Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,081 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

Organ Donation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Organ Donation (746 Views)

Pastor On The Run Over Man’s Genital Organ Malfunction / Is Sperm/egg Donation A Sin? / A Critique Of Pastor Adeboye Recent Call For Donation Towards Church Expansion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Organ Donation by coolruler(m): 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2008
I lost an intimate friend recently, who died of kidney failure. He was an only child and could have been saved, only the mother refused to donate one of her own kidneys, owing to "religious convictions". So we all had to watch him die.

I ask you - Is christianity really against donating any of your organs to somebody in need?
Re: Organ Donation by AKO1(m): 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2008
Pardon my ignorance, but on what basis do some christians refuse organ transplant?

And no I dont see anything wrong with it, biblically.
Re: Organ Donation by coolruler(m): 4:01pm On Nov 20, 2008
@AKO
I don't either. But what would have motivated a mother to stand by and watch her only child die, without trying to help?

And she did this cos she was "obeying God". Which God? Sorry, I guess Im still bitter.
Re: Organ Donation by gentleemmy(m): 4:16pm On Nov 20, 2008
It's a pity you lost your friend, I really sympathize with you will stressing authoritatively that there is no biblical injunction, background or passage that restrains us from donating organs to fellow human to survive.

May God give you the fortitude to bear the loss!
Re: Organ Donation by Bastage: 4:18pm On Nov 20, 2008
Like AKO says - "On what basis?"

There is nothing in Christianity that condemns organ transplants. In fact, it's actively encouraged.
Even Jehovah's Witnesses authorise organ donorship with the only stipulation being that the organ be drained of blood before transplant. Although this isn't always practical, it doesn't amount to a ban on transplants. Whatever the mother's religious convictions, there is nothing in Christianity that says she is forbidden to donate.

To my knowledge there are only one or two religions that have banned organ donation - Japanese Shinto being one of them, but even their attitude is changing.
Re: Organ Donation by Lady2(f): 6:55pm On Nov 20, 2008
I lost an intimate friend recently, who died of kidney failure. He was an only child and could have been saved, only the mother refused to donate one of her own kidneys, owing to "religious convictions". So we all had to watch him die.

I ask you - Is christianity really against donating any of your organs to somebody in need?

What religious convictions, certainly not Christian.
Re: Organ Donation by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 20, 2008
@ all/poster,
whenever a thing is non-existent in an era, there's no way there'll ever be discussion on such topics.
These are some of the things that are being omitted in the bible, all because they are non-existent then, things like smoking, and also organ transplant.
But remeber, the bible also says, you must flee from anything that can cause your physical body harm, and organ transplant is also among, do you even know over-feeding is also a sin, cos it endangers the body system, and the law of the creator will hold eachone responsible how the body entrusted to him ws taken care of.

Organ transplant is wrong and not acceptable in the face of the almighty.

Is it good to please man and displease GOD?

And the issue of children, these words are for we parents:

Your Childen are not your children.
They are Sons and Daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
you may house their bodies but not their souls
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.
(Khalil Gibran: The Prophet. 1968)

Just think of those lovely words, and make judgment for woman in question.

I for one i dont see anything wrong with her not donating her kidney, cos she knows the law already and she can dare not transgress it
Re: Organ Donation by AKO1(m): 8:46pm On Nov 20, 2008
But remeber, the bible also says, you must flee from anything that can cause your physical body harm, and organ transplant is also among, do you even know over-feeding is also a sin, because it endangers the body system, and the law of the creator will hold eachone responsible how the body entrusted to him ws taken care of.

But do you know that having any other operation on oneself is life-threatning as well?
Re: Organ Donation by mnwankwo(m): 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2008
@Poster,

Is your question directed to all or only to those who draw from the bible? If it is open to all, then I can make a contribution. In the meantime, do not be angry at the mother of your friend. Things like organ donation/transplantation are not as simple as many imagine both from the physical and spiritual standpoint. If the question is open to all, say so and I will make my contributions. Best wishes.
Re: Organ Donation by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 20, 2008
@ m_nwankwo,
quite a long time, i will really like you to reach across to me via enitany20022005@yahoo.com, i really need to have some discussions with you.

@ A_K_O,
i will give you my reply by tomorrow, got to go to bed now
Re: Organ Donation by kokorunna(m): 12:39pm On Nov 21, 2008
Ignorance, the other day I heard a Jehovah Witness who refused a blood transfusion and died as a result of it. angry
Re: Organ Donation by Nobody: 1:16pm On Nov 21, 2008
@ kokorunna,
and also dont forget that ignorance is no exception to law,
whenever you find yourself in a new country, you must try to learn for yourself the do's and dont's of that country and familiarise yourself with them, so that you wont go against them.
The same also applies to the law of the father, the problem is that there're so many false prophets out there, who were not sent but proclaimed that they are the way, left so many legacies befor etheir departure, some of them inlcudes, vegetarian diet, refusal of blood transfusion and so many more.
But there's always a truth in the midst of all these confusion, so it is now left to the human spirit to seek out the genuine one out of them and hold on strongly to it.
You can not hold anyone responsible for your failure in getting the truth itself.

Based on the knowledge I've had conviction on, organ donation is babaric and sinful in the face of the most high.
But blood transfusion is only meant to strengthen the weak spirit.

@ A_K_O,
your intent on operation is the basis for this,
is it meant to rcorrect an affected part of the body, or total removal of an affected part so as not to spread and affect the other healthy areas, or is it simply for fashion sake (which is more common now).
So with these questions answered within you, then you can make your conclusion.

But on Organ donation: This is toatally wrong.
Re: Organ Donation by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 21, 2008
ORGAN DONATION.

Some even transplant organs from a recently pronounced dead fellows to other people, but this is done during an interval of time. What does that suggest?
If trully the one in question is already dead, then the organs should also stop being operational.

Then the question then now arises, how is that possible?

I will leave this question to be explained by m_nwankwo, but if he doesnt in the next 24hours, i will do the explanation myself.
Re: Organ Donation by pricelessj7: 9:43pm On Nov 05, 2013
Let's put ourselves in the mother's position and ask ourselves if we would have done otherwise.Though, there is nuffin wrong wit it,it has its attendant complications too.Besides,the cost of the transplant is quite exhorbitant

(1) (Reply)

My Christmas Message? There's Probably No God / hELL IS rEAL! / Does Jesus Love Children?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.