Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,472 members, 7,819,719 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? (1752 Views)

⚠ Warning! Only The Intelligent Ones Should Click. / Nigerian Men And Urinating Outside / How Would You Describe Your Personality Outside Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by rinrin23(f): 11:27am On Nov 04, 2014
A dear friend once asked 'What are all the smart people doing outside positions of influence??'.

And so I pose this same question to Nairalanders. Scrolling through some threads here, I've picked up on quite a number of posters that have vast knowledge on Africa, Nigeria, our ancient history, ancient religion, our culture, politics, foreign affairs and policy; and have solid blueprints for the turn around of this nation; not to mention their Pan-African and patriotic stance with a sense of desiring progress for the Nigerian nation.

I wondered why don't we have thinking governors, senators, presidents?!. Is it because the majority which is unthinking would rather have a ruler who is just like them. Or do we not have the drive to act and move into these positions of influence.

I guess what I would like to know is what are we doing with our vast banks of knowledge and passion outside of posting on Nairaland (and beer parlour discussions). In what way are you making a positive influence in Nigeria
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Infomizer(m): 7:04pm On Nov 04, 2014
Majority are okay with mediocrity. We, as a people, can cope with any situation, so we would rather manage (and say "e go better"wink than act right or demand excellence (in most cases).

What am I doing? I'm trying to amass enough wealth so that I can influence things, especially education and mass re-orientation (in a positive way though!). Yorubas will say "rich man no fit talk make poor man claim sey him get idea" grin

1 Like

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 04, 2014
What are all the smart people doing outside positions of influence? This isn't the question you should be asking.

Influence is the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behaviour of someone. Influnce can come through power, societal status amongst other means.

As things stand, the greatest positions of influence in our society are religion, politics and music. In that order.

Those who currently occupy these positions are SMART, contrary to popular opinion. They know how to tune the mind of our people to stop them from thinking rationally. They know how to pull our strings such that we rely on sentiments rather than rationality when making decisions.

From Linda Ikeji's appaling defense when accused of plagiarism, to Oritsejafor's even more impuissant defense of his alleged role in the recent arms smuggling fiasco, these sad episodes have only exposed our penchant for being easily won over by emotional rather than logical arguments. We are in essence slaves to our sentiments. Not much better than lower animals who do not have the privilege of the thinking faculties we possess.

So, in my opinion, the right question should be what more can the smart people outside the positions of influence do? Because, clearly from your Op, a few spend huge chunks of their time disseminating knowledge on social mediums and sharing their vast knowledge and offering sutions on national and social issues that plague this nation.

I am atheist, but permit me to share a story from the Bible, the book of Genesis to be exact. I would use Moses as an example. Below is a summary I have lifted from the site http://students.ou.edu/T/Emmanuel.Torres-1/Moses.html

A long time ago, the pharaoh of Egypt was seeing a problem with the rising population of the Hebrews which were slaves. He ordered that every first-born male child be immediately killed. Moses' mother loved her child and saw that the only way for Moses to survive was to put him in a basket and let him float down the Nile River. She could only hope that someone would raise him up. It turned out that the pharaoh's daughter was about to wash herself when she found the little boy in the basket. She begged the pharaoh not to kill him and the pharaoh agreed to raise him as the prince of Egypt along with their own son. When he was older, Moses watched in disgust as all the slaves were being whipped and severely beaten.

One day, he saw a slave being brutally beaten by a guard and he could not watch, he was so furious that he killed the guard. The pharaoh quickly found out and ordered for Moses to be killed. Moses fled into the desert.

I do not wish to bore you with details. For those who may not be familiar with the story, Moses eventually returns to help his people. He demands that the Pharoah free the Israelites. His demand is rejected and Pharoah increases the workload of the Israelites. They turn on Moses and tell him they'd prefer to remain slaves. To them, the price of freedom was too great. Slavery was a much easier and safer alternative.

There are lessons to be learnt from the story of Moses and the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. To be freed, both the liberator and the enslaved have roles to play. The enslaved must hatr and despise his chain. The liberator must show patience and understanding of the state of the enslaved. The liberator must also have a solid plan and roadmap of what should be achieved after emancipation. Above all, the liberator must be relentless and be ready to be consumed by his desire to free his people.

2 Likes

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
So what can we do?

Change would start from the mind. The Nigerian problem isn't a lack of infrastructure, rather it is the mentality and generally lazy and slothful thinking that is perpetuated by religion and crippled academic institutions. I have always maintained that if the people of Lagos for example wer moved to New York, and New Yorkers moved to Lagos, it is possible that in 10 years, Lagos could leap ahead in terms of every positive social index, while New York would be in a state of retrogression.

Africans need to learn from their forefathers. Beliefs never saved anyone from the physical effects of the laws of nature. No amount of belief will turn you into a pussy cat tomorrow. Only knowledge can permit you that opportunity.

Those with a vision of a better Nigeria(I personally have given up hope on one) need to be more tham smart. They will need to be more proactive, be more organized, have a purpose. Who knows, one day, we would have an election in which our votes wouldnt be based on 'who is the nicer scoundrel?'

1 Like

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by rinrin23(f): 10:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
Infomizer:
Majority are okay with mediocrity. We, as a people, can cope with any situation, so we would rather manage (and say "e go better"wink than act right or demand excellence (in most cases).

What am I doing? I'm trying to amass enough wealth so that I can influence things, especially education and mass re-orientation (in a positive way though!). Yorubas will say "rich man no fit talk make poor man claim sey him get idea" grin

I am Yoruba and totally get that cheesy. I hope that in time you do amass that wealth and truly use it to make a difference. We hope that you don't get swayed by the public and society (and self- that nagging tempting voice) and years later we hear you have mansions in Dubai.

I cant say much for myself. My version of change had always been relieving the effects the Nigerian situation has on the average(less privileged Nigerian) and so I felt I was making a difference but unintentional had boxed myself in.

Majority okay with mediocrity? I believe its more of the ‘slothful’ nature musKeeto described, I say this because the idea behind this post is that Nigerians complain. We are definitely not okay with mediocrity. We compare ourselves to other more developed nations and wonder why we cant be like them. For instance, Nigerians enviously comparing themselves to Malaysia- a country that attained independence at about the same time as Nigeria, fast-tracked its economic development through various sectors and (comparatively) through the growth of its palm-oil industry (palm-oil Nigerians spitefully say the Malaysians took from them- this of-course is not true), and has one of the most outstanding economic records in Asia. (Compare Malaysia's vision 2020 to Nigeria's’).

We hate mediocrity, put a Nigerian in New York and he would memorize all his rights and privileges and make sure he is not cheated. We hate that constant electricity has become a gift from the 'gods of NEPA/PHCN’. We hate that we are governed by people that have no business ruling a home, much less a nation. We hate that strikes keep Doctors, Lawyers, Educators the future movers and shakers of the nation in school years longer than they should be. We hate that Boko Haram is taking over rapidly and violently while our president prays to a Jewish god facing an ancient wall in a foreign land. We hate that our moral (religious) leaders are rocking gold Jesus pieces while their followers are brainwashed to donating all they have to finance their leaders’ lifestyle.

However when someone 'the liberator’ shows up with a ‘blueprint’ everyone goes quiet and contributes little to nothing to the development of the solution from blueprint to concrete. The average Nigerian would rather complain than put in work. This is why we put so much hope in 'God'. We need the change but will not put in the work. Many a time a revolutionist shows up on the scene with great plans for change, the average Nigerian would hiss and simply begin a mental/subconscious countdown until he/she is either paid off, killed off, or worn out, and then consciously mouth an ‘I told you so’.

4 Likes

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by rinrin23(f): 10:40pm On Nov 04, 2014
musKeeto:
So what can we do?

Change would start from the mind. The Nigerian problem isn't a lack of infrastructure, rather it is the mentality and generally lazy and slothful thinking that is perpetuated by religion and crippled academic institutions. I have always maintained that if the people of Lagos for example wer moved to New York, and New Yorkers moved to Lagos, it is possible that in 10 years, Lagos could leap ahead in terms of every positive social index, while New York would be in a state of retrogression.

Africans need to learn from their forefathers. Beliefs never saved anyone from the physical effects of the laws of nature. No amount of belief will turn you into a pussy cat tomorrow. Only knowledge can permit you that opportunity.

Those with a vision of a better Nigeria(I personally have given up hope on one) need to be more tham smart. They will need to be more proactive, be more organized, have a purpose. Who knows, one day, we would have an election in which our votes wouldnt be based on 'who is the nicer scoundrel?'

Influence: Political Influence, Societal, and Moral (Religious)

Your biblical allegory is spot on! For this sole reason I would side with those Nigerians that attempt to link their ancestral lineage back to the Isrealites. That is typical Nigerian behaviour right there!. We like easy and we like safe. As long as whatever change/ revolution is to be carried out/established, it must fall within the confines of safe and easy.

I too believe that change has to start from the mind. The Nigerian mind is so twisted that change is almost incomprehensible!

Nigerians/Africans/Black Men have been conditioned to feel inferior when it comes to making such strides. An African that knows his history, knows his roots, understands the greatness that was (and could/would be) Africa, the empires and civilizations their ancestors built, would find in himself the strength and confidence to make a difference. We simply do not know our history!

1 Like

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Infomizer(m): 1:29am On Nov 05, 2014
rinrin23:

I am Yoruba and totally get that cheesy. I hope that in time you do amass that wealth and truly use it to make a difference. We hope that you don't get swayed by the public and society (and self- that nagging tempting voice) and years later we hear you have mansions in Dubai.

I cant say much for myself. My version of change had always been relieving the effects the Nigerian situation has on the average(less privileged Nigerian) and so I felt I was making a difference but unintentional had boxed myself in.

Majority okay with mediocrity? I believe its more of the ‘slothful’ nature musKeeto described, I say this because the idea behind this post is that Nigerians complain. We are definitely not okay with mediocrity. We compare ourselves to other more developed nations and wonder why we cant be like them. For instance, Nigerians enviously comparing themselves to Malaysia- a country that attained independence at about the same time as Nigeria, fast-tracked its economic development through various sectors and (comparatively) through the growth of its palm-oil industry (palm-oil Nigerians spitefully say the Malaysians took from them- this of-course is not true), and has one of the most outstanding economic records in Asia. (Compare Malaysia's vision 2020 to Nigeria's’).

We hate mediocrity, put a Nigerian in New York and he would memorize all his rights and privileges and make sure he is not cheated. We hate that constant electricity has become a gift from the 'gods of NEPA/PHCN’. We hate that we are governed by people that have no business ruling a home, much less a nation. We hate that strikes keep Doctors, Lawyers, Educators the future movers and shakers of the nation in school years longer than they should be. We hate that Boko Haram is taking over rapidly and violently while our president prays to a Jewish god facing an ancient wall in a foreign land. We hate that our moral (religious) leaders are rocking gold Jesus pieces while their followers are brainwashed to donating all they have to finance their leaders’ lifestyle.

However when someone 'the liberator’ shows up with a ‘blueprint’ everyone goes quiet and contributes little to nothing to the development of the solution from blueprint to concrete. The average Nigerian would rather complain than put in work. This is why we put so much hope in 'God'. We need the change but will not put in the work. Many a time a revolutionist shows up on the scene with great plans for change, the average Nigerian would hiss and simply begin a mental/subconscious countdown until he/she is either paid off, killed off, or worn out, and then consciously mouth an ‘I told you so’.

Well said!
The emboldened state my point. Perhaps, my choice of diction was poor.
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by logica(m): 10:34am On Nov 05, 2014
What needs to be done is, they should start a movement. Start recruiting like-minded men and women. Go to the schools and recruit the most brilliant students. Sponsor these students if necessary. And begin to push them into the Nigerian Armed Forces, and Police Force. Jumping right into politics will not work. Only a long-term plan will work.
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by macof(m): 10:59am On Nov 05, 2014
I won't blame religion this time..I think I have blamed religion enough
After all we let religion in to destroy us...why did we do that?

I keep asking myself why did Our people allow religion to destroy them? Why did Oba Esigie allow Christianity into Benin empire? Which later destroyed it?
Why did Oba Abipa allow Islam in Oyo empire? Which later destroyed it

This question drives me to conclude that there's a problem with Africa that predates religion in Africa
Greed? Selfishness?? Lack of foresight? Wat exactly?
why were we so gullible? Easily black mailed and threatened to accept foreign dogmas that most certainly don't suit our life style...the Indians didn't let it happen to them, neither did The Asians

5 Likes

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 05, 2014
macof:

I keep asking myself why did Our people allow religion to destroy them? Why did Oba Esigie allow Christianity into Benin empire? Which later destroyed it?

This question drives me to conclude that there's a problem with Africa that predates religion in Africa
why were we so gullible? Easily black mailed and threatened to accept foreign dogmas that most certainly don't suit our life style...the Indians didn't let it happen to them, neither did The Asians

This is truth a few are reluctant to accept. It is time we stop blaming and start thinking. There is a solution. There just has to be.

1 Like

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by logica(m): 11:19am On Nov 05, 2014
macof:

Those instances were with duress from invaders.

macof:

the Indians didn't let it happen to them, neither did The Asians
India does not matter. If you speak of Asians; maybe the Chinese. But the Chinese are at least 1000 years ahead of every other civilization. So surely you do not expect them to be much influenced by the Europeans. Rather, the opposite.
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by rinrin23(f): 2:39pm On Nov 05, 2014
macof:

I will pull an excerpt from a great book I just read 'Destruction of Black Civilisation' by Chancellor Williams. In his book, Williams reflects on some great ancient African empires which prospered by among other things keeping at bay the white man. It goes a long way in explaining these issues and I hope it answers your questions.

''...the Mossi did not admit any settlement of foreigners in their territory. Mossi people believed that when the first white man appeared in the land the nation would die.'' (a possible corruption of oral history). The Mossi empire were a number of different powerful kingdoms in modern-day Burkina Faso which dominated the region of the upper Volta river for hundreds of years. TheY were particular in having little to no Berber or white influence.

'' … The Portuguese were the first white European people to arrive in West and Central Africa. They were not long in adopting the Arab strategy in dividing the Blacks against themselves – a strategy adopted by all white people.''…”Christian civilisation” served as the charm words in the white man’s magic with the incantations which hypnotised both the victims and himself. They believed they were being introduced to a better life, while the latter convinced himself that even the enslaved people were better under the white standard for civilisation – besides which there was no other. But they were smart enough to realise that the foundation for a permanent empire in the land of another people, built with their own sweat and blood, would be more successful if the minds of the people could be captured first . One did not go in with guns blazing. Only fools did this, except in cases where the “natives” were too damn smart and saw through every scheme, no matter how shining the Cross or how white the extended hand. …First of all, the really big thing was to change the Blacks into the white man’s image – process, which caused Blacks to reject and become ashamed of both their culture and themselves, the only people on earth to do so.''

A lot of these people fought and were able to hold off foreign dominance for decades.

For example Queen Nzinga of Ndongo (present day Angola)- she fearlessly and cleverly fought for the freedom of her people and kingdoms against the Portuguese, who were colonizing the area at the time. Nzinga converted to Christianity, possibly in order to strengthen the peace treaty with the Portuguese. Her kingdom was under attack from both the Portuguese and neighbouring African aggressors. Nzinga realized that in order to achieve peace and for her kingdom to remain viable, she needed to become an intermediary. She allied Ndongo with Portugal, and was baptised as Ana de Sousa Nzinga Mbande with the Portuguese colonial governor serving as her godfather. By doing this she acquired a partner in her fight against her African enemies, and ending Portuguese slave raiding in the kingdom. The new alliance didn’t last very long, however. Portugal betrayed Ndongo in 1626, and Nzinga was forced to flee when war broke out.. To build up her kingdom’s martial power, Nzinga offered sanctuary to runaway slaves and Portuguese-trained African soldiers. She stirred up rebellion among the people still left in Ndongo, now ruled by the Portuguese. Nzinga also reached out to the Dutch and invited them to join troops with her. Even their combined forces were not enough to drive the Portuguese out.
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 05, 2014
Infomizer:

What am I doing? I'm trying to amass enough wealth so that I can influence things,
You don't have to amass wealth before u start making a difference. If you don't start now, the culture of giving will be foreign to you. Giving to people shouldn't be about money alone, you can also give your time.

What do you do on the weekends? Why don't you volunteer to tutor elementary/high school students who are struggling? Why can't you organize a group of your friends and embark on a trip to a rural area?? Where you can inform illiterates about political issues and their rights.

You don't have to influence a thousand, start by influencing one person.

1 Like

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 05, 2014
BananaBender:

You don't have to amass wealth before u start making a difference. If you don't start now, the culture of giving will be foreign to you.
Madam, how body?
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 05, 2014
musKeeto:

Madam, how body?

I was going to diss you when I read this "They know how to tune the mind of our people to stop them from thinking rationally. They know how to pull our strings such that we rely on sentiments rather than rationality when making decisions. " but you kinda tied your opinion together at the end.

Gospel Truth cool :
"To them, the price of freedom was too great. Slavery was a much easier and safer alternative."

2 Likes

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Infomizer(m): 6:10pm On Nov 05, 2014
BananaBender:

You don't have to amass wealth before u start making a difference. If you don't start now, the culture of giving will be foreign to you. Giving to people shouldn't be about money alone, you can also give your time.

What do you do on the weekends? Why don't you volunteer to tutor elementary/high school students who are struggling? Why can't you organize a group of your friends and embark on trip to a rural area?? Where you can inform illiterates about political issues and their rights.

Don't get me wrong o! I try my best to influence everyone around me positively. My friends know, my associates know. I value relationships over money, yea! But I don't presently have the time to enlighten peeps the way you itemized. But I will. I promise myself. I will. That's why I'm working so hard now. So that I can have time for other important things in life later.
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 05, 2014
Infomizer:

Don't get me wrong o! I try my best to influence everyone around me positively. My friends know, my associates know. I value relationships over money, yea! But I don't presently have the time to enlighten peeps the way you itemized. But I will. I promise myself. I will. That's why I'm working so hard now. So that I can have time for other important things in life later.

I don't mean to be adamant but if you don't have the time now, you'll never have the time.

There is never time, you have to create the time. Promises are fickle, plus there is nothing binding you to that promise. Why don't you start by making a promise to volunteer 3 hours a week to a cause.
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 05, 2014
BananaBender:

I was going to diss you when I read this "They know how to tune the mind of our people to stop them from thinking rationally. They know how to pull our strings such that we rely on sentiments rather than rationality when making decisions. " but you kinda tied your opinion together at the end.

Gospel Truth cool :
"To them, the price of freedom was too great. Slavery was a much easier and safer alternative."
Hahaa. Guess you just dodged an ass whooping. tongue
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Infomizer(m): 7:57pm On Nov 05, 2014
BananaBender:

I don't mean to be adamant but if you don't have the time now, you'll never have the time.

There is never time, you have to create the time. Promises are fickle, plus there is nothing binding you to that promise. Why don't you start by making a promise to volunteer 3 hours a week to a cause.

I admit. You're right! Perhaps I'm just too lazy to commit myself. Or maybe I just don't want to start what I can't maintain. 3 hours ain't the problem, it's consistency that I see as the problem. I travel a whole gaddamn lot and it will definitely come in the way. That's why I've concluded within me to be rid of this phase of my life first...Abi?
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 07, 2014
Infomizer:

I admit. You're right! Perhaps I'm just too lazy to commit myself. Or maybe I just don't want to start what I can't maintain. 3 hours ain't the problem, it's consistency that I see as the problem. I travel a whole gaddamn lot and it will definitely come in the way. That's why I've concluded within me to be rid of this phase of my life first...Abi?

http://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2livoo/tifu_my_whole_life_my_regrets_as_a_46_year_old/

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by Infomizer(m): 3:15pm On Nov 07, 2014
musKeeto:

http://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2livoo/tifu_my_whole_life_my_regrets_as_a_46_year_old/

grin

I don die! Thanks man. You'll never be forgotten (and @BananaBender too)! Choi! If I only Nairaland allowed gold gilding! Dayum!
Re: What Are All The Intelligent Nigerians Doing Outside Positions Of Influence? by ghostofsparta(m): 9:45am On Nov 14, 2014
rinrin23:
Is it because the majority which is unthinking would rather have a ruler who is just like them.
Exactly. There's the answer.

(1) (Reply)

Photos+video: A Big Python Caught, Swallowed Two Dogs Together (watch Video) / OMG!! See How A Condom Advert Finished Trump,others / I Found This Snake Dead Just This Night While Powering Up My Generator.(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.