Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax (12103 Views)

Poll: Shutting down the entire computer village indefinitely over tax issue:

I approve: 45% (67 votes)
I disapprove: 54% (81 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Lagos Computer Village Razed By Fire / About Computer Village,ikeja,lagos State.(largest I.T Market In Nigeria)pictures / First Bank Uyo Shut Down As A Result Of Juju (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by papabaks(m): 10:41pm On Nov 20, 2008
Hello fellow Nigerian, I was very shocked today 20/11/2008 when I got to our own ever busy Computer Village, and find out that the whole community was shut down by our beloved Governor, just because they don't pay their TAX, Please fellow Nigerians do you think this is the right thing to do at this point of time?

I think if at all he will do that, he have to first enlighten them and make them know the reasons why they have 2 pay their TAXS, then if they don't comply He have the full right to shut them down without any problems.

Or what can say about this Facts?

papa
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by RibaduFan(m): 10:51pm On Nov 20, 2008
Way to go Fash. U cant enjoy BRT, enjoy beautiful environment and not pay tax. Computer Village should be a major revenue earner for the state, but alas, the reverse is the case.

Pls lets us all be faithful in the payment of our state. Eko oni baje o.

P.S I no get choice my employer dey deduct mine constantly and dey remitt am passe passe.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by bawomolo(m): 10:59pm On Nov 20, 2008
the era of Nigerians evading tax should come to an end. that doesn't mean i support excessive taxation though.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:06pm On Nov 20, 2008
U don't run a democracy like millitary.

I think it's an absolutely stupid decision by the govt. of Fashola to close down the biggest IT market in w/Africa, Absolutely stupid.

Locking up stores make sense, thats standard. but closing the entire place, can you envisage how much was lost today. I am sure it's running into hundreds of millions of not over a Billion in revenue. Simply because he wishes to express his powers. He just wakes up and closes it. No notification, no pre-advise.

All the banks, and all those that have paid were foolishly shut off, I think the govt. needs to be taken to court over this sort of useless attitude!.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by RibaduFan(m): 11:14pm On Nov 20, 2008
@Damola

In other countries u get jailed for tax evasion. Fash was really lenient.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:16pm On Nov 20, 2008
You wonder sometimes whether fashola ever passed through school.

So tell me, they'll ask all of them to go and pay: 1M for the place to be opened or what?

And how we they, when all their monies are there?

To every action, there needs to be a goal that'll be achieved. Do they even know the number of stores that are there?, do they have proper accounting of how much goes in and out of there?. How will they determine the amount of Tax to be paid?

And if 100 out of 101 trader went to pay 10,000 to the state govt. will they open it or because of the remaining 1 left they won't.

What exactly is the goal of the closure?

Born Fools.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:19pm On Nov 20, 2008
@ Yemmy.

First of all, we are not in other countries.

We are in Nigeria, and in Nigeria, we were never accustomed to paying taxes. And even the little we did pay either in way of duties or levies were only stolen by fools. I mean 10years ago, Abacha was in power, there's no electric power, 10years down the line, it's even worse. Why pay some fools to send their girl friends to america.

And even at that. Things are done logically. How can you just wake up and close people's store without notification!, which one be that?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by RibaduFan(m): 11:20pm On Nov 20, 2008
Damola

Kindly go to bed.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:27pm On Nov 20, 2008
Better still you need to go to bed.

Then in the morning, clear you head and really advise your uncle fashola on how to go about this democratically.

I thought that guy is a Senior Advocate, ? behaving like a drop out.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:30pm On Nov 20, 2008
Interestingly, I don't think most of the traders even know what taxing is about, and how important it's for the state or the success of our dear eko.

Why not hire graduates to first educate them, and involve them in it, and see whether or not they will pay?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by Pataki: 11:32pm On Nov 20, 2008
Interesting. . . . . . but who keeps the records? undecided
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by RibaduFan(m): 11:36pm On Nov 20, 2008
The various tax acts are very clear on the punishment for tax payment default. Fashola is just being considerate and lenient. These guys should be jailed for cheating the government, for cheating u and i. They make a whole lot and pay nothing, and yet a poor employee like myself is forced to pay so much very month as tax. I know a lot of young men that pay monthly taxes in excess of N100k and yet they earn less than N1m monthly. These 'shyllock traders' make tens of millions monthly and dont pay a dime and u re playing their advocate. Hope u know aiding a crime is a criminal offense in itself.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by courage89(m): 11:41pm On Nov 20, 2008
@ Poster,

Did Fashola give any tax notice to computer village management?
How many notices?
What were the deciding clauses included in the tax notice?

I need to understand what is going on before I can comment.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:45pm On Nov 20, 2008
@ yemmy.

You are not being logical about this. They are traders, and not european traders, not american but Nigerian Traders. They don't even know how much they make!!!!!!

They just buy, sell and move on!!!.

@ courage.

No nofication, and even if there was any at all, lets be reasonable now, are you telling me NO ONE RESPONDED.

I hope they are not planning the crap they did to tejuosho oh, cos the way govt. play their games goes quite funny.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by RibaduFan(m): 11:47pm On Nov 20, 2008
Fashola's next stop should be all this bank workers not paying their PAYE taxes in full, then all those traders not paying shishi. Everbody should his/her tax in the right amount.

They can pay taxes yet they can buy beer and spray money in parties.

Damola, wish i had ur details, am sure u re due for a tax audit. We wont close ur shop, would simply jail u.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:51pm On Nov 20, 2008
u don't know,

I am just a student!!!, and you know what?, last time my bike was seized because I didn't have complete VIO papers, they now said, where was my tax papers, I said I am a student, dependent on my parents, and they were like, you still need to pay, how much?, N2,500, Then what next, no receipt, nothing, money gone into another corrupt pocket, or else my bike will sleep there.

Funny, isn't it, for tax to be fixed, it cannot work with force, it's to be imbibed in our blood, and that takes time, make it a part of the school system. from pry to uni. and educate people. Everyone will eventually pay, but only if we understand how monies won't go into the corrupt hands!!!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by boomtowner: 11:54pm On Nov 20, 2008
@damola 1
I WOULD NOT STAND AND LOOK FOR YOU TO CALL OUR DELECTABLE AND VERY HUMBLE GOVERNOR A DROP OUT,NO WAY, IF YOU HAVE A SHOP INSIDE THE VILAGE FINE UNDERSTANDABLE,BUT FOR YOU TO CALL HIM NAME IS WAY ABOVE YOUR PERSON.EVEN IF YOU WERE MY ENEMY AND I WANT TO DRIVE YOU OUT OF MY HOUSE I WOULD GIVE YOU A WARNING AND IF YOU FAIL TO HEED THE WARNING I TAKE ACTION, SO LOGICALLY I KNOW THAT A WARNING HAD CIRCULATED MONTHS BEFORE THE CLOSURE.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by lekywhite(m): 11:54pm On Nov 20, 2008
Demola and others that are against what fashola did, i will advice you get your facts before crucifying the honorable governor. im sure a notice would have been sent beore the closure.
let me remind you that fashola is one of the best brains we have in this country, so please get your facts befoe you start making noise here, abi you be pdp member?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:54pm On Nov 20, 2008
@ yemi,

If his next stop is bank employees that don't pay PAYE, then this is just game,

It's easier to track employees than traders, he should tackle bank employees first before traders,

I think someone needs to look into the records of Fashola, I am not sure he ever passed through school.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by SamMilla1(m): 11:55pm On Nov 20, 2008
You dont shut down a place like that ,
what if some people already paid,
dont tell me those banks an so on evaded tax as well.
Fish out those who refuse to pay and lock them up or lock their properties up.
Not the whole market,
Thats going backward.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by RibaduFan(m): 11:56pm On Nov 20, 2008
Damola

Pls for the sake of posterity u need to change ur attitude. Tax avoidance is a nefarious act that should be condemned by all. Pls ensure that ur parents are in full compliance with the law and that when u start working u dont default urself.

And pls study hard, so we can have one more deligent and patrotic Lagosian.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 11:57pm On Nov 20, 2008
Interesting how you guys are standing up for the governor.

Quite interesting.

His action doesn't represent that of a " DELECTABLE AND VERY HUMBLE GOVERNOR " and NO, I do not own a shop at computer village.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by RibaduFan(m): 11:59pm On Nov 20, 2008
Why was the entire market shut down? guess they were all in default.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 12:00am On Nov 21, 2008
@ Yemmy.

You don't listen nor understand yet, if you did, you might re think.

Education or communication is key here. Not soldier style.

Please tell me, besides the last 1yr, when was it ever publicized that tax payment is important, The masses are not educated yet!!!

Educate them, and stop behaving like a dictator, and the dictator style won't work anyway, even if they were forced to pay without reasons as to why they paid, will they pay in a yr's time,
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 12:02am On Nov 21, 2008
Including all the banks, were in default?,

Someone really need to sue the govt. to court of misconduct!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by boomtowner: 12:04am On Nov 21, 2008
@samilla
A DROP OF PALM OIL DEFLATES THE BEAUTY OF A WHITE FABRIC
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by RibaduFan(m): 12:06am On Nov 21, 2008
Damola

May be u dont listen to the radio. I believe the state govt is already doing enough in terms of orientation and enlightenment. I ve heard at least 2 radio gingos sensitising people on need to pay taxes and how to pay. Nigerians are just stiffnecked and like cheating.

Thanks for putting forward a good arguement on behalf of the traders, sure someone somewhere would have noticed what u pointed and would probably point it out to the government and perhaps our dearest governor would be more tactful next time.

Got to go to bed, so i can wake up early tomorrow catch a ride to work earn my wage for the day and pay my tax.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by boomtowner: 12:09am On Nov 21, 2008
@DAMOLA
HOW MANY CENTURY DO YOU NEED TO WARN YOUR PEOPLE ABOUT THE BEAUTY OF TAX?   Please tell me, besides the last 1yr, when was it ever publicized that tax payment is important,
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by lawyer(m): 12:12am On Nov 21, 2008
damola, how come you didnt tell me abouts today?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 12:14am On Nov 21, 2008
NEpa carry light again, and u say make I pay tax,

Nothin dey happen,

Is he the first man to collect tax or levies, the local govt have been doing it for years, what they do is what he should do, if you don't pay, lock up!,

And about orientation, since you know much about it, can anywhere here tell me exactly how much a student is to pay?. how much a trader is to pay, and how to calculate it?,

ANd really, yes, I think I need to rest now.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by damola1: 12:16am On Nov 21, 2008
The Law, well, the thing no concern me, so really, na secondary issue for me,

and try buzz me when you land office, me need to come say thank you.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by lawyer(m): 12:32am On Nov 21, 2008
No yawa, i'll call you when i get to the office. Good to hear say e no concern u, lol, but e go worry u die if lakeside shop de affected grin, lol, See to you 2 morrow.

Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FCMB Sees Flat Loan Growth, Eyes UK Licence / How To Start Mini Importation Business / Ponmo Consumption: Nigeria Losing Out Of $75bn Global Leather Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.