Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,375 members, 7,954,516 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:53 PM

Opinion: Neither GEJ Nor GMB Can Truly Transform Nigeria, Not Under APC/PDP... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Neither GEJ Nor GMB Can Truly Transform Nigeria, Not Under APC/PDP... (870 Views)

Neither GEJ Nor GMB..... / Jonathan To Nigerians: Give Me Another Five Years To Transform Nigeria / Surest Way GMB Can Win 2015 Election. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: Neither GEJ Nor GMB Can Truly Transform Nigeria, Not Under APC/PDP... by omicron(m): 11:24am On Nov 04, 2014
In 2011, I voted for the Social Democratic Mega Party. I knew my vote would not change the outcome of the 2011 general elections as it was obvious that either Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GEJ (the incumbent) or General Mohammad Buhari, GMB (then of the strongest opposition), was going to win that election. It was simple logic.

Despite being emotionally touched by the GEJ campaign speeches, I did not vote for him. Then, I said to myself, ''it is not GEJ whom I'd be voting, but rather the PDP'', a cult in the form of a political party largely consisting of the very crop of people who had had the biggest chances to develop and unite Nigeria, but had instead spent the past four or five decades squandering it's finite resources and pursuing their selfish and empty political ambitions by systematically dividing the nation.

Even though I craved for change, having been mostly unsatisfied with the rather slow, unfocused and weak manner the incumbent had started off his leadership during the months leading up to the 2011 elections, I did not vote for the APC (the the CPC + ACN + Others) because I knew it would not be Buhari or Ribadu I'd be voting in, but the APC, another cult in the form of an opposition party, made up largely of politicians who for one reason or another (selfish, ulterior, regional, sometimes even religious) were not accommodated in the scheme of things within the PDP. Many were once members of the PDP, while many others are used to crossing from one of the parties to another.

So I voted for Social Democratic Mega Party/Pat Utomi. In truth, I knew nothing about the SDMP -literally nothing but the person of its presidential flag bearer, in the person of Pat Utomi. Essentially, I was voting for Pat Utomi, and not the SDMP. Alas, I had also made the same fundamental misjudgment millions of Nigerians made when they said, ''I voted for GEJ , not the PDP''.

But That is the point. You see, there is really no such thing as GEJ till 2019 or GMB till 2023. It should be, PDP till 2019, or APC till 2023, for unlike in military regime where the dictator might single-handedly effect a change, this time policies are not necessarily those of the person of the president but indirectly those of the party of which he leads. And we are yet to see a party among these present crop of parties that has been able to distinguish between politics and the development of state.

And that is where I have an issue with. unlike in civilized nations, and among patriotic and conscientious politicians, what we have in Nigeria since 1999 at best cults or societies whose interests are always sefish and or ulterior, devoid of any clear ideologies or patriotism. note that this includes, but not limited to, the APC and PDP, particularly at the national level (which is why true federalism is another thing that might save the nation, but which this group of people will never allow to see light of day)

In Nigeria today, we have the same people, who have either held major national or local positions-executive, legislative or administrative- without doing much to effect the same very basic changes the citizens seek . Because, I do not understand why the roads are always bad, why their is no portable water, why we import fuel and why only one or two of the biggest hospitals can boast of a common defibrillator. Hardly, do we see any new faces in government -technocrats and meritocrats- holding sensitive positions, including at the local level, because like I said it is a cult, and you do not just enter a cult. Instead, you are taken in.

It amazes me to see young people in Nigeria, in their 20s, 30s and even 40s swearing, offline and online, and fighting fellow citizens over Mr A or Mr B, over PDP and APC, over this and that as if they have no memory. Yet the road to their villages and the highways to their cities are barely motor-able (not just since 2011 but maybe since 1993, not only in Ebonyi but also maybe in Ondo or Kano states)

I know that various factors determine the success of any leadership, including personal characteristics of the person leading, but my take is that as long as the forces behind the current political parties in Nigeria remain, as long as every candidate must be sponsored by these political groups, effective, development-oriented, independent-minded and progressive leaderships may continue to elude us at the central level. Only a candidate whose allegiance lies totally or mostly with the people and who is answerable to the people and his conscience alone can put an end to these dynasties and cults that have continued to hold us backward as a nation.

Until then, let the drama continue. APC or PDP, just let us retain our memories, in 10 years we may still be shouting for one JAE/APC OR HSL/PDP to come and save the nation. God forbid.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION, NOT A CAMPAIGN.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Neither GEJ Nor GMB Can Truly Transform Nigeria, Not Under APC/PDP... by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 04, 2014
Well said my broda
but i'll rather vote for pdp than apc
jona is trying abeg apc are the once denting jonas admistration
abi who do u think controls d affairs of boko bois
Re: Opinion: Neither GEJ Nor GMB Can Truly Transform Nigeria, Not Under APC/PDP... by iamodenigbo1(m): 12:51pm On Nov 04, 2014
you are wise,those stakeholders are rogues Pdp or Apc,but GEj till 2019

(1) (Reply)

Suit On Jonathan’s Eligibility Moves To S’court As Ardo Loses At Appeal Court / 28 Year Old Nigerian Lady Qualifies As A Commercial Pilot / BREAKING NEWS: Wahala In Ekiti House Of Reps As 7 Members Impeach The Speaker.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.