Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,170 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ (3858 Views)

Tinubu, Fashola, CAN Agree On Christian Governor 2015 / Cleric Calls For Christian Governor In Lagos State Elections / Boko Haram Plans To Attack Me - Christian Governor, Gabriel Suswam, Cries Ou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by OlusolaWarrior: 1:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
A group, the Coalition of Christian Organisations (CCO), a body representing the interests of Christians in Lagos State, has intensified its agitation for a Christian governor in the state.

Its President, Archbishop Magnus Atilade, said Muslims have ruled for 16 years, adding that the group will support parties that field Christians as flag bearers. He said the next governor would correct the marginalisation of Christians in Lagos politics.

Archbishop Atilade added: “We will only support a Christian aspirant, who is highly educated; a seasoned administrator who has the fear of God; ready to fight for all, including Muslims; a morally upright person without any personal agenda to enrich himself and family and a person who will not discriminate against any religious sect.”

Archbishop Atilade spoke on the political situation in the country in Lagos. The briefing was organised by the Southwest Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), the Christian Welfare initiative (CWI), the Interfaith Coalition for Dialogue and Peace International (INFERDPEL).

He said Christian groups are ready to work with a Christian aspirant, irrespective of his denomination.

However, he maintained that the aspirant must meet the criteria set by the group, based on Christian values.

Atilade called on Christians to mobilise themselves and register for voting. He said: “Come out to vote and protect their votes. We should clamour for free, fair, open, peaceful and violence free election. Government should guarantee justice, equity and fairness to all other religions. Let a Christian emerge as the next governor iof Lagos.”

Atilade also urged the Federal Government to be more diplomatic in tackling the Boko Haram (BH) insurgency.

He said: “It was premature of the government to have announced the pact it was negotiating with the sect. It was too hasty. There is need for caution and proof of sincerity from the group. That will not raise hope and dashed same. The peace pact should not be at all cost. The peace pact on the release of the abducted girls should be handled by experienced professionals in the field of International Diplomatic Relations on behalf of the government.

“Government should work harder to ensure the unrest kidnapping, destruction of property; churches mass killings and man slaughters.”

On the economy, the cleric said youth unemployment is unacceptable it is the key to idleness, restlessness and armed robbery.

He added: “An idle hand is a tool for the devil. The growing trend in the armed robbery by youths is alarming. Government and the baking sector should support skill training outfits, mechanised farming, local production of goods, especially the textile industry, to promote locally made goods.

“Public schools should not allow outward display of religious persuasions and private schools should cater for students with special interest.”

Source: http://nigerians4change.com/2014/11/03/we-want-christian-governor-in-lagos/

2 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
we want jimi agabaje

11 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by politricks: 1:27pm On Nov 03, 2014
chukwudi44:
we want jimi agabaje
You couldnt even spell his name right.Besides, dont you want ibo governor again.

10 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by esmeralda1(f): 1:28pm On Nov 03, 2014
I just noticed the fact dt almost all Lagos state aspirants into almost all political openings are muslims. They've tried anyways

8 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by OlusolaWarrior: 1:31pm On Nov 03, 2014
Is it only Lagos? Look at all the APC governors in the South West. They are all Muslims. 99 percent of APC members are Muslims. There's a latent plan to Islamize the South West.

esmeralda1:
I just noticed the fact dt almost all Lagos state aspirants into almost all political openings are muslims. They've tried anyways

7 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 03, 2014
Am just coming back from Yabatech now, all the heavyweight guber contenders are Muslims and they are all in APC.

Yorobass from the far-flunged of Osun, Oyo,Ogun have succeded in relegating the indegenes to the backyard of political relavance in their own state.
They wanted to use the opportunity to corner lagos diring the Confab but Lagos delegates rejected them and all their evil plans.

esmeralda1:

8 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by ibedun: 1:39pm On Nov 03, 2014
Like the shoeless idio-t running the country abi?

I am a so called "Christian" according to my parents but I like to see good governance instead of further polarising ourselves based on religions that have absolutely nothing to do with our history as a people.

10 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by masseratti: 1:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
It's Mr Atilade opinion,me and my own people want a credible Lagosian as Governor,I care less what ever he or she worship,he might be an atheist for all I care we want a credible administrator

13 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by esmeralda1(f): 1:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
OlusolaWarrior:
Is it only Lagos? Look at all the APC governors in the South West. They are all Muslims. 99 percent of APC members are Muslims. There's a latent plan to Islamize the South West.

That sort of plan will not work, even muslims will not like to live like d turkeys, eygptians, syrians and other war-strickened countries.

2 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by KaiMallam: 1:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
Story, story? Na now your eye just dey open? Bola Tinubu has not only sold southwest to the north. He has also sold the entire Yoruba land to Islamists. We understand that when a man is getting old and closer to his grave he'll begin to reconcile his ways to his creator, which is one understandable reason why Bola Tinubu is embracing his Islamic religion so dearly and allying with Muslims. But why do that under a democracy and foster Muslims on the people? I tell you, if you are a Christian and you want to run for any political office in the southwest just forget it! You will never win as God remains God! APC is an Islamist party. The reason why someone like Amaechi doesn't mind being on that party is due to his presidential ambition. He knows how powerful Rivers State is in Nigeria's political landscape and that APC will help him actualise his ambition by giving him the VP slot since he is a vocal weapon against Jonathan. APC finds Amaechi, being an Igbo Southerner, useful in the war against Jonathan. It's like using your own brother to fight you. Adams Oshiomhole was also born a Muslim even though he has converted into Christianity. Islam still runs in his blood and it's easy to see why he sympathizes with APC's islamic ideologies. It is time Lagos makes a vote for a Christian governor.

esmeralda1:

3 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by ibedun: 1:42pm On Nov 03, 2014
BuddahMonk:
Am just coming back from Yabatech now, all the heavyweight guber contenders are Muslims and they are all in APC.
Yorobass from the far-flunged of Osun, Oyo,Ogun have succeded in relegating the indegenes to the backyard of political relavance in their own state.
They wanted to use the opportunity to corner lagos diring the Confab but Lagos delegates rejected them and all their evil plans.

Omo Igbo please mind the guber contenders in the SE please.

This matter is serious and between the SW people. Any Yoruba man from anywhere can be become a governor of any Yoruba state if he plays his card right. States are administrative outposts only- got it?

4 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by jaybee3(m): 1:44pm On Nov 03, 2014
Question is, do these dumfucks have evidence of past Governors compromising their executive position due to their faith

Politicians are all the same irrespective of their faith. They are all in it for themselves so what fucking gives?

4 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 03, 2014
My grouse with all these people saying religion should not be mixed with politics, lets be sincere to ourselves Muslims can never allow a Christian rule them, we saw what happened to Patrick Yakowa of Kaduna State.
Muslims are the most wicked people in the world and depending the people that are practising sometimes.
Nigeria muslims esp the north are devilish, hatefilled, vindictive, arrogant and violent, i dnt know whether those of SW have started towing the same path since the emergence of APC.
APC have really done great damages to the Nigeria community, they have succceded in not just fragmenting but dividing this country along not just religious lines but along tribal strife.
Look at Goodluck likely to win another term and rule us for another 4years of heart thumping and adrenaline rushing citizens just because APC failed woefully yo address the relevant issues instead of having internet warrriors who go about propagating hate speechs and promoting a violent orientated society.

Smdh
OlusolaWarrior:

1 Like

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by bigFOOTcaveMAN(m): 1:49pm On Nov 03, 2014
I want a fellow bushman cool We have been maginalized enough.

1 Like

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by ibedun: 1:50pm On Nov 03, 2014
BuddahMonk:
My grouse with all these people saying religion should not be mixed with politics, lets be sincere to ourselves Muslims can never allow a Christian rule them, we saw what happened to Patrick Yakowa of Kaduna State.
Muslims are the most wicked people in the world and depending the people that are practising sometimes.
Nigeria muslims esp the north are devilish, hatefilled, vindictive, arrogant and violent, i dnt know whether those of SW have started towing the same path since the emergence of APC.
APC have really done great damages to the Nigeria community, they have succceded in not just fragmenting but dividing this country along not just religious lines but along tribal strife.
Look at Goodluck likely to win another term and rule us for another 4years of heart thumping and adrenaline rushing citizens just because APC failed woefully yo address the relevant issues instead of having internet warrriors who go about propagating hate speechs and promoting a violent orientated society.
Smdh

Go and feed your people, in your state with your Jona propaganda.

Lagos is the city of excellence despite all the horrible challenges from the "apa-po" government

3 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by slimfit1(m): 1:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
masseratti:
It's Mr Atilade opinion,me and my own people want a credible Lagosian as Governor,I care less what ever he or she worship,he might be an atheist for all I care we want a credible administrator

Thank God for people like you I don't have to say much.

2 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by abbakacici: 1:52pm On Nov 03, 2014
so how have the so called muslim Governors marginalise the Christian in lagos, if yes please let them list it. lagos poster are the richest in the world and they are very powerful and, moreso from their school uniform to government office approved dressing etc to social life etc, no conservative muslim or atheist in the world will called lagos a islamic state or even a muslim state. so they just want a governor that will attending church service

3 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by ISpiksDaTroof: 1:54pm On Nov 03, 2014
OlusolaWarrior:
A group, the Coalition of Christian Organisations (CCO), a body representing the interests of Christians in Lagos State, has intensified its agitation for a Christian governor in the state.

Its President, Archbishop Magnus Atilade, said Muslims have ruled for 16 years, adding that the group will support parties that field Christians as flag bearers. He said the next governor would correct the marginalisation of Christians in Lagos politics.

Archbishop Atilade added: “We will only support a Christian aspirant, who is highly educated; a seasoned administrator who has the fear of God; ready to fight for all, including Muslims; a morally upright person without any personal agenda to enrich himself and family and a person who will not discriminate against any religious sect.”

Archbishop Atilade spoke on the political situation in the country in Lagos. The briefing was organised by the Southwest Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), the Christian Welfare initiative (CWI), the Interfaith Coalition for Dialogue and Peace International (INFERDPEL).

He said Christian groups are ready to work with a Christian aspirant, irrespective of his denomination.

However, he maintained that the aspirant must meet the criteria set by the group, based on Christian values.

Atilade called on Christians to mobilise themselves and register for voting. He said: “Come out to vote and protect their votes. We should clamour for free, fair, open, peaceful and violence free election. Government should guarantee justice, equity and fairness to all other religions. Let a Christian emerge as the next governor iof Lagos.”

Atilade also urged the Federal Government to be more diplomatic in tackling the Boko Haram (BH) insurgency.

He said: “It was premature of the government to have announced the pact it was negotiating with the sect. It was too hasty. There is need for caution and proof of sincerity from the group. That will not raise hope and dashed same. The peace pact should not be at all cost. The peace pact on the release of the abducted girls should be handled by experienced professionals in the field of International Diplomatic Relations on behalf of the government.

“Government should work harder to ensure the unrest kidnapping, destruction of property; churches mass killings and man slaughters.”

On the economy, the cleric said youth unemployment is unacceptable it is the key to idleness, restlessness and armed robbery.

He added: “An idle hand is a tool for the devil. The growing trend in the armed robbery by youths is alarming. Government and the baking sector should support skill training outfits, mechanised farming, local production of goods, especially the textile industry, to promote locally made goods.

“Public schools should not allow outward display of religious persuasions and private schools should cater for students with special interest.”

Source: http://nigerians4change.com/2014/11/03/we-want-christian-governor-in-lagos/
Nigerian Christians are the worst bigots and hypocrites I have ever come across. Very intolerant, pretentious, set of people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 03, 2014
Your a big foool.
You mislims when your hokding the ace everywhere will be peaceful and you will be talking in hush tones but when you people are playing the second fiddle everybody will not know any peace, the whole place will be running blood in blood out.

Taa go n die

ibedun:

Omo Igbo please mind the guber contenders in the SE please.

This matter is serious and between the SW people. Any Yoruba man from anywhere can be become a governor of any Yoruba state if he plays his card right. States are administrative outposts only- got it?

1 Like

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 03, 2014
ibedun:

I am a so called "Christian" according to my parents but I like to see good governance instead of further polarising ourselves based on religions that have absolutely nothing to do with our history as a people.

Good governance can come from both Christians and Muslims

But when all APC in Lagos sees are the good Muslims but no good Christians then we have to ask questions

2 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by masseratti: 1:59pm On Nov 03, 2014
BuddahMonk:

Smdh
Oga time without number have we south westerners told you lots in other part of the country both north and south east that we don't care about the religion of our leaders.
Practically all families in South West has both Muslims and Christians in it,with most of the Muslims moderate,no muslim leader ustaz or shiek can turn them to mumu like it is up north.
From what I can see now the southwest is now the battle ground for 2015 election.it has become the bride to be court among the two parties,but why the sudden interest? If we lost out of the leadership of the house why didn't Gej appoint one of our own as SSG?,minister of finance,defence,attorney general,petroleum those are the most important ministerial positions but we are only good for minister of State,

2 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by ISpiksDaTroof: 2:03pm On Nov 03, 2014
BuddahMonk:

Smdh
When Tafawa Balewa was murdered by Christian Ibos, a Christian Ironsi took over. When another Group of Christians Murdered Mur'tala Muhammed, a Christian Obasanjo took over. Same with M.K.O's and Yar Adua's deaths--- Christians took over.

If the deceased were Christians, I bet ---based on their attitudes these past few years--- they'd have insisted a fellow christian (no matter how dull, ignorant, or unqualified) took over.

Nigeria never had a religious divide as bad as this until the South East became very vociferous with it, especially with GEJ encouraging on the sidelines. The North and South East are very intolerant of others' religious beliefs.

The Southwest should make sure aliens do not indoctrinate her society with alien practices of hate, bigotry, hypocrisy and intolerance as is seeming to lately be the case.

P.S: Instead of preaching bigotry and intolerance , Mr.Magnus Atilade should go take care of his wife (the High Court Justice) and family he abandoned for a much younger woman. His attention is needed by his unmarried 36yr old daughter that went crazy a few years ago because her fiancee fled with her best friend (and moved into a house he made her furnish in hopes that she'd be the one living there with him).

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by ayukdaboss(m): 2:04pm On Nov 03, 2014
A Christian Association moving along religious bigotry. A big shame...how has "Christianity" helped our useless president?

2 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by ayukdaboss(m): 2:05pm On Nov 03, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:
When Tafawa Balewa was murdered my Christian Ibos, a Christian Ironsi took over. When another Group of Christians Murdered Mur'tala Muhammed, a Christian Obasanjo took over. Same with M.K.O's and Yar Adua's deaths--- Christians took over.

If the deceased were Christians, I bet ---based on their attitudes these past few years--- they'd have insisted a fellow christian (no matter how dull, ignorant, or unqualified) took over.

Nigeria never had a religious divide as bad as this until the South East became very vociferous with it, especially with GEJ encouraging on the sidelines. The North and South East are very intolerant of others's religious beliefs.

The Southwest should make sure aliens do not indoctrinate her society with alien practices of hate, bigotry, hypocrisy and intolerance as is seeming to lately be the case.
God bless you brother.

2 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2014
These things usually don't matter until they begin to matter

Inclusiveness is very important in all we do!

There is no guarantee that a christain governor will perform better than Fashola or Tinubu. But when Tinubu a Muslim governs for 8 years and hand over to another Muslim Fashola to govern for another 8 years who want to hand over to another Muslim Hamzat to govern for another 8years then the christain community in Lagos have a right to wonder if they are being deliberately excluded from the scheme of things in the state!

I am sure Christians are large enough in number to be included more by Lagos APC

1 Like

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by ntyce(m): 2:14pm On Nov 03, 2014
OlusolaWarrior:

I can see that you are a xtian political warrior from ur previous posts. However take ur mind to when the PDP controlled the whole SWest aside Lagos, they were all xtian governors.
Did Muslims cry fowl that there's a plan to christianize the SWEST?
Bro, sell ur propaganda to those from the other side of the Niger river.

5 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by nigerianvenom(m): 2:26pm On Nov 03, 2014
ibedun:

muslim fanatic claiming to be a christian

1 Like

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by tit(f): 2:35pm On Nov 03, 2014
there is no good honest administrator christian in Lagos APC and PDP.
We shall chose our leaders on merit.
Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by shevon: 2:37pm On Nov 03, 2014
Honestly, all these are not necessary.
The moment we can put a clear distinction between politics and religion/ethnicity in this country, that is when we would begin to take steps towards the right direction.
What does it matter if it is a Muslim or Christian that is ruling? What if we field a Christian but a Muslim will better perform and vise versa? Would we rather a mediocre rule and leave the profession out of the system all because we want to satisfy a religious and ethnocentric desires? What pride do we get if someone of the same religion is the one on the seat of power? I really don't get it.
If they agree to let a Christian run, the next thing you will hear is "He should be a Catholic" or "He should be of a living church" denomination or something in that line.
I kind of understand that when 'our brother' is in a public office, he tends to favor 'us' his people, but it is not supposed to be so. A public office holder is expected to serve the "Public" and not his "Family" or people with the same religious belief or ethnic origin.
It is one step at a time though, the moment we begin to get things right, every other thing will fall into place.

1 Like

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
Religion should be inconsequential in politics under a normal circumstance but religious fanatics like buhari and tinubu will not give room for a leveled playground.

1 Like

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by 1wolex85: 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2014
BuddahMonk:

Smdh
muslims cant let christians rule them! why dont you talk about what you know. At a time, alao-akala, oyinlola,fayose,agagu,daniel were all pdp govs in SW and they were all christians, did any muslim complain? In osun state the deputy was olusola-obada, gov and dep gov were christian did any muslim complain? Aregbe didnt even use it in his campaign so what the hell are you talking about? why the hypocrisy? why does this govt like dividing us along tribal and religious lines? when everybody was calling obj a monkey, did any SWesterner clainm its because of where he comes from?
EDIT:
Since 1999, 'christians' have ruled the country for 12 out of 15 years of democracy, if it were to be the other way round, 'christians' will cry foul. This hypocrisy is irritating.

8 Likes

Re: ‘We Want Christian Governor In Lagos’ by 1wolex85: 2:48pm On Nov 03, 2014
mikeansy:
These things usually don't matter until they begin to matter

Inclusiveness is very important in all we do!

There is no guarantee that a christain governor will perform better than Fashola or Tinubu. But when Tinubu a Muslim governs for 8 years and hand over to another Muslim Fashola to govern for another 8 years who want to hand over to another Muslim Hamzat to govern for another 8years then the christain community in Lagos have a right to wonder if they are being deliberately excluded from the scheme of things in the state!

I am sure Christians are large enough in number to be included more by Lagos APC
Did they prevent a christian from contesting? the last time your pdp presented a christian gov candidate was 2003 so why the hypocrisy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mention Your State And What Pdp/jonathan Has Done / Nigeria Displays Usual Folly On World Stage... #kickgoodluckout / FG To Spend N65bn On Warplanes, Weapons, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.