Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,738 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax (12113 Views)

Poll: Shutting down the entire computer village indefinitely over tax issue:

I approve: 45% (67 votes)
I disapprove: 54% (81 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Lagos Computer Village Razed By Fire / About Computer Village,ikeja,lagos State.(largest I.T Market In Nigeria)pictures / First Bank Uyo Shut Down As A Result Of Juju (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by farochron(m): 11:08am On Nov 21, 2008
Sun_temi

I don't know what you have against those two (texxa and Holyyeye). But I guess we are adults. lets try to approach matters with some level of maturity here. I'm not here for a fight. I appreciate my two brothers Damola and FBS. They ve demonstrated this in their post. The fact that we defer in opinion does not make us enemies. If US had not enshrued this they would not be where they are today. I come with an olive branch.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by Suntemi(m): 11:12am On Nov 21, 2008
U carry mouth, I mean U get mouth. Mind U, I havnt come to fight either.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by FBS: 11:21am On Nov 21, 2008
farochron:

I don't know what you have against those two (texxa and Holyyeye). But I guess we are adults. lets try to approach matters with some level of maturity here. I'm not here for a fight. I appreciate my two brothers Damola and FBS. They ve demonstrated this in their post. The fact that we defer in opinion does not make us enemies. If US had not enshrued this they would not be where they are today. I come with an olive branch.
mucho respecto! grin
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by faoni572(m): 11:44am On Nov 21, 2008
The environmental issue is not the topic or is it?

Envitonmental issue is not the topic here but it is one of the reasons why the entire village was closed down

As for the education of people, even our great grand fathers knew what tax is, they didn't need any TV or radio adverts for that, people are just trying to evade tax paying.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by ifeT(m): 11:50am On Nov 21, 2008
fAsHoLa 4 pReSiDeNt

@ damola1
i'm nt 2 sure if u r sane

eko oni baje
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by tubabie(f): 12:00pm On Nov 21, 2008
i have been going through the various postings and i feel compelled now to contribute.
This is the basic fact:
PAY YOUR TAX AS LONG AS U TRANSACT ANY FORM OF BUSINESS IN THE COUNTRY.
EITHER AS THE EMPLOYED OR THE EMPLOYER.
for those of you claiming ignorance, that is no excuse! shocked
Its only here in our own Naija that you are not even aware how serious tax evasion is. cool
Granted Fashola could have taken another approach , we all agree but PAY YOUR TAX cool
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by coolguyz(m): 12:31pm On Nov 21, 2008
lets take it easy wen we debate issues and nt chart of the course. someone has an opposing view doesn't make him insane na.

we all agree TAx evasion is serious, a lot of people do PAY their TAX but should they be made to suffer?, a lot of us hv compared naija wt other countries. pls, we too dey travel for vacation and things are documented well, u even get ur VAT rebate wen u make purchases in UK as a ''vacationist''. now by closing the mkt, who compensates those that are nt guilt of tax evasion for the loss in revenue they might hv suffered. do u knw that most of those dealership and distributorship thing u all see around are financed by loans most baks in that place set up shop so their clients can make daily lodgements from daily sales which helps reduce their interest charges as its being computed on daily rest (closing overdrawn balances).
these are some of the issues we are talking abt, not dt its wriong to compel people to pay but lets do it RIGHT.

BRF is still my best governor but dt doesnt mean wen i feel some decisions hv better alternatives i shld appear blind to it cos i'm a fan of his. lets address issues and nt sentments!

take a trip ard Computer Village there are a lot of known big IT firms there that hv offices on the island as well but they open sales shops there cos of the market boom there. most are exposed financially to banks, now they loose revenue, pay higher interest thus eroding profit and yet they remit PAYE on behalf of their staff to LASG.

its multiplier effect we need look at, i'm sure BRF wld put on his thinking cap and talk to his technocrats on how issues of TAx documentation, collection and remittances from the unregulated/informal sector are best handled and not by a brutal pronouncement - MARKET CLOSED!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by Kajiang02(m): 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2008
Nice one,
som wil have to suffer for tins to go rite,
so did d tax payers,
i tink d ratio to tax payers to tax evaders in ikeja is 8:92
sumtin good will most def. com out
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by akings100: 12:49pm On Nov 21, 2008
The close down of Computer Village is nothing but a mere display of power by the Governor. Why cant the Gov go and close down Balogun market where those Alhaja are selling clothing materilas. Just because the affected traders are Igbos. To me is victimization. His that the only place income is being generated in the state? The Gov should re-open the market and stop further victimization and exploitation of these poor traders.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by babaogun(m): 12:55pm On Nov 21, 2008
From the very little i know, tax generated from balogun market is probably the highest in any nigerian market.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by microgiant: 12:56pm On Nov 21, 2008
In Naija tax evasion is common, and most people don't pay tax because they don't see what the government is doing with the money.  They believe that it is only money gotten from the federation allocation that is used (even that no tangible projects to show).

It is wrong for the governor to close down a whole market or shopping area, because in this country their is so much lawlessness.  You can't close an entire market where there is law and justice because those who pay their taxes will sue your silly.

The right thing would have been to find out the evaders and charge them to court.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by princekevo(m): 1:01pm On Nov 21, 2008
As long as the government makes appropriate use of the taxes.I think every businesses or individuals are expected to pay their taxes.But as long as the tax is moderate for the tax payers.We cant only depend on our natural resource for every little budget.Neither shall we expect them to get the job done with their own private money.
   But i guess in Nigeria case this issue is very difficult handle.Cause the question remains,will or are government making efffective use of the tax payers money?Do the tax payers gets in return their benefits from the government which are,good roads,Good educational system,good water supply,good and affordable medical health care,employment opportunities,etc.All these are the basic benefits that encourages the citizen to be faithful with taxes. Until you an answer to this question b4 u can judge is Gov. Fashola is right or wrong.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by texazzpete(m): 1:04pm On Nov 21, 2008
FBS:

very funny what some people post.

Pay tax before complaning.

Ok I, pay tax. Can I now complain?

Yes! You can now complain. If you don't pay taxes, the government owes you nothing.
Why do you think the American public are very conscious of how their monies are spent? When you pay taxes then you become a stakeholder. No taxes = parasitism.

sun_temi:

Educative and informative indeed. Trash, Birds of same feather.

Usually the 'Politics' section attracts measured, intelligent discourse. Once in a while however, retards like yourself get in the door.

damola1:

Plus, you all think it's just about the traders.

The gravity of how many people it affected won't be known, and the revenue lost, which I strongly believe will run into over a Billion, in just the last 48hours, cannot really be ascertained.

Revenue lost to who? if these traders don't remit their taxes to the state and federal government, what loss does the Government incur?

damola1:

You know if I want to tackle this issue further, I strongly believe Fashola is tout or never really went to school.

I rather believe anyone who 'strongly believes' that a serving state governor (who won a viciously contested election) did not go to school must be lacking in the logic department.

damola1:

1. Inform the Traders of the need to pay taxes, special information, not radio jingle, flyer, and one on one, at least all the bankers and microfinance bank go from one store to another with their marketers.

2. He should put in place an accountability system to checkmate how much is being made, and help separate profit from cost of production.

3. Advise on need to collect tax, and state how is calculated.

4. Then after which he'll inform them of the need to collect or they face the law.

Chikenaa!

Why does the state government have to grovel before people discharge their civic duty? Do we really need to go house-to-house, shop-to-shop, cap in hand an appeal to people to pay taxes before they do so?

There is always bound to be harsh criticism from selfish quarters for progressive schemes. Minor irritation at not being able to purchase a printer or a computer should not automatically transmit to unneeded blame on the government for doing the right thing. Tax evasion is the norm in this country and it's time the kid gloves came off and a strong message is sent out.

The kid glove treatment people like damola advocate is what has crippled the fight against piracy in Alaba or fake drugs in onitsha. Every time the police raid those places you see crowds there condemning them for 'depriving people of lost revenue'.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by texazzpete(m): 1:09pm On Nov 21, 2008
princekevo:

As long as the government makes appropriate use of the taxes.I think every businesses or individuals are expected to pay their taxes.But as long as the tax is moderate for the tax payers.We can't only depend on our natural resource for every little budget.Neither shall we expect them to get the job done with their own private money.
But i guess in Nigeria case this issue is very difficult handle.Cause the question remains,will or are government making efffective use of the tax payers money?Do the tax payers gets in return their benefits from the government which are,good roads,Good educational system,good water supply,good and affordable medical health care,employment opportunities,etc.All these are the basic benefits that encourages the citizen to be faithful with taxes. Until you an answer to this question before u can judge is Gov. Fashola is right or wrong.

Excellent! You hit the nail on the head. I guess paying taxes can be a bitter pill to swallow especially when it seems precious little is done with the monies collected. But there's still a trickle down effect to the masses from taxes paid. If no taxes are paid at all, then there will be far less money to spend on our development.

Not paying taxes means the citizen has already given up on Nigeria. We do this in the hope that one day a good crop of leaders can harness these huge sums the citizenry contribute and make Nigeria a better place. Until then, we should do our part.

Complaining without paying taxes is just like refusing to vote yet complaining about our leaders.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by farochron(m): 1:10pm On Nov 21, 2008
Please lets not bring Tribal sentiments into this issue. many markets owned by other tribes have been shut in the past and no one raised dust. This was just shut it can still be re-opened. Some were burnt down and no tribe was castigated. Only those with complex feel that way when things happen.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by oluwdashmi(f): 1:12pm On Nov 21, 2008
Quote from: RevMallam on Today at 01:12:04 AM
The problem with Nigerian is that they want it both ways. They want a good country and everything for "free" provided for by the "government". Yet, when anyone tries to implement those, they complain.
Well, here in America, if you don't pay your tax, you get thrown in jail. Your Car, House and anything of value that you own gets taken by the government and auctioned off at whatever price the government can get for it. If after selling your stuff and they did not make enough money, you owe the balance.
Tax evasion is a serious crime that ruins your credit and that's just the start of your problems. With a ruined credit, you can not get a "good job". If they government convicts you of a felony, which tax evasion is, then you will not be able to vote again in many states.
They should stay shut down till they pay their taxes. While they are it, they should go after BBC, CNN etc. Fact is they doing business without paying taxes.
Wake Nigerians.
Revmallam

Good talk!!!
You really impressed me. We don't want to be disciplined in this country but we want the best. All that Nigerians can do is to compare Nigeria with the US but are never ready to pay the price.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by allboyz(m): 1:14pm On Nov 21, 2008
Hi all.

Nice posts here, let me add quickly that im not a Govt.official but im a patrotic Lagosian and Nigeria as well.

Look,the way forwards is for us to know what to do without been told and act to them quickly.

@ Damola1, what is wrong with you? i sincerely believe that you are only trying to make this a "debate" and just wanting to be on the otherside,right? because you have not made any single sense in all you have wrote at all.

- you mean that all govt. such as Lagos wouldn't have sent warnings or letters to those traders? and besides,since they are trading and making money in this BELOVED CITY of Lagos and even at the States Capital,Ikeja for that matter,are they needed to be told before they pay their taxes? common,this FASH man has a vision for Lagos,and he needs you and i,including our monies and his monies as well to turn this city into out "ever wanting paradise"

they had been advert on all local TV station such as LTV,AIT,TVC,MBI about taxes,where the GOVT even used KING SUNNY ADE to compose a song about PAYING TAXES,

Taxes are fundamentals, its worth jailing, and damola1, if you aren't careful,you might implicate yourself, remember that this sites stores IP ADDRESSES,

TO ALL:::: If you are working or NOT,as long as you are transacting a business,and your making profit  in this city,Lagos, pay your offerings and tthes in churches,and the calculate your taxes and pay at your local govt.

i love you all (including Damola1, ) i really mean it.

Lets make this city the best<not abuja, Lagos is the centre of AFRICA, FASH have a vision,why not key into it

Best Regards Lagosian, lets go back to work now and make more money grin

UP NIGERIA!!!!!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by Adexy001(f): 1:20pm On Nov 21, 2008
Yeah? Abeg FSB, where is it written that a government must notify the whole public(the gbebos and critics) before they close down a place? Even if it is about tax alone, I support Fashola 101%. If the hard way is the only way, then so be it. Na all of us go enjoy am. Nothing stops anyone from paying tax. When LASTMA started arresting people for not using seat belt, there was so much noise; what matters is the end result. It does not matter if you wear seat belt because you like it or for fear of LASTMA, at least you are wearing it. So shall it be for tax too.

Carry go BRF! We want sanity!!!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by AmakaOne(f): 1:26pm On Nov 21, 2008
"A Revenue Official, Akin Ariyo, confirmed that "the place is shut down because the operators of this village failed to pay their taxes. Fewer than 10 per cent of them have responded, so we are waiting for more than 90 per cent."

http://www.independentngonline.com/news/tfpg/article02

Everyone who is saying the government action was too high handed, of all the billions that go through that market every day less than 10% of the traders saw fit to pay their tax.

Non-compliance with the state government directives over a couple of months that all dealers and traders to pay their taxes were ignored.

Secretary to the Ogunbiyi Community Development Association, Barr.Mopelola Ogunajo explained that the closure was in conjunction with IRS and Lagos State Waste Management Agency (LAWMA).

Said she: “IRS just informed us this morning that they have been talking to CAPDAN since two weeks ago over tax; apparently nothing was communicated to anyone of us.

CAPDAN (Computer and Allied Products Dealers Association of Nigeria) is the representative union of most of the traders at Computer Village.
CAPDAN have been collecting LAWMA’s money without remitting it.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2008/nov/21/national-21-11-2008-013.htm

Can somebody please tell me how much more lenient the gov should have been?

People conducting business without paying tax despite numerous requests by the government for them to pay.
People collecting money in the name of government but not remitting it as they are supposed to?
Requests to abide by basic sanitation and environmental regulations ignored?

Even the capping of Income tax payments by the govt was not motivation enough for over 90%of them to comply?

N2500 or N5000 is really too much tax to pay for those traders who make in excess of N300,000 on a good day?
Daily turnover in that place runs into billions of Naira.

Why oh why do Nigerians always want to defend lawlessness?  embarassed

We all say we want Nigeria to change for the better, well the change must start with each one of us.

We want better roads, better education, better this, better that,
How is all that to be funded if the businesses do not pay tax?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by dome2: 1:28pm On Nov 21, 2008
I had thought posters would have picked up one of the dailies to know the full details insted of insulting one another. Find below from THE PUNCH of today

Govt shuts down Computer Village, Ikeja markets
By Mudiaga Affe
Published: Friday, 21 Nov 2008
Lagos State Government on Thursday shut down the popular Computer Village and other markets located at Ikeja for tax evasion, poor sanitary condition and other offences.

The exercise, which took place in the early hours of the day, paralysed commercial activities and also caused serious traffic congestion in Ikeja.

According to a government official, the exercise was part of the ongoing clampdown by the state government on business operators in the state who had defaulted in the payment of their taxes estimated to be running into millions of naira.

Apart from the Computer Village, other markets affected are those located at Otigba, Oremeji and Kodesho streets, as well as those along Simbiat Abiola Road.

The exercise was carried out by the combined team of Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Enforcement Unit, popularly called Task Force, and men of the Kick Against Indiscipline, as well as officials of the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service.

As early as 8 a.m., the enforcement unit numbering about 200 stormed the markets in their ‘Black Maria’ truck, ordering all occupants in the area to shut down their shops and offices or risk being arrested. Consequent upon this, there was pandemonium.

Traffic was brought to a halt, as the entire place was taken over by armed task force men, causing panic among the people.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Taxation and Head, LSIRS, Mr. Ade Ipaye, did not respond to the several call attempts to his mobile phone line.

However, the Chairman of the State Task Force, Mr. Bayo Sulaimon, a Superintendent of Police, who led the enforcement team confirmed through the Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ayotunde Hundogan, that the markets had been shut down for violation of state government laws. He listed their offences as tax evasion, environmental nuisance and street trading.

Sulaimon said the exercise became necessary following the refusal of the operators to heed several abeyance notices sent to them.

Though he said some of the traders were initially arrested, they were released later.

Sulaimon who still had his men stationed in strategic areas of the sealed markets, said the place would remain under lock and key indefinitely.

While warning other defaulters to comply forthwith, he added that the exercise was ongoing, as the state government would soon move to other parts of the state.

One of the traders at the computer village, Mr. Sola Okeh, who spoke with our correspondent, lamented the situation.

He said he had lost about N300,000 to the closure, and appealed to the state government to reconsider its stance, as many families would be affected, considering that the Yuletide is around the corner.

Though, he denied knowledge of notices warning them to pay their taxes, he appealed for more time to comply, saying the leadership of the market would definitely take a pragmatic step in that direction.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by Johnokon(m): 1:33pm On Nov 21, 2008
Nigerians are hard. Only hard means yeild results in this country. Fash's approach is what present Nigerians will understand. Though Undemocratic, it could achieve quick puplicity( negative or otherwise) but if he later authorises the opening of the market, there cant be a better advert grin No one would be in doubt as to the need to pay taxes and promptly too.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by allboyz(m): 1:36pm On Nov 21, 2008
@Adexy001 , AND AMAKAONE, Thank you for your posts, we arelly have to fight this taxation issue into the medula oblangata of this lawless Lagosians, i don't why they aren;t ready to sacrifice their little for the benefit all themselves,could this be related to selfishness? because i wonder why you are making a deal with a Lagosin involving money issues,huge or little profit,and the govt. had made available the road,building and electricity available for you in the C.V,Ikeja to make your business boom and yet,you are refusing paying tax, they lock up that place for extra 2 weeks even after the payment of that tax, MUST THEY BE TOLD YOU PAY TAXES?? NO LAGOSIANS WANT Take the bold step? instead of them saying, i think we need to pay "ROAD BILLS" so that they use that to maintain our roads, they are shouting, bad road,okay na,pay taxs you no agree,wetin u won come do?

na wa ooo
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by AmakaOne(f): 1:45pm On Nov 21, 2008
For the love of God, They don't even  have to leave their stalls at the Village to  pay tax.
The Lagos State govt is moving its people into the 21st century that they are all selling right there in the Village.

http://www.lasg-ebs-rcm.net/
The Official Online Resource for Revenue and Taxation for the Government of Lagos State

Direct Bank Lodgment System (DBLS) of the revenue collection process and provide information for tax administration and planning while monitoring and co-ordinating  all revenue generating activities of the state.

It is a sophisticated information network system linking Tax Stations & other Revenue Agencies to lodgment banks. It uses the Consolidated Online Bank Information Systems (COBIS) messaging system for inter-bank communications by creating and maintaining a database of all revenue collection activities thus allowing for on-line tracking.

LASG-EBS-RCM:

* Increases the internally generated revenue base of Lagos State
    * Provides easy administration, monitoring and co-ordination of all revenue activities in the state
    * Assists to identify fraudulent debit, diversion of funds and excess charges on the state accounts

They have access to computers(no be wetin them dey sell?), they have access to the internet (Cafe's boku for CV), but they still want to hold on to backward thinking.

What is wrong with our people?

For decades we have been complaining that we are getting nothing from the government.
Now that we are being offered something better we still want to carry on with our  hardheadedness and lawlessness?
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by ernal(m): 1:54pm On Nov 21, 2008
Najia sha!

The level of literacy in this country is still so so low.Education n More Education is the key success!!! No Nation will grow with her people not being educated.You all should stop comparing nigeria to the west or East.We all a third world developing country.Education is the Key.Why do you send your kids to school from nursery classes ,why cant you just put he or she into a university and see how he/she performs.Reforms with no education is mere mirage! Long live Naija!!! grin
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by AmakaOne(f): 1:59pm On Nov 21, 2008
ernal:

Najia sha!

The level of literacy in this country is still so so low.Education n More Education is the key success!!! No Nation will grow with her people not being educated.You all should stop comparing nigeria to the west or East.We all a third world developing country.Education is the Key.Why do you send your kids to school from nursery classes ,why can't you just put he or she into a university and see how he/she performs.Reforms with no education is mere mirage! Long live Naija!!! grin

I'm sorry , but that sounds to me like a total cop out.

A person who can find some supplier in China to sell them Computer goods and go through the entire process of shipping, paying duties, paying customs and all that and then saying I did not pay taxes where I sell the stuff because the govt did not educate me does not hold water.
At least that's MHO
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by ernal(m): 2:11pm On Nov 21, 2008
lol, shey na only people for computer village must pay taxes,barbers kon,agbero kon! So Ma,Please lot of people dont even know the tax payment processes and what to do,all they know is tickets,way local government people dey give them.Be like say most of una no even dey waka for lagos,una dey sound western. No be ticket okada people dey collect from local government to local government.See this is a third world nation dont assume too much jare! Go to the streets n do a survey jo!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by ScanLess: 2:28pm On Nov 21, 2008
Let me tell y'all the harsh reality about taxation in Nigeria. It stinks !!!  angry, what with those in power embezziling all the money paid by hard working citizens without giving them electricity, good roads, water supply, . . . infact someone should pls tell me what they ever use the little one that is paid to do? , buy guns for their thugs to harras innocent citizens. Tell you the truth , paying tax in Nigeria doesnt make sense to me. i have stayed in my house without electricity for about 2months now and NEPA brought bills for us the other day , we refused to pay !!. Infact i'm thinking of how to boycott NEPA cpmpletely.

Now if Fashola is sincere in his clamp down on tax evaders, pls is it a secret that many other big companies in Lagos and Nigeria as a whole dont pay tax?, the ones that pay only make false declarations and pay less than 25% of what is their real due. how many of those companies has he shut down, why single out Igbo traders to make a show of power that will still not yeild any real result.  I think he is just looking an excuse to dislodge the traders because of their ethnicity. If fashola is serious, that exercise should be all encompassing and thorough, not selective.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by ernal(m): 2:37pm On Nov 21, 2008
ScanLess i agree with U!

I heard it was not only for Tax,i hear Environmental reasons too.But sometimes i wonder if many people on this site are silverspoon or just mere sit at home mum n dads n all they do is plug to the net n eat popcorn People dey suffer abeg!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by fyneguy: 2:46pm On Nov 21, 2008
If you paid your tax and allowed vagabonds to mismanage it, then u have yourself to blame. That's why people should be interested in who their governors are.

Get charged to court for tax evasion, and see whether I-didnt-pay-cos-they-embezzle-our-money will discharge and acquit you.
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by zukkymike(m): 2:55pm On Nov 21, 2008
Tax? who wan carry his hard earned money go give corrupt politicians and civil servant? They have to be accountable first,
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by GoldCircle: 3:07pm On Nov 21, 2008
I am 100% for the Lagos State Government!
Re: Entire Computer Village Shut Down Over Tax by Ollajay: 3:09pm On Nov 21, 2008
Many things appear to be wrong about our tax system in Nigeria. The poor pay more than the rich, tax paid are embezzeled etc . However, these does not exempt citizens from payment of tax.

Again everyone knows about paying tax. No one could say he is not entitled to pay tax just because he was not properly educated as to payment of tax. Ignorance is not an excuse in law!

Payment of tax is enforced everywhere in the world because people do not like to pay tax. I am not sure Gov Fashola's method of enforcement is the best. May be I do not have all the facts.

Normaly, tax offenders are to supposed to be charged to court and be jailed/fined if found guilty.

Where however the citizens are displeased with government mehtod of enforcement of tax, they are free to go to court.

But I know citizens dont easily go to court because of the reasons why the government did not charge tax offenders to court. i.e. delay in court justice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ponmo Consumption: Nigeria Losing Out Of $75bn Global Leather Industry / BUA Cement Holds AGM, Declares ₦72.3 Billion In Profit After Tax / Items Worth Millions Of Naira Destroyed As Fire Guts Shops In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.