Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,117 members, 7,867,225 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 12:32 PM

Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed (23870 Views)

First Class, KPMG And Combine O'level Results / What's The Highest Salary, Your O'level Certificate Has Fetched You? / Sample Of Letter Of Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by obisite: 9:20am On Nov 08, 2014
PROCTOR:
And who is perfect??

So because no1 is perfect should make one who pass through primary, secondary, and polytechnic not to write letter well abi..

Or a yardstick for one to condole what's wrong?

1 Like

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2014
tebirim:
Did you really type that?Please.... tongue so which language is generally acceptable in Nigeria? Tell that to your interviewer when next you go for an interview. And for your info, we all speak English In my company and not your language. Stop trying to support her...

You speak Nigerian English in your company....fair enough. The earlier you focus on the fundamental skills required the better for your company. There are a growing number of Chinese companies in Nigeria where workers have little understanding of English language, yet they deliver on the job . In the UK there are many EU workers who cannot speak English yet they deliver on their job.

My point is language is a means of communication. As long as she's communicating that's fine. smiley let's not idolize a foreign language as if without learning it life stops

1 Like

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by sholay2011(m): 8:56pm On Nov 08, 2014
belabela:
English is not her first language. Besides she doesn't need English to be a waitress.
I'll go with this comment.
Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by sholay2011(m): 8:59pm On Nov 08, 2014
belabela:

You speak Nigerian English in your company....fair enough. The earlier you focus on the fundamental skills required the better for your company. There are a growing number of Chinese companies in Nigeria where workers have little understanding of English language, yet they deliver on the job . In the UK there are many EU workers who cannot speak English yet they deliver on their job.

My point is language is a means of communication. As long as she's communicating that's fine. smiley let's not idolize a foreign language as if without learning it life stops
Best comment on this thread.

And thanks to the person that corrected the OP.
Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Nobody: 3:40am On Nov 09, 2014
Yes life stops tongue if you start working in a bank then speak rubbish to your customers..., shocked The general language people or anyone from any tribe can understand is English, i enjoy speaking my Igbo language, but it has a limit.
belabela:

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Nobody: 3:43am On Nov 09, 2014
See your teeth grin
sholay2011:

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by nellytivities(f): 9:51am On Nov 09, 2014
sholay2011:

Don't you get that a hotel job is a hospitality/customer service job? If you want to retain your customers,at least you shouldn't speak your native language to them. If I go to a hotel and I can't relate with the waiter, il move to a place where i
belabela:

can relate the next time.
A hotel is not a construction company. No one cares about what you speak in a construction company. There are hotels that won't even employ you if you cannot speak queens English.
You must not oppose on every thread. Think well before you talk. Those people in Europe you're talking about, go check out the kind of jobs they are doing.
What then is the need of going to school if you think English is not key? You should have opted out and just engage yourself with one of those Chinese construction firms.
Or maybe you should have posted your comments in your native dialect. And then apply for jobs in your native dialect since English is not important even in a service industry.
Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 09, 2014
I love you so sosososososososososo much smiley
nellytivities:

Don't you get that a hotel job is a hospitality/customer service job? If you want to retain your customers,at least you shouldn't speak your native language to them. If I go to a hotel and I can't relate with the waiter, il move to a place where i can relate the next time.
A hotel is not a construction company. No one cares about what you speak in a construction company. There are hotels that won't even employ you if you cannot speak queens English.
You must not oppose on every thread. Think well before you talk. Those people in Europe you're talking about, go check out the kind of jobs they are doing.
What then is the need of going to school if you think English is not key? You should have opted out and just engage yourself with one of those Chinese construction firms.
Or maybe you should have posted your comments in your native dialect. And then apply for jobs in your native dialect since English is not important even in a service industry.

1 Like

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 09, 2014
nellytivities:

Don't you get that a hotel job is a hospitality/customer service job? If you want to retain your customers,at least you shouldn't speak your native language to them. If I go to a hotel and I can't relate with the waiter, il move to a place where i can relate the next time.

Queens English in Nigeria smiley it's even rarely spoken in the UK.

To the main issue. I am sure the girl who wrote that letter can speak English quite well. Her writing skills does not necessarily affect her pronunciation. For example I have friends who speak Yoruba language but cannot write it. I can write french better than I can speak. I can speak basic mandarin but cannot write it at all.

You do not go to school to learn English, you go to school to be educated. You can be educated without understanding anything in English language. As I pointed out earlier English is a medium of communication. I have met intelligent Koreans, Chinese, Japanese and french nationals who can hardly express themselves in English. That's why we have interpreters.

Your idea of the operations of a construction company appears to me to be so basic that it appears to me that you think it's just mixing cement and sand. It is one of the most important industry in the 21st century involving detailed engineering. You don't need English language to know the strength of a pillar or the load a bridge can bear etc

If my audience understand my native language then I will post my comments in my native language, since language is a medium of communication. The important thing is to pass my message across such that it is understood by the receiver.
Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by nellytivities(f): 5:59pm On Nov 09, 2014
Since your audience cannot understand your dialect, youre using the English language. That's the same thing with a hotel, you have to impress your guests. Come to Hotel Excel in warri and you'll feel intimidated when you hear the receptionist or even the bar man speak.(I think if you can't write well then you're managing to speak English. It's easier to write than to speak that's the same reason you and I can write in French better than we speak). This is one of the many hotels around.
Speaking of construction companies, I have worked with CCECC, you should know it.The main engineers there were Chinese and Nigerians were used as the labourers and could speak anything.!the top Chinese people were able to speak and write in English. This is because they were responsible for interacting with govt officials to bid for contracts.. Note that they could write, they write to the press, govt, etc. It has always been easier to write. and get to proofread the write ups made by their Nigerian secretaries.
A Nigerian student, even though she shouldn't speak well should be able to write.
belabela:

Queens English in Nigeria smiley it's even rarely spoken in the UK.

To the main issue. I am sure the girl who wrote that letter can speak English quite well. Her writing skills does not necessarily affect her pronunciation. For example I have friends who speak Yoruba language but cannot write it. I can write french better than I can speak. I can speak basic mandarin but cannot write it at all.

You do not go to school to learn English, you go to school to be educated. You can be educated without understanding anything in English language. As I pointed out earlier English is a medium of communication. I have met intelligent Koreans, Chinese, Japanese and french nationals who can hardly express themselves in English. That's why we have interpreters.

Your idea of the operations of a construction company appears to me to be so basic that it appears to me that you think it's just mixing cement and sand. It is one of the most important industry in the 21st century involving detailed engineering. You don't need English language to know the strength of a pillar or the load a bridge can bear etc

If my audience understand my native language then I will post my comments in my native language, since language is a medium of communication. The important thing is to pass my message across such that it is understood by the receiver.

1 Like

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Gydion(m): 7:20pm On Nov 09, 2014
Chai! Chai!! Chai!!!

There is God oooo.
Na only her waka come.

1 Like

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by nwanerianthony(m): 7:46pm On Nov 09, 2014
Not very long ago, the thought of writing WAEC used to strike fear into everybody such that you were almost not expected to get all your papers at one sitting. How things have changed #sigh

1 Like

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by luckaz(m): 9:02pm On Nov 09, 2014
RIP ENGLISH LANGUAGE

SO SAD

1 Like

Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 10, 2014
luckaz:
RIP ENGLISH LANGUAGE

SO SAD

English langauage died long time ago
So sad

Adieu English language
Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 11, 2014
She used "am" as I'm and so did u. U should employ her.
Re: Letter Of An O'level Holder. i'm so disappointed by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 11, 2014
SMH. What a shame. When i used to work in a hospital, i also witnessed grown adults unable to write their own names. It was just soooo bad. I couldn't believe it. Which way Nigeria?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hallmark University Massive Academic And Non-academic Staff Recruitment / How I Was Scammed At A Job Interview / Vacancies@global Fleet Oil And Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.