Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,392 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:30 AM

Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? (2090 Views)

Buhari Will Be Ready To Serve Nigeria In 2019 / Fraud Alert!!! Don't Pay To Anybody Having This Document / Nollywood Actor Prince Eke's Letter 2 GMB:Must You Serve Nigeria As A President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 25, 2005
It is becoming clear to me why this country is where it is today...and why this will continue to get worse and not any better.

I'll start by narrating my ordeal. It all started when I was going for my youth service in 2004. I was full of determination and a zeal to serve Nigeria. I made up my mind to come back with awards...my resolve was unshakable!!

I learnt early as a young lad that if u want to make it, first u must find a problem, solve the problem then sell the solution. And so I came up with a solution...an award winning solution so 2 say but got nothing for the effort!! NOthing at all.no award...no nothing. I remember working day and night and sometimes I would work and even forget to eat!!

For some personal reasons I don't want to go into the nitty gritty of the whole experience. After that experience, I vowed never to waste my energy for this nation again.

Does anyone have a similar experience?? Does it really pay to serve Nigeria
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by Seun(m): 7:58pm On Sep 25, 2005
Can you tell us what problem you solved? I am sure that Nairaland can find buyers for you.

In my opinion, the best way to serve Nigeria is to get rich early and then use your wealth to impact others. This is what the world's richest people are doing - first, they get rich by creating solutions that people are willing to pay for, then they start non-profits to tackle chronic societal problems like poverty, HIV, malaria. First, you make money, then you spend it!

If you have a solution that is valuable to people, and market is properly they will pay for it. Tell us more!
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by exu(m): 8:40pm On Sep 25, 2005
Instead of completely abandoning your homeland wouldn't it be better if you found people who have similar views to you and then sought to change things, on a local level or using the available channels...

If everyone did this then the country would be in far better shape...I realise that politics can be messy in Nigeria but the only way forward is for people to be bold(er).
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by salako: 10:52pm On Sep 25, 2005
SORRY but that is complete bullshit! you are a hypocrite.

The ultimate point of YOU solving a problem was to sell the solution. that is your prize. not the prosperity of Nigeria.

It seems clear to me that YOU DID NOT SELL YOUR SOLUTION. or perhaps you didn't sell it for much. (thats your failure)

Now you resent Nigeria for benefiting at your expense.

If you love your country you should be pleased that you were privileged enough to do something positive for it. instead of complaining that you didn't get accolades for it!

peace and luv to all!

1 Like

Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by omon(m): 11:21pm On Sep 25, 2005
Well said...the best way to serve your country is to do your work the best way you can, not because you are looking for any reward, but that it is going to impact positively on the society. Don't forget that there are many like you all over the country in theior service years and in due time, what you have sown will come back to you. It is a law laid down by God and will only come at the right time.

I guess it is people like you that does not make Nigeria grow appropriately by developing attitudinal problems. The nest thing we will hear is that you want to jet out of the country as if other countries don't have their wahala. You need a change of attitude my guy..do not treat your mother land with disdain. If Mandela fought for freedom because he wanted some 'medals' for freedom, I am sure he would not have gone this far!
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by obong(m): 11:56pm On Sep 25, 2005
selling your solutions is the best way to help nigeria. In my opinion, business people, not NGO's are the ones that really help build a nation. Bill gates has done more with microsoft than his not for profits will do.

the best thing to do is try to get rich with your solution an hire plenty of nigerians
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by angelak(f): 3:00pm On Sep 26, 2005
when you serve your father in heaven, are you not highly rewarded? Even when we serve are parents , we are awarded?

So what are youy guys telling sopescott? Why should he not expect a reward? I am sure he was to get a reward but some greedy person diverted it.

Nigeria is a country whereby you can't map out a plan for yourself! you do what should be done to get an expected result, yet it turns out sour because our leaders have messed everything up for us!
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 26, 2005
Hypocrite?
Very funny...
If there was no form of reward in football for example, like a cup, medal or whatever; would it be fun; would there be any point watching. Fellas, what drives people to great things is the reward. The reward need not be money...its could also be fulfillment. In other words there's always something making people do things.

NYSC promised to REWARD outstanding corp members during that program. That's why there's a National award, State award, State Coordinator's commendation etc. All these were put in place so that corpers can be at their best during the service year.

My grouse is that the people who really deserved to be rewarded were not...why? Cos the whole thing has been politicized! The awardees sorry 2 say somehow managed to influence nysc officials to nominate them for the awards.

I worked hard as a corper...and very hard at that and I presented a concept that should have earned me an award. I'm a very focus person; once my mind is set on anything, I go for it with all I got.

However, my effort was not appreciated. So tell me why I should be enthusiastic to do something worthwhile for the country again.
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 26, 2005
hey, sorry that u felt let down by the NYSC system, but life has never been easy man. keep your head up. don't give up on Naija, there'll be better days.

and if i may ask, what the hell was your award winning solution ?! tell us so that we'll know where we should stand on this situation.
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by kazey(m): 5:03am On Sep 27, 2005
lolz hmmm.................... Nigeria our Nigeria, I think if NYSC doesnt appreciate it, you should turn it around for your own benefit. I am not a fan of the word "appreciation" especially when it comes to parastatals, organisation or even from the so called people besides the governance of MY HOME COUNTRY, our greatest Nigeria. The thing about this is quiet simple. If they don't get anything from your stuff, especially monetary gains, if it might be applied, they don't appreciate it nor even go to the extent to acknowledge it, and the same goes for your current burst, you want something from them, that is the award to acknowledge your effort, but unfortunately you werent given.

I think you should look somewhere else. But don't make a decision that would affect the 120 million plus population, because someone somewhere refused to appreciate your work. Its that someone somewhere, that deserves the punishment. thats all i got to say. amigos.
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by angelak(f): 4:30pm On Sep 27, 2005
I agree with Trae-z tell us this award winning solution? Please we care and need to know? cry Don't turn your back on us like NYSC did to you rolleyes? Please please please tell us? undecided
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by Seun(m): 4:47pm On Oct 01, 2005
He says he doesn't want our help or advice - he just wants us to join him in talking bad about Nigeria. angry
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by Oracle(m): 5:59am On Oct 28, 2005
itz not like i wanna join any body in talking bad bout nigeria
but men Nigeria is f@"!**ked up
it doesnt pay to serve this country.
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by trendy(f): 12:44pm On Mar 01, 2007
NO WAY, it does not pay
it is not even worth it
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by betantee(m): 9:55am On Mar 04, 2007
Oh sorry young man ,its a pity u wan solve problem or is it find a solution for naija problem?Make u no mad oh!
Re: Does It Really Pay to Serve Nigeria? by tck2000(m): 6:07pm On Jun 28, 2019
exu:
Instead of completely abandoning your homeland wouldn't it be better if you found people who have similar views to you and then sought to change things, on a local level or using the available channels...

If everyone did this then the country would be in far better shape...I realise that politics can be messy in Nigeria but the only way forward is for people to be bold(er).
I'mm with you

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo's Legacy / Pastor Adeboye Humiliated Over 419 / Once A Senator Always A Senator?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.