Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,627 members, 7,823,761 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? (7624 Views)

Osun And Nigerian Politics, A Must Read For All. / What Is Politics? A Must Read And An Eye Opener!!!!!!!! / Why Politics Is A Dirty Game? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 11:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
'Politics Is A Dirty Game'[/b]is a common statement among Nigerians, either old or young, male or female, educated or otherwise. The statement is as popular as Nigeria national anthem.

I have followed this section (politics section on NL) for a while now and I'm convinced we should get a better insight into what politics really mean because we have good political analyst here.

I am not a political analyst but I have browse out a few meaning of politics in order to guide our thoughts.

[b]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics

Politics (from Greek: πολιτικός politikos, meaning
"of, for, or relating to citizens" is the practice and
theory of influencing other people on a global, civic
or individual level. More narrowly, it refers to
achieving and exercising positions of governance —
organized control over a human community,
particularly a state. Furthermore, politics is the
study or practice of the distribution of power and
resources within a given community (a
hierarchically organized population) as well as the
interrelationship(s) between communities.

Dictionary Meaning
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
(functioning as singular) the practice or study of
the art and science of forming, directing, and
administrating states and other political units; the
art and science of government; political science
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
(functioning as singular) the complex or aggregate
of relationships of people in society, esp those
relationships involving authority or power
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
(functioning as plural) political activities or affairs:
party politics.

Nigerian
It seems Nigerians have a different view to politics from how the international world see it.

Politics: It art of maintaining ans sustaining a cordial relationship within family and immediate family. E.g If you have to wife, u have to play 'Politics' between them.

Nigerians often refer to politicians as politheives and all sort of name that indicates corruption, abuse of power and authority e.t.c.

How come do politics become a dirty game when we are generally involved in politics whether active or inactive?
What your definition of politics?
How much do you believe or detest this statement?

Let the political guru talk...
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by taiwoflb: 11:28pm On Nov 04, 2014
very true
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by lonelydora: 11:30pm On Nov 04, 2014
Because Nigerian politics involves killings, maiming opponents, going to juju house, etc.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by politricks: 11:33pm On Nov 04, 2014
Politics is a dirty game only when the players themselves are dirty.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by teemanbastos(m): 11:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
dpnds n ur definition
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 4:43am On Nov 05, 2014
Mod, I unconsciously posted this thread twice, kindly help to delete one of it.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by SeverusSnape(m): 5:11am On Nov 05, 2014
Politics especially in this part of the world is so "dirty", because it involves shady deals, killings, inciting violence, god-fatherism, fetish rituals, assassinations and so on and so forth, In Nigeria, if you're an easy going and extremely simple person, You may not be able to play the game. It's waters are so murky, It's not for the faint hearted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 6:58am On Nov 05, 2014
I'm really impressed with this statement, I have my own way of saying it though. "Politics isn't dirty but the player are." It has become very alarming that people now see anyone who showed interest in politics as a potential thief.
politricks:
Politics is a dirty game only when the players themselves are dirty.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 6:59am On Nov 05, 2014
Yes, I agree with you but I'd like to know what politics mean to you.
teemanbastos:
dpnds n ur definition
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 7:11am On Nov 05, 2014
I agree because that's how we see it in Nigeria. However, killing, doing juju and the likes happen outside politics in Nigeria too.
lonelydora:
Because Nigerian politics involves killings, maiming opponents, going to juju house, etc.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by size38: 7:20am On Nov 05, 2014
As a student of political science, I disagree with this statement. Politics is not a dirty game and can never be too. Rather the politicians themselves are dirty.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 7:27am On Nov 05, 2014
Have u ever joked with your family member u what to go into politics?. Don't be surprise they will tell you they don't want to lose you now.
size38:
As a student of political science, I disagree with this statement. Politics is not a dirty game and can never be too. Rather the politicians themselves are dirty.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 7:35am On Nov 05, 2014
And that's why we are still way off in terms of political and national stability. The honest, simple and easy going individuals are scared of going into politics, until that Pastor, Imam or sincere community leader leads I guess we'll remain way off.
SeverusSnape:
Politics especially in this part of the world is so "dirty", because it involves shady deals, killings, inciting violence, god-fatherism, fetish rituals, assassinations and so on and so forth, In Nigeria, if you're an easy going and extremely simple person, You may not be able to play the game. It's waters are so murky, It's not for the faint hearted.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by SeverusSnape(m): 8:01am On Nov 05, 2014
msmon:
And that's why we are still way off in terms of political and national stability. The honest, simple and easy going individuals are scared of going into politics, until that Pastor, Imam or sincere community leader leads I guess we'll remain way off.
you're right bro...
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by politricks: 10:25am On Nov 05, 2014
msmon:
I'm really impressed with this statement, I have my own way of saying it though. "Politics isn't dirty but the player are." It has become very alarming that people now see anyone who showed interest in politics as a potential thief.
Great minds think alike.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 10:30am On Nov 05, 2014
Bravo. I have sent a PM
politricks:
Great minds think alike.
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by Nctrice(m): 10:59am On Nov 05, 2014
No politics is not a dirty game! It's just a Game that could be played with dirty tricks or Clever outwitting of opponents! Now it's left to the player to decide which to play the game with (Clever Outwitting or Dirty Tricks) in other words "Blame the Players Not the Game"!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 11:03am On Nov 05, 2014
Well said bro!

Nctrice:
No politics is not a dirty game! It's just a Game that could be played with dirty tricks or Clever outwitting of opponents! Now it's left to the player to decide which to play the game with (Clever Outwitting or Dirty Tricks) in other words "Blame the Players Not the Game"!
Re: Opinion: Is Politics A 'Dirty Game'? by msmon(m): 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2014
Look at how dry this thread is, I'm disappointed by politicslander for the first time.

(1) (Reply)

Onitsha,aba_or Owerri / Towards Igbo-yoruba Unity And Coalition / Nigerian, Spanish Navies Collaborate On Improved Maritime Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.