,
what are the basics embarassed
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by babysmart(f): 11:27pm On Oct 31, 2014
I cant really say where or when bt as I was growing up certain things jst bcame clear to me nd I think books played a major role.
Yea, I think dat particularly in Nigeria, parents deliberately shy away frm d responsibility of givin deir children sex edu.
I think once a child is old enough to understand, u shuld start educatin d child
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Timmytimmy: 9:20am On Nov 01, 2014
babysmart:
I cant really say where or when bt as I was growing up certain things jst bcame clear to me nd I think books played a major role.
Yea, I think dat particularly in Nigeria, parents deliberately shy away frm d responsibility of givin deir children sex edu.
I think once a child is old enough to understand, u shuld start educatin d child

"Things just became clear?".......hmmm grin
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by dejii01(m): 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2014
Well, I can't really say either. Just no thanks to the book Everywoman, very educative. cheesy
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Timmytimmy: 5:49pm On Nov 01, 2014
dejii01:
Well, I can't really say either. Just no thanks to the book Everywoman, very educative. cheesy

Deji......irav tey dat u hav spoil! ! grin
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Babafaros(m): 5:58pm On Nov 01, 2014
I knew abt sex 4rm my Classmates &they are always encouraging me to try it back then while i was in SS1.My parents never mentioned anytin like dat.
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Timmytimmy: 6:08pm On Nov 01, 2014
Babafaros:
I knew abt sex 4rm my Classmates &they are always encouraging me to try it bacl then while i was in SS1.My parents never mentioned anytin like dat.

so, did you ? cheesy
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by dejii01(m): 6:23pm On Nov 01, 2014
Timmytimmy:

Deji......irav tey dat u hav spoil! ! grin

I'm not spoiled you know. grin grin Only well-educated/informed. cheesy
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Babafaros(m): 6:26pm On Nov 01, 2014
Timmytimmy:

so, did you ? cheesy
Hmmmmmm,##MOUTH SEALED##
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 01, 2014
Timmytimmy:

Sorry O,
what are the basics embarassed
She was like 'God made sex to be for marriage only, it's only in marriage you get to enjoy fully the blessing of sex (I still don't know what the blessing is, kids or what?). When you have sex, you get pregnant, once you get pregnant, daddy won't send you to the university and if you don't go to the university, you'll end up like that girl that hawks pepper (the girl got pregnant and was sent out of the house, she moved in with the guy who impregnated her and sold pepper so she'd be able to feed)
Don't follow a boy to his house, if you must go to a boy's house, don't go alone
Good girls don't have sex till they are married

She didn't talk to me about condoms and contraceptives until I gained admission into the university
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by wandeogun: 9:10pm On Nov 01, 2014
Babafaros:

Hmmmmmm,##MOUTH SEALED##
.What are you covering up Babafaros, did you or not?
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by Babafaros(m): 9:35pm On Nov 01, 2014
wandeogun:
.What are you covering up Babafaros, did you or not?
LOL
Re: Did Anyone Ever Have "The Talk" With You? by babysmart(f): 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
Timmytimmy:

"Things just became clear?".......hmmm grin
Lol...yea
Hmmmn I think I need to add dat everywoman to my list of wanted books

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage / See What A Woman Did To Her Husband's Mistress (photo) / His Wife Is Selfishly Asking For Joint Bank Account.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.