Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? (14249 Views)

Please I Wanna Learn Programming, Which 1 Is The Best Among These It Schools Niit, Karrox, Aptech, A / Which 1 Should U Learn 1st? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by inyang007(m): 9:09pm On Dec 01, 2014
Hmmm
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by chibwike(m): 9:10pm On Dec 01, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

Always the ignorant one, aren't you?
Blood of jesus!!!
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by paulworld(m): 9:10pm On Dec 01, 2014
Everybody is falling but me am standing on top of all the three the op listed
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Alenkakent(m): 9:10pm On Dec 01, 2014
None...

Pick urs @ my signature

Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by pryd(m): 9:11pm On Dec 01, 2014
I know nothing about codes and sorts but I enjoyed ur post nonetheless.
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 01, 2014
cant ever understand programming ....
olodo like me sad
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by FemoLondon: 9:20pm On Dec 01, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

Always the ignorant one, aren't you?
LOL, very true for that guy .... btw, this your NL ID .... wow, it will shake some folks here wink
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 01, 2014
lilmaxfidel:
cant ever understand programming ....
olodo like me sad

It's not all about intelligence, bro. It actually runs in the blood. You either have it or you don't.

So don't call anybody olodo here, not even yourself.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 01, 2014
GozieDiora:

It's not all about intelligence, bro. It actually runs in the blood. You either have it or you don't.

So don't call anybody olodo here, not even yourself.
cheesy
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by GreatOlu1: 9:30pm On Dec 01, 2014
I belong to developer Charles Taylor
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by shaggy007(m): 9:32pm On Dec 01, 2014
teemanbastos:
[size=16pt]How do you recognize Akpos in
School?
He is the one who erases the notes
from the book
when the teacher erases the board.[/size]

grin grin

grin
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 01, 2014
Fact is most Nigerian "programmers" are just editors who rely on templates, stack overflow and patch codes.
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 01, 2014
One day one day...

1 Like

Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 9:45pm On Dec 01, 2014
basbone:
You forgot developer nelson mandela. They believe in the new african software empire and oppose any white apertheid dominance in the I.T industry. People like Seun.
Also, we have the bokoharam developer, the hackers and crackers.
oooooh boi I see u grin
basbone:
You forgot developer nelson mandela. They believe in the new african software empire and oppose any white apertheid dominance in the I.T industry. People like Seun.
Also, we have the bokoharam developer, the hackers and crackers.
oooooh boi I see u
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by easystudy101: 9:49pm On Dec 01, 2014
true talk

1 Like

Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by UnimkeAk(m): 9:52pm On Dec 01, 2014
I'm my president on this one fellas.

Whatever you guys do just try and make softwares that make my engineering designs easier..(Inna 100 years maybe grin)

Or na only website una d design?

1 Like

Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 10:01pm On Dec 01, 2014
Think fast Think Big Think Straight
Op don't compare Africa to other continent ooo Neva
See ehh Passion without power is baseless ooo
Take Nija for example der is no environment for programmers at all cos u can't be shocking Garri n at d same time Lite no dey n u want dey fink of one code or one better tin o
Nigerian DAT study IT abroad are highly Respected ooo cos we are super gifted wen its comes to new ideas n making things happen.
But we DAT don't have DAT opportunity we do wat we know we can easyly capture n bring in cash so to survive so pls stop categorizing us n looking down on us ooo despite all d boko n power absent we still dey n we r doing well n fine.
Team Hustle Hard#
GM$$$ "GET MONEY"

1 Like

Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 10:02pm On Dec 01, 2014
easystudy101:
true talk
This warri boi#
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by MsNas(f): 10:08pm On Dec 01, 2014
Lmao. I am both Idi Amin (Cos I can code in C++ and Python) and Robert Mugabe cos I know .Net, C# and Java but I like sticking to one language. grin
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by laykhorn(m): 10:09pm On Dec 01, 2014
LOL! Idi Amin describes me so well. Everything Idi Amin
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 01, 2014
I am the developer who just jumps all over all sorta technologies, but i do have a lot to showcase sha (contrary to your principles). And I still have some real ACES up my sleeves that I am yet to showcase. . .
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Evasmillingguy(m): 10:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
Nice post
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by gememerald(m): 10:28pm On Dec 01, 2014
Do we have developers like that here in nigeria People in this part of the world don't want to stress their brain thinking, they are few.
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Elgaxton(m): 10:37pm On Dec 01, 2014
davidsmith8900:
The past two years I’ve had the chance to interact with over 500+ developers on this African continent - I’ve attended Developer events across the continent from Kampala, Lagos, Accra, Nairobi and interacted with developers from Cairo, Kinshasa, Jo’bug, Maputo, Dar-es-salaam, Monrovia, Kigali, Juba, Lusaka and Dakar.

At events like GTUG’s, DevFests, Barcamps, Where camps, Google G Days, Hackathons, RHoK’s, University Talks, code-labs - name it, I’ve been there. So I feel confident to write about my findings. I have put thesedevelopers in 3 different categories with characteristics relating them to previous African dictators. From my findings i can say these are the kinds of developers you will find in Africa.

Developer Charles Taylor
Just like Charles Taylor , these developer’s strongest weapons are rape and torture of existing code. They willalways exploit existing tools to construct something to meet the client’s needs.

Developers in this category are the guys who have only mastered CMS’s (Content management systems) the likes of Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, concrete5 etc. These guys can edit and patch up the source code, they can tweak these platforms to what they really need them to do. They only edit, re-arrange, pull out, make few changes and have what they need. They can’t build a module from scratch or re-write one.

Just like Charle Taylor’s wealth, some thing i noticed also is that these guys are rich in work to showcase - sites, blogs, templates etc they have and can show you what they have done. At Tech events these guys have very little to contribute as they can’t really write code and work in groups. Something I’ve also noticed with these guys is that a few are moving to RAD platforms like cakephp, codeigniter. Most of the developers in this category write code in or understand PHP.

Developer Robert Mugabe
Just like Robert Mugabe these developers mostly have gone to school and passed through some British/colonial education (programming lessons). They have Microsoft certifications or have done some IT/CS schooling. They use any Microsoft tools given to them and they only know those tools. Developers under this category mostly run on Windows machines and code in Java and .Net Technologies. These guys have some good programming knowledge but purely base everything they do on what they learnt in school.

I’ve noticed that most of the people who win prizes at Tech/Coding events fall under this category. The thing I hate about these guys is that they are rigid, don’t try new things, stick to Java and .Net technologies and are not willing to learn new technologies. They are not into FOSS technologies and know nothing about **nix platforms. They don’t contribute to Open source initiatives so you won’t see them own github or Google code accounts, they have all their code on their laptops. The thing I like with these guys is that they get things done.

Developer Idi Amin
Just like Idi Amin a primary 3 drop-out who didn’t go to school but rose through the ranks in the army to reach far as to rule a Country, these developers mostly have learnt whatever skills they got on their own. I’ve noticed that they mostly own Linux / Mac Machines. They code in languages like Perl, Erlang, Bash, Python, PHP, C++ etc.

Just like Amin who declared him self President for life, these developers at Code events don’t like to be told what to do or how to do things, they just want to be left alone to figure out everything on their own. Something I’ve noticed with these guys is that they understand the OOP principles and can build modules from first principles (bottom - up). They also have another problem, they have nothing to showcase as most of their code / projects are incomplete.

On top of development these guys know basic Sys Admin on Linux platforms and for development, they go as far as understanding coding styles, re-factoring, code readability, Test driven development, Scrum, Modeling etc. These guys also care about nitty gritty things like memory and CPU usage etc.

Developers under this category also get things done but need lots of patience on your side, you need to take them delicately as they are easily offended. These are the kind of guys you will find sited in isolation at back of i-hub Nairobi , next to Pete’s coffee with dark screens and looking very busy like they are changing the world, yet they may just be installing a **nix patch.

The biggest problem with developers in this category is that they don’t have girlfriends and live all their lives on their laptops (including weekends) and some in the Bar.

All in all, I think most of the developers in Africa fall under the developer Charles Taylor and developer Robert Mugabe, that’s why the two most common languages used here in Africa are PHP and Java.

Original Post - http://thedatafugee..com/2012/11/the-3-types-of-developers-you-will-find.html

So what category do you fall under? If you aren't a developer then you don't have the right to critic anyone's work.
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
gememerald:
Do we have developers like that here in nigeria People in this part of the world don't want to stress their brain thinking, they are few.
Yeah smart guy, that is where you and I fall into i guess. . . .
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by okych16(m): 11:39pm On Dec 01, 2014
nawa o... you people are beginning to scare me, I've been dreaming to be a developer (tho, i don't know jack about it). But the sounds of codes and coding in your comments is tryin to make me see it as a big deal... But by the way, where and how can i start?
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by pak: 11:55pm On Dec 01, 2014
I am most definitely idi-amin !
Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Howmon: 12:01am On Dec 02, 2014
I'm the Charles Taylor type tho, oyinbo sef dey give me work. Ain't no white tweaking like we. Charles Taylor approach thought me the MVC structure of widely used CMSs and i'm excited I never spent 5yrs in the university learning that sh*t.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? by Nobody: 12:23am On Dec 02, 2014
osile2012:
I don't know which category to place the developers of the site on my signature but i am sure its not idi amin. The guys that developed the site on my signature dont believe in templates, they are creative and think outside the box. The are dynamic in thinking and understand that development in today's world goes beyond the technical aspect, so they factor in human behavior and characteristics into their systems.

Rather than going after what ever tom dik and harry is after just to get clicks and adsense payouts, they invested time in developing a system that will not only help the Nigerian consumers, but also improve the quality of service rendered by various brands in Nigeria.

feel free to click the link on my signature to take part of this life changing experience.

baba, no fall we hand na

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Can You Recommend A Good Computer ICT Training Center? / I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! / Which Programing Language Is Best To Start With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.