Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,287 members, 7,811,856 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

My Case With CakeEmpress - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Case With CakeEmpress (6148 Views)

Is My Case Different? / Please Judge This Case With Equity And Fairnes, Who Is To Quit His Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Case With CakeEmpress by dBard: 8:22am On Nov 03, 2014
For my wedding on the 25th of October 2014, we contracted a company CakeEmpress @ Orazi in Port Harcourt to deliver on the cakes. We met personally with her,discussed, gave her pics of wat we wanted, settled on a price n before d D-day, paid in full. The day comes n d cake is unveiled t show something totally different from what we wanted. The set up was shabby, the cake layers seperated by 'floaters', the design totally off. To add insult t injury, wen called upon,she wasn't even available, instead it was a shabbily dressed,rascally looking fellow that couldn't even express himself that sauntered up. To say I was embarrassed, with guests ~700, is an understatement.
We made contact with her afterwards demanding she explain herself, refund,or whatever, but apart from an initial text,she has not even acted apologetically. Instead wen I met wit her wit a friend ,she was acting arrogant n insisted on refunding all..but till now....... Nothing.
Normally, I would've let this slide but am tired of situations like this n d general attitude of service providers t customers. It was a painful, embarrassing experience n I demand justice.

Want to know wat y'all think,n if dre are services to handle issues like this..

3 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by dBard: 8:26am On Nov 03, 2014
Pics t buttress my point..

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by bright8(m): 8:34am On Nov 03, 2014
This is utterly wrong. Imagine the difference. Usually,It’s their unapologetic stance that pisses one off the more. Happened to my cousin, your own fine sef.

3 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by RoyalRoy(m): 9:08am On Nov 03, 2014
Arghhhh.

This is fraud!!!

How does the two cake relate? I think you should just find out if they have an association or something and report her there.
She has breached the contract between you two, even though it might not be formal.

Make sure you push for a refund if not in total at least part of it.

This cake is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 9:15am On Nov 03, 2014
@dbard, lemme guess, you picked a picture from the net and didn't bother looking at the cakes she had done, before paying her.
Looking at the cakes again, she is obviously still a learner, who does tiered cakes and leaves the cake board out.
@op do you mind telling us how much you paid

3 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by Enoquin(f): 9:30am On Nov 03, 2014
lipsrsealed Jeez, from that to this?
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by dBard: 10:04am On Nov 03, 2014
rebella:
@dbard, lemme guess, you picked a picture from the net and didn't bother looking at the cakes she had done, before paying her.
Looking at the cakes again, she is obviously still a learner, who does tiered cakes and leaves the cake board out.
@op do you mind telling us how much you paid

Pic was from d net..agreed, but am not a careless person. The pic was shown to her,she agreed she could do it, it Was Discussed, colours agreed upon...n all that.
I don't know much abt cakes but she came recommended, so I accepted her.

Price in total was abt a 100k
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by dBard: 10:08am On Nov 03, 2014
RoyalRoy:
Arghhhh.

This is fraud!!!

How does the two cake relate? I think you should just find out if they have an association or something and report her there.
She has breached the contract between you two, even though it might not be formal.

Make sure you push for a refund if not in total at least part of it.

This cake is ridiculous.

Wen she was approached, by a concerned party, she arrogantly insisted on refunding all,according t her , 'our money doesn't feed her'.. Am yet to see a dime tho.

Thinking of taking legal action or if dre are other agencies that takes up such cases.
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 10:18am On Nov 03, 2014
dBard:

Pic was from d net..agreed, but am not a careless person. The pic was shown to her,she agreed she could do it, it Was Discussed, colours agreed upon...n all that.
I don't know much abt cakes but she came recommended, so I accepted her.

Price in total was abt a 100k
My question remains, did you or your wife look at her past work?
She is trying to win more customers , of course she wouldn't tell you she can't do it.
Sadly, there is no organisation you can report to that will take this case seriously. By putting her business here on nl, that's a lesson for her.
100k for that cake is tooo much, if she had done the original cake, then the price would have been ok.
I always recommend for people to taste and see actual pictures of cake designers work before finalising.

2 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by dBard: 10:28am On Nov 03, 2014
rebella:

My question remains, did you or your wife look at her past work?
She is trying to win more customers , of course she wouldn't tell you she can't do it.
Sadly, there is no organisation you can report to that will take this case seriously. By putting her business here on nl, that's a lesson for her.
100k for that cake is tooo much, if she had done the original cake, then the price would have been ok.
I always recommend for people to taste and see actual pictures of cake designers work before finalising.

I definitely slacked in that respect.

Do you recommend legal action or...?
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 03, 2014
This is fraud. Did you sign a contract with her? Thats what Nigerians mostly neglect, we just pay for services, and NEVER pay 100 percent. Any amount above 20k draft a contract please, clearly define the terms and also state the terms of payment, actions to be taken when services are not met. Please intending brides and grooms as busy as you are please try to do this. Its your money, dont think its too small.

You can google a contract draft and complete it yourself anything above 500k get a lawyer. I know what a contract saved me during my own wedding.

Now she has acted like a witch and cheat and you dont have a contract, what do you do? Embarass her on line, send a mail to Linda and Stellas blog, embarass her, appeal to these two popular bloggers, let others know what she has done so others can avoid her.

Wicked greedy vendors, they feel there is nothing you can do after the wedding so they can just give you any trash and get away with it

5 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 11:31am On Nov 03, 2014
dBard:

I definitely slacked in that respect.

Do you recommend legal action or...?
I recommend having nl mods move this post to the front page, that will have a more damaging and sooner effect than legal action especially as I'm sure u didn't sign a contract with her.
Follow aisha2 suggestion send it to stella and linda.

4 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 11:43am On Nov 03, 2014
I recall going to a very popular cake decorator in port harcourt this year. This guy's decorations are mind blowing although his prices exorbitant.
I went into his office and asked for carrot cake and orange cake, I asked if he could do it, he said yes. Somewhere in the conversation he mentioned that I wanted an orange flavoured cake( orange cake and orange flavoured cake are 2 different things). When I pointed out the difference, he hid his ipad and googled it .
Then he went on to give me a chocolate cake to taste, it left bitter after taste in my mouth.
After that I had made up my mind, that I wouldn't touch his store with a 10ft pole, but not before he showed me a wedding cake of 4 million naira !!

2 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 03, 2014
It can be a jungle out there. They spend so much time and money on packaging while ignoring to do the right thing and they get away with it because we always " leave it to God" even God gave the israelites judges when he became tired of settling their cases.

When i go and see all your razzmatazz, i hardly get carried away, husband says am too tough but being tough and thorough has saved us loads of money, energy and time.

Immediately i notice you are reluctant to sign a contract no matter how good you are, i carry my money and leave.

I always put a clause where late delivery will mean forfeiting your balance and it works like magic

rebella:
I recall going to a very popular cake decorator in port harcourt this year. This guy's decorations are mind blowing although his prices exorbitant.
I went into his office and asked for carrot cake and orange cake, I asked if he could do it, he said yes. Somewhere in the conversation he mentioned that I wanted an orange flavoured cake( orange cake and orange flavoured cake are 2 different things). When I pointed out the difference, he hid his ipad and googled it .
Then he went on to give me a chocolate cake to taste, it left bitter after taste in my mouth.
After that I had made up my mind, that I wouldn't touch his store with a 10ft pole, but not before he showed me a wedding cake of 4 million naira !!

Lol @ 4 million naira wedding cake. Come to abuja and see them acting like arses once they get a small government contract government wey no dey pay. One vendor didnt even bother seeing me she asked me to meet her PA, ah them call taya
Stupid arrogant arses

1 Like

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 1:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:
It can be a jungle out there. They spend so much time and money on packaging while ignoring to do the right thing and they get away with it because we always " leave it to God" even God gave the israelites judges when he became tired of settling their cases.

When i go and see all your razzmatazz, i hardly get carried away, husband says am too tough but being tough and thorough has saved us loads of money, energy and time.

Immediately i notice you are reluctant to sign a contract no matter how good you are, i carry my money and leave.

I always put a clause where late delivery will mean forfeiting your balance and it works like magic

Lol @ 4 million naira wedding cake. Come to abuja and see them acting like arses once they get a small government contract government wey no dey pay. One vendor didnt even bother seeing me she asked me to meet her PA, ah them call taya
Stupid arrogant arses
Shior!! PA ke, that's just wrong at least for the first meeting your supposed to meet face to face with your clientn seriously how are you going to understand your clients needs if you feel too big to meet with them.
I know of case after billing my friend, few weeks to the wedding she came to ask for extra 300k for hall decor. With more than 1 mill spent on hall decor alone, the hall decor was still rubbish, torn laterns, dirty table cloths. I'm vexing sef, just remembering it
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by taryour(f): 1:36pm On Nov 03, 2014
As a baker I feel so ashamed seeing this. Very very disappointing.
@ op sorry about that.
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 03, 2014
rebella:

Shior!! PA ke, that's just wrong at least for the first meeting your supposed to meet face to face with your clientn seriously how are you going to understand your clients needs if you feel too big to meet with them.
I know of case after billing my friend, few weeks to the wedding she came to ask for extra 300k for hall decor. With more than 1 mill spent on hall decor alone, the hall decor was still rubbish, torn laterns, dirty table cloths. I'm vexing sef, just remembering it

You never even see. They behave like gods ones they have collected their money. These days they will request 100 percent upfront me when they say that i just carry my bag na them go call taya beg, and once my interest comot e don comot be that

1 Like

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 2:02pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

You never even see. They behave like gods ones they have collected their money. These days they will request 100 percent upfront me when they say that i just carry my bag na them go call taya beg, and once my interest comot e don comot be that
100 percent for what you haven't seen, that's nonsense na. Sha there's money to be made in the events industries, I'm going into it very soon to teach them how things are done.

1 Like

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
rebella:

100 percent for what you haven't seen, that's nonsense na. Sha there's money to be made in the events industries, I'm going into it very soon to teach them how things are done.

When they have 4 PAs and will start reeling off how many contracts they have done dor Jonathan, Sambo and David Mark why them no go ask for 100 percent. Some ladies will be bragging " my caterer coojed in david marks daughters wedding" thats all they need to know without even tasting the food go and collect bank loan to pay caterer because she also cooked for Goodlucks daughter. They will show you pictures of the food at the wedding and my abuja people will go gaga

1 Like

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 2:23pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

When they have 4 PAs and will start reeling off how many contracts they have done dor Jonathan, Sambo and David Mark why them no go ask for 100 percent. Some ladies will be bragging " my caterer coojed in david marks daughters wedding" thats all they need to know without even tasting the food go and collect bank loan to pay caterer because she also cooked for Goodlucks daughter. They will show you pictures of the food at the wedding and my abuja people will go gaga
Lmao!! Are you for real ? Nigerians will not kill me oh
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 03, 2014
rebella:

Lmao!! Are you for real ? Nigerians will not kill me oh

As real as a heart attack. They brought me one make up artist that she did somebody's daughters own, next thing she was charging 800k i asked if it was make up for the rest of my life or for just that wedding day and if the make up will wash off or will be tattoed to my fave forever.

Another one was a djay he said 950, i said 950 naira he said no nine hundred and fifty thousand i said if you ever call my number again epilepsy and withlow will catch you

11 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 03, 2014
I dont patronise popularity.
One, outragious prize and very boastful.
I go tru people to get d best and at an affordable prize.
Better for me o.

Sorry @op, shyte happens.
Vex will not allow me to smile that day.

1 Like

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 2:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

As real as a heart attack. They brought me one make up artist that she did somebody's daughters own, next thing she was charging 800k i asked if it was make up for the rest of my life or for just that wedding day and if the make up will wash off or will be tattoed to my fave forever.

Another one was a djay he said 950, i said 950 naira he said no nine hundred and fifty thousand i said if you ever call my number again epilepsy and withlow will catch you
800k for makeup !! Mehn that can buy plot of land in some areas, are you buying songs from the DJ, c'mon even if you bought the songs it won't be that pricey!! That's just daylight robbery .

1 Like

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by damiso(f): 2:55pm On Nov 03, 2014
rebella:

800k for makeup !! Mehn that can buy plot of land in some areas, are you buying songs from the DJ, c'mon even if you bought the songs it won't be that pricey!! That's just daylight robbery .

You are paying for name naa grin grin
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by bece: 3:31pm On Nov 03, 2014
this is highly unprofessional of the cake baker. that is the problem with people they claim to know what they dont.
am a professional cake artist but when a client give u a job that you know ur ability cant do,the best is to tell them u cant and bring up suggestions of what u can do,if u are able to convince the client to ur level fine but if not let it go. why mess up someone day with ur greed
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by rebella(f): 4:21pm On Nov 03, 2014
damiso:

You are paying for name naa grin grin

Name? No thank you, na name I go chop. I heard BM pro charges around 1 mill for make up. I rather go to youtube and watch make up videos than spend that amount on just make up.
I was a BM for a friend and the make up artiste said 20k for each of the BM's. I just vexed and did my make up myself. Something that will wash off before the end of the day and clog my pores

1 Like

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by AlienSPY: 4:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
700 guests...haba op, did you invite PH?

@cake...it is best u meet the professionals, ask for pictures of past cakes done and use their ingenuity with little modifications than opting for internet samples done by professionals. Most of the cake designers you find in this part of the world are mere event contractors rather than being professionals in that department.

Now forget cake n guest...you are on your own nowgrin we don eat, drink and go
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by breathless(m): 4:33pm On Nov 03, 2014
OP, sorry for the embarrassment.

Quite unfortunate things like this still happen with some bakers.

Not only has she lost credibility, future clients and referrals, she's going to have to deal with the bad publicity for a long time to come.

When my spouse is delivering great jobs like the ones you see displayed, some is busy throwing away chances in a competitive market.

Every job is an opportunity to sell your skills.
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by kendraloops(f): 5:34pm On Nov 03, 2014
same thing happened to me with my son's birthday cake. Shame no let me show anybody the cake. the woman even used pins to hold the icing in place, laff nearly finish me, in this century!!

Op, sue for as much as you can. Wedding cake fa, anytime you view your pics you'll always be reminded of the nonsense. Sue so she'll know everyone cannot be intimidated.

2 Likes

Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by tpia6: 5:35pm On Nov 03, 2014
shouldn't nigerian cake makers have websites, fb pages or something where they feature their work.

anyway,

https://www.nairaland.com/1956235/wedding-day-bloopers
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by schendy(f): 6:35pm On Nov 03, 2014
This is just so wrong! And she even replaced two tiers with seperators or was that how you agreed it should be?
Re: My Case With CakeEmpress by dBard: 6:38pm On Nov 03, 2014
AlienSPY:
700 guests...haba op, did you invite PH?

@cake...it is best u meet the professionals, ask for pictures of past cakes done and use their ingenuity with little modifications than opting for internet samples done by professionals. Most of the cake designers you find in this part of the world are mere event contractors rather than being professionals in that department.

Now forget cake n guest...you are on your own nowgrin we don eat, drink and go

Ppl inviting ppl is wat happened..
Got to d reception venue n was like shocked shocked
The venue had abt 650 chairs n dey were all filled.. Guests had t stand outside grin

Sorry, I can't forget cake..wouldn't bother normally but u just won't understand how it feels..n t add insult t injury, she didn't even have d decency t get someone t represent her well..turns out he was one of her drivers.
Her attitude is just maddening.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

40 Reasons Why You Should Marry A Nigerian Man As a Nigerian woman. / I Have Made Up My Mind For A Divorce. My Wife Don't Value Me. / Two Wonderful Experiences You Had As A Teenager....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.